Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

clockworkjoe posted:

I wrote up the centaur morph. Are any of you contributing to the playtest discussion over there? I've posted a few times but some of the people seem to ignore any posts that counter their arguments.

Cognitive dissonance?

Anyways this week I was going to sleeve characters in some of the Transhuman morphs and see how that goes since everybody in my group is attached to their egos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I have just finished creating my first EP character. This was so, so painful. What have I been doing to my players?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

KillerQueen posted:

I have just finished creating my first EP character. This was so, so painful. What have I been doing to my players?

you're not using the spreadsheet are you?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KillerQueen posted:

Yeah, that's why the system is a bit horrible. :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Any chance either of Transhuman's alternate chargen systems are going to be faster? :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

KillerQueen posted:

Now you know why we were so enthusiastic about playing more EP. Sunk cost fallacy.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

you're not using the spreadsheet are you?
Yeah, it's pretty difficult to work with though it did end up teaching me more about the system. I did not know the hard limit on trait points was 50 for negative and positive before last night, I do now! It doesn't help that my version of Excel apparently hates the workbook.

TheDemon posted:

Now you know why we were so enthusiastic about playing more EP. Sunk cost fallacy.

I'm sorry. Though, to be fair, I totally encouraged using the pregens at first, so I'm not a bad person. Yeah.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Ettin posted:

Any chance either of Transhuman's alternate chargen systems are going to be faster? :v:

This might be one of those things that makes me delay actually starting and running a game for a while forever.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

KillerQueen posted:

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to work with though it did end up teaching me more about the system. I did not know the hard limit on trait points was 50 for negative and positive before last night, I do now! It doesn't help that my version of Excel apparently hates the workbook.

I'm sorry. Though, to be fair, I totally encouraged using the pregens at first, so I'm not a bad person. Yeah.

I actually like character creation for the characters it produces.

The worst part by far is, in my opinion, gear. There's a god drat massive list over multiple books and figuring out what's basically essential, what's good, and what's useless is a pain. If you're using the spreadsheet, it's no better, because nothing there explains what each thing does. And of course if you die you lose it all, so you need to be economical too. That's part of the reason why I play a programmer in both games so far, because I have an excuse to have a massive collection of blueprints and can go hog wild spending all 100 cp worth of credits without risking losing it all later.

Skills... eh, not really so bad given that you can pretty much never be short of points. Everything else, not that bad at all, unless you're min-maxing attribute points to save you the maximum you can on skills. I don't really see why there's trouble with ego/morph attributes/morph bonus either, that part is pretty clear.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

oh hey look at this an alternate character generation system for eclipse phase http://eclipsephase.com/alt-chargen-packs-draft-1-open-discussion

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; whoops, wrong thread. Content:

clockworkjoe posted:

oh hey look at this an alternate character generation system for eclipse phase http://eclipsephase.com/alt-chargen-packs-draft-1-open-discussion

This is a far more approachable system than the default one. It's a shame it does so by shoehorning the characters into a number of fixed concepts, but it's not like you can really do it any other way given EP's rule system.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 17, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Nice they have a brawler aptitude template. Don't see any way to get the Reaper though.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Ryuujin posted:

Nice they have a brawler aptitude template. Don't see any way to get the Reaper though.

You might just be able to swap in some of the specialized morphs for CP, then buy the Reaper with that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; whoops, wrong thread. Content:

This is a far more approachable system than the default one. It's a shame it does so by shoehorning the characters into a number of fixed concepts, but it's not like you can really do it any other way given EP's rule system.

It's a fairly good start on a quick creation system, but missing Gear is god drat huge. Even considering they are going to introduce gear bundles, gear should really be part of the PP packages from the get-go, because certain items really enhance certain aspects of certain archetypes.

Gear has always been my biggest time waster making EP characters, too, since the list and mechanical effects are all in paragraph descriptions.

Actually, gently caress, why am I posting this here, time to give them some feedback.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 17, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Incidentally, because I have a predilection for making comparisons between media, I connected today's Schlock Mercenary with Eclipse Phase. The two characters in the given strip are a pair of infomorphs. One was a battleship control AI, the other ran a holographic boy band. It also shows what can happen if you have to swap out of a favored morph.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I thought this was a pretty cool way to integrate the neat aspects of EVE into a future Eclipse Phase. Definitely well thought out and a cool way to kind of turn EP into Traveller.

http://eclipsephase.com/eclipsed-eve

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Transhuman Kickstarter is up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/transhuman-the-eclipse-phase-players-guide

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Oof, $80 is far too much for me for a book and shipping. Guess I'll back for the .pdf and wait until it appears at my FLGS before picking up a physical copy.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, the Enabler tier at $1000 still gets hit with $30 shipping outside the US?

I'm gonna hold off for a while and see if any new $100+ tiers get added, all the awesome ones got taken right away :(

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The stretch goals are too weak to really matter, especially for a $20 tier where it flaunts "all the extras!" when the extras are already in the pdf book (which is creative commons and free anyway) for $10.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

The stretch goals are too weak to really matter, especially for a $20 tier where it flaunts "all the extras!" when the extras are already in the pdf book (which is creative commons and free anyway) for $10.
I guess they are planning on having more extras once the first few Stretch Goals are met but just haven't announced anything yet?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Grim posted:

I guess they are planning on having more extras once the first few Stretch Goals are met but just haven't announced anything yet?

Here's hoping, as they're on track to double their initial funding target before end of day today. It's a good thing this game gets the attention it deserves.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Grim posted:

well they just announced a new stretch goal - "we're also announcing the third, unlocked at $30,000: a 15% raise for all freelancers working on Transhuman. Our creative team has been amazing, and we want to reward them for their hard work making Eclipse Phase a beautiful game to both read and play!"

I'm all for that.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Are you and Caleb counted as Freelancers for your work on the traits? I'd be happy to kick in for that, i think Know Evil was worth paying for.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Calico Noose posted:

Are you and Caleb counted as Freelancers for your work on the traits? I'd be happy to kick in for that, i think Know Evil was worth paying for.

Yup!

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

What are features you'd want to see in an Eclipse Phase app?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Map of the solar system with all the referenced habitats and the map shows the time and moves properly based on whether you are ego-casting or travelling by ship from place to place and also free Unicorns forever :riker:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

black metal hugbox posted:

Character creation and management, with easy resleeving and ego backups.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grim posted:

Map of the solar system with all the referenced habitats and the map shows the time and moves properly based on whether you are ego-casting or travelling by ship from place to place and also free Unicorns forever :riker:

Don't forget it calculates that based on dynamic positions based on the date.

But yeah, what Flavivirus suggested would be pretty great.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

black metal hugbox posted:

Even as someone working on a *world EP hack I would pay $10 for an app on my iPad that is a dynamic character sheet that does all the math. Something like a pretty version of those character excel sheets.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Flavivirus posted:

Character creation and management, with easy resleeving and ego backups.

This, this, a thousand times this.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Fenarisk posted:

Even as someone working on a *world EP hack I would pay $10 for an app on my iPad that is a dynamic character sheet that does all the math. Something like a pretty version of those character excel sheets.

Yeah, the excel sheet actually does have a spot for other morphs where you can switch between them and it recalculates your stats for you. I haven't toyed with it because swapping bodies is for suckers so I dunno how effective the sheet works it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Because I was in bed like a stupid idiot from the wrong time-zone I missed out on the new $175 + $300 tiers, but there are still a couple of $500 left...

Edit: ...and done, now my dreams of an aspergers cuttlefish will be finally realized! :cthulhu:

Grim fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 26, 2013

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
RPPR's Know Evil campaign just wrapped up on their actual play feed! It was a hell of a ride to listen to, if you're into Eclipse Phase and actual plays give it a listen.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

SageNytell posted:

RPPR's Know Evil campaign just wrapped up on their actual play feed! It was a hell of a ride to listen to, if you're into Eclipse Phase and actual plays give it a listen.

Thanks! Our Fan Creation contest has resulted in some great pictures, stories, videos, and songs http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1625.0.html

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, Know Evil is basically the only reason I became interested in Eclipse Phase and pledged money in the Transhuman kickstarter. I'm glad it got above the $30K mark so Caleb and Ross got a pay raise.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Now that I have enough of a connection to listen to podcasts without spending hours downloading them ahead of time, I've started on Know Evil and goddamn if it hasn't made me want to run a game for my friends.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

SageNytell posted:

Know Evil and the previous RPPR podcasts that introduced Bartleby are simply fantastic. Caleb's campaign really is a tour de force.

My favorite quote that sums up the campaign nicely:

quote:

(After a jaw dropping battle and Jason failing an intimidate roll)

Jason: I don't think I've actually made a social roll in this game.

Caleb (Incredulously): You've Killed poo poo!

Ross (chuckling, background): Yeah!...That's social!

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Donated 100$ and unlocked the 50k mark. Feels good mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Barrakketh posted:

Donated 100$ and unlocked the 50k mark. Feels good mang.
:clint::hf::cheers:

Also I think in light of all the Furry talk on the Eclipse Phase forum I'm not gonna put together an Uplift afterall, maybe just base it on an old Infomorph I played - if anyone else has super-rad ideas though I will totally steal them!

• Locked thread