Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Ah, a film sequel to Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

Was Stephen Dorff really a big name in 2003? Or ever?

poo poo, I thought that was Dane Cook at first. I don't know which is worse.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Stare-Out posted:

There can't be a Cowboy Bebop movie unless John Cusack reverts to his 30 year-old self to play Spike. On that note:

Nicolas Cage wasn't available I guess?

John Cusack doesn't look so much like a man with a receding hairline as he does a man whose face has been actively trying to escape his skull for years.

Dillbag posted:

Just gonna go with "Dane Cook is always worse."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dillbag posted:

I don't know which is worse.

The idea that Cowboy Bebop needs to be live action.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funniest thing about those Cowboy Bebop posters is that they all try their hardest to pretend the show doesn't have a wacky superintelligent dog and a cartoonish teen superhacker. No guys, it's totally a serious show about serious bounty hunters, shut up. If they made a live action version it would be totally badass!!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Stephen Dorff was great in Blade. Dane Cook was great in that one Louie episode but then again no one is bad on that show so he doesn't get a pass for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest thing about those Cowboy Bebop posters is that they all try their hardest to pretend the show doesn't have a wacky superintelligent dog and a cartoonish teen superhacker. No guys, it's totally a serious show about serious bounty hunters, shut up. If they made a live action version it would be totally badass!!

And it's got a completely serious soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3Noeh4kpg

FUCKIN' YOKO KANNO.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ImpAtom posted:

However, if it were to be remade by an American studio, what do you think would be the first thing(s) to go?

Probably the hyper-intelligent dog and androgynous, spaghetti-armed, adolescent hacker.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dillbag posted:

Man I thought it was Jason Sudekis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Randallteal posted:

You're probably right. Any yet...

PILLS!

Baby!

I actually like this one, but it's a bad poster. It is cool fanart though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

Jet or Spike?

I meant Spike. Blah I can't even fantasy cast properly.

John Cusack needs to stop making movies because he just isn't getting good roles anymore. He's also acting his rear end off, in like eight or nine roles. Someone needs to just make a TV series fit for him. Maybe where he's a music producer struggling with relationships. Like Paul Rudd's role in This is 40 only good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Cusack is just stuck in DTV crap now, which seemed to happen all of a sudden. Though to be fair I don't think he's given a good performance in years. Had he quit after the double-bill of Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity then he would've had a pretty awesome film career.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Development hell. Hopefully it remains so until Reeves is too old to star in it.

I'd say he's already too old considering he's almost 50.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

I'd say he's already too old considering he's almost 50.

Yeah but Reeves never ages.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah but Reeves never ages.

Yeah, he's been playing "late-20s/early 30s" for almost twenty years now.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Here's the original GITS poster, for comparison:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/WFnI915.jpg :nws:

I like that movie but I've never seen that poster, I wonder why? It's an absolutely gorgeous poster!

I really like anime movie posters in general, actually! Speaking of, I posted this Perfect Blue poster a while back when that movie came up-- I'd just like to add to the 'posters I own' pile now, because I now own the poster! :shobon: Well, one very similar to this.

More posters I own:

I love the Pulp Fiction vibe of this poster for Chungking and this poster looks even better in person. Same director:

Happy Together is such a depressing loving movie, but I like it. I got this poster for free, which is for the better I guess, because I do not like the poster too too much, but it's alright.

Here's a really lovely Only God Forgives fan poster.

Actual poster, which I love a lot:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Suzuki Method posted:

I like that movie but I've never seen that poster, I wonder why? It's an absolutely gorgeous poster!

They probably would have gotten complaints if they'd tried to use that as the DVD/vhs cover, or hung it up in a theater. The version they used for the home video release is slightly less risque, but also doesn't convey the general theme of the movie very well.

And here are a few from the Appleseed ova, which wins the award for most unecessary swearing in an anime award.

Suzuki Method posted:

I really like anime movie posters in general, actually! Speaking of, I posted this Perfect Blue poster a while back when that movie came up-- I'd just like to add to the 'posters I own' pile now, because I now own the poster! :shobon: Well, one very similar to this.

Now that I've seen Perfect Blue, I can really appreciate how loving subtle the advertising for it was. Take note, minimalist poster makers. Hiding the meaning of your poster is infinitely more effective than making stupid in-jokes.

Suzuki Method posted:

Actual poster, which I love a lot:

And now I really want to see this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feel free to tell me I'm way off base here, because it's quite likely, but while I love a lot about this it just seems so muted and drab compared to the scene in the film. The coloring really doesn't suit the interesting line work and composition. I'm no colorist, but punching up the vibrance and giving the neon and light sources a glow feels like it really helps.

Obviously it's just a quickie mockup, but I think it gets the idea across.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I have it and the rain is done in silver metallic inks and there was also a glow in the dark version which makes it pop a bit more.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Lance Streetman posted:

They probably would have gotten complaints if they'd tried to use that as the DVD/vhs cover, or hung it up in a theater. The version they used for the home video release is slightly less risque, but also doesn't convey the general theme of the movie very well.

Always loved that boxcover. Man, the typeface on that tagline is as 90s as it gets though.

quote:

And here are a few from the Appleseed ova, which wins the award for most unecessary swearing in an anime award.

That's pretty funny, but I still think Violence Jack is the king of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipr-wS5iBv0

mousku
Jun 2, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

somebody on Reddit put together a compilation of "twin" movies and their posters, I thought it was interesting to see how little or much two different takes on similar subject matter could be when it came to advertising.

This was several pages ago but I can't unsee the horrifying lion giraffe scorpion hybrid in The Wild poster.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Suzuki Method posted:

This is great! I really like how they took a gorgeous sex symbol and gave him Klinefelter's Syndrome. It really plays upon Refn's ruminations upon masculinity in a profound way!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

feedmyleg posted:

Feel free to tell me I'm way off base here, because it's quite likely, but while I love a lot about this it just seems so muted and drab compared to the scene in the film. The coloring really doesn't suit the interesting line work and composition. I'm no colorist, but punching up the vibrance and giving the neon and light sources a glow feels like it really helps.

Obviously it's just a quickie mockup, but I think it gets the idea across.

Like the guy below you said, the silver metallic rain definitely adds to the picture, which is absent in the promo pic that I posted. Here's an actual pic, which gives you an idea of what it's like in person.

While it isn't as vibrant as your modified pic, it's better than the promo pic. However, I don't know how well one could achieve the neon glow in screenprints (though as SMG has pointed out, there's vastly more artistic wiggle-room than I thought), which would be an effect that is admittedly more representative of the actual scene, so I'll have to defer to those better informed. It works well enough for me. The "tears in rain" print also has metallic ink rain, and they're pretty nice companion pieces.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

The poster to Innocence is also good:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Alhazred posted:

The dog.

We've decided the dog is human.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The dog.

We've decided the dog is human.

Did you even watch the film? The dog is the one that decides who is human.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Did you even watch the film? The dog is the one that decides who is human.

Then that poster is a massive spoiler.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Alhazred posted:

That dog looks just like my dog, pro-poster.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There's no such thing as a bad poster with a dog.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Why the hell doesn't that tagline end with a question mark...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wendell posted:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Aatrek posted:

Why the hell doesn't that tagline end with a question mark...

Who is the person that decides others' humanity.
What is the protagonist.
I Don't Know is on third.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wendell posted:

Every movie with a dog needs a dog poster.

Eagerly anticipating the Skyfall minimalism poster that's just a two-tone vector of a porcelain bulldog.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Wendell posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

You can go on and on and on and on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soccer Dog and Karate Dog have literally the same tagline.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

aga. posted:

Woah, woah, John Alvin is a million miles away from a budget artist. However they didn't bother to give him decent references. He redid the poster for the 25th Anniversary.

He he he
Her hairdo is shaped like a butt

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

From the timg it looked like the dog was smoking a cigar and I was ready to call you out on badmouthing an awesome poster, but then I clicked on it and it wasn't a cigar and yeah that isn't very good at all. It really is the little things that make all the difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Suzuki Method posted:

This looks like a paperback you'd find in a bargain bin.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Liked the movie, but the more I look at it the more I hate the poster.

More iconic, less balanced, Tom's got a lazy eye. Sun's in front of the mountains. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Ez posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

I don't get it. Those are all great. I mean they have DOGS on them.