Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mirthless posted:

I was so sure this was going to happen, esp. when the intro to 4e was a tactical strategy flash minigame. I just don't understand why we didn't get a D&D game for the entire 4e era... The concepts seem so much easier to move into game form than 3rd ed did.

Because as said upthread, the license was tied up with Activision and Activision didn't really want to do much with it. It wasn't that WotC didn't want to so much as they couldn't. It was a case of lovely licensing arrangements and lovely timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

Because as said upthread, the license was tied up with Activision and Activision didn't really want to do much with it. It wasn't that WotC didn't want to so much as they couldn't. It was a case of lovely licensing arrangements and lovely timing.
It was Atari not Activision.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Payndz posted:

Mearls made a noise about slaying sacred cows with Next, but funnily enough they're all 'sacred' to 4e. "Ability scores are used to derive modifiers but do nothing in themselves" is sacred all the way back to the 1970s
Not quite true. Originally, ability scores were your skills. If you wanted to do something other than hit a dude you rolled a d20 and tried to get under the number in the appropriate stat (so climb a cliff? Roll under your strength or dex or whatever on a d20. A hard cliff? Apply +2 to your roll). That's why your attribute modifer in 3e and onwards is the clunky (stat - 10)/2. They needed a way to keep ability scores in roughly the same range while reducing their end number output.

kingcom posted:

Ability scores
DTAS is an acronym you'll see around here a lot. It stands for "Death To Ability Scores", and the reasoning behind why ability scores are bad (in D&D, not in games in general) is pretty much what you posted there.

Ferrinus posted:

The power framework is honestly perfect for multiclassing because it's a rationing mechanism that applies to all characters regardless of their class. If everyone gets four (inherently level-scaled, self-contained, non-interdependent) powers to deploy per encounter, it's no big deal if all four of your powers are wizard spells or if two of your powers are wizard spells while two others are fighter exploits.
I know you kind of covered this under "self-contained", but broad passive booster feats break this concept over their knee :sigh: That and having to split your equipment budget, if applicable.

OK, time for ignorance: Where does the word gish come from? I know what it means, but is it an acronym or a particularly iconic implementation or what?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

I know you kind of covered this under "self-contained", but broad passive booster feats break this concept over their knee :sigh: That and having to split your equipment budget, if applicable.

And, coincidentally, broad passive booster feats and equipment budgets are among the biggest problems with 4E, and crucial to 5E's design.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mirthless posted:

This reminds me... What ever happened to the virtual tabletop application they were going to release? It was supposed to be out when the game launched, and then it was delayed for a few months, and then a couple of years, and then last I heard they shelved it.

The guy in charge murdered his wife and then killed himself over what was believed to be a pending divorce.

I'm not even joking.

That...that sort of thing tends to derail projects.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus I was expecting 'yea they had to cut that department to keep book production good' or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The guy in charge murdered his wife and then killed himself over what was believed to be a pending divorce.

I'm not even joking.

Holy...wow that's one hell of a thing to write down on a risk management plan.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Splicer posted:

OK, time for ignorance: Where does the word gish come from? I know what it means, but is it an acronym or a particularly iconic implementation or what?

It's an iconic implementation, specifically that of the githyanki back in the 1E Fiend Folio (and carried on in later editions). Githyanki combatants basically trained to become, IIRC, fighters, fighter/thieves or fighter/mages, each of which had a special term in their language. Fighter/mages were called gish, and somehow that expanded to become a general term.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm not even joking.

:stonk:

What the gently caress!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It was a horrible, hosed up situation all around, and I can hardly fault anyone at WotC for letting the project drop after that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The most civil thing about the edition wars was that nobody tried to leverage that tragedy. It wasn't widely reported thru gaming channels, which probably helped.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, it wasn't a nice bit of news.

Sad that the only 4e-ish games have been that poor XBLA hack-and-slash game and the upcoming Neverwinter MMO. Though at least we've got Capcom's D&D arcade games getting ported soon.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, it wasn't a nice bit of news.

Sad that the only 4e-ish games have been that poor XBLA hack-and-slash game and the upcoming Neverwinter MMO. Though at least we've got Capcom's D&D arcade games getting ported soon.
As I pointed out earlier we are also getting all the 4E board games for IOS.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

moths posted:

The most civil thing about the edition wars was that nobody tried to leverage that tragedy.

"Nobody" is a sad overstatement. I saw people do it twice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gently caress. I'm lucky to have missed that then.

Also goddamn the comments section on that article makes me so mad. I realize it's probably children posting since it's xBox, but gently caress. :(

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So in the interest of branching out, I am thinking of trying new whiskeys. My girlfriend picked me up a copy of 'Whisky Advocate', a huge (large dimensions) quarterly magazine detailing new trends, distillers, old classics and the like. It has a list of awards for the year in this issue, with the Artisan Whiskey of the year going to Corsair Small Batch Triple Smoke. The American Whiskey of the Year is Four Roses 2012 LE Small Batch.

What I'm wondering is, does the Next thread have any recommendations for particularly tasty whiskeys between the range of $35-$80 USD. My fallback is always Jameson, a whiskey I thoroughly enjoy, as well as its 12 year cousin. I like a rich, smooth whiskey with subtle undertones. Anything you've tasted that fits this criteria? Scotch and Bourbon is acceptable too, but bourbon has always been a low hanging fruit for me, and I tend to avoid it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lord Frisk posted:

So in the interest of branching out, I am thinking of trying new whiskeys. My girlfriend picked me up a copy of 'Whisky Advocate', a huge (large dimensions) quarterly magazine detailing new trends, distillers, old classics and the like. It has a list of awards for the year in this issue, with the Artisan Whiskey of the year going to Corsair Small Batch Triple Smoke. The American Whiskey of the Year is Four Roses 2012 LE Small Batch.

What I'm wondering is, does the Next thread have any recommendations for particularly tasty whiskeys between the range of $35-$80 USD. My fallback is always Jameson, a whiskey I thoroughly enjoy, as well as its 12 year cousin. I like a rich, smooth whiskey with subtle undertones. Anything you've tasted that fits this criteria? Scotch and Bourbon is acceptable too, but bourbon has always been a low hanging fruit for me, and I tend to avoid it.

All these modern whiskeys are poo poo. I want a new modern whiskey that tastes like old rotgut.

And then I'm not going to buy it anyway.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

It was a horrible, hosed up situation all around, and I can hardly fault anyone at WotC for letting the project drop after that.

I can certainly fault them for making a virtual tabletop a big selling point of their new edition and then hiring a grand total of one guy to make it happen.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've heard good things of the Tullamore Dew 10 Year Reserve but then I flash back to my time in college drinking the stuff and I wonder how trustworthy those reviews are. Supposedly everything that's far too light/weak in regular Dew gets brought out more in this one, and moreso in the 12 year, so I guess that's an improvement.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 26, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mirthless posted:

All these modern whiskeys are poo poo. I want a new modern whiskey that tastes like old rotgut.

Boy, have I got just the drink for you...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fatherdog posted:

I can certainly fault them for making a virtual tabletop a big selling point of their new edition and then hiring a grand total of one guy to make it happen.
I thought they had a bunch of guys and he was just the team lead? If they literally had just one developer that seems a little... odd.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

fatherdog posted:

That's really sort of a side effect of table top RPGs, even D&D, not... really being a big industry. :smith:

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Lord Frisk posted:

So in the interest of branching out, I am thinking of trying new whiskeys

Try anCnoc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8xeWkoOrM

edit: sorry, perhaps this is not a good whisky for you after all. I missed the part about you liking smooth and subtle. Try the Balvenie 12 Doublewood, as Accursed recommends.

ergot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 26, 2013

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

For smooth and subtle, I always fall back to the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. It's a single-malt Speyside.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Accursed posted:

For smooth and subtle, I always fall back to the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. It's a single-malt Speyside.

This sounds like exactly what I'm going for. What's the price range?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Anyone who's happens to be in central jersey, and loves scotch/whiskey, needs to go to Catherine Lombardi's in New Brunswick on Thursdays for their Spirit's Project. They open up a bottle of high end spirits, and sell 1 oz at close to cost (usually $5-10). I have yet to be disappointed, and am sort of spoiled now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

fatherdog posted:

He wasn't developer, he was team lead.

From what I remember VTT went through two iterations. First, they attempted to lease it out to a third party, which ended up failing. Then they brought it in-house, but the team lead did...what I mentioned above. After that it puttered around a bit, but eventually just sank in I think 2012.

moths posted:

The most civil thing about the edition wars was that nobody tried to leverage that tragedy. It wasn't widely reported thru gaming channels, which probably helped.

Hah hah hah hah hah hah hah!

Hah. Hah hah.

HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Nope.

I saw plenty of people use it for edition war fodder.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

This is all really depressing. Let's try a different direction, shall we?

Mirthless posted:

This is a terrible idea and you should feel terrible for even suggesting it. You can just get some old fashioned [corn] whiskey that learned new tricks over the years and tastes like heaven in a mason jar.

The above picture is Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon corn whiskey; it's not moonshine if it was produced legally, and I refuse to hear otherwise. Each bottle is approximately 1/10 fruit, 9/10 whiskey. This makes the flavor wonderful and strong, just like the appropriate fruit if it was freshly picked just a day or so short of being ripe. The apple pie flavor uses cinnamon bark instead of fruit, and goes a long way in making the flavor equally rich and warm. All of the fruit flavors (except apple pie) weigh in at 100 proof, or 50% A.B.V., while apple pie and plain are 80 proof (40% A.B.V.) As an added bonus, they all come in incredibly useful 750 ml jars, perfect for storing food, dice, or whatever miscellaneous crap you can fit in there. I can not recommend this sprit enough: if you have an extra twenty dollars in your liquor budget, buy some.

note: I am not responsible for whatever dumb poo poo you get yourself into after consuming Midnight Moon.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I remember VTT went through two iterations. First, they attempted to lease it out to a third party, which ended up failing. Then they brought it in-house, but the team lead did...what I mentioned above. After that it puttered around a bit, but eventually just sank in I think 2012.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but unless something was really hosed up about the way the development worked, then the project should have been finished. From a purely business perspective, the guy dieing is no different from him getting seriously sick or even just quitting abruptly, which is something that should be planned for.

I've had my team leader die mid-project. It was a really really lovely experience, because while we weren't exactly friends, we'd get beer and pizzas and play Quake after work and stuff. He didn't kill himself or anything, he slipped over at home, hit his head, and never woke up. It was a stupid random accident instead of a murder/suicide, but he was still dead. The project got finished, because one of the project manager's mantras was "what if you get hit by a bus, could people pick up your work".

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon corn whiskey

I tried some tonight, independently of this post. The apple pie flavor was Not Very Good and just kind of tasted like an off-market Goldschlager. You know, like how the discount grocery store might have "Apple Snaps" or "Krunchy Kaptain" or "Corm Flakes" instead of the real cereal, except applied to liquor.

It was not as terrible as the Shine on Georgia Moon, which was so bad it caused people across the room to recoil from the scent and which tasted kind of... well, it was hard to tell what it tasted like because I was usually too distracted by the oily film it left on my tongue. Good times.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but unless something was really hosed up about the way the development worked, then the project should have been finished. From a purely business perspective, the guy dieing is no different from him getting seriously sick or even just quitting abruptly, which is something that should be planned for.

I've had my team leader die mid-project. It was a really really lovely experience, because while we weren't exactly friends, we'd get beer and pizzas and play Quake after work and stuff. He didn't kill himself or anything, he slipped over at home, hit his head, and never woke up. It was a stupid random accident instead of a murder/suicide, but he was still dead. The project got finished, because one of the project manager's mantras was "what if you get hit by a bus, could people pick up your work".

Things like this are what separate well run companies with a lot of built in redundancy that make their deadlines and stay profitable from those who openly demonstrate that they don't know their target audience very well and sacrifice quality in the interests of some theoretical and unrealistic profit model...

Basically, no one person should be so essential and responsible for the project that it cannot be done without them. Auteur theory is for films and novels, not commercial products.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah seriously, I am an IT guy. My department regularly has conversations regarding "What if X dies?" If your project goes tits up because one person vanishes, you have done a lovely job of planning.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
D&D has always gotten the like Z team from WotC to do a lot of their stuff, and WotC has always had a bad record with electronic stuff for D&D to boot.

It's important to remember that D&D is probably the least valuable of anything or everything that WotC does.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

D&D has always gotten the like Z team from WotC to do a lot of their stuff, and WotC has always had a bad record with electronic stuff for D&D to boot.

It's important to remember that D&D is probably the least valuable of anything or everything that WotC does.
Yeah, a lot of people really, really... overestimate just how much sales and money is involved in the RPG industry, by several orders of magnitude. I'm reasonably certain that the only companies that have ever done five-figure sales for books were TSR during D&D's heyday and White Wolf during theirs. There's a reason most RPG companies are basically hobby projects focused around freelancers, for better or worse.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Father Wendigo posted:

This is all really depressing. Let's try a different direction, shall we?

This is a terrible idea and you should feel terrible for even suggesting it. You can just get some old fashioned [corn] whiskey that learned new tricks over the years and tastes like heaven in a mason jar.

((I was making a topical joke about Next))

e: (it occurs to me you probably were too)

fatherdog posted:

Yeah seriously, I am an IT guy. My department regularly has conversations regarding "What if X dies?" If your project goes tits up because one person vanishes, you have done a lovely job of planning.

I was briefly a project manager and part of why I got fired was that when a family emergency happened one of my projects blew up and my backup had no loving clue what I was doing because I was so disorganized. Seriously, if this guy dying was enough to grind this project to a halt, I have to seriously question why he was in charge of what was what I consider to be a very important project in the first place. The adventure tools were integral to the game. When they introduced the game, they pitched the adventure tools suite as 25% of the 4th edition experience. You were supposed to be able to do an all digital campaign without using the physical products at all. No miniatures, no books, just a D&D insider subscription and the virtual gametable.

Insider is worth the money, and it's definitely the most comprehensive digital offering for a tabletop RPG ever, but it's half of what it was supposed to be, and while gamers have found ways to make all digital games work, it's been an adventure of square pegs in round holes. I don't know how it is now, but at least up until 2010 all of the virtual tabletop software out there was horribly buggy and awful to use. I found myself longing for the days of WebRPG. I can't count the number of times I tried to get people into gametable to get through a scenario only to have somebody completely unable to connect for no apparent reason or have the client crash mid-way through a fight and lose my map and all my counters. Gametable is basically why all of my attempts to run the game online ended abortive.

I can't help but feel that if the virtual tabletop had been released, and it had been actually good, we wouldn't be having this conversation about Next and we'd still be getting regular 4th ed supplements.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Having said all that, considering how trivially easy it is to pirate D&D, I can't blame Wizards of the Coast for focusing most of their business on card games. I didn't pay for a single 3rd edition book. But god damnit, I bought 4th ed. I wanted it to succeed. The game table never materializing killed a lot of my will to continue supporting the system.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 27, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

Things like this are what separate well run companies with a lot of built in redundancy that make their deadlines and stay profitable from those who openly demonstrate that they don't know their target audience very well and sacrifice quality in the interests of some theoretical and unrealistic profit model...

Basically, no one person should be so essential and responsible for the project that it cannot be done without them. Auteur theory is for films and novels, not commercial products.

"One guy can't be indispensable" is just such basic stuff that it's hard to believe anyone can gently caress it up.

I mean, we were the E or F team for a badly run company, and we still managed to get that right.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Anyone know of a video game or software designer moving into RPGs? This is becoming A Thing with the board game revolution and I feel like another industry's expertise could really make something different.

I don't think WotC themselves has ever made a piece of software that doesn't disappoint within 10 seconds of launch, so obviously things don't go both ways.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There is literally no money in tabletop RPGs, so... not really, no. If anything, a lot of the best talent in the industry has moved on over time to movies, novels, video games, and other industries that can actually pay a living wage.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm honestly wondering why WotC doesn't just separate the 4th edition and 3rd edition product lines, and start releasing new content for both instead of releasing a new D&D edition. (one that is certainly going to fracture the playerbase, again) They abandoned 3rd ed because they wanted people to move over to 4th, but it just created a vacuum where the displaced players who didn't want to change editions just went over to pathfinder instead. With the OGL letting others just pick up the product, the player split was inevitable. Instead of competing with another company, they could have just been competing with themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Even better, they could market 4E as some kind of intro D&D or lesser product. Maybe even strip some bloat from the system. The Grogs get to keep their smug sense of gaming superiority, and we get more content and more players!

• Locked thread