Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sid Vicious posted:

For real that is pure art

I want to live in world where people came together to make sure that was made. It's the least we can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

polynominal-c posted:

The entire string of SEO keywords is not HTML text, but it's in a PNG image :psyboom:

That is because he took screenshots of his apps and their descriptions, images, etc. in iTunes Connect. This means that he, at least at one point, tried to SEO his apps in the App Store using some comically and transparently shady methodology.

As I said, I just feel badly for the guy.

EDIT: Also, his "Expense Tracker" app prominently features "Strip Club" as a category. Right next to "Fun Day."

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Apr 26, 2013

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

AxeManiac posted:

I want to live in world where people came together to make sure that was made. It's the least we can do.

Does Indiegogo accept Paypal because this is seriously something I would consider donating to, and I don't have a credit card at all.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Machai posted:

e: just realized, those beaver shirts could all just be vagina jokes. Terrible vagina jokes.

Yes, that was the whole point.

The Walken T-Rex has raised over two thousand dollars to build a Christopher Walken T-Rex made out of shop towel-mache. That is beautiful.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009301036/abgo

It's a cell phone sized skateboard that you put on one foot that can only go on perfectly flat surfaces. I don't usually like watching project videos, but I literally had to to understand how this thing worked. And I still don't really get it.
Wait, this dude basically invented a lovely roller-skate?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, this dude basically invented a lovely roller-skate?

Yes, with an emphasis on it being singular rather than a pair.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

How do you plan to make a giant Christopher Walken T-Rex and not call it 'Walken With Dinosaurs'.

Koerschgen
Oct 25, 2012

Man kann sich ja mal vertun.
The self-defined "youngest novelist of the world", Gloria Tesch, is now looking for backers. Her adventure book series Maradonia will be made into a movie! Exciting!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/maradonia-and-the-seven-bridges

Tesch is mostly known for her awful writing accompanied by delusions of grandeur. For further reading, I recommend:
http://conjugalfelicity.com/a-trip-inside-the-mind-of-team-tesch/

She's looking for 20.000 Dollars and well, at least the trailer on indigogo is not as cringe-worthy as the older one, but still crammed full of abysmal acting and silly costumes. Conveniently the role of her self-insert mary-sue heroine Maya is performed by Gloria Tesch herself.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Jesus, that trailer's not even a train wreck. If it were a train wreck, I could at least mock it mercilessly. Now I don't know what to do about it.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I recently had a workshop in creative writing class in which I was told to never publish poo poo written as a teen, because later in life if you DID want to break into writing with more serious work, agents could google you, find your crappy teen lit, and reject you. It's just almost never going to be publishable.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I knew, from the very second I saw the name, that it'd be flexible funding. Hmmm, wonder why that is...

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's too perfect that Tesch is playing Maya; the author literally playing as the self-insert.

I second the recommendation of reading the Maradonia books through Conjugal Felicity; the way the dude covers them is a gem in itself. :allears:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
This one's interesting:

http://www.gofundme.com/2q5biw

GoFundMe posted:

This week as workers lay buried in the rubble of a collapsed factory, Slate.com blogger Matt Yglesias' response was "meh". With more than 300 workers dead ( over 100 at the time of writing), Matt argued that it was okay for poor countries to have poorer building codes. Mind you, it's wealthy US companies that send their production to Bangladesh.We think that Matt should go to Bangladesh and work in a factory. Then, he can report on whether it's okay for poorer human beings to die on the job.
Oh, and if Matt refuses to go, we'll donate the money raised directly to workers in Bangladesh.
Who knows, maybe Matt will agree to go to Bangladesh and fund himself, so all the money raised can go directly to workers.

I love the idea, but I don't know if it's trustworthy.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/888628681/zombie-law-zombies-in-the-federal-courts-a-caseboo?ref=live

Nerdy lawyer with poor PhotoShop skills obsessed with zombies writes a casebook (like a class textbook, but with example cases) and thinks that schools can actually utilize this steaming pile of poo poo and offer courses on "zombie law." He also hopes to do the same thing with ninjas in the future. As if undergraduate institutions don't offer enough bullshit blowoff courses, and any law school that takes itself seriously won't even bother looking at the pitch.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

I knew, from the very second I saw the name, that it'd be flexible funding. Hmmm, wonder why that is...

Is there any reason not to do Flexible Funding on IndieGoGo? I don't think I've ever seen a project that doesn't have it.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

bvoid posted:

Is there any reason not to do Flexible Funding on IndieGoGo? I don't think I've ever seen a project that doesn't have it.

Its just really sketchy, the reason you put a goal is because presumably that is how much it will take you to accomplish your goal, with flexible funding whatever people donate instantly goes to you, and it doesn't matter if you reach your goal or not, so chances are its either scammy or the people who made it are idiots who shouldn't be trusted with money.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

People tend to underestimate a project's cost anyway, so allowing them to receive less than they asked for probably won't result in a successful project.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

bvoid posted:

I think Fixed Funding takes a bigger cut, so people that need/want a particular amount don't have to worry as much about admin fees.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Antitonic posted:

I think Fixed Funding takes a bigger cut, so people that need/want a particular amount don't have to worry as much about admin fees.

Actually, Flexible Funding takes a bigger cut if the project fails. If it succeeds, they take the same cut as they would for Fixed.

Fixed is actually a better deal, but people know they are coming up with something that isn't worth it, or they just want the money, so they tend to choose Flexible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There can be good reasons for picking flexible funding, though I agree that the majority of them are probably just an attempt to get free money..

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oasx posted:

There can be good reasons for picking flexible funding, though I agree that the majority of them are probably just an attempt to get free money..

This, and the misuse makes the projects that do use it for real reasons look bad. I've used flexible funding for a couple of student films, which were going to get made no matter what because they were for school. The money was to make them better and make it so me and my crew had to spend less out of pocket. And on projects where each of us are already putting in over $500 any bit does help. But then you get people who want to make a new iPhone case that also jerks you off or something and use it, and they lower the tone of the whole thing.

butts lol
May 18, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/somagames/redwall-the-warrior-reborn

Kickstarter which at first glance appears to be funding an adventure game based on children's fighting animal book series Redwall but actually seems to be putting $11,000 towards the creation of a Minecraft map?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, isn't Kickstarter only available to people in the US and Britain? Indiegogo and the like might be the only option for people elsewhere to turn to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
How not to make a good impression:

quote:

Living her whole life in the small town of Raven, Ohio, Nevaeh has always been fascinated by the supernatural through her mother's stories of vampires, angels and the war between them. However, her own feelings of right and wrong, good and evil, love and hate are thrown into a quandary when she meets and falls in love with Ian. And what about her father's mysterious disappearance two-years-prior? And why can't Nevaeh stop thinking about the vampire Lukas Blazer from her mother's stories? Get to know me. I'm simply a 30-year-old woman who loves to write. It is my sanctuary, my passion, my truth. No matter what life has thrown at me, writing has been the most constant form of therapy. My life has never been anything less than a struggle suffering from medical conditions that most doctors don’t have a lot of experience with. At the age of 14-years-old I was placed in a plastic and metal back brace that went from my shoulders to my buttocks with two medal bars that wrapped around my neck. Needless to say wearing this thing to school, high school no less, every day was horrific. On a daily basis I was tormented and desperate to find an escape; that’s where writing became my escape. I could write a story and magically transport myself into a different world, a different body and I was safe from the torment. This became my passion, the one thing I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to give this gift to others. I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism and have been writing practically my entire life. I used to write for the college newspaper before it was discontinued my senior years. I have written freelance for sites such as, phatguru.com and celebritycafe.com . In 2009 I created my own magazine called, The Conzine, a magazine that focused on who celebrities were behind the glitz and glamor of Hollywood. In September 2010 the publisher of Fan Quarterly got wind of The Conzine and purchased the content rights for a mutually agreed upon price. I have hundreds of published articles on various websites and online news organizations and have also created a fairly successful blog entitled, “Rose Are Red Violets Are Blue.” I began writing, “Midnight to Sunrise,” in August when the idea just kind of burrowed its way from my brain and onto the computer screen. I have always loved vampire romance stories but always felt they lacked originality. I believed they all followed the lore far too heavily. I wanted to create something that wasn’t your typical vampire vs. werewolf story. I wanted to write a book that not only I would enjoy reading but that might give people a new way to envision vampires. Of course when I pictured writing a book I never pictured turning it into a trilogy. However, this series needs far more than one book to complete. I believe it will take readers on a journey through worlds they always pictured but knew they could never go and after all isn't that what books are supposed to be? It's a vampire thing! It's a topic that has been done, redone and then possibly overdone however, we just can't stop our fascination with vampires. Then again, they really are quite fascinating as is the evolution of the modern day vampire. Originally vampires weren't these sexy, gorgeous men and women that movies, books and television portray them as. They were vile, vicious disgusting creatures who sucked the life out of sleeping victims during the night. Actually most of the older lore described vampires as bats, definitely not your 2013 Damon Salvatore. If books like, "The Vampire Diaries," described Damon and Stefan Salvatore as a tiny creatures with fangs who turned into a grotesque bald men, let's be honest we wouldn't flock to our television sets every Thursday night. Modern day vampires have made a dramatic change from what they once were (and I am grateful for this). Now they are described as sensational, irresistible human-like beings who far surpass any power we could begin to imagine. What's more is, the vampires these days are extremely sexy, for the most part.

Print my lovely webcomic

Watch the video. Seriously. I don't know what's worse. The first 2 minutes or the last 7.

Japanese people on Martha's Vineyard

Here is the creator:

Send my 9 year old son to gaming camp

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Apr 27, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That concept art at the bottom is the best. An eye in a game? I'm sold.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You can now count Shadowrun Returns as yet another KS that had to renege on their original pitch. They promised to make their game DRM free but part of the stipulation of getting the license from Microsoft was that they had to include DRM on the final retail product...and they only just this month started telling people. As a result they're using Steam and, while they're offering a special DRM-free version to backers, the only way you can get the DLC that they promised is by using the Steam version. Also there's no loot system and it uses checkpoints instead of manual saves.

These next few months are going to be interesting as the first-generation of big post-DoubleFine game Kickstarters start getting released.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Apr 27, 2013

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Releasing DLC without DRM seems like a terrible idea.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That first one starts out mediocre and passably competent (except for "two-years-prior", I've seen worse pitch letters get bought by publishers) and then just descends into madness. Lady, I don't want to get to know you, and if I had ever wanted to read your bland, derivative vampire novel I certainly don't want to now.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I just found an actual website selling those horrible athiest shoes from a while back. :doh:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can now count Shadowrun Returns as yet another KS that had to renege on their original pitch. They promised to make their game DRM free but part of the stipulation of getting the license from Microsoft was that they had to include DRM on the final retail product...and they only just this month started telling people.

Uh, that's not right. The DRM free version available to backers includes the DLC funded via the Kickstarter. You just need to use the Steam version if you want any of the later DLC.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah, they didn't renege on anything. You can argue about whether they fulfilled the spirit of their pitch or not (and people do argue about that, a lot,) but they definitely scrupulously kept to the letter. The people who kickstarted and were promised the game DRM-free will get the game, DRM-free.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Magypsy posted:

I just found an actual website selling those horrible athiest shoes from a while back. :doh:

What's interesting about those shoes is that, last month, it was reported on the news aggregate sites that there's some unofficial discrimination going on in the USPS involving the tape they use in packaging.

quote:

The company regularly ships shoes, like the ones pictured above, to America. When it does, it seals its boxes with tape featuring the company logo, which is stylized as "ATHEIST · ATHEIST · ATHEIST" (see below). But these shipments often run into problems.

The company explains on its website that shoes shipped the U.S. often take longer than they should to arrive, or go missing altogether. "When some of our customers asked us not to use ATHEIST-branded packing tape on their shipments, we started to wonder if the delays were caused by the US Postal Service taking offence at our overt godlessness."

"So," the company writes, "we launched an experiment."

Said experiment, which is recounted in detail in an infographic on the company's website, saw 178 packages shipped to 89 people in 49 U.S. States. All packages left Berlin on the same day, and each person was sent two packages. The first was sealed with ATHEIST tape, the second with neutral tape. The result? Boxes sealed with ATHEIST tape were ten-times more likely to go missing, and took an average of three days longer to arrive than neutral-wrapped packages.

"Having run a series of control tests in Germany and Europe, which demonstrate no such bias," the company writes, "the problem appears to be in the USA and is likely explained by the differential handling of packages by the employees of the US Postal Service." An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can now count Shadowrun Returns as yet another KS that had to renege on their original pitch. They promised to make their game DRM free but part of the stipulation of getting the license from Microsoft was that they had to include DRM on the final retail product...and they only just this month started telling people. As a result they're using Steam and, while they're offering a special DRM-free version to backers, the only way you can get the DLC that they promised is by using the Steam version. Also there's no loot system and it uses checkpoints instead of manual saves.

These next few months are going to be interesting as the first-generation of big post-DoubleFine game Kickstarters start getting released.

Most of the backers, including me, do not care. Only mega-spergs who literally cannot manage to deal with the concept of installing Steam give anything remotely resembling a poo poo about this. I'd say that's a pretty small but highly vocal minority.

It sucks to not get access to the community content or later DLC, but oh well.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

senrath posted:

Uh, that's not right. The DRM free version available to backers includes the DLC funded via the Kickstarter. You just need to use the Steam version if you want any of the later DLC.

Well that's good! I loved the old SNES RPG and a turned-based game in the same universe sounds like it could be good, so I want it to succeed.

AlternateAccount posted:

Most of the backers, including me, do not care. Only mega-spergs who literally cannot manage to deal with the concept of installing Steam give anything remotely resembling a poo poo about this. I'd say that's a pretty small but highly vocal minority.

It sucks to not get access to the community content or later DLC, but oh well.

It's more the spirit of the thing. The fact that they made their pitch without even having the basic licensing issues ironed-out and raised almost two million dollars on promises they couldn't keep, especially.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

What's interesting about those shoes is that, last month, it was reported on the news aggregate sites that there's some unofficial discrimination going on in the USPS involving the tape they use in packaging.

It's not really interesting, the more strange things you wrap around packages arriving from foreign lands, the more closely inspected they're going to be and the more likely it is to mess up their arrival.

One thing they say is "An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense." - USPS employees are fully allowed to "tamper" with mail, especially packages, especially packages that have been sent from overseas. First class letter mail is generally sealed against everything, but goods shipped from overseas are liable to inspection pretty much at will.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

It's not really interesting, the more strange things you wrap around packages arriving from foreign lands, the more closely inspected they're going to be and the more likely it is to mess up their arrival.

One thing they say is "An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense." - USPS employees are fully allowed to "tamper" with mail, especially packages, especially packages that have been sent from overseas. First class letter mail is generally sealed against everything, but goods shipped from overseas are liable to inspection pretty much at will.

That is not the same thing as tampering and you know it. USPS isn't allowed to lose your poo poo because you put weird tape on it.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Tired of your greasy hands dropping your expensive phone? Here, stick this permanent elastic band on it.

It's an okay idea, but it seems to me like you'd be just as likely to drop whatever you've stuck this to just trying to wiggle your fingers inside the bands. At least they're only 6 bucks? v:shobon:v

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

These are people so passive-aggressive that they have to make a statement with their footprints, what did you expect?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ce gars posted:

Tired of your greasy hands dropping your expensive phone? Here, stick this permanent elastic band on it.

It's an okay idea, but it seems to me like you'd be just as likely to drop whatever you've stuck this to just trying to wiggle your fingers inside the bands. At least they're only 6 bucks? v:shobon:v
I feel like I should be seeing this at 3am after a black and white montage of people dropping their phones and looking really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That is not the same thing as tampering and you know it. USPS isn't allowed to lose your poo poo because you put weird tape on it.

Actually? They are explicitly allowed to refuse delivery of anything suspicious. Anything coming into the United States can be held at customs eternally if they feel like it. This is federal law.

You'd probably get a similar loss rate with other bizarre taping done. It's the way it works.