Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jesus, I just made my fourth attempt at beating the boss of the Algon Microelectronics dungeon, which failed as he wouldn't do anything but cast Megidola for 4 straight rounds. :wtc: did I do to piss you off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Boneless Jogger posted:

The Japanese website for Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is also up now, but there really isn't much on there yet that we didn't know already.

But also there has been a small English trailer of SMT IV released.

Papa Nier :swoon:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the consensus on Soul Hackers?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PonchAxis posted:

Whats the consensus on Soul Hackers?

It's good but turn off battle animations. They seem to cause crashes which is too bad because some of them are pretty cool.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's good but turn off battle animations. They seem to cause crashes which is too bad because some of them are pretty cool.

I haven't had a crash since Agi and Bufu stopped being enemy spells. It seems to happen when Agi or Bufu hit Nemissa.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I can't tell if they intentionally wanted to invoke Philemon's English VA from Persona 1 or just stopped giving a poo poo. I wasn't too happy with Soul Hackers' voice acting either, everyone sounds five or ten years younger than they look. Also I do hope there's an option to play in first person like in Nocturne. Can't wait though, I think Devil Survivor 2 and Ronde are the only Megami Tensei games I straight up don't like. I'm really happy that while the series had some false starts in the US with stuff like Jack Bros. and how they tried to launch the games under the "Revelations" name at first with Persona 1 and Last Bible for GB we basically get every game now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there any tips for VS Poker? I can't get a streak going for poo poo :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Always pick the sure thing if you have it. (A pair, whatever.)

If you have four of a suite, go for a Flush.

Otherwise pick the high card and hold it.

Don't retry more than once. If you lose two in a row (or even two games period), just reload and try again.

This is basically all I did and I won almost every game. Sometimes you'll get screwed but that tends to be unavoidable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, EU goons, you've got something nice coming your way courtesy of NIS America!

http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/SoulHackers_PAL_20130425_NISA_F.pdf

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey, EU goons, you've got something nice coming your way courtesy of NIS America!

http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/SoulHackers_PAL_20130425_NISA_F.pdf

So both Soul Hackers AND SMTIV is coming to Europe, right? I mean SMTIV was announced at some point too wasn't it?

I guess I'm getting a 3DS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dorroile posted:

So both Soul Hackers AND SMTIV is coming to Europe, right? I mean SMTIV was announced at some point too wasn't it?

I guess I'm getting a 3DS.

Yep, and Ghostlight has nothing to do with either of them!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't tell if they intentionally wanted to invoke Philemon's English VA from Persona 1 or just stopped giving a poo poo.
That has to be intentional... it's even worded like Philemon's lines from the original Persona.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Nevermind! I found it.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 26, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXGwDoUZ-o

Break Record has animated cutscenes. It's kind of a weird effect.
Hinako's oufit status: Still loving ridiculous.

Seriously, her right boob is trying to claw its way out from her top in that cutscene.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there a good mainline SMT game for a beginner? I've played quite a bit of 3 but the difficulty really holds me back, and to be honest I'm not really a fan of the demon fusing system, I'd rather have a dedicated party than have to micromanage demons.
I know Digital Devil Saga does away with it and is more friendly, but at the moment I'm more interested in the oldschool first person dungeon crawly ones.

Any recommendations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reive posted:

Is there a good mainline SMT game for a beginner? I've played quite a bit of 3 but the difficulty really holds me back, and to be honest I'm not really a fan of the demon fusing system, I'd rather have a dedicated party than have to micromanage demons.
I know Digital Devil Saga does away with it and is more friendly, but at the moment I'm more interested in the oldschool first person dungeon crawly ones.

Any recommendations?

The thing is that demon fusing is the SMT thing. Aside from the Persona games (which still feature a lot of fusing, just for Personas instead of demons), you're not going to find a lot that combines "dedicated party" and "first person dungeon. Demon recruiting and fusing in some fashion is a huge part of SMT as a franchise and you're not going to find many games without it.

If you're looking for a dungeon crawler, you'd want to look at Strange Journey or Soul Hackers. Both have their flaws but are generally solid intros for a first time, as long as you acknowledge that Soul Hackers came out in 1997 and FEELS like it came out in 1997. Both feature demons as a major point however. Strange Journey is the harder game but has a more friendly user interface. Soul Hackers is easier but more dated and contains some designs decisions were are removed from more recently games like the Magnetite system.

Persona 2 for the PSP might be the closest to what you're looking for. It still contains Persona micromanagement however, and is split into two parts with two different translations, one of which is an updated port and the other which s a straight re-release of a PS1 game.

If you're just looking for a first-person dungeon crawler with a dedicated party, try Etrian Odyssey 4. It's not a SMT game but may be closer to what you're looking for.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 26, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

I'm actually not really looking for a dungeon crawler, I just like that visual presentation's atmosphere, I played a little of the translation of SMT1 back in the day and really enjoyed it aesthetically.
And while I don't really like the fusing it's mainly due to how much you have to focus on it in 3, Persona I can deal with since it's a catalyst for skills and not something you use as a party member.
So if any of the games followed that line of logic I'd probably enjoy it more, or hell just being easier in general would mean less micromanaging anyway if your demons could hold out longer without needing changed around, that'd work for me.

(although I'm probably going to look into EO4 now that you mention it, looks leagues better than the first one)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Reive posted:

I'm actually not really looking for a dungeon crawler, I just like that visual presentation's atmosphere, I played a little of the translation of SMT1 back in the day and really enjoyed it aesthetically.
And while I don't really like the fusing it's mainly due to how much you have to focus on it in 3, Persona I can deal with since it's a catalyst for skills and not something you use as a party member.
So if any of the games followed that line of logic I'd probably enjoy it more, or hell just being easier in general would mean less micromanaging anyway if your demons could hold out longer without needing changed around, that'd work for me.

(although I'm probably going to look into EO4 now that you mention it, looks leagues better than the first one)

EO4 is amazing.

But yeah, if you doing enjoy the demon fusing aspect of SMT games, they probably aren't for you, since that tends to be a rather large part of all of them.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Pollyanna posted:

While VS Poker is good for guaranteeing yourself a decent amount of coins, unless you are brilliant at poker, getting 50,000 coins will take a long time. I found that it's actually a lot quicker to play the dice game. What I did was bet the maximum on three numbers adjacent to one-another, and then put the maximum amount in the Frost Bet. If one of those numbers is rolled, I then played the bonus game until it reached the maximum amount of times played, or until I reached around 5,000 and didn't want to lose that to the roll of a seven. Two, Three, and Twelve often have high pay-outs, but that's because they are the hardest to roll. I often go for the numbers in the middle, usually excluding seven, because it's the easiest number to roll, thus having the lowest pay-out.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Reive posted:

Hate to say it, but the combination of things you're looking for is pretty antithetical to the way SMT works. DDS really is the absolute closest you're going to get to what you want.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You also might want to look into the Raidou games if you haven't played those, specifically DS2: Raidou vs. King Abaddon, but yeah, from what it sounds like SMT proper just isn't a series for you. Digital Devil Saga is the closest you're going to get for what you want.

E: Completely unrelated, but roughly how long is Soul Hackers? I'm ten hours in, just finished the Auto Plant and it's been really easy. Not that I mind an SMT game that's not breaking my balls from the word go, mind you.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 26, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Goddamn, this is frustrating. I have been playing Soul Hackers for at least an hour and a half, I'm in the freezer and I have yet to get a single goddamn demon to join me.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Speedball posted:

Goddamn, this is frustrating. I have been playing Soul Hackers for at least an hour and a half, I'm in the freezer and I have yet to get a single goddamn demon to join me.

Have you been looking for the smiley face next to their names?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kthegreat posted:

Have you been looking for the smiley face next to their names?

I believe that you need to talk first with a Knocker for the talk tutorial for those to show up.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I am also in the warehouse and my problem is not knowing where to go to revive dead demons. Any advice?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I am also in the warehouse and my problem is not knowing where to go to revive dead demons. Any advice?

There's a few options for that, on the bf3 there's a terminal and a heal spot. There you can revive your demons, the Sawamura Thai on Shibahama Core offers the same services but I think is pricey there and lastly, you can buy revival beads on Rx and Effects

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reive posted:

If you want an SMT game with a party system then Digital Devil Saga is what you want. You need to manage their skills and weapons and that's about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

Hinako's oufit status: Still loving ridiculous.

Seriously, her right boob is trying to claw its way out from her top in that cutscene.

What about the Hero's hood? Even in those new cutscenes it looks like some sort of graphical bug.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Just in case anyone else is playing, or decides to try, SMT Imagine, feel free to PM me (or just post at me I guess if you don't have PMs) - I've fixed up SEBEC a bit so it can function as a goon guild. You get some minor bonuses (stats, xp, etc) for being in clans, so it's helpful.

Though I doubt very many people are jumping at the chance, I figure it would be a good idea to at least mention it. I can also help powerlevel people or dump some macca on newbies.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Artix posted:

You also might want to look into the Raidou games if you haven't played those, specifically DS2: Raidou vs. King Abaddon, but yeah, from what it sounds like SMT proper just isn't a series for you. Digital Devil Saga is the closest you're going to get for what you want.

E: Completely unrelated, but roughly how long is Soul Hackers? I'm ten hours in, just finished the Auto Plant and it's been really easy. Not that I mind an SMT game that's not breaking my balls from the word go, mind you.

You're about halfway through.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

You're about halfway through.

:psyduck: Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be that short. Are there multiple endings at least?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Artix posted:

:psyduck: Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be that short. Are there multiple endings at least?

Please understand that when I say "halfway through" I mean you have completed roughly half the dungeons in the game. Later dungeons are longer. The next two (or three if you do the sidequest) you're headed to can be pretty big slogs. Even still, like most 32 bit JRPGs, Soul Hackers isn't actually all that long.

There are multiple endings but one is only available in New Game +.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Alright, so I'm at The Haunted Mansion. What happens if I take Six? Is it a good thing, bad thing? Is it plot related?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The boss gets another minion everytime you try to take Six, so I'm told.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

So you get a harder battle? I'm up for that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snix posted:

Alright, so I'm at The Haunted Mansion. What happens if I take Six? Is it a good thing, bad thing? Is it plot related?

Man, why would you want to mess with Kid A?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

To save Six I think.
:shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

What about the Hero's hood? Even in those new cutscenes it looks like some sort of graphical bug.
That at least looks like something that makes sense. It's just goofy looking.

Hinako's outfit...is just plain :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

That at least looks like something that makes sense. It's just goofy looking.

Hinako's outfit...is just plain :psyduck:

She said it herself in one of her Fate link cutscenes: she wanted attention from people and if she didn't wear something outrageous, she'd just look like a girl in glasses and nothing more.

Her outfit is really :psyduck: if the game really does take place in late Winter like some scenes seem to imply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love how this has turned into a fashion thread. Not kidding.