Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea also the box literally says "Downloadable Content", the rumor was just normal 'WiiU more like baby system' rear end talking.

So does Black Ops 2 and that didnt get any DLC. I figured that the Wii U Injustice wasnt gonna get the DLC because every website talking about it only referred to the 360 and PS3 versions, with the only mentions of a Wii U release saying either that Wii U simply wont get it or that WB Games wont comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm super late to the party because for some reason the Rayman Legends demo didn't work for me. It only played the intro video for Teensies in Trouble before returning to the main menu, so for a few months now I thought the demo was REALLY BAD. Yesterday I tried it again because of the new online challenges and it worked. And holy poo poo. I loved Rayman Origins and I can already tell I'm gonna love Rayman Legends. Castle Rock! God drat! My smile was three feet wide!

Also really liking the online challenges. It's challenging, the leaderboards and collectables make it addictive and the game just looks gorgeous as gently caress. I wish it was August already.

EDIT:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Time to petition for features in the summer update!

Advanced video settings. I would love to use my Wii U as my Netflix box but the thing's gamma is so busted the picture is just massively washed out.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 26, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nintendo Life apparently has the PAL Wii U VC launch line-up.

quote:

Super Mario World (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — Widely regarded, including in our own staff votes here on Nintendo Life, as the best Super NES title and the finest of Mario's 2D adventures. Whether you agree with that or not, most will happily admit that this is classic platforming from start to finish. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Ice Climber (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — Reminiscent of a time of more simplistic, arcade-style titles on the NES, this is a franchise that's been dormant for a long time, though the characters have become famous in Smash Bros. In truth this one can feel loose and awkward to play, so is perhaps for die-hards only. __This is the 60Hz US version of the game._

Mario's Super Picross (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — We've become largely accustomed to playing Picross on the go, so this is a relatively rare home console version from the Super NES. There's little to say apart from the fact that it's a well executed version of the game, as you fill out pictures on a grid by following the numbered cues; certainly one for fans of the genre to strongly consider. This is the Japanese version of the game.

Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — Rather like Ice Climbers, this harks back to arcade-style origins, in this case with single screen action puzzle solving. A notable twist is that Mario is the villain in this game, and in short bursts can be fun, but up against some of its rivals it can feel like a clunky, flawed experience. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Excitebike (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This bike racer has seen recent life as a free 3D Classic, but it arrives on Wii U in its original NES glor
y. It's simple but iconic racing fare with a modest number of tracks, but the track editor should give it some extra life. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Punch Out!! (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This one has already been in the Famicom Anniversary celebrations at €0.30 / £0.30 for a limited period. If you did miss out this is your second chance, albeit at a much higher price, to pick up one of the true iconic classics of the NES library. You can see what we thought of the experience on Wii U in our Punch Out!! review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

F-Zero (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — Another title that's been available at a bargain price until recently, this is one of the finest futuristic racer you'll find, and still stands up today. High speed action with terrific visuals and music, you can read all about it in our F-Zero review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

So apparently NOA still hates the mere mention of Picross, and NOE is so hungry for it, it'll port over the Japanese version if it needs to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crawfish posted:

So apparently NOA still hates the mere mention of Picross, and NOE is so hungry for it, it'll port over the Japanese version if it needs to.

I like Mario's Super Picross but I paid less than that to import a copy from Japan...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi posted:

This probably isn't going to be a popular view but I'm *pretty* sure Nintendo has stacks upon stacks of numbers, analysis and models that they have simulated and run to come up with the most logical approach in terms of releasing their titles. What may seem like madness to you from a numbers perspective models out much more profitable to them.

If you have never drafted up pricing models and simulations I think you're a little bit out of your league in terms of commenting on how Nintendo should execute their VC model. While it might not fit your personal needs it likely fits a more profitable perspective.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

quote:

During today's financial results briefing, the company's president, Satoru Iwata, announced that digital sales for the 2013 fiscal year, which ended in March, cruised past ¥16 billion (around $160.9 million), more than doubling transactions from the last two years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How much of those digital sales were virtual console?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Crawfish posted:

Nintendo Life apparently has the PAL Wii U VC launch line-up.

Those prices aren't highway robbery so much as they are highway robbery, rape and murder. I know more effort went into these than the typical iOS $0.99 fare, but these games are 20+ years old. You've already rung out more profit from them than the most tight-fisted of Scrooges could dare dream, Nintendo. Cut us some slack already :(

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
40-60 dollar full retail downloads are available now and weren't during the last two years, I wonder why digital sales revenue would be so much higher now? I don't think it has much to do with their Virtual Console schedule.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone know if there's currently a way to reach the second level of awesomeness in Rayman Legends? I've gotten gold in all of the single player/daily/weekly challenges but I'm still like 24 points away. In the profile page though it looks like there's some kind of platinum trophy worth 50 points, is there a way to get those right now?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Get more points. Trophies get you points, therefore you need to get high scores in each of the daily challenges. 3 more days of gold trophies will get you the second level. Platinum trophies are only for the top 10 I believe. If not that, the top 3.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

Those prices aren't highway robbery so much as they are highway robbery, rape and murder. I know more effort went into these than the typical iOS $0.99 fare, but these games are 20+ years old. You've already rung out more profit from them than the most tight-fisted of Scrooges could dare dream, Nintendo. Cut us some slack already :(

Yeah, those prices are loving laughable. There's no way I'd ever bother, ever, with anything SNES related when I have Homebrew running. Earthbound okay whatever, get back to me when we can play SNES games on a handheld. Better yet, make more N64 or GC games available.
It's amazing they made so much money on those VC games. Apparently not many people know how SD cards and poo poo work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, those prices are loving laughable. There's no way I'd ever bother, ever, with anything SNES related when I have Homebrew running. Earthbound okay whatever, get back to me when we can play SNES games on a handheld. Better yet, make more N64 or GC games available.
It's amazing they made so much money on those VC games. Apparently not many people know how SD cards and poo poo work.

...Or we could have not wanted to pirate the games? I don't know about you, but I've spent 8 bucks on way stupider poo poo than some of my favorite games when I was growing up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Artix posted:

...Or we could have not wanted to pirate the games? I don't know about you, but I've spent 8 bucks on way stupider poo poo than some of my favorite games when I was growing up.

You beat me to it. Spending a small amount of cash for a new official release of a classic game can't really be topped. It's infinitely better than using homebrew/emulators. I'm surprised to see so many complaints but eh, that's the Internet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
$5 for high quality NES games like Kirby or Mario is perfectly reasonable. It's when they try to charge $5 for poo poo like Urban Champion or incredibly short arcade style games like Donkey Kong Jr or Ice Climbers that is laughable.

SNES games I feel the same way. Donkey Kong Country definitely worth $8, as is Earthbound or Mario RPG or Mega Man X or something, but the vast majority of the SNES library should be $5 or fewer. They need to distinguish between grade A good games, decent distractions, and curiosities.

Of course Europe is insane because they have to pay the same amount but in Euro instead of dollars.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It makes me wonder how much they'll charge for Gamecube games if/when they appear on VC.

I hope they're not too ridiculous because at this point Virtual Console is my only hope of ever getting Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance at a reasonable price. It's pretty commonly above £100 on Amazon. Up until recently, the cheapest copy they had for a couple of months was £240/$370.
:negative:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did anyone see Japan is getting not one, but TWO Fire Emblem games for virtual console debut? It'd a good reason we aren't getting them since they were never translated before, but it does seem unfair. You'd think they could find some US translated games of equivalent caliber they could give us.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

greatn posted:

You'd think they could find some US translated games of equivalent caliber they could give us.

Star Tropics is the "not released in Japan" NES Nintendo game that immediately comes to mind. Nobody would have time to play that when they're too busy with DK Jr. and Ice Climbers though :eng99:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Artix posted:

I bought a perfect clone of Super Mario World for GBA through one of those Chinese sites for $5 (thanks to that GBS thread), but I'll still pay $8 or whatever this evening to be able to play it on my TV/gamepad. Nintendo is giving you a really good product - a classic game with save states and play-ability on your console.

I want to doubt that piracy figured into the pricing of their games, seeing as how you could still easily locate NES/SNES/etc. ROMs with a Google search. ROMs can have bugs and other issues. Nintendo VC games don't.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

$5 for high quality NES games like Kirby or Mario is perfectly reasonable.

Not when I can buy physical copies cheaper than that. Or when $5 buys a recent game of the same caliber. Or when collections of games from that same era cost $5 for ten games.

I know not everyone wants to mess with old hardware, but the Virtual Console pricing is completely unreasonable compared to pretty much any other option. And that's not even factoring in the pervasive piracy that happens with those old games.

Nintendo needs better, more aggressive pricing if they want to sell Virtual Console games in any kind of reasonable quantity. I'm hoping the 30 cent games are a toe in the water for that, though they're not very high hopes since every single media company that gets involved with digital distribution grossly overvalues their own properties.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The Deluxe Digital Promotion applies to the new VC, right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Minidust posted:

The Deluxe Digital Promotion applies to the new VC, right?

Yes it does. I've gotten a whole 9 points from F-Zero, Punch-Out, and Kirby.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Can we drop the pricing talk? We've known about them for eons, and nothing good comes out of it. This thread is 50% price whining already. Don't like the price, don't buy it. That's the most productive thing you can do about it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Alex WS posted:

Can we drop the pricing talk? We've known about them for eons, and nothing good comes out of it. This thread is 50% price whining already. Don't like the price, don't buy it. That's the most productive thing you can do about it.

Agreed.

I do wish Nintendo eShop let you rent games though. I miss renting games. :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

Not when I can buy physical copies cheaper than that.

Even at the inflated Australia Tax price of $7.50 you'd be pushing it to get a physical copy of Super Mario Bros. for double that price. Maybe if you got lucky and scored a console bundle at a garage sale or whatever, but the average price for a single game would have to be at least that, if not more.

Of course I'd like to pay less, but for a lot of the games I'd actually want to buy I'd be paying at least double the Virtual Console price for a cartridge copy. It's not just not wanting to bother with older hardware, because that's nothing even approaching an issue for me. Virtual Console versions are just that much cheaper and more accessible on average.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 26, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

Not when I can buy physical copies cheaper than that. Or when $5 buys a recent game of the same caliber. Or when collections of games from that same era cost $5 for ten games.

I know not everyone wants to mess with old hardware, but the Virtual Console pricing is completely unreasonable compared to pretty much any other option. And that's not even factoring in the pervasive piracy that happens with those old games.

Nintendo needs better, more aggressive pricing if they want to sell Virtual Console games in any kind of reasonable quantity. I'm hoping the 30 cent games are a toe in the water for that, though they're not very high hopes since every single media company that gets involved with digital distribution grossly overvalues their own properties.

Ok, just grab your NES and your NES controller and your coax modulator and plug in and sit no more than six feet from your TV, then put in your Mario game with no ability to save and play on your tiny rectangle controller. You're saving so much money!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The eshop does have sales at least. Even if 8 bucks is unreasonable for an SNES game, theres a chance it will go on sale. Its not like the Wii where there was no chance it would ever get cheaper

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Even at the inflated Australia Tax price of $7.50 you'd be pushing it to get a physical copy of Super Mario Bros. for that price. Maybe if you got lucky and scored a console bundle at a garage sale or whatever, but the average price for a single game would have to be at least that, if not more.

My local overpriced retrogaming store has stacks of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for $2 each.

greatn posted:

Ok, just grab your NES and your NES controller and your coax modulator and plug in and sit no more than six feet from your TV, then put in your Mario game with no ability to save and play on your tiny rectangle controller. You're saving so much money!

Wow, I wish I had said something like

Random Stranger posted:

I know not everyone wants to mess with old hardware

that addressed that point directly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not an issue you can just handwave away.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Random Stranger posted:

My local overpriced retrogaming store has stacks of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for $2 each.

Congrats! My local retrogaming store...doesn't exist. Don't act like it's a super obvious choice for everyone to take just because it so happens to apply to you. As far as I'm concerned, if I want to play Super Mario RPG, my options are $8 on VC, or to hunt down an SNES and controllers, a copy of SMRPG (for god only knows what price off eBay or something), and then hope everything works.

As for compilation disks and such, that also depends on the hardware situation. There were a bunch of stuff like Megaman collections on the PS2, but guess what! If you don't have have said PS2 hooked up at all times, or a PS3 that's 6 or 7 years old, you're poo poo outta luck. The Gamecube Zelda collection? Wii U doesn't play Gamecube disks. The only ones I can think of in the modern era that are readily available and easily work are the Kirby and Mario ones for the Wii (and the Mario one is actually cheaper over VC), and the Sega disk for 360/PS3.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So you're saying an international company, or in this case, even the regional branch should base their pricing for everyone purely on the availability of cheap copies of the original physical copies in your area, or your own personal feelings of the value of their product?

I mean, I don't think there's a person in this thread that wouldn't be all for cheaper prices and more sales on Virtual Console stuff, but that's an.......interesting view to have on this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone else have their Wii Us not turn on with their gamepad half the time? I have to go over and turn on the Wii U then the pad, then they sync up fine, but they won't power on together. Super weird.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
It doesn't matter if people think it's wrong or not, or if a part of the Nintendo fanbase will pay for these games no matter what; SNES and NES emulation and piracy have been rampant for years and years. It's easy to set up, works well, and is FREE. I don't think these prices are going to cut it for the majority of users, and it just reeks of the same "we don't want to devalue the IP :qq:" stuff that EA used to say about Steam sales.

They need to price these games for impulse buying and $8 is way above that for anything but the absolute top tier of games. And even then, I'm probably not going to buy SMW for $8 because I know I'm probably not going to touch it for more than 20 minutes. If it were $3-4? I'd probably pick it up anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
^^ sometimes

Does anyone think they could emulate light gun/super scope 6 games using the touchscreen? They'd be kind of trivially easy that way, but cool to have. I also wonder about the mouse.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Artix posted:

Congrats! My local retrogaming store...doesn't exist. Don't act like it's a super obvious choice for everyone to take just because it so happens to apply to you.

I have a retrogaming store in the coty, but the selection is overpriced and minimal. The virtual console is much easier and convenient.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crawfish posted:

So you're saying an international company, or in this case, even the regional branch should base their pricing for everyone purely on the availability of cheap copies of the original physical copies in your area, or your own personal feelings of the value of their product?

I mean, I don't think there's a person in this thread that wouldn't be all for cheaper prices and more sales on Virtual Console stuff, but that's an.......interesting view to have on this.

No, it was a quick reference point that the game is stupidly cheap. Amazon Marketplace has around a hundred copies that are cheap. eBay is just as flooded.

It was also one minor part of my point which was that there's a lot of options out there for video games that are a better value than the Virtual Console.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 26, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

Here's
some
listings

of Super Mario Bros. carts from a local pawn shop chain. I also went through all completed listings of the few variants (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros./Tetris/Nitendo World Cup, primarily the former) on the local eBay and came up with an average price of $13.71.

But feel free to tell me that the $6.50/$7.50 Nintendo are asking for the Virtual Console is expensive compared to those physical cartridges.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 26, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

KimT posted:

Anyone know if there's currently a way to reach the second level of awesomeness in Rayman Legends? I've gotten gold in all of the single player/daily/weekly challenges but I'm still like 24 points away. In the profile page though it looks like there's some kind of platinum trophy worth 50 points, is there a way to get those right now?

I got a diamond trophy! (I was surprised they weren't called Platinum's)

Just do really freakishly good. The distance traveled one has a marker in it that says you got it. (Yesterdays after a tough segment there was just a bunch of flat line with 3 lum arches)

Trying out todays XTREME challenge and christ it ramps up fast.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just hypothetically is there anything Nintendo could do pricewise for anything that wouldn't be defended? If the Luigi DLC is $30 will people be ok with that?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Here's
some
listings

of Super Mario Bros. carts from a local pawn shop chain. I also went through all completed listings of the few variants (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros./Tetris/Nitendo World Cup, primarily the former) on the local eBay and came up with an average price of $13.71.

But feel free to tell me that the $6.50/$7.50 Nintendo are asking for the Virtual Console is expensive compared to those physical cartridges.

Well the solution there is to not live in Australia. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That dlc should be $15 max, and really should be like $10. Maybe they're saying it's like a whole new game, 100 new levels, but with each of those limited to 100 seconds it sounds more like a challenge pack.

• Locked thread