Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

cname posted:

Never really pegged Mickey Deez for a place that actually gives a gently caress. I'd bet you could lie and say you totally gave your two weeks notice.

They totally don't give a gently caress. It's a way for them to weed out all the applicants and narrow it down.
Benny should have, without hesitation, confidently said, "No, without a doubt I absolutely turned in my 2 weeks notice."
Second guessing yourself about something as innocuous as a two week notice from 6 years ago? You just failed because they're now second guessing you.
Guess which people they're going to hire? the ones they didn't have to second guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I hate to defend Benny, but I understand where he's coming from to an extent--I am an adult with a job and a child and a marriage and poo poo, and I recently messed up on some dates on a background check (I put that I worked with a company for X amount of time, forgetting that I was actually a temp working through an agency for part of it) and I fretted for the two days it took to get resolved. So absolutely positive that this was what was going to keep me from getting considered for the job, I was done now, I had screwed up...

It's hard to teach yourself not to do that, and it's easy behaviour to slip back into, especially if you're already stressed and not really approaching things logically (or if you're not terribly introspective, as is the case with ol' Benny here).

Hey Benny--I mean, you kinda don't read the replies in this thread in any consistent way, but if you happen to read this one--the McDonalds thing is over, man. You might get the job, you might not. It might be because of the two weeks notice thing, it might not. Fretting about it won't help. Learn from your mistake and move on.

Edit--in retrospect that sounded a little condescending, so I removed it.

Palisader fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 25, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I thought you had the use of a car now? What happened to that?

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

PurePerfection posted:

Benny, I think it'd be helpful for you if you put together and commit to schedules BEFORE each day of searching.

You have awesome advice, but you know Benny's more than likely just going to skim over it right? :(

So what happened today, Benny? Did you actually walk around to apply to places or did you mostly just sit down and make resumes again?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

natetimm posted:

That's an extremely low bar you've set there, my friend.

Hey OP, did you apply at the Starbucks you hang out in? They make tips and get health insurance. You also seem to have no problem getting there.
Yep, and I ask generally on a weekly basis if they have anything available. I've applied last in February and again last week.

So I'm going to make a quick status update. Chino Hills has been very fruitful. 18 places I've stopped by so far. Out of the 18, I've filled out and dropped off applications at 10. The other eight are only doing it online. Right now, I'm kicking back and waiting until 6. There's a pizza kitchen that I've applied and the head manager says he has time to talk. I'm going to return Saturday to make my rounds again. There's a whole outdoor mall that I'm going to hit.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I thought you had the use of a car now? What happened to that?
I never had. Both my parents work all day so it's not a very good idea for me to ask if I could borrow one of theirs.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Yep, and I ask generally on a weekly basis if they have anything available. I've applied last in February and again last week.

So I'm going to make a quick status update. Chino Hills has been very fruitful. 18 places I've stopped by so far. Out of the 18, I've filled out and dropped off applications at 10. The other eight are only doing it online. Right now, I'm kicking back and waiting until 6. There's a pizza kitchen that I've applied and the head manager says he has time to talk. I'm going to return Saturday to make my rounds again. There's a whole outdoor mall that I'm going to hit.

That's a good day's work. Keep it up!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
By the way, I'd just like to take a moment by saying thank you all for being incredibly patient with me. I haven't been red-labeled, banned, or mod challenged yet and I want to keep it that way. Thanks again for being patient.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Benny the Snake posted:

Both my parents work all day so it's not a very good idea for me to ask if I could borrow one of theirs.

What, why not? Drive parent to work and then spend the entire day casting a wider net for employment. You'll be forced to job search on a real schedule and can chase down jobs that aren't within a quick walk of you. Win win.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Honestly I think Benny would be fine at some 11/hr office job and maybe, since they tend to be slower, actually do a lot better, but I have no idea how to find those without a local craigslist or Indeed page.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

By the way, I'd just like to take a moment by saying thank you all for being incredibly patient with me. I haven't been red-labeled, banned, or mod challenged yet and I want to keep it that way. Thanks again for being patient.

Don't tempt fate Benny. Don't do it. Keep it up.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just got back from the pizza kitchen. And when I say "pizza kitchen", I mean a proper restaurant with a bar and everything. The head manager was Don and I was confident in my interview. See, unlike fast food or line cooking, I was very much in my element while working in a pizza place on campus. Granted, it wasn't as fast paced as say a proper pizza place but I loved making pizzas. I told Don "If you were to put me in the kitchen right now, I could make an extra large pepperoni pizza." And I meant it. Unfortunately, he told me the only position available is saute cook which takes significantly more experience. He told me to check back in a couple of months. At least I have my name in.

What also looks promising is a Tilly's and a Target. Target needs a parking lot attendant. I worked parking lot at a local grocery store and it was the best part-time job I've had so far. Great hours, good exercise, and I was working away from customers. The manager told me to call back next week and gave me a number to call. Tilly's had a "now hiring" right inside and I had a blank application where I filled it out right on the spot to turn in. They're hiring for summer.

I'll go into detail later. Right now I'm going to fill out applications online.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
This is what you are going to do Benny. You are going to figure out which company you dislike the best and call them for training tomorrow.

http://www.crengland.com/truck-driving-schools/overview

http://www.driveknight.com/pc/Training/index.html

http://www.joinswift.com/new-to-trucking.html

http://www.centraltruckdrivingjobs.com/truck-driving-school-intro.php

http://www.schneiderjobs.com/company-drivers/driving-school-programs

They will pay for your bus ticket to the school, put you up in a wonderfully lovely hotel, and since you are down in Chino Hill, the schools are mostly in Mira Loma and it's a loving hub area, you'll get home a lot. Don't loving lease a truck right out of school, and loving drive. If anyone REALLY wants a job, those companies are always hiring and will train your rear end.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

InEscape posted:

Honestly I think Benny would be fine at some 11/hr office job and maybe, since they tend to be slower, actually do a lot better, but I have no idea how to find those without a local craigslist or Indeed page.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=&l=Chino%2C+CA&radius=5&sort=date

Benny, if Brea is close enough, check out Kapco - from what I see at the site out here in CT, it might be something you could handle pace-wise. http://kapcoaero.com/employment/current-employment-opportunities/

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

natetimm posted:

That's an extremely low bar you've set there, my friend.

Hey OP, did you apply at the Starbucks you hang out in? They make tips and get health insurance. You also seem to have no problem getting there.

Well, this is true as long as you count getting like 50 cents an hour as "making tips"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay. Here's what happened today.

8AM: Woke up. Washed up, ate breakfast. Did chores, helped prepare food for dinner tonight. I'm not going to lie: I didn't leave 'till noon and I was dicking around outside of doing the above. It's only when I don't have any pressing errands or commitments. Looking for a job is a job but I like doing it after noon when a hiring manage will most likely be present.

12PM: left for Chino Hills. Chino Hills is the more affluent side of town, so I was positive that I would find a whole bunch of leads. Here's the short list of places that I stepped in to apply.

• Target
  • Bat and Body Works
  • Edible Arrangements
  • TJ Max
  • Khol's
  • Mimi's Cafe
  • Tilly's
  • Baja Fresh
  • Pick-Up-Stix
  • Old Navy
  • Lee's Sandwiches
  • Staples
  • Coffee Bean
  • Sprouts
  • Pinkberry
  • Costco
The first ten I've put in applications on the spot. The latter eight are ones I would have to apply online or print applications online. So far, only Target, Pick-Up-Stix, and Tilly's are actually hiring. Target told me to call in next week for a parking lot job.

5PM: Applied to California Pizza Kitchen. I talked to a manager and, based off my previous Round Table Pizza experience, I got an interview with the head manager.

5:30 PM: half hour to kill. Checked on email accounts and this fine thread.

6PM: Interview. I was confident and calm. I told Don that "If you put me in your kitchen right now, I could make you an extra-large pepperoni pizza." Unfotunetly, the only position open is saute cook which would take much more experience than I already have. At least I made a great impression on him and I have my foot in the door.

6:30 PM: online applications. Old Navy, Staples, and a bunch of Costco positions. Online applications are time consuming becuase the questionares can take up to 45 minutes answering in the spectrum between "strongly agree" and "strongly disagree".

8:30 PM: called it a day.

EDIT: eight hours job searching, give or take.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 26, 2013

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Have you totally given up on office work?

Also, for shits and giggles, I'll ask again: tutoring? Either online or in-person?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

Have you totally given up on office work?

Also, for shits and giggles, I'll ask again: tutoring? Either online or in-person?
The Cal Poly Pomona Extended Campus I've applied to, and it is a tutoring position. As for office jobs, I search Craigslist and Indeed regularly for office jobs and I've applied to them. Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but corporate office positions from the job fair.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
What about placing your own Craigslist ads and offering tutoring? Or copy editing? Teaching old people how to use the computer? Or ... anything that brings in cash? Or any of online jobs people have mentioned?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
For tutoring you literally just need to put your info on a flyer, add those tear-out phone numbers at the bottom, and staple it around your college. Go look at a posting board to see what I'm talking about.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

For tutoring you literally just need to put your info on a flyer, add those tear-out phone numbers at the bottom, and staple it around your college. Go look at a posting board to see what I'm talking about.

English Tutor Available
Flexable Schedules, Affordable Rates
I will help you indubitably
Profreading and Editing, Assistence with Citations and Formating
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Sigma-X posted:

English Tutor Available
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

-Can asemble a pizza.

(Dough, sauce, cheese, pepperoni. Put in oven. A amazing skill!)

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 26, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

English Tutor Available
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming a degree in English means he actually can write well when he needs to.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

English Tutor Available
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

Print out hundreds of copies of this and wallpaper them across your local campus.

Seriously though, Eris I don't know why you keep pushing him to get a tutoring job because he would be a terrible tutor and it's cruel to trick impoverished students into wasting their money. He needs help to write a letter (and I don't even think he linked his cover letter despite being asked numerous times), how is he meant to help students with English assignments or provide any sort of example to follow? He seems like the living embodiment of 'C's get Degrees'.

At least push him towards jobs where he might be able to show some degree of competence - he'll just end up feeling super poo poo if he fails out of yet another job. Let's aim for success! Woo!

Edit: If his username was changed to Benny the Snak that would make my day.

Edit again: Benny, post us links to your CV and a recent example of a cover letter - you can remove all your personal details to keep it confidential. You said that you've had several professional sorts looking through it like career counsellors - that's great, but now test it out on people who are on the opposite side of the interview table. I am heavily involved in recruitment and manage our graduate intake as part of my role. Right now I am slogging through hundreds of applications for several jobs we've got going and I can tell you, I am sick to loving death of bad applications and am therefore in the perfect frame of mind to give you some critical analysis. I'm not from the US, so there are some cultural differences there but I'm pretty sure US goons will be quick to weigh in their opinions as well.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 26, 2013

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
No, you're right. I just can't fathom why a guy who is broke, in a bad situation and at least considers himself to be a writer, wouldn't at least pick at the low hanging fruit. I've hired literally hundreds of people in situations like his and ... it just boggles my mind.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zifnab posted:

Well, this is true as long as you count getting like 50 cents an hour as "making tips"

We made between 2.50 and 3 bucks an hour per person in tips when I worked there. They only tax you on 50 cents worth. You also get your tips weekly in cash.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny, in all seriousness, I would be happy to review your cover letter(s), applications, whatever. My own job has been a bit slow lately and I'm in need of a pet project. Just PM me.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ Happy Friday! Same here. I've got maybe 4 hours of database organization and that's it, for the day. Bassnectar show, tonight, so yea, not gettin poo poo done! TGIF, YOLO, etc.

Just post your cover letter here, with no personal info. It's Friday, we're all bored, you might as well get lots of feedback. You already posted the college you graduated from, so we've got enough information to creep, if we really wanted. Internet detective work is taboo/against the rules, at this point, so you might as well throw it out there. (Also, nobody gives a poo poo, unless your a pedophile or someone who needs to be reported to the police. That actually happened once, if I recall.)

Benny the Snake posted:

Target needs a parking lot attendant. I worked parking lot at a local grocery store and it was the best part-time job I've had so far.

Oh my loving god! Too true, my friend! This was the best job I've ever had. It literally consisted of getting stoned and hauling shopping carts, while listening to music. It was practically therapeutic. I miss being a professional Bubbles from TPB. Unfortunately, they now tend to hire individuals with special needs. You know, the type of people who work harder and don't smoke as much dope.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny, I took the cover letter course materials I mentioned on a previous page and copied an abridged version of them below - I think this should hit most of the major issues you might have in writing one. Please consider this.

Cover Letter Guide:

A cover letter expands upon the qualifications listed in your resume and describes why you are a good fit and the best candidate for the position. If a potential employer asks you to submit a cover letter, you should take this part of your application seriously. Cover letters play a critical role in clarifying how the experiences you’ve included in your resume relate to what the employer is seeking and in differentiating you from other applicants, whose resumes may include a similar range of work experiences, extracurricular activities, and relevant coursework or skills.

Don’t Forget Critical Personal Information

Your cover letter should include your name, your address, your telephone number, and your email address, preferably as a header. Do not assume that if your resume includes this already that it is not necessary to add it to the cover letter. If the documents are printed or emailed and shared among different members of a firm, they could easily be separated.

Formatting Matters

Your cover letter should be typed in a reasonable font size (in this case, 12 point, 10 at the absolute minimum) with white space between paragraphs and at least a 1” margin at each side. As with resumes, a wall of text with no breaks is visually unappealing to the recipient, who may choose not to continue reading it. The general maximum length of this document is, again, one side of one page. Recruiters may still consider your letter otherwise, but their time is valuable and limited, and longer letters are less likely to be read in full. While this may seem like too little space, the ability to write concisely and focus on the most significant points of your argument is an important skill, and this is a good way to practice it.

Organize Your Letter Logically and Include the Right Information

Your letter should include an introduction, 2-3 body paragraphs, and a closing paragraph.

The introduction should state who you are and include a strong “hook” about how you will contribute to the company that will make the recipient want to continue reading. This paragraph should also provide an outline of what you intend to cover in the rest of the letter. This paragraph is easily the most important, because it determines whether or not the rest of the letter will be considered.

Your body paragraphs should be focused on a single, unifying point (per paragraph) that you want to make to the reader. This is where you will expand upon your resume and connect your experiences to the requirements stated in the job description, with the goal of persuading the reader that you are the best candidate. These paragraphs can be challenging to write, because they require you to strike a balance between brevity and including enough details, actions, and results. You will need to choose carefully which achievements best illustrate the qualifications and skills an employer is seeking and include appropriate details and actions so that an outsider can easily follow what you did and what the results were.

For example, if a job description emphasizes problem-solving skills, a body paragraph might describe an example of a problem you solved at work, using well-chosen details that allow the reader to fully understand the situation. It would include the actions you took in the process of solving the problem, as well as what the results of these actions were and how these results constituted a positive outcome for the organization. It should also directly relate this problem solving ability to the job description and convey to the reader that this is one of the ways in which you will contribute if you are hired.

Your closing paragraph should reaffirm your interest in and qualifications for the position you want. It should also give the reader a reason to follow up with you, such as by stating that you would like to discuss your qualifications further in an interview.

Perfect Spelling and Grammar

Even small mistakes in your writing can cost you the job. Even though a minor error with spelling, grammar, or punctuation may not seem like a big deal, it can speak volumes to an employer, especially when the position requires written communication skills or attention to detail.

Compose a Unique Letter for Every Application

If you’ve ever performed a “Find and Replace” search for company names to quickly convert a cover letter sent to one firm into one that can be submitted to another, you’re not alone – but you’re making a serious mistake. You may assume that, if you are applying only for a certain type of job, you do not need to make changes to your letter for each new application. However, a generalized letter will come up short in comparison to a cover letter written with a specific employer and position in mind. No two firms are identical, and no two job descriptions are exactly alike. Doing research on a firm you’re interested in joining can make a big difference. Speaking to contacts at the firm, attending a firm’s information session on campus, or studying the company website can help you pick out distinctive parts of the firm’s culture and mission, as well as give you an idea of the kind of person it chooses to hire.

Avoid Common Mistakes

Focusing on what you want from the job and not what the employer needs from you.

When you’re passionate about the job you’re pursuing, you can get sidetracked and focus on what you want from the employer – things like learning opportunities, the chance to work with smart people, or the thrill of working in a fast-paced environment often come up. Passion is crucial, but your first goal is to convince the firm that you will fulfill its needs. While your cover letter’s introduction and conclusion should state your interest in the job, this is not what the body paragraphs should be devoted to doing.

Rewording, rather than expanding upon, your resume.

Another bad habit when writing cover letters to accompany a resume is failing to include enough new information. A cover letter should give the recruiter new and compelling details about your achievements that connect to the job requirements. If everything on a cover letter could be learned by reading your resume, there wouldn’t be any point in submitting one.

Lying or exaggerating about skills and experiences.

Always assume the possibility of a recruiter calling previous employers to confirm experience listed on your resume or cover letter, as well as the possibility that you will be asked in an interview to demonstrate skills you claim to possess.

Underselling yourself.

Don’t downplay the skills and experience you can bring to a job. If you’ve accomplished something that relates to the job description, do not shy away from including it out of concern that it might be perceived as bragging. You are supposed to sell yourself in cover letters and resumes, so be direct about your skills and achievements. If you are inexperienced in the industry, do not emphasize this; for internships and entry-level jobs, a lack of experience is expected. Instead, focus on other achievements that you can relate to the requirements for the job.

Improper salutations and closings.

Whenever possible, address your letter to someone specific. If you know your letter will go to a recruiter named Jane Smith, your salutation should read “Dear Ms. Smith,” unless you have met her before and know for sure that she would prefer for you to call her Jane. When addressing a letter to a woman you do not know, use the prefix “Ms.” (unless, of course, she holds a professional title like “Dr.”). If (and only if) you cannot find a specific name for the recipient of your letter, a general salutation like “Dear Hiring Manager” or “Dear Sir or Madam” is appropriate. At the end of the letter, before your signature/name, closings such as “Sincerely” are appropriate.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 26, 2013

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Benny, you did not get your foot in the door at the pizza place. I keep seeing you say things like this, and it kind of baffles me. You weren't qualified for the job. If, in a couple months, a job opens up where they need a dish washer or someone to make pizzas, I guarantee you that the manager won't snap his fingers and think, "BENNY! BENNY SAID HE COULD MAKE ME A PIZZA!" He probably forgot about you soon after you left. If you weren't qualified for the job, you won't hear from that place again unless you go back and re-apply for another position down the line.

Every time you have an interview (save for the auto writing job you let slip through your fingers), you think it went really well and that you have your foot in the door, and you don't. You've got to adopt a more realistic view of things.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

Benny, you did not get your foot in the door at the pizza place. I keep seeing you say things like this, and it kind of baffles me. You weren't qualified for the job. If, in a couple months, a job opens up where they need a dish washer or someone to make pizzas, I guarantee you that the manager won't snap his fingers and think, "BENNY! BENNY SAID HE COULD MAKE ME A PIZZA!" He probably forgot about you soon after you left. If you weren't qualified for the job, you won't hear from that place again unless you go back and re-apply for another position down the line.

Every time you have an interview (save for the auto writing job you let slip through your fingers), you think it went really well and that you have your foot in the door, and you don't. You've got to adopt a more realistic view of things.

This is very true. Bear in mind that most hiring managers are not assholes who will say to your face "Listen, you're completely unqualified for the jobs that we have available, so don't bother following up. Even if a different position opens up, we can't give you first dibs on it just because you showed up today."

"You're welcome to re-apply next time there is an opening" is usually a brush-off line, a polite way of telling you "no." The same thing happens when you submit a resume for a professional position on a corporate website (if they even bother to respond to the candidates who weren't selected.) The auto-response is usually something along the lines of "Thank you for applying, but there are no available positions that are a match for you at this time. However, we will keep your information on file in case there is another opening that is a better fit for you."

I have gotten dozens of those form emails, and guess what? None of them have been followed by "Hey, this new job just opened up and based on that other application you submitted, you're perfect for it! Want to come in and interview?" Ever. And it's been quite a few years.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Pepperoni pizza maker for hire. Recent college grad, excelent English writing skills, prior fast food experience, good work, work hard, campaign 2012 expert, will make pepperoni pizzas for money.

-Call Benny the Snake.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 26, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

PurePerfection posted:

The auto-response is usually something along the lines of "Thank you for applying, but there are no available positions that are a match for you at this time. However, we will keep your information on file in case there is another opening that is a better fit for you."

The best form e-mails are the ones that include a line about how impressive your credentials were. In other words, everyone's credentials were impressive, even the ones completely unqualified.

(Of course, you're not supposed to be aware that they sent the same e-mail to every applicant they rejected.)

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 26, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The best form e-mails are the ones that include a line about how impressive your credentials were. In other words, everyone's credentials were impressive, even the ones completely unqualified.

Oh, yes. It's always a "fit" issue or a "match" issue. Nobody is ever objectively unemployable by any firm. If you're an unemployed former janitor with a GED and a criminal record and your resume is a quarter-page Word document written in neon-green Comic Sans, the likes of Goldman Sachs and McKinsey will be "impressed" by your credentials. But even though you're a worthy candidate, they have to make the very difficult decision not to pursue your application further.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
PurePerfection thank you for that cover letter post up there. That's good stuff for all of us!

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Uncle Salty posted:

PurePerfection thank you for that cover letter post up there. That's good stuff for all of us!

You're welcome! I'm glad it's finally being put to use again after all the hours I spent generating course materials for a university workshop I did not get paid to teach :)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cname posted:

Pepperoni pizza maker for hire. Recent college grad, excelent English writing skills, prior fast food experience, good work, work hard, campaign 2012 expert, will make pepperoni pizzas for money.

-Call Benny the Snake.

I've seen how this ends.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

PurePerfection posted:

Oh, yes. It's always a "fit" issue or a "match" issue. Nobody is ever objectively unemployable by any firm. If you're an unemployed former janitor with a GED and a criminal record and your resume is a quarter-page Word document written in neon-green Comic Sans, the likes of Goldman Sachs and McKinsey will be "impressed" by your credentials. But even though you're a worthy candidate, they have to make the very difficult decision not to pursue your application further.

We usually say that there were other applicants whose skills and experience were a closer match to the role (although we were of course thankful for your comic sans application). This is fairly accurate - it's a nice way of saying "you didn't stack up against the others". We don't start talking about person fit until we've had a chance to interview either by phone or face to face and we realise there's a personality clash.

One thing I hate though is the 'we'll keep you on file!' No one does this, not in retail, not in corporate. I never have this in my responses because its a total lie. I do not have the time or the need to a) file away applications for future reference or b) trawl through them every time there's a vacancy. I used an advertising agency recently for a role and found that stupid line in the decline emails they were proposing to send out on our behalf. I called them up on it and was like "do you actually know ANYONE who does this" and they just went "teehee, well, no, but its a standard response right?" gngggghh (guess who is not being used again)

E: Okay, clearly it's a case of no one does this in my city.

AlbieQuirky posted:

My brother got a newspaper job that way once; he was the runner-up for one job and then when they had the next opening they called him rather than do another search. That's the only time I've ever heard of anyone's resume being on file for real though.

That's different though, that's keeping details of someone who made it all the way through the process. What I was referencing above (maybe not clearly enough) was the wholesale message of "hey you applied, we'll keep your details!" sent to every single person who applied. I've definitely gone back to runners up and gone "hey, still looking?"

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 27, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

One thing I hate though is the 'we'll keep you on file!' No one does this, not in retail, not in corporate.

:colbert: I actually put them into a little file so there you go, now you know one person who actually does this.

On the other hand I just had someone send me a perfectly helpful cover letter. The gist of it was, "I know I'm not qualified at all but I sure wanna work for you!" Oh good, well thanks for letting me know right off the bat how you aren't qualified for anything. *bam* into the trash pile.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

On the other hand I just had someone send me a perfectly helpful cover letter. The gist of it was, "I know I'm not qualified at all but I sure wanna work for you!" Oh good, well thanks for letting me know right off the bat how you aren't qualified for anything. *bam* into the trash pile.

This is the worst, and I really hope Benny isn't doing it. I worry a little after his comment about not being management material at McD's. Even if you don't explicitly state "I am completely unqualified for this position, but I really really need a job, so please?" it still doesn't help your cause to straight up say "I have no experience in the field."

Never do that. They can already tell from your resume whether you've held a similar job before. Just think long and hard about the experience that you do have, figure out what the transferable skills might be, and write about how you'll use those skills to hit the ground running if you get the job.

I successfully pitched my retail sales experience as relevant background for an investment banking job. It can be done. You just have to reduce your experiences to the most basic, general skills: working under pressure, managing client relationships, etc.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

One thing I hate though is the 'we'll keep you on file!' No one does this, not in retail, not in corporate.

My brother got a newspaper job that way once; he was the runner-up for one job and then when they had the next opening they called him rather than do another search. That's the only time I've ever heard of anyone's resume being on file for real though.

• Locked thread