Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
No pre-order offer came up for the download version in the North American store today.

They could release the game with the pre-order bonuses for the first week only, like they did with LittleBigPlanet Vita, but they haven't confirmed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

Only if you sacrifice a boss with her in your group.

Huh, that's odd, I don't think I've sacrificed anything except Soltiara in my game, and she still ditched out.

Oh, I should drop my psn in here. It's killerqueenpr.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, I'm still not sure about this, but what do the points at the end of battle and the SE/LE Monster Souls do? Do they affect what sort of spells you gain at the end of battle?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, I'm still not sure about this, but what do the points at the end of battle and the SE/LE Monster Souls do? Do they affect what sort of spells you gain at the end of battle?

They are materials for enabling the use of unlocked arm Sigils.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I may have missed it in the menus, but is there a catalouge of what is needed for each sigil?

And if the souls don't decide what spells you get after each mission, what does?

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
Some of you guys are already in this game so deep, the guides posted here have been really impressive. I'm just getting my feet wet but I shared the love in my own way, through a preview on the website I write for: http://www.gamezone.com/previews/2013/04/23/preview-soul-sacrifice-suggests-it-might-be-time-to-buy-a-vita

One more week!

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Fancy Hat! posted:

I may have missed it in the menus, but is there a catalouge of what is needed for each sigil?

And if the souls don't decide what spells you get after each mission, what does?

The game doesn't tell you what you need to unlock sigils, only what you need to equip the ones you have already unlocked.

The spells you get after a mission are listed on the mission page before you start it (higher score gets you the spells further down the list), extras come from using black rites or saccing someone and breaking boss parts.

This website https://sites.google.com/site/soulsacrificeguide/home has a bunch of stuff that might help you.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Fancy Hat! posted:

There are two requirements for each sigil. The first is hidden and it's what's required to "unlock" it. Normally this is linked to using the spell type or playstyle in question that the sigil supports. Examples would be using Arm attacks to unlock the Brawler Sigil, playing 10 hours to unlock the Rewards Sigil, etc.

Once a sigil unlocks it still need the Essence requirement to use. This can be viewed by looking at the grayed out sigil in the Right Arm menu and hitting Triangle. This will show you what SEs/LEs you need to complete it as well as what you have so far. A full list of what Essences you have can be seen by hitting start on the sigil menu.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Kaelan Zero posted:

It sounds like the solution to this is 'DMZ your PS Vita on your router' which is uh... yeah. An interesting take on networking.

It'd be great to figure out what ports Soul Sacrifice uses. It's possible that you could forward those specifically to your Vita, and then the problem is just assigning it a fixed IP on your network.

The Vita's 'connection test' says that my Vita is 'NAT Type 2', which apparently is known to cause problems with some games. I suspect if it were NAT Type 3 the game would be completely unplayable in multiplayer.

Does anyone have a way to do some digging and find out what ports are used? I can't, because my router (AirPort Extreme) exposes no logging that I can find for connection attempts/failures and the traffic from my Vita does not make it to my PC's Wireshark instance - probably too aggressive filtering somewhere. I looked around and it doesn't seem like anyone out there has done any research into what ports this game uses or how to get it working right on an ordinary network.

That is rather disappointing, then. The wifi in my apartment near school is a public one where each user has to enter in a specific username and password to be granted access, so DMZ and port forwarding arent really options for me. Guess i'll have to wait until i'm back home in July before being able to play online.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Dropping my PSN in here. Talk-c ( with the dash ).

Also what ports do i need to open up on my router to host a game of Soul Sacrifice? Does anyone know?

Edit: Just learned to read apparently, So the ports arent known yet?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
New trailer out from SCEA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkiIMQl89M

It's a shill for why you should pre-order the game. Shows off the costumes, starter spells, and Japanese VO pack.

Kinda a let down when you consider this is what SCEJ did for their release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXQv0VVD584

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Do pre-order bonuses apply to PSN as well?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fancy Hat! posted:

Do pre-order bonuses apply to PSN as well?

SCEA absolutely refuses to answer, so I'm saying no. This only applies to NA, EU can pre-order the game digitally with bonuses here.

SalsaguyX
Mar 31, 2012
"In a conversation with IGN, Soul Sacrifice creator Keiji Inafune confirmed that not only does he want to do a sequel to his PS Vita-exclusive game Soul Sacrifice, but that he’s actively talking to Sony about making it happen."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/a-soul-sacrifice-sequel-for-vita-talks-are-ongoing?abthid=517843351d5e81ed1f00002b

Well that was quick.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

SalsaguyX posted:

"In a conversation with IGN, Soul Sacrifice creator Keiji Inafune confirmed that not only does he want to do a sequel to his PS Vita-exclusive game Soul Sacrifice, but that he’s actively talking to Sony about making it happen."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/a-soul-sacrifice-sequel-for-vita-talks-are-ongoing?abthid=517843351d5e81ed1f00002b

Well that was quick.

Sony needs a "Monster Hunter" type game, if not in practice, in following, to keep the Vita competitive.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

dvorak posted:

Sony needs a "Monster Hunter" type game, if not in practice, in following, to keep the Vita competitive.

Well, I hope he expands the game in other ways than combat then.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

As a heads up, my local Target had this out on its shelves for sale.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I went to my local Target and they said they had copies, but couldn't sell it due to release date shenanigans. This is the second time I was inches away from getting Soul Sacrifice early :negative:

All stores should have copies by now though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Holy poo poo, this game is so fun. :buddy: Just downloaded the demo today and I'm having a blast. Haven't unlocked the multiplayer portion yet, but if anyone wants to add me, my PSN is bluenoteswing.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 25, 2013

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Mine did too. I went to buy it and the Machine said it wasn't due for release yet

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

elmer fud posted:

Mine did too. I went to buy it and the Machine said it wasn't due for release yet

Oh okay. I didn't try to buy it myself (I was hunting for Dragon's Dogma), but it was on display with all the other games and it looked like some copies were gone. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Oh okay. I didn't try to buy it myself (I was hunting for Dragon's Dogma), but it was on display with all the other games and it looked like some copies were gone. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Tried to get it at Gamestop and Target but both wouldn't give it out cause the cash registers told them not to. :negative:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, if there's a grand list, add my name to is, PSN IainMacKillin

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Add me to the list, so I can play multiplayer with actual strategy. PSN is FewtureMD10

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm SiftRock so if anyone wants to sac some souls go ahead and add me.

Also I feel like I can kill Ceberus like... I'm overprepared but with all the horror stories I hear I still find myself intimidated

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Go to the OP and put your info into the handy google spreadsheet, guys.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Belzac posted:

SCEA absolutely refuses to answer, so I'm saying no. This only applies to NA, EU can pre-order the game digitally with bonuses here.

An update on this, SCEA finally decided to speak out on this issue:

"PR Manager posted:

We *absolutely* recognize this is a pressing issue for our fans. We’ll have more info on this early next week.

Thank you for your patience!

So while the EU store has had a digital pre-order up with full bonuses for months now SCEA is going to hold out to MAYBE the day before the game comes out. What a joke.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are there any underrated spells in the demo people are tooling around with? Decided to make a Falcon Feather because Monsternip and the Gloves seemed ehh and I'm totally in love with it. Harpy's air attacks don't even come close to me anymore.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I feel like that's kind of a hard thing to gauge due to the fairly limited number of spells in the demo. I'd say some spells are objectively worse than others, not necessarily underrated, for example the non-elemental ball rolling spell that only deals half as much damage as the Jack-O-Lantern spell.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

KillerQueen posted:

I feel like that's kind of a hard thing to gauge due to the fairly limited number of spells in the demo. I'd say some spells are objectively worse than others, not necessarily underrated, for example the non-elemental ball rolling spell that only deals half as much damage as the Jack-O-Lantern spell.

Warning: :spergin: ahead.

It gets an extra cast though which equates to two extra attacks. It's not enough to make it "better" than the solider's ember but it does do a lot to make it more utility. The rolling ball attacks are good for more than just doing damage. You can use them to block attacks, stun the boss, and move large distances quickly.

But let's also look at some math:

Solider's Ember does 150 heat damage per attack with two attacks per cast and 4 casts.

150 x 2 x 4 = 1200 heat damage.

Bolderbug Shell does 100 non-elemental damage per attack with all the same rules except it has 5 casts.

100 x 2 x 5 = 1000 non-elemtal damage

So with a cut and dry look the Bolderbug looks like it "sucks" but one thing that's not obvious is the elemental damage. Attacking an enemy that is strong vs. heat will reduce the damage by 50%. This changes the damages to 600 from soldier's ember, making Bolderbug the obvious choice.

A final thing to take into account is that Soldier's Ember is a rank 2 spell while Bolderbug is a rank 0 spell. Ranks are show by the number of points on the circle around the offering's icon. Two 3 star Bolderbugs can be combined into a rank 2 version of the spell which does 150 non-elemental damage while still having an extra cast over Soldier's Ember, making it better is every way (except in a case where a monster is weak to Heat but that should be obvious).

With this specific spell as the example I'm thinking what the game is trying to say is that Cursed Point break offs are great spells that add flavor. When you get them they seem more powerful than the spells you've been getting but as time goes on the normal spells catch up and over take the boss spells. I'm not saying that some spells aren't bad while others are great, but this game is deeper than the demo might let on.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Belzac posted:

Warning: :spergin: ahead.

I get what you're saying but in terms of demo content alone can you even rank things up to the next level? Also isn't the only thing restant to fire the Jack o' lantern, which is pretty much the weakest boss around?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I think you can't rank up any spells in the demo, so for the demo the Soldier's Ember might be one of the most powerful spells available.

In the full game, is there any reason you can't just grind low-level spells and combining them to form high-level spells?
I know from the demo you can even get powerful spells like the golem by combining low-level spells.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I know the demo has a lot of spells, but I'm curious what kind of sampling are we getting from the main game? In terms of spell types, that is. I know the number of spells is pretty high when you consider uniques and elemental varieties, but I'm wondering if there's many more classes of spells in the main game. Such as giant fist, root spells, blade spells, etc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawnfire posted:

I know the demo has a lot of spells, but I'm curious what kind of sampling are we getting from the main game? In terms of spell types, that is. I know the number of spells is pretty high when you consider uniques and elemental varieties, but I'm wondering if there's many more classes of spells in the main game. Such as giant fist, root spells, blade spells, etc.

I'm wondering if there is a fire arrow spell (i.e. fire equivalent to Ice Thorns or Lightning Spears). That poo poo would be super helpful against the Harpy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dawnfire posted:

I know the demo has a lot of spells, but I'm curious what kind of sampling are we getting from the main game?

ENB's site, while I wouldn't call it canonical or complete, suggests we'll see 10 more types. Elemental stuff is a pretty big deal in this game, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of grinding for your boss-killing setup.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm wondering if there is a fire arrow spell (i.e. fire equivalent to Ice Thorns or Lightning Spears). That poo poo would be super helpful against the Harpy.

There is, but not in the demo.

Edit: Seeing as the derpy allies weren't doing so well, I decided to try out multiplayer. It's worse than the JP demo and I have no idea how they managed that. It takes a lot of work to out-Capcom Capcom. Is the experience any better on Adhoc Party?

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

scissorman posted:

I think you can't rank up any spells in the demo, so for the demo the Soldier's Ember might be one of the most powerful spells available.

In the full game, is there any reason you can't just grind low-level spells and combining them to form high-level spells?
I know from the demo you can even get powerful spells like the golem by combining low-level spells.

Dawnfire posted:

AlternateNu posted:

Yes, the full game has much more content (specifically in terms of offerings) than the demo. There's at least 10 types (as in melee attacks, projectile attacks) that aren't available in the demo, maybe more.

Mailer posted:

Edit: Seeing as the derpy allies weren't doing so well, I decided to try out multiplayer. It's worse than the JP demo and I have no idea how they managed that. It takes a lot of work to out-Capcom Capcom. Is the experience any better on Adhoc Party?

What do you mean? In terms of lag? I've only noticed it a bit more, it's certainly not unplayable or unduly frustrating. Just time your actions a tiny bit quicker than you normally would to compensate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Belzac posted:

What do you mean?

Here's what happens about 80% of the time:
1. Select online
2. Click ok to the eula message
3. Wait for connection...
4. Choose a room. You can't filter by mission and no one names the rooms after bosses, so just search for all and pick one at random
5. If you're lucky, you get a failure message and get booted back to the online menu but you're still connected.
6. Network Error! Restart from 1.

If you've managed to get a connection to the room, lucky you. Now it's:
1. Wait for players to load.
2. Browse their spells because you can't Ready yourself while waiting for that one guy stuck on connecting. If none of the players load, that guy is you.
3. After five minutes or so either that guy or everyone else will leave. If everyone (or you) left, start your room search again.
4. Assuming the host isn't waiting on a replacement for the guy who left, the mission starts.

Once I'm actually in the game it plays decently. It's nowhere near monhun but the game isn't so fast that minor latency makes it unplayable. Once I'm actually in with a group I can go through multiple missions with them. Getting connected to other people in the first place is the hard part. This makes mission failures go from a minor annoyance at pubbies to nerd rage material. If you get stuck with clowns then you could be looking at a 10+ minute search to roll the dice again.

I'm talking to you, rear end in a top hat in that last game who refused to save or sacrifice anyone when Cerb was red. :argh:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mailer posted:

Here's what happens about 80% of the time:
1. Select online
2. Click ok to the eula message
3. Wait for connection...
4. Choose a room. You can't filter by mission and no one names the rooms after bosses, so just search for all and pick one at random
5. If you're lucky, you get a failure message and get booted back to the online menu but you're still connected.
6. Network Error! Restart from 1.

If you've managed to get a connection to the room, lucky you. Now it's:
1. Wait for players to load.
2. Browse their spells because you can't Ready yourself while waiting for that one guy stuck on connecting. If none of the players load, that guy is you.
3. After five minutes or so either that guy or everyone else will leave. If everyone (or you) left, start your room search again.
4. Assuming the host isn't waiting on a replacement for the guy who left, the mission starts.

Once I'm actually in the game it plays decently. It's nowhere near monhun but the game isn't so fast that minor latency makes it unplayable. Once I'm actually in with a group I can go through multiple missions with them. Getting connected to other people in the first place is the hard part. This makes mission failures go from a minor annoyance at pubbies to nerd rage material. If you get stuck with clowns then you could be looking at a 10+ minute search to roll the dice again.

I'm talking to you, rear end in a top hat in that last game who refused to save or sacrifice anyone when Cerb was red. :argh:

I can solve all your problems. Play with goons. It cuts out 90% of the problems you've addressed (sometimes you still get network error but you still actually connect). Never not play with goons.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My PSN is Chickenzilla225.
Will we be able to download this at midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

elmer fud posted:

My PSN is Chickenzilla225.
Will we be able to download this at midnight?

Nope! You get to wait for the PSN to update at some time Tuesday afternoon. Unless it updates late, which it might.

• Locked thread