Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I think their issue is setting the firewall up so everyone has access to the app store.

Oh.

Well I mean if they're really hard up for a solution just take a mac laptop to starbucks for an hour [or seven] to download the installer I guess? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Gunjin posted:

Everything is set up pretty normally here for a fortune 500 company. Purchasing is a pain because everything is expected to be net 30, which is fine when buying from a VAR but not so good when buying one off downloads, and I don't have a company credit card so I can't charge it and write it off. And our IT security is super tight because there are literally billions of dollars worth of trade secret poo poo going on. I've got everything to the point where downloading it won't be a problem, it's now down to getting someone with a company card to explain to purchasing why we need what we need, and get the approval to buy it and get it expensed. I wish I could use the volume stuff Marty, but I'm the only Mac out of about 7000 computers.

If you still want software on a polycarbonate disc to make dealing with the bureaucracy easier that's fair enough, but the situation isn't Apple's fault. Anyway, why are you personally responsible for maintaining your own independently configured computer in a 'fortune 500 company', one with super strict security no less?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

NOTinuyasha posted:

If you still want software on a polycarbonate disc to make dealing with the bureaucracy easier that's fair enough, but the situation isn't Apple's fault. Anyway, why are you personally responsible for maintaining your own independently configured computer in a 'fortune 500 company', one with super strict security no less?

IT typically leaves my machine alone other than inventory time because it's never connected to the network, and they have no idea how to properly configure and set it up. I'm the only person at the company who does what I do and it's rather specialized so I get the freedom to spec what I need within reason and they get it for me, but conversely I have to maintain it all myself.

EDIT: Anyway, we're getting a bit far afield here. My questions been answered, it's inconvenient but I'll figure out some way around.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 24, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Martytoof posted:

Can you go to Disk Management in Windows and just remove its drive letter? I don't know if that would stick through reboots or not.

Alternately, I suppose if you really wanted to sever the link you could just delete the HFS drivers:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2133740?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not sure how up-to-date that is since I don't use Apple's HFS drivers, unfortunately.

I might give both those a go.
Wait, you're not using Apple's HFS drivers? I didn't realise there was a good alternative.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

You're having issues with newline characters. The problem is they are different between Unix (OS X) and Windows.

OS X uses a linefeed character. Windows/DOS uses a linefeed character plus a carriage return. Classic Mac OS uses just a carriage return.

So any decent text editor will allow you to save the files in either of those formats. Try Sublime Text 2, TextWrangler, or Komodo Edit.

So many replies, thanks to everyone.

I didn't know this was going to be so hard, I'll try some of the solutions posted and I'll see how they work out!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I've started having a few issues with my 27" iMac running Mountain Lion. All software is up to date, and I've just verified disk and disk permissions (from the recovery partition), and run a virus scan for what it's worth.

I'm getting hundreds of these entries in my console (in /var/log/messages)

code:
25/04/13 12:44:21.659 PM librariand[434]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
I've googled for anything like that, but could only find brief mention of the iCloud beta. So I'm not sure how it would relate to me or what I can do about it.

The computer normally gets left on overnight, but twice this week I've woken it up to find the whole system unresponsive, bar the mouse cursor. Looking at the console log, there are again many entries for UBCopyItemListForPath, and also hundreds of entries stating that the file table is full, which I'm pretty sure is why it locked up in the first place. I don't have any idea what is causing this though.

My spotlight index also completely corrupted itself and had to be rebuilt, which could be related. I have also been getting messages in the console about quicklookd being unable to process a preview for a corrupted jpg image.

Any pointers on where to start looking? I thought it might be the hard drive dying, but disk utility insists everything is fine, for what that's worth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

the_lion posted:

I might give both those a go.
Wait, you're not using Apple's HFS drivers? I didn't realise there was a good alternative.

There's a paid alternative. Google Paragon.

I regret buying it though. I've needed to use it a grand total of maybe twice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's a good/free piece of data recovery software. Friend of mine formated an HFS drive by accident, so it doesn't need to be very sophisticated.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
So my new 27inch Mac is a loving dick and managed to get its disk corrupted. I have 90% of it backed up on time Machine. There's a 10% that's not backed up (2 VM images).

Does anyone have experience with purchasing Disk Warrior? What I'm unclear on is if I buy their software do I have to wait for some DVD to come in the mail? I'm seeing some reviews from angry people who bought it and weren't able to do anything because they had to wait for a DVD to arrive yet their purchase button has an option for Download+DVD.

I'm just concerned about dropping $100 because I'm too lazy to copy the VMs to an external disk via single user mode and restore everything from Time Machine then come to find out I'll be doing that anyway. Also in regards to Time Machine, if I restore from 10.8.2 but my Time Machine data is 10.8.3 -- does that matter?

For those that care I'm getting an Invalid Node Structure error on the disk. I tried a few different techniques to fix this such as:
http://african-heart.blogspot.com/2010/07/fixing-invalid-node-structure-in-mac.html

It's a real bitch too because the entire HD is fully accessible.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Good data recovery software? Prosoft's Data Rescue 3.
Free data recovery software? Maybe ddrescue if you're handy with the command line.

DiskWarrior would require something else to boot from. That would either be an external hard drive with an OS installed, or the DiskWarrior DVD that will come in the mail.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sonic Dude posted:

Good data recovery software? Prosoft's Data Rescue 3.
Free data recovery software? Maybe ddrescue if you're handy with the command line.

DiskWarrior would require something else to boot from. That would either be an external hard drive with an OS installed, or the DiskWarrior DVD that will come in the mail.

I'm okay in the recovery piece... So if I boot into DiskWarrior from my Mac Mini can I repair a network hard drive? Can I even add my computer to the network in Single user mode?

Having to wait for a DVD to come in the mail will take a lot longer than just doing a cp on my files to an external disk.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

I'm okay in the recovery piece... So if I boot into DiskWarrior from my Mac Mini can I repair a network hard drive? Can I even add my computer to the network in Single user mode?

Having to wait for a DVD to come in the mail will take a lot longer than just doing a cp on my files to an external disk.

Recovery was for the previous poster.

You can't do it over a network without a fair amount of teeth-gnashing (or maybe even at all), but you could connect the two with a FireWire cable, boot the problematic computer into Target Disk Mode, and run DiskWarrior that way.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sonic Dude posted:

Recovery was for the previous poster.

You can't do it over a network without a fair amount of teeth-gnashing (or maybe even at all), but you could connect the two with a FireWire cable, boot the problematic computer into Target Disk Mode, and run DiskWarrior that way.

No firewire on new iMac. Thunderbolt on iMac, Firewire on the mini. So it looks like I'm boned.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Heads up there is only one day left for the MacHeist nanoBundle 3. It's $10 and includes Fantastical, Path Finder and AirServer among others.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

No firewire on new iMac. Thunderbolt on iMac, Firewire on the mini. So it looks like I'm boned.

No idea if it will work in target disk mode but:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adaptor

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Oh- looks like I might be stopping by Apple store on the way home. Thanks!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

ManPortable posted:

Heads up there is only one day left for the MacHeist nanoBundle 3. It's $10 and includes Fantastical, Path Finder and AirServer among others.

Worth it for xScope alone. It saves me so much time when doing PSD to HTML stuff.

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 25, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It will work in target disk mode. I use a couple of these adapters pretty much every day at work.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm getting scary lines on my monitor(s). :ohdear:

Note that it only displays this problem when one or more external monitors are attached, though it displays the problem on all monitors. Some windows are free of it (e.g., when I went to look up system information, it was free of the lines).

Rebooting did not fix it.

I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina, 15", 2.8 GHz Intel Cor i7, with 16GB RAM. Graphics appears to be NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

I'm all backed up, and I have AppleCare, but this is super bad timing :( What can/should I do?

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 26, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tried letting the laptop rest awhile? Graphic artifacts like that usually are a result of a GPU running too hot / too close to its upper temp limit.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Tried letting the laptop rest awhile? Graphic artifacts like that usually are a result of a GPU running too hot / too close to its upper temp limit.

Just tried that for 30 ish minutes. When I boot it up, if no external monitors are attached, the screen looks fine, although there are hints of the vertical grey bars at the top, but only for a few seconds. Attach a second monitor, and they're everywhere. I guess I'll try turning it off and letting it rest for tonight.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

DirtyRobot posted:

Just tried that for 30 ish minutes. When I boot it up, if no external monitors are attached, the screen looks fine, although there are hints of the vertical grey bars at the top, but only for a few seconds. Attach a second monitor, and they're everywhere. I guess I'll try turning it off and letting it rest for tonight.

I don't mean to jump the gun, but your GPU shouldn't have an issue just powering multiple monitors unless you're doing some other GPU intensive thing at the same time.

Is it particularly hot in the room you're using the computer in? Ambient temperature can make quite a difference. If that's not it you might have a bad GPU and you may need to get that fixed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That's going to be a logic board change then, GPU isn't socketed.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 26, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

I don't mean to jump the gun, but your GPU shouldn't have an issue just powering multiple monitors unless you're doing some other GPU intensive thing at the same time.

Is it particularly hot in the room you're using the computer in? Ambient temperature can make quite a difference. If that's not it you might have a bad GPU and you may need to get that fixed.

Binary Badger posted:

That's going to be a logic board change then, GPU isn't socketed.

Thanks and thanks.

I guess I'll take it in. I'm within a year of purchase and I have Applecare. Is there anything I should do before taking it in? Does anyone know how long a repair like this would take, and/or is it likely to get worse or totally screw me over if I wait a few days?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

DirtyRobot posted:

Thanks and thanks.

I guess I'll take it in. I'm within a year of purchase and I have Applecare. Is there anything I should do before taking it in? Does anyone know how long a repair like this would take, and/or is it likely to get worse or totally screw me over if I wait a few days?

Turn around time varies depending on the stores workload. Could take less than a day, could take 3-5. You won't know until you go talk to someone at their store. Make sure you're backed up beforehand.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
http://www.syncovery.com/

Used to be called Super Flexible File Synchronizer

Anyone used it?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

benisntfunny posted:

So my new 27inch Mac is a loving dick and managed to get its disk corrupted. I have 90% of it backed up on time Machine. There's a 10% that's not backed up (2 VM images).

Does anyone have experience with purchasing Disk Warrior? What I'm unclear on is if I buy their software do I have to wait for some DVD to come in the mail? I'm seeing some reviews from angry people who bought it and weren't able to do anything because they had to wait for a DVD to arrive yet their purchase button has an option for Download+DVD.

I'm just concerned about dropping $100 because I'm too lazy to copy the VMs to an external disk via single user mode and restore everything from Time Machine then come to find out I'll be doing that anyway. Also in regards to Time Machine, if I restore from 10.8.2 but my Time Machine data is 10.8.3 -- does that matter?

For those that care I'm getting an Invalid Node Structure error on the disk. I tried a few different techniques to fix this such as:
http://african-heart.blogspot.com/2010/07/fixing-invalid-node-structure-in-mac.html

It's a real bitch too because the entire HD is fully accessible.

I bought an older version (I think version 3? Haven't used it in ages), but basically you boot from the dvd they send you and it (usually) fixes most problems. I assume the download just lets you burn your own disk, since that's what the free updates do from memory. They have a contact number on the site if you're worried.

Great program, let me recover poo poo I thought was gone for good a few times.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just a heads up for anyone still on 10.7 or earlier; if you use Twitter and have Growl, the newest Twitter update(!) 2.2.0 won't work with Growl at all. Apparently this is more Twitter's fault than Growl's but the Growl folks are supposedly looking into it.

The fun thing is that whereas before I couldn't get any other notifications to work with Twitter (Menu, Dock) now that Growl's busted none of them work. :(

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

the_lion posted:

I bought an older version (I think version 3? Haven't used it in ages), but basically you boot from the dvd they send you and it (usually) fixes most problems. I assume the download just lets you burn your own disk, since that's what the free updates do from memory. They have a contact number on the site if you're worried.

Great program, let me recover poo poo I thought was gone for good a few times.

I went to the Apple Store hoping they sold it and could verify it worked for me. Their web site has an update that says it works for Fusion drives but only recently. Anyway, they didn't have it. Bought an external thunderbolt drive, copied an image of my disk to it (After I was finally able to get it mounting) then restored everything else I needed from Time Machine.

Speaking of Time Machine... my big problem today was that I don't have Time Machine back up my VMs because of their size. Parallels has this document on "Optimizing for Time Machine" but I don't actually know what that means.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

benisntfunny posted:

Speaking of Time Machine... my big problem today was that I don't have Time Machine back up my VMs because of their size. Parallels has this document on "Optimizing for Time Machine" but I don't actually know what that means.
It takes snapshots of your VMs at various times but keeps the snapshots at a minimum to minimize Time Machine's backup times.

I generally recommend installing a backup program in the VM rather than backing up the VM itself. Less chances of data corruption.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Textual 3.0 is out and on sale for $3 until the 28th. Full changelog available.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

wolffenstein posted:

It takes snapshots of your VMs at various times but keeps the snapshots at a minimum to minimize Time Machine's backup times.

I generally recommend installing a backup program in the VM rather than backing up the VM itself. Less chances of data corruption.

Makes sense. I'll probably just write some code to copy the images to a backup drive at night I think.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Roving Reporter posted:

Textual 3.0 is out and on sale for $3 until the 28th. Full changelog available.

This is as good a time as any to go from compiling my own to the paid MAS version. Thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, great price. Picked it up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My brain interpreted that as Sublime Text and got really excited. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've been using Colloquy since forever and it works just fine on top of being free. What's the major difference between Textual and it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stare-Out posted:

I've been using Colloquy since forever and it works just fine on top of being free. What's the major difference between Textual and it?

You can post your specs and uptime to irc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Not much really. I just prefer how it looks, mostly. I switched from Colloquy a long time ago because of some bug where it would show timestamps next to the wrong message or something -- I honestly don't really remember it was that long ago. I'm sure it's been fixed by now but I never really saw a reason to switch back.

Textual is also free if you compile it yourself. I figured $4 or whatever was a fair price to not have to do that myself.

Colloquy DID have the advantage that it would work as a bouncer for their iPad version so I could chat from bed or something. I haven't used my iPad to chat on IRC since like the first week I owned it though so that didn't really play into it for me at all.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 26, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ahh, okay cool. Thanks for the info. I guess it's nice to know there's a good alternative in case Colloquy ever loses dev support or whatever. Their Lion patch took months to come out so it's clearly not receiving that much support as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Are there any Calibre equivalents around yet that have interfaces that aren't terrible?

Delicious Library 3 got my hopes up, but then I saw that they still haven't added ebook support.