Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mewse posted:

The AMD-based Zotac ZBoxes are very good for HTPCs and more affordable than the NUC

e: Oh.. for emulation you need a strong processor and the refresh of the NUC will have a decent i5 probably

Really, an i3 wouldn't be enough to run emulators? I used to run Mario64 and Zelda:Ocarina of Time in HLE64 on a Pentium II with a voodoo2 card! Has the community moved entirely to low-level emulators now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FreakyZoid posted:

The new Boxee is a stupid cloud DVR, the discontinued Boxee Box is a thing that's good at streaming your local media.

Is there some reason you think the new cloud DVR can't stream my local media? It says it can on the webpage. Also, I'm in Dallas so the cloud DVR service is available to me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

poemdexter posted:

Is there some reason you think the new cloud DVR can't stream my local media? It says it can on the webpage. Also, I'm in Dallas so the cloud DVR service is available to me.

Unless they have updated it, you can only stream from a locally connected usb drive.

edit: looks like they added DLNA support last month.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Do you have an OTA antenna installed?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

Unless they have updated it, you can only stream from a locally connected usb drive.

edit: looks like they added DLNA support last month.

I'll be ripping all my daughter's DVDs to an external harddrive that will probably sit right on top of the boxee box.

wolfbiker posted:

Do you have an OTA antenna installed?

Yes I do, but that's just lagniappe on top of the original reason for considering the boxee solution.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Seriously, dont get a boxee tv. its a poo poo product. It overheats, freezes. You cant pause live tv or rewind.

If you have any kind of bandwidth limitations from your ISP (most people do) it will totally gently caress you up the rear end since it has to upload and download everything.

There are plenty of bluray players out there that can play mkv off a hard drive, even a roku can i believe.

The companies last software update was over a year ago for the boxee box even though they had just promised updates every 3 months at the time.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 24, 2013

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Don Lapre posted:

The companies last software update was over a year ago for the boxee box even though they had just promised updates every 3 months at the time.

There has been a group that created a boxee box hack upgrade (http://boxeeplus.com/). I've been using it on mine, and it's not bad. I still am thinking of upgrading to the NUC when it refreshes, though.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

Seriously, dont get a boxee tv. its a poo poo product. It overheats, freezes. You cant pause live tv or rewind.

If you have any kind of bandwidth limitations from your ISP (most people do) it will totally gently caress you up the rear end since it has to upload and download everything.

There are plenty of bluray players out there that can play mkv off a hard drive, even a roku can i believe.

I honestly probably won't use the DVR features at all. I hope the box functions well just pulling movies off of my harddrive hooked up via USB. Otherwise, I might look into the Roku.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

poemdexter posted:

I honestly probably won't use the DVR features at all. I hope the box functions well just pulling movies off of my harddrive hooked up via USB. Otherwise, I might look into the Roku.

If you just want something that reads movies off a hard drive buy any number of better products out there like bluray players, wdtv, netgear neotv, roku 2/3/hd.

The boxee tv is poo poo, do not buy one.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
My Boxee Box stopped showing any video via Airplay (it can still do still photos and audio). From looking at the Boxee Box forums, it looks like this is a widespread problem. Expect more problems since Boxee Box support is no more. With that said, it's pretty good at local media.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Thanks guys for the info. I'll go ahead and dodge the bullet of boxee and start looking at Roku and others.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

poemdexter posted:

Thanks guys for the info. I'll go ahead and dodge the bullet of boxee and start looking at Roku and others.

You may be better off looking at a WD Live or ASUS O!Play Mini. Both of them do fine with local content and I believe both of them can read DVD images/VIDEO_TS so you wouldn't even have to convert them if you got a big enough external hard drive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unless you want to burn them back to dvd's to play on a dvd player I woudln't bother ripping them and not converting to h264.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you want to burn them back to dvd's to play on a dvd player I woudln't bother ripping them and not converting to h264.

I thought it was worth bringing up considering it's for her daughter. A 3TB hard drive could hold about 320 untouched discs (assuming they are all double layer DVDs maxed out at 8.7 GB each) and they would behave in the same manner DVDs do (with menu, extras, etc) without the bother of having to convert them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Call Me Charlie posted:

I thought it was worth bringing up considering it's for her daughter. A 3TB hard drive could hold about 320 untouched discs (assuming they are all double layer DVDs maxed out at 8.7 GB each) and they would behave in the same manner DVDs do (with menu, extras, etc) without the bother of having to convert them.

Is there some consideration needed when ripping DVDs and preserving menus/extras and such? I assumed a DVD ripped would keep all of that stuff intact.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

poemdexter posted:

Is there some consideration needed when ripping DVDs and preserving menus/extras and such? I assumed a DVD ripped would keep all of that stuff intact.

Ripping a dvd to h264 will be just the video by default. Most software would also let you rip the different audio tracks but you will lose the menus and things.

If you want to keep all your menus and poo poo get a dvd ripper than rips to a .iso file.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 24, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

poemdexter posted:

Boxee TV is poo poo. for under $100, discontinued Boxee box is not. Itll playback all your locally connected content, with cover art, and be simple enough for your daughter to use.
Airplay on mine works fine.

Another option is WDTV live. itll also give cover art and play back local content. Boxee GUI is a little more user friendly, IMO.

All other streaming boxes would lack cover art, or not be kid-friendly, as far as I know.

XBMC is the best option, but youll have more setup time, and spend $150-200 by the time you're all done. There would be plenty of buttons on a keyboard or IR remote that a youngster might accidentally hit, resulting in you coming in to help her get going. you might want to consider adding budget for a programmed remote, that only has the minimum amount of buttons required to play movies.

Or you could just buy a boxee box and be done. I see them on craigslist for $100, or amazon for $115 and up.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2013

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cornjob posted:

Boxee TV is poo poo. for under $100, discontinued Boxee box is not. Itll playback all your locally connected content, with cover art, and be simple enough for your daughter to use.
Airplay on mine works fine.

Another option is WDTV live. itll also give cover art and play back local content. Boxee GUI is a little more user friendly, IMO.

All other streaming boxes would lack cover art, or not be kid-friendly, as far as I know.

XBMC is the best option, but youll have more setup time, and spend $150-200 by the time you're all done. There would be plenty of buttons on a keyboard or IR remote that a youngster might accidentally hit, resulting in you coming in to help her get going. you might want to consider adding budget for a programmed remote, that only has the minimum amount of buttons required to play movies.

Or you could just buy a boxee box and be done. I see them on craigslist for $100, or amazon for $115 and up.

She's 5 and half and has no problem working the cable box to get to DVR content as well as operating and my iphone and an ipad. I'll continue the research and avoid the Boxee DVR specifically.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Don't rip the kids DVDs as is, they're filled with 10 minutes of unskippable lovely commercials!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
So I reluctantly ditched OpenELEC for Ubuntu 12.10 (so I can run Crashplan, Flash player, Emulation, etc) and 1080p playback isn't quite as good as it was with OpenELEC. I'm running the Catalyst 13.4 drivers and XBMC 12.1 Frodo. Do I need to manually install xvba? For some reason I thought it was included in the new version of XBMC.

Also, the buttons on the remote aren't mapped quite the same, is there a way to import whatever remote control config file OpenELEC used?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Has anyone tried Roku 3 with Plex?

I'm still on the fence about what to get - I would really like something that can play a variety of files without transcoding (WDTV Live), but all of the channels on the Roku sound kickass... being canadian though I will need a DNS Proxy, which for $4/month is probably fine.

But then there's the fact that I won't be able to put an emulator on it, and the fact that my current bluray player does a really amazing job upscaling DVD and AVI/MP4 (Oppo BDP-83). Is there any reasonably priced HTPC solution that would support emulators but be as good as the Roku/WDTV?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Guitarchitect posted:

Has anyone tried Roku 3 with Plex?

I'm still on the fence about what to get - I would really like something that can play a variety of files without transcoding (WDTV Live), but all of the channels on the Roku sound kickass... being canadian though I will need a DNS Proxy, which for $4/month is probably fine.

But then there's the fact that I won't be able to put an emulator on it, and the fact that my current bluray player does a really amazing job upscaling DVD and AVI/MP4 (Oppo BDP-83). Is there any reasonably priced HTPC solution that would support emulators but be as good as the Roku/WDTV?

My buddy let me try his Roku 3. I used USB with external drive to play a ripped DVD and it worked great. I can probably set Handbrake to convert it a little higher quality. I'll try Plex in a sec and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Hooked drive to my PC and installed Plex. I pointed Plex to my drive and it pulled the artwork and info for the movie based on the name. Plex interface for Roku is 100x better than just the USB drive channel or whatever it's called. The only downside is that it took about 20 seconds to a minute to start the movie. Pausing and unpausing was no big deal. Fast forwarding took an additional 10 to 15 seconds to reload the movie at that point.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 26, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

So I reluctantly ditched OpenELEC for Ubuntu 12.10 (so I can run Crashplan, Flash player, Emulation, etc) and 1080p playback isn't quite as good as it was with OpenELEC. I'm running the Catalyst 13.4 drivers and XBMC 12.1 Frodo. Do I need to manually install xvba? For some reason I thought it was included in the new version of XBMC.

Also, the buttons on the remote aren't mapped quite the same, is there a way to import whatever remote control config file OpenELEC used?

Whoops forgot about this thread. Got everything installed now per the guide, 1080p playback is still sluggish though

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Apparently Roku shut down the Video Buzz channel 9 days ago which allowed you to watch youtube on the device. This was a huge selling point for me since my daughter also loves Mr. Rogers Neighborhood episodes on youtube. Anyone know of an alternative channel?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

fletcher posted:

Whoops forgot about this thread. Got everything installed now per the guide, 1080p playback is still sluggish though

Are you using XBMCbuntu? For some reason the XBMC that ships with that doesn't support hardware rendering.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156927 for an easy fix

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Horn posted:

Are you using XBMCbuntu? For some reason the XBMC that ships with that doesn't support hardware rendering.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156927 for an easy fix

Nope I'm using Ubuntu 12.10

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whats the easiest way to install windows 7 on a AD12, just a bootable USB?

vv Thanks.

KoB fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 26, 2013

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

KoB posted:

Whats the easiest way to install windows 7 on a AD12, just a bootable USB?

Yep, just be aware it can't really do Netflix.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Anveo posted:

Yep, just be aware it can't really do Netflix.

I've currently got a powerfull htpc/steambox, but I'm not really happy with the experience. Whats the best solution if I want to run netflix, steam, xbmc/plex from one machine, and control it with my harmony?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

BrettRobb posted:

I've currently got a powerfull htpc/steambox, but I'm not really happy with the experience. Whats the best solution if I want to run netflix, steam, xbmc/plex from one machine, and control it with my harmony?

Basically build a midrange gaming PC, and spend extra money for quiet parts and a nice case that wouldn't look out of line in your living room. Even them you probably won't be satisfied with Netflix unless you're on Windows 8. If you have a gaming console, I'd recommend using Netflix on one of those. If not, some cheap streaming device would work.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

EC posted:

...and spend extra money for quiet parts
Definitely do this. I built a HTPC and ended up replacing the PSU and CPU cooler within days because they were too loud, costing me more than if I had just coughed up the money for the quieter components in the first place.

As for the Harmony, buy a cheap Media Centre compatible remote control that works with the Harmony (like this) and use its IR sensor. Works perfectly for me.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Guys I'm using a Zotac AD12 and everything is working perfectly. I have a 1tb external hard drive connected to it though and it's running out of space. I want to replace that. How would I do this?

If I get a 3tb external I could move the stuff on the 1tb over to that and have 2tb's left. There's got to be another way though. I don't really understand RAID and stuff though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Daric posted:

Guys I'm using a Zotac AD12 and everything is working perfectly. I have a 1tb external hard drive connected to it though and it's running out of space. I want to replace that. How would I do this?

If I get a 3tb external I could move the stuff on the 1tb over to that and have 2tb's left. There's got to be another way though. I don't really understand RAID and stuff though.

You can plug in more than one drive with no problem :) I currently have a 4TB, a 3TB and a 2TB hooked up to mine.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can plug in more than one drive with no problem :) I currently have a 4TB, a 3TB and a 2TB hooked up to mine.

How will XBMC work with this? Will I just tell it to look through all of the drives or what?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Daric posted:

How will XBMC work with this? Will I just tell it to look through all of the drives or what?

You just "set content" on your media folders on all drives and XBMC takes care of the rest.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

evilalien posted:

You just "set content" on your media folders on all drives and XBMC takes care of the rest.

Ok perfect, thanks.

I'm mostly asking because I want to convert all of my dvds/blurays and have them all on my computer. The extra space is going to be needed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know a fast way to refresh Plex to recognize new poo poo you just put on a NAS it's pointed at? Our Plex server is basically lovely in this respect. Or does anyone know something other than Plex that works well with a Roku?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know a fast way to refresh Plex to recognize new poo poo you just put on a NAS it's pointed at? Our Plex server is basically lovely in this respect. Or does anyone know something other than Plex that works well with a Roku?

turn on "update my library automatically" in your settings - this should do it, I think, because it will update whenever it detects changes... not just hourly or whatever.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what the newer SKU for the Zotac AD10 is? It's showing as discontinued with most vendors up here. I need something like it for my girlfriends place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone know what the newer SKU for the Zotac AD10 is? It's showing as discontinued with most vendors up here. I need something like it for my girlfriends place.

The AD12 is the replacement.