Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Depending on what you mean by "FFT style" -- that is, how close it has to be to FFT to still count -- there's quite a lot of options. I'd recommend checking out:

- Ghost Recon on 3DS
- Jeanne d'Arc
- Fire Emblem (series)
- SMT Devil Survivor / 2
- XCom Enemy Unknown (the recent one on 360/PS3/PC)
- Growlanser (series)
- Wild Arms XF
- Disgaea (series) and related games
- Yggdra Union

Top of the list is closer to FFT than bottom, more or less.

If you want more genre mixing, take a look at Valkyria Chronicles.

I do not have a 3DS and am not keen to get one, and I already have Jeanne d'Arc but had totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Wild Arms was on my short list, but all of the older Fire Emblem games that I could actually play are sold by wankers at fantastically inflated prices from what I have seen.

There are brand-new copies of FFTA2 on Amazon with free Super Saver Shipping. Sadly, SSS only applies to orders over $25 and the most expensive copies eligible for that are $24.95, so I am actually waiting for the game to go *up* in price of all things before I buy. I do not care at all about game boxes and only somewhat about instruction manuals (though I do tend to collect strategy guides) and as such would not be averse to buying just the cartridge, but everything I see on eBay and the like is not much cheaper than a new copy, which is rather irritating.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

There are brand-new copies of FFTA2 on Amazon with free Super Saver Shipping. Sadly, SSS only applies to orders over $25 and the most expensive copies eligible for that are $24.95, so I am actually waiting for the game to go *up* in price of all things before I buy. I do not care at all about game boxes and only somewhat about instruction manuals (though I do tend to collect strategy guides) and as such would not be averse to buying just the cartridge, but everything I see on eBay and the like is not much cheaper than a new copy, which is rather irritating.

You know you can buy more than one thing at once and get the free super saver shipping applied to the whole order, right? I'm sure there's something in the 2-3 dollar range you wouldn't mind getting.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP? I enjoyed the first one but I felt it was really dragged down by the turn limits, considering how large maps were and how prevalent ambushes were. I felt like I had to memorize a map several times to be successful on later missions. Does VC2 solve that at all?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Levantine posted:

How is Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP? I enjoyed the first one but I felt it was really dragged down by the turn limits, considering how large maps were and how prevalent ambushes were. I felt like I had to memorize a map several times to be successful on later missions. Does VC2 solve that at all?

I don't remember it well enough to address your specific questions, but I didn't like it--there were few maps reused endlessly, with annoying characters so I didn't care enough to slog through them to see the story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VC2's core gameplay is fine but the maps feel cramped and the story's somehow turned into a terrible school anime. Even the generic characters with barely any dialogue are a lot less likable than the ones in the original.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I found a copy for cheap so I guess I'll give it a shot. I think Valkyria Chronicles is something I like more in concept than execution in general anyway. Still it's dirt cheap and I want something I haven't played before. That said is there anything I need to know going in? I've read there is a time component, is that right? Will I lock myself out of missions if I don't hit them quickly enough?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I found the cramped maps kind of interesting, if only for the ability to throw scouts far ahead to a base point then pull out several troops to defend it. It made for some interesting advances at times, but the areas did get very old very fast.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's fun for like 10 hours and then it wears out its welcome. At first blush the new class trees seem like a breath of fresh air but they are just as broken as VC1's after the first tier. While VC1 was more or less a good length, VC2 just feels like it goes on for loving ever. I don't think the maps are necessarily too cramped, but the fact the game is like 100+ stages including side content that have to use the same 5 or whatever objectives and what, 4 environments? Ugh.

I've never really heard of a time component but that's one game I played while being disconnected from the net. Maybe you can let side missions expire? Not sure.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
On the positive side, one of the last bosses in VC2 has a giant metal dick.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Undead Unicorn posted:

Also looking for any games that play like Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum. Are there any good ones, or do I have to wait for Dead State/Barkley 2.

It's markedly different from those, but I found NEO Scavenger to be very satisfying at giving me the same sort of 'fighting and managing inventory to survive' dynamic that low-level Fallout 1 & 2 sessions always seem to turn into for me. It's still in development, and I'm not sure how well-regarded Desura is on the forums, but I'd definitely recommend giving the demo a try.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

VC2 is also incredibly easy for the most part, except for a huge spike in the early game. It's not a very good game, I'd still recommend it if you were a big fan of VC, but since it doesn't seem like you were...

VC3 owns though, too bad about the whole never localized thing. At least there's a translation patch under way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

VC2 is also incredibly easy for the most part, except for a huge spike in the early game. It's not a very good game, I'd still recommend it if you were a big fan of VC, but since it doesn't seem like you were...

VC3 owns though, too bad about the whole never localized thing. At least there's a translation patch under way.

VC2 does seem to have a turn limit like VC1 but the maps are smaller so its less an issue. Part of the reason I never got into VC was it seemed like missions turned into a "rush the flag" affair, aside from a few. I like the idea of bunkering down, setting ambushes and such and letting a battle play out so the 20 turn limit always bothered me. That said, I like some of the changes VC2 made to classes and such. I dunno if it'll be a long term diversion but it isn't bad.

And yes, I'm super looking forward to VC3. I hope the translation is out this year because it looks hot.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Daler Mehndi posted:

Sounds like a good enough tactic to me. I only just got the ability to 1) create a Battle Alpha, and 2) have enough essence to give it +2 intelligence so that sounds very feasible.

Turns out my real issue was that I misinterpreted how lava floors work. I thought they were impossible to pass through, and so a huge area of the game had been locked out, and I was trying to work my way through areas that I had no business being in. After reaching the previously unavailable area, I proceeded to wreck my way through enemies due to my guardian being hilariously over-leveled.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I got ten to fifteen hours into VC2 before I quit. This is partly because my PSP being not very good and having a crappy slide pad, but mostly because the game got way too tedious. The early game difficulty spikes were kind of obnoxious and then after that it just got dreadfully boring, with the worst cast possible. Maybe I should just delete it off my PSP forever and wait patiently for VC3 to be translated.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daler Mehndi posted:

Turns out my real issue was that I misinterpreted how lava floors work. I thought they were impossible to pass through, and so a huge area of the game had been locked out, and I was trying to work my way through areas that I had no business being in. After reaching the previously unavailable area, I proceeded to wreck my way through enemies due to my guardian being hilariously over-leveled.
Some of them are, actually. It's hard to tell the difference between a damage area that hurts you, and one that flat out kills you, without poking at it and seeing if you die.

The Geneforge games have a quicksave, I recommend using it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought I'd drop in to tell people that Divinity: Original Sin is in the final 48 hours of its Kickstarter campaign, and they're hoping to reach at least the 800k stretch goal which adds Companions to the game (basically new party members).

Even in a pre-alpha state, it's looking really good and you can see the potential.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Is there anything out there even remotely similar to the old Grandia games? I really enjoyed the battle system from Grandia 2/X/3, and I haven't found anything since that even comes close.

I just picked up Final Fantasy XIII because I saw it for $10 used at a local game store, and it's okay, but not being able to control all of the characters in my party is bumming me out. The beginning is also REALLY slow -- dozens of one-dimensional battles where you have no skills to choose from or character progression.

I think Persona 4/Golden might be somewhat close to what I'm looking for, but my PS2 is packed away in storage and I'm just not interested in buying a Vita.

Right now I just have an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a decent gaming PC. I've already played all of the non-online Final Fantasy games (I think XII was my favorite; yeah, I'm strange), and played through Nier when it came out. Is there anything from the current console generation that might live up to my memories of Grandia?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Can't really think of anything close to Grandia on PS3/360/PC. Maybe check out Ni No Kuni and see if you like it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wouldn't really say Ni no Kuni is anything like that. Neither is Persona 4 from a mechanical standpoint, when you get down to it, but it's still a phenomenal game that you owe it to yourself to play, some day.

Mechanically speaking, the combination of ATB-style real-time/turn based hybrid along with a weird technical style of play that emphasizes canceling or countering enemy moves, and in G3 the addition of air juggling, is really unique among RPGs. The end result of making you carefully plan out your moves and dynamically react to the enemies' action is really satisfying. There are some other RPGs like that. The Shadow Hearts games come to mind. It's pure turn based and there's no move canceling, but there is a pretty cool combo and air juggle system. Rearranging your party's turns in-battle in a way that allows you to get good combos and juggles is pretty cool. Nippon Ichi's SRPGs are pretty much the SRPG versions of that, especially the Disgaea games, with a big emphasis on combos, turn orders, etc. It's like each encounter is a puzzle that you have to work out to make the most out of. If you have a DS, Radiant Historia kinda reminds me of that play style, as well, and is a really well regarded game in these forums.

But on the 360/PS3/PC? Nope, there's not much of anything like that. That's mostly because there's not many JRPGs at all on consoles. The genre mostly moved over to portables aside for a few exceptions. The SH series is PS2 only. Disgaea 3 is on the PS3, but I haven't played that one so I can't say if it holds up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 26, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Disgaea 3 is on Vita too, and Disgaea 4 will probably get a Vita port at some point.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I'll have to dig out my PS2 at some point. Shadow Hearts sounds cool.

I played the original Persona years ago, and I remember liking it despite its flaws. I haven't really followed the series since then. Well, I guess there's a pretty good chance that the Vita will be dirt cheap in a year or so.

They're never going to make another Grandia, are they. :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can pop your PS2 disks into your computer if you got an emulator working, no need to replug in your PS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There was a grandia MMO in 2009, but it was only released in Japan. It also closed down in 2012.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh man. I'm young enough where Grandia 2 was my second JRPG after FF7, or at least it's the second that I remember. I have weird nostalgic memories of being at the last act of that game and making this face: :stare:

I got it new in the store for the Dreamcast so I had to be 10 or something. I had the soundtrack for some reason, too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have any tips on how to keep Battle Rating down in Last Remnant? Fights are certainly getting harder, and with my compulsion to explore every little nook and cranny, the situation's not getting any better :smithicide:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I had the soundtrack for some reason, too.

It was included with the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there anything out there even remotely similar to the old Grandia games? I really enjoyed the battle system from Grandia 2/X/3, and I haven't found anything since that even comes close.

I just picked up Final Fantasy XIII because I saw it for $10 used at a local game store, and it's okay, but not being able to control all of the characters in my party is bumming me out. The beginning is also REALLY slow -- dozens of one-dimensional battles where you have no skills to choose from or character progression.

I think Persona 4/Golden might be somewhat close to what I'm looking for, but my PS2 is packed away in storage and I'm just not interested in buying a Vita.

Right now I just have an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a decent gaming PC. I've already played all of the non-online Final Fantasy games (I think XII was my favorite; yeah, I'm strange), and played through Nier when it came out. Is there anything from the current console generation that might live up to my memories of Grandia?

If you have access to a PSP, the combat in Trails in the Sky is somewhat similar to Grandia and has the same sort of 'young boy setting out on and adventure' feel to the story.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have any tips on how to keep Battle Rating down in Last Remnant? Fights are certainly getting harder, and with my compulsion to explore every little nook and cranny, the situation's not getting any better :smithicide:

If you are playing the PC version, it's not such a big deal. Console...I think you are supposed to rush the game and play again in new game+.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Mechanically speaking, the combination of ATB-style real-time/turn based hybrid along with a weird technical style of play that emphasizes canceling or countering enemy moves, and in G3 the addition of air juggling, is really unique among RPGs. The end result of making you carefully plan out your moves and dynamically react to the enemies' action is really satisfying. There are some other RPGs like that. The Shadow Hearts games come to mind. It's pure turn based and there's no move canceling, but there is a pretty cool combo and air juggle system. Rearranging your party's turns in-battle in a way that allows you to get good combos and juggles is pretty cool. Nippon Ichi's SRPGs are pretty much the SRPG versions of that, especially the Disgaea games, with a big emphasis on combos, turn orders, etc. It's like each encounter is a puzzle that you have to work out to make the most out of. If you have a DS, Radiant Historia kinda reminds me of that play style, as well, and is a really well regarded game in these forums.

When you put it that way, most Tales games are actually not too far off either: the presentation is different and there's a stronger real-time element to it, but the kinds of thing you have to focus on are similar.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wouldn't really say Ni no Kuni is anything like that. Neither is Persona 4 from a mechanical standpoint, when you get down to it, but it's still a phenomenal game that you owe it to yourself to play, some day.

But on the 360/PS3/PC? Nope, there's not much of anything like that. That's mostly because there's not many JRPGs at all on consoles. The genre mostly moved over to portables aside for a few exceptions. The SH series is PS2 only. Disgaea 3 is on the PS3, but I haven't played that one so I can't say if it holds up.

Now I don't pretend to know anything about Grandia, but that sounds kinda like Valkyrie Profile 2. So that might be worth a try.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw Unchained Blades mentioned in here a while back. I wanted another dungeon crawler after playing Etrian Odyssey 4 recently, so I picked it up. Been pretty good so far. I have just reached Chapter 3 though, and I'd heard bad things about it. Is it reasonably balanced towards only having one character, or should I be saving after every battle?

Argh, I always end up missing characters after a chapter change. Phoenix Princess was basically one-shotting entire groups on the second floor of the Ark by the end. End of chapter: "gently caress you, back to level 1". Although I think losing all the followers might be just as annoying. I'm guessing there's going to be another roadblock judgement battle I have to grind for again at some point. Last one I just brute-forced it with like six of those Cyclops dudes from the Ark and a bunch of redshirts.

Going to have a hard time deciding on a final party when they all get together. I mean, I'm assuming that's going to happen because I've seen a few screenshots with parties involving characters from chapter 1 and chapter 2. And because it's just the sort of JRPG thing I'd expect. The story isn't exactly full of amazing twists and turns. Still pretty enjoyable though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I picked up Tales of Graces f in preparation for Xillia come August, and the dualize system coupled with the inn requests is triggering my hoarding instinct hardcore. It's an interesting idea, but 80% of it seems to be another step in acquiring gald by dualizing monster drops into things that sell for a decent amount (not that I sell anything because I need this rotten tooth don't you understand someone might want it later), with a splash of gear crafting and item making. I do enjoy the equipment upgrading portion of it though, it's just painless enough and the shards drop often enough that I don't feel like I need to save them for the inevitable next tier of loot that's always around the corner and can pump my current stuff up to +2 or whatever I happen to get to before I hit the next shop, and get some useful crystals to equip out of it to boot.

I hadn't realized how much I missed the Tales battle system. I hadn't played one since Symphonia, and it scratches an itch.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
So who has anything to say on Generation of Chaos? I played it a bit on the PSP and learned it's bizarre mechanics well enough, but the horrid slowdown made it ultimatly unplayable to me. However there's an android version that eliminates all that slowdown, but it's 13 dollars! I don't actually remember much about the game other than really liking the battle system when I could stand it, I have no idea what later-game play is like or how much kingdom management or whatnot there is. Any thoughts would be great, I'm tempted to get it but it's at a steep price and obtuse as gently caress. Watching 60 widdle soldiers duke it out was pretty cool.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
One thing that I've noticed playing a lot of different RPGs, whether they be western, eastern, whatever, is that any main character/avatar/whatever is criminally inexperienced, whether it be because of amnesia or just being new to their environment.

Obviously, this is for the benefit of the player, as often in your first time playing an RPG you feel the same way as the character in question, adding to your immersion.

What I'm looking for, however, is an RPG where whatever character you play as or use the most often is the opposite; very experienced in whatever world or setting you're in. Think Final Fantasy X if you played as Auron instead of Tidus, or Planescape: Torment where you played as Morte instead of TNO.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's always The Witcher 2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

One thing that I've noticed playing a lot of different RPGs, whether they be western, eastern, whatever, is that any main character/avatar/whatever is criminally inexperienced, whether it be because of amnesia or just being new to their environment.

Obviously, this is for the benefit of the player, as often in your first time playing an RPG you feel the same way as the character in question, adding to your immersion.

What I'm looking for, however, is an RPG where whatever character you play as or use the most often is the opposite; very experienced in whatever world or setting you're in. Think Final Fantasy X if you played as Auron instead of Tidus, or Planescape: Torment where you played as Morte instead of TNO.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't know, the Betrayal at Krondor game had you fighting mostly as either a powerful mage or a veteran of wars with the stats to match. I suppose that fits?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Baldur's Gate 2 starts you at level 7 or so, which is about halfway to maximum level. No amnesia, either.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

CommissarMega posted:

Fight encounters in groups rather than fighting each encounter on the map one by one. I believe that fighting more than encounter group doesn't effect the rate at which your battle rating goes up. Combine this with the fact that fighting multiple encounters also increases the drops you get and the fact that you auto-save after every battle, there's no reason to not fight as many groups as you think you can.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

evilmiera posted:

I don't know, the Betrayal at Krondor game had you fighting mostly as either a powerful mage or a veteran of wars with the stats to match. I suppose that fits?

Yeah I was thinking of that one as well, though arguably there isn't even a main character to that game.

I just started Radiant Historia and that game seems to fit the bill there, being a well respected special agent type right at the start. There are a lot of RPGs out there with similar protagonists, Vagrant Story also comes to mind.

The Witcher series is probably a good answer, but it does have that whole 'selective amnesia' style protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Witcher series is probably a good answer, but it does have that whole 'selective amnesia' style protagonist.

To be fair the thought process that led to that does work pretty well. "Well, we want to keep all of the books timeline. But he died at the end of the book series. Okay, we'll just say he can't remember it how he came back to life and come up with a good idea later."