Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm on the search for a new monitor (again) and am simply too dumb to know things. After reading the OP, I was pretty much deadset on the ASUS VG236H, but it has been since discontinued and no longer available in most places. I talked to ASUS and they said there is no successor to that particular model. So, in lue of that, I request recommendations from the esteemed panel here.

I want it to be my gaming monitor, and for relatively spergin reasons, I'd prefer it to be 16:9. Beyond that, I'd like it to be 24", 120hz, TN (Mostly for budget reasons, but ghosting does drive me nuts), and preferably have both HDMI and DVI inputs. My budget is 300-400 dollars, but there is flexibility in that.

I actually have a VG236H with the 3D Vision kit I'm looking to sell after replacing it with the 27" Auria IPS. I don't have PMs, but if you have any interest, you can shoot me an email at ohgodwhat at gmail dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Ass Bitch
Dec 3, 2006
I AM A CHEAP BASTARD! PLEASE MOCK ME!

So I'm in the market to buy a new monitor. I've been using the same 19" 1440*900 monitor for about 6 years now and I want to upgrade. I'm looking for something around 22-24" with an IPS panel. Preferably around $200, but could swing something more expensive if the quality is worth it. Are there any monitors or companies in particular that I should be looking at? The Dell Ultrasharps are nice, but are there any companies in particular to look at?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cheap rear end Bitch posted:

So I'm in the market to buy a new monitor. I've been using the same 19" 1440*900 monitor for about 6 years now and I want to upgrade. I'm looking for something around 22-24" with an IPS panel. Preferably around $200, but could swing something more expensive if the quality is worth it. Are there any monitors or companies in particular that I should be looking at? The Dell Ultrasharps are nice, but are there any companies in particular to look at?

I just picked up a Dell S2340M. It's replacing two 1905FPs, and it's definitely a lot brighter, but that's mostly because the 1905s are old and dying. I really don't have any complaints about the picture, but I've really only used it for work things so far. It is a glossy screen, so if you're not into that, this isn't the monitor for you.

The only downsides for me are that the stand only has tilt adjustments, and there's no VESA mounts. I had to build a little stand for it to put it at the right height.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dur posted:

The only downsides for me are that the stand only has tilt adjustments, and there's no VESA mounts. I had to build a little stand for it to put it at the right height.
You can get a VESA mount adapter, though.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. Might have to get one of those in the future. Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

dur posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. Might have to get one of those in the future. Thanks!
I couldn't find anything official, so someone probably just made a steel bracket that fits into the bottom where the base is. Maybe it hooks around the bottom, it's hard to tell. Anyway, don't blame me if it buckles and drops the monitor on your face.

e: I guess they seem solid enough. Hell of a cockpit setup.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2013

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Anyone know what some of the cheaper historical prices are for a Dell U2713HM? I've got a chance to get one new for $440 (plus tax) which seems like a fairly good deal, but I'm not really sure as I haven't been in the market for a monitor for very long.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Tenderloin posted:

Anyone know what some of the cheaper historical prices are for a Dell U2713HM? I've got a chance to get one new for $440 (plus tax) which seems like a fairly good deal, but I'm not really sure as I haven't been in the market for a monitor for very long.

You can find them on sale for $650 every few months and they drop down to $550 a once or twice a year. $440 seems like a steal.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Calidus posted:

You can find them on sale for $650 every few months and they drop down to $550 a once or twice a year. $440 seems like a steal.

I'll probably pull the trigger then. I just saw that they could have been had for $505 a couple weeks ago so I wasn't sure if they were one of those perennially-on-sale items or not.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

dissss posted:

I'm interested to hear how the new Dell compares - I have one of them and the washed out blacks when sitting close are definitely noticeable on that model too

Thoughts after using the U2412M for various media last night (compared to the 2008 era 23" Mac cinema display I previously had):

-Right out of the box, the contrast is vastly better. I know contrast is often used as a marketing gimmick so I don't bother looking at ratings, but it is much better in that regard.
-There is backlight bleed from the corners and edges. Seems to be par for the course on this model. The bleed is worse than the Mac monitor but that brings me to the next point
-The blacks are darker. It still suffers from the same issue of dark scenes being a bit washed out in the periphery, but the effect is less pronounced.
-At risk of sounding like a total clown, the colors look more vibrant. This shouldn't be a surprise when you look at the technology differences.
-View angle is not as good as higher priced IPS panels. Not a big deal for me.
-Pixel response seems much better. I immediately noticed it with mouse tracking and moving windows (everything doesn't become a huge blur). I know there are probably 100 monitors in this price range with better response time but that is not IPS strong suit.
-All of the above carried over into games as well.
-The OSD is pretty great but its not like I ever gently caress with OSD menus that much. maybe that will change since I can switch between presets?
-Fully adjustable stand vs. cinema display piece of poo poo stand
-I think I recall people saying the anti-glare coating is "aggressive" which I don't agree with at all (it is not an issue whatsoever). Whereas the coating on the Mac monitor caused the entire picture to have a noticeably grainy texture

It is hands-down a better monitor than the Mac, but it is also at least 4 years newer and uses completely different technology. Not sure if its a fair fight?

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Tenderloin posted:

I just bought one for $599 CDN which was a good price, so that's an extremely good price.

The monitor is great for everything except online FPS gaming so far.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My replacement U2412M arrived! And.... apparently the 5th time is the (almost) charm. There is a tiny bit of backlight bleed on the top right side, but after putting up with way worse BLB on the last four I'm willing to accept it. I don't notice it in dark levels while playing games, and as long as I have even a tiny light source on in the same room I can't see anything wrong. Finally, a good one! :toot:

ZetsurinPower posted:

-I think I recall people saying the anti-glare coating is "aggressive" which I don't agree with at all (it is not an issue whatsoever). Whereas the coating on the Mac monitor caused the entire picture to have a noticeably grainy texture

IMO it looks like they changed the AG coating on newer production runs. The first ones I tried had a noticeable antiglare coating; they looked like they were covered in an oily sheen. The manufacture date on those were October 2012. I couldn't even tell there was an AG coat on my newest one (manufacture date: Jan 2013) until I put up a pure white background and got really close to the screen. Looks like a faint diamond pattern.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
So does glossy = no anti-glare and matte = ag coating?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SteviaFan420 posted:

So does glossy = no anti-glare and matte = ag coating?

99% of the time.

The thing to remember is they can both be unreadable in certain conditions:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KingEup posted:

99% of the time.

The thing to remember is they can both be unreadable in certain conditions:

It takes much more light to make the anti-glare/matte screens unreadable, to be fair.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
I have a 1080p monitor now and if I got a 30" would the 16:10 paired with a 16:9 look or feel weird or would it not matter because the resolutions are different anyway?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SteviaFan420 posted:

I have a 1080p monitor now and if I got a 30" would the 16:10 paired with a 16:9 look or feel weird or would it not matter because the resolutions are different anyway?

My setup above. 16:9 panel on left. 16:10 panel on right.

See also: http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-30-inch-16x10

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
I'm starting to have reservations about getting a 27" monitor as I don't know that I'll be able to sit far enough back from it. I have one at work, but can get a good 2.5ft back so it isn't too bad. I'll only be able to get about a foot away from it at home with my current desk. Would I be better off with a 24" instead if this is the case? I'll be driving whatever display I decide on with a Radeon 7950B overclocked to 1150MHz.

I'll probably go with a Dell since I have a hookup with the following price list:

In the described situation, does the U2412M sound like the most reasonable option? Anything I'm not thinking of? As mentioned in previous posts, my main two tasks are video editing (for profit and fun) as well as gaming.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Where can I get your prices on monitors?

I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger on 3 u2412m's

Also, that makes sense to me. I still haven't really got the big deal about big monitors. Though I only sit 1.5-2 feet away from my monitors at any given time as well and having 3 huge monitors on my desk would be worse than it already is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rawrbomb posted:

Also, that makes sense to me. I still haven't really got the big deal about big monitors. Though I only sit 1.5-2 feet away from my monitors at any given time as well and having 3 huge monitors on my desk would be worse than it already is.
It's just one of those "you don't know what you're missing out on until you try it" deals for most people. Is it 100% necessary? Absolutely not. But the massive amount of space you can get from 2560x1440 monitors is glorious, and really quite useful for pretty much any sort of content creation. It's kinda like multiple monitors in that sense: you can get away with just a single one, but the day you get that second one you realize how much easier it makes life.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

DrDork posted:

It's just one of those "you don't know what you're missing out on until you try it" deals for most people. Is it 100% necessary? Absolutely not. But the massive amount of space you can get from 2560x1440 monitors is glorious, and really quite useful for pretty much any sort of content creation. It's kinda like multiple monitors in that sense: you can get away with just a single one, but the day you get that second one you realize how much easier it makes life.

Oh, I totally get the additional space things. I just was thinking about people who buy 24/27in monitors or 32in TV's at 1080 and swear to me its the best thing ever... I mean I'm half blind and all but I still work fine on a 21in a 23in and a 20in 4:3. The price of most 27"+ monitors pushes me away, and I've got a bit of a hardon for the dell monitor stands and default feature set, its why I have 3 ultrasharp panel's now. Plus, knowing me if I get one big panel and love it, i'll need 2 more and that's not a good thing to blow your cash on.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Are there monitor arms that will let me put two 24"+ monitors 24" or more above the surface of my desk?

I'm pretty tall and it really bugs me when my eye level is above my monitors, but even the expensive Ergotron ones seem like they only give you about 12" of upwards movement.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So for any Canadian goons, Dell isn't even promoting it on their sales page but the U2713HM is currently priced at $599. I was already considering it so that was the push I needed.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm not totally sure where to put this but I think it might go here. I has 2 dell u2312hm monitors and was looking at the dell soundbars, the AX 510 I think. Is that decent? And would I need a splitter if I wanted to get 2 of them? Do I even need 2? Can I set them up as different channels? How does the sound bars work compared to speakers like this. I already have a DAC and good headphones but sometimes you just don't want to wear headphones.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
drat, got a letter yesterday from FedEx with a bill for £38 customs/duty/VAT charges for my Crossover (£10.50 of it was Fedex's fees). Still, I'm happy with £300 for this monitor

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was looking around on Craigslist for monitors, and came across someone selling a Samsung S24A460B-1 for $75. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though, what do you guys think?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Super Dude posted:

I was looking around on Craigslist for monitors, and came across someone selling a Samsung S24A460B-1 for $75. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though, what do you guys think?

Looks to be VGA and DVI only, uses a TN panel, and is 1920x1080. Probably on the lower end for features.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Anaxite posted:

Looks to be VGA and DVI only, uses a TN panel, and is 1920x1080. Probably on the lower end for features.

What resolution should I be looking for at 24 inches? I have a max of about $200 to spend.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 28, 2013

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
1920x1080 or 1920x1200 is the most you're going to get; in that sense it's fairly standard.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I'm looking to replace my two CRT monitor setup with probably a single 22-25" IPS monitor. Used for about half MS Office-type work and half games. Some photoshop and video editing, but not in any professional way. Might upgrade to a second monitor in the future.

I'd like to get a monitor that has HDMI or at least an adapter that allows it to hook up to a PS3.

Non-fatiguing text display is more of a priority than games, but I do want to have good color/video performance.

I'd like to keep the price under/around $300 if possible.

My office is pretty dark, so I'm not sure if I care about glossy or matte.

I found the S2340L with HDMI for $179 but I can't find a lot of in-depth info on it. I like cheap but I do want to get something decent.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

el_caballo posted:

My office is pretty dark, so I'm not sure if I care about glossy or matte.

Even in a dark room, glossy monitors are backlit, expensive mirrors. Unless you like looking at yourself glowing like a ghost, you should avoid a glossy monitor.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

el_caballo posted:

I found the S2340L with HDMI for $179 but I can't find a lot of in-depth info on it. I like cheap but I do want to get something decent.

Looks like it's basically identical to the S2340M that I bought a couple weeks ago, except with HDMI instead of DVI:

dur posted:

I just picked up a Dell S2340M. It's replacing two 1905FPs, and it's definitely a lot brighter, but that's mostly because the 1905s are old and dying. I really don't have any complaints about the picture, but I've really only used it for work things so far. It is a glossy screen, so if you're not into that, this isn't the monitor for you.

But it turns out there are VESA adapters that fit into the same slot as the stand.

I've got no regrets, especially considering the price. Blacks look black, the colors look like colors. I haven't noticed any ghosting or lag, but I don't play a lot of games.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Awesome. Are there any drawbacks to using a HDMI as your main output from the GFX card? Or should it go DVI > D-Sub adaptor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

el_caballo posted:

Awesome. Are there any drawbacks to using a HDMI as your main output from the GFX card? Or should it go DVI > D-Sub adaptor?
You should never deal with a D-Sub unless you absolutely have to. HDMI/DVI will have a better visual quality, particularly for text.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
Can someone recommend me a 27" Glossy monitor that is good for gaming? The dell 27" is matte and I think the viewsonic VP2770 is also matte.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well I've asked pretty much every where else, might as well ask here also.

I have a GTX 690 and 3 30" monitors.
1 is an old HP Lp3065 and the card sees it as native 2560x1600
1 is a new Dell u3011 and the card sees it as native 2560x1600
1 is an old Dell 3007 and the loving card sees it as native 1280x800 yet will still display to it properly at 2560x1600.

Due to this weird glitch with what the card thinks is the native resolution, I can not get the nvidia surround to span to all 3 monitors. Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Is there some sort of internal scaler that the monitor uses that confuses the driver? Is there anyway to make the monitor show up as native 2560x16000?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Due to this weird glitch with what the card thinks is the native resolution, I can not get the nvidia surround to span to all 3 monitors. Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Is there some sort of internal scaler that the monitor uses that confuses the driver? Is there anyway to make the monitor show up as native 2560x16000?
Doesn't the 690 have multiple GPUs on the same card? You might try fiddling with which ports on the card you're using if that's an option. Can you get the monitor to show up properly when it's the only one connected? What about using two? Does it work if you lower the resolution on the other two monitors? You've got more pixels than a 4k display and maybe that's too much even for the 690. It's my understanding that multi-monitor is harder to do on Nvidia cards versus ATI ones, so maybe it's a driver limitation or something.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
What's the connection between the 3007 and the video card, DVI? Definitely using a DVI-DL cable? Does anything change if you plug the screens into different ports on the card?

Silly suggestion: reverse the cable going to the 3007. Like, plug the monitor side into the video card and vice versa.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

What's the connection between the 3007 and the video card, DVI? Definitely using a DVI-DL cable? Does anything change if you plug the screens into different ports on the card?

Silly suggestion: reverse the cable going to the 3007. Like, plug the monitor side into the video card and vice versa.

Oh how I wish it was this simple. There is something squirrely with the way the card sees the 3007. I tested out a 7970 and was able to get eyefinity to span all 3 monitors just fine. I have tried every possible combination of displayport > dvi adapters, cables etc etc. I have tried 3 different dvi cables(dual link), the issue comes in because the 690 thinks I'm trying to span 3 different resolution monitors. I have done every possible test on this for the last few months and I'm pretty firmly convinced that it is the 3007 being seen as native 1280x800 then basically scaling internally that is causing all of the issues. The 7970 got returned because even though I could span the monitors, it just didn't have enough power to run at 12 million pixels. I have a feeling that the 690 is also not going to be enough hardware to run it either, but I'd still like to get the surround working just to see. Sadly Mechwarrior Online currently doesn't work with multiple gpus so the 2nd chip is kind of useless, but I still want to fix the spanning for nothing else than e-honor.

And just to reitterate, the monitor -does- display at 2560x1600 and looks great, but when you check the nvidia driver, it shows that it's native resolution is only 1280x800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you plug in the 3007 by itself does it display at 2560x1600? If you take a screenshot, is the file 2560x1600 or 1280x800?