Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

That's exactly the one, thanks so much. Are there any single player mods worth playing quake 1 with that work with/add to the original game rather than change it heaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hrm.

If you want to just jazz up the audiovisuals then Quake HD ( http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/single-player/7306-quake-hd-new-spawns.html ) is a possibility.

As for mods that actually change the gameplay, Quoth ( http://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/kell.quaddicted.com/ ) or Drake can be used well in maps that are specifically built to use their new stuff... I think they don't do much for normal vanilla maps. (Drake is actually usually bundled with the map.)

Zerstörer ( https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer.html + http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer11.html ) is an oldie but goodie. Also see http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/single-player/7643-zerstoerer-crashes-true-love-waits-map.html if you try to play it using DarkPlaces.

And there's Painkeep, Travail, Soul of Evil...

I guess most of these (except for Quake HD) tend to be used with their own specially-designed maps, so if you're looking for something to change the original campaign then I dunno. Of course there's a ton of the little wacky drop-in mods to change weapons and stuff ( http://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1/mods/ ) -- I remember the AirFist for example being goofy fun, but it's been years and years since I really poked around in those things.

The dudes at the quakeone.com forums would have opinions.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The Ballistic Weapons mod is loving awesome. Really configurable, and the weapons themselves are easily developer quality in terms of animations and sound, if not better in a lot of cases. I'm pumped to discover some more gameplay altering mods.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

misterdoo01 posted:

The Ballistic Weapons mod is loving awesome. Really configurable, and the weapons themselves are easily developer quality in terms of animations and sound, if not better in a lot of cases. I'm pumped to discover some more gameplay altering mods.

Yeah, I played like an hour of BW-DM last night with bots, it's pretty great. It seems to run pretty bad at times, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I played like an hour of BW-DM last night with bots, it's pretty great. It seems to run pretty bad at times, though.

It definitely puts a greater demand on the game than most UT2k4 mods. If you're noticing significant performance drops, you might want to play with the settings (like the gib multiplier and duration settings) and try to put a leash on the mod. I noticed that some of the higher RPM weapons can hit performance pretty hard--for example, all of the casings, decals, and gibs created by one or two miniguns running at 2400 RPM can get a little...excessive, especially if those casings and decals are scheduled to stick around 4 or 5 times longer than normal.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I liked how they'd trash talk you in the chat, even if it was repetitive and silly.
If I remember right they even responded to you if you chatted back with their name, even if it was really rudimentary.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It definitely puts a greater demand on the game than most UT2k4 mods. If you're noticing significant performance drops, you might want to play with the settings (like the gib multiplier and duration settings) and try to put a leash on the mod. I noticed that some of the higher RPM weapons can hit performance pretty hard--for example, all of the casings, decals, and gibs created by one or two miniguns running at 2400 RPM can get a little...excessive, especially if those casings and decals are scheduled to stick around 4 or 5 times longer than normal.

Yeah, miniguns and the HMG really made it drop. I'll be sure to change those settings, then. The only other problem I had was that the reload animations take a while, which throws the timing on the multikills off, but that's pretty minor honestly.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, miniguns and the HMG really made it drop. I'll be sure to change those settings, then. The only other problem I had was that the reload animations take a while, which throws the timing on the multikills off, but that's pretty minor honestly.

Yeah I've found that the reloading requires me to play a bit differently timing wise, but I seem to recall there being an option to disable reloading.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No it isn't? Ballistic Weapons V2.5 Complete is a 256.23 MB file. I'm looking at the D/L page for it right now: here.

Thank you. I promise you that I couldn't find it, just a fix for it. :downs:

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Is Spear of Destiny worth playing? I love Wolf3D but I've heard mixed reactions and I want to move onto RtCW at this point.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Spear of Destiny has almost universal acclaim from everyone I've asked. Personally, though...I haven't really been able to really "get into" any of the Wolf 3D games, myself. The lack of an automap just kills it for me. :shrug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SparkTR posted:

Is Spear of Destiny worth playing? I love Wolf3D but I've heard mixed reactions and I want to move onto RtCW at this point.

Spear of Destiny is great if you love Wolf3D. The only thing that's different are the bosses and a nifty new ammo box that gives you around 25 or so rounds when you pick it up. Otherwise, it's a Wolfenstein 3D mappack with a cool last two levels.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Spear of Destiny also comes with two "mission packs" made by FormGen which feature new levels with entirely reskinned everything. Like mutants are replaced with giant bats and stuff. It's just a bit cheap that it's the same set of bosses in both mission packs.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I forget who asked me (I think it was someone on steam) but yes, John Mullins actually exists. He is appearantly very scary in real life.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I forget who asked me (I think it was someone on steam) but yes, John Mullins actually exists. He is appearantly very scary in real life.

Did he wield a microwave gun :ohdear:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChickenHeart posted:

Did he wield a microwave gun :ohdear:

Well, according to the Internets, John Mullins is a footballer/engineer/economist/molecular physiologist/computer scientist who owns and operates an Irish Pub & Restaurant in the Netherlands so it shouldn't be a surprise that he is also a Vietnam veteran. He probably invented the microwave gun in between two PhDs.

(Shut up, it's funnier if you imagine they are all the same person.)

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I'm trying to play Rune Classic but the frame rate is really lovely. It seems to be a problem with all unreal engine games. Is there a way to fix this? I can't find anything.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Check the video options for what you're using to render. I've found a lot of old Unreal games don't play nice with DX and will default to software rendering, switching to OpenGL tends to fix a lot of issues.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

Check the video options for what you're using to render. I've found a lot of old Unreal games don't play nice with DX and will default to software rendering, switching to OpenGL tends to fix a lot of issues.

I can only choose between d3d and software. Software is even worse fps wise. And it looks interesting.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Eulisker posted:

I can only choose between d3d and software. Software is even worse fps wise. And it looks interesting.

If Rune is anything like Unreal or Deus Ex, there should be a \System\ directory with a Rune.ini in it that lets you set and configure render devices. And you can use UTGLR for Rune: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

You'll want to change the RenderDevice to OpenGL.OpenGLDrive or whatever in your .ini and then you should be good to go after setting up parameters for it.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Nope doesn't seem to help. The new version sold on steam seems to be incompatible to all that. It is not unplayable though. So if nothing works I will stick with d3d.

Does rune get better? Because gently caress those plant thingies that jerk you around all the time.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Eulisker posted:

I'm trying to play Rune Classic but the frame rate is really lovely. It seems to be a problem with all unreal engine games. Is there a way to fix this? I can't find anything.

Is it just consistently low performance or are there also crazy speedups/slowdowns and similar? If it's the latter then it's normally to do with the original Unreal engine having issues when the framerate gets too high.

If it's like Unreal then try opening the console (which should be Tab if it's the same as Unreal) and putting in "preferences" and then enter; that should open a menu with a bunch of advanced options. Open "rendering" and then the menu for whatever renderer you're using and there should be an option called "frameratelimit" or similar that should be set to about 200 maximum (although around 100 would probably be safest). If that's not there then I don't know, but there's probably another console command to limit framerate.

Also hi Waffnuffly :) .

Mman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Eulisker posted:

Nope doesn't seem to help. The new version sold on steam seems to be incompatible to all that. It is not unplayable though. So if nothing works I will stick with d3d.

Does rune get better? Because gently caress those plant thingies that jerk you around all the time.

Rune gets much better after the lovely starting part. I've finished the game like three times and I still hate the first third of the game but the mid/latter part makes up for it. If you keep having issues with the rendering, try using Kentie's: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm or the enhanced OpenGL (also DX9) renderer: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/.

If you choose the enhanced OpenGL/DX9 makes sure you pick this one:

quote:

For Rune (works with Rune version 1.07 or compatible):
OpenGL renderer version 1.4 for Rune: runeglr14.zip (111 KB).
Direct3D9 renderer version 1.3 for Rune: runed3d9r13.zip (109 KB).

tips
Feb 16, 2011

misterdoo01 posted:

One of my favorites is TAM (Quake 3 style Rocket Arena), which also comes with Freon (freeze tag, once you're out you're frozen and can get thawed by a team mate's shield gun secondary).

Not sure if bots work well with freeze tag but both still get played online, which is pretty good for a 9 year old game.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

PUKED posted:

One of my favorites is TAM (Quake 3 style Rocket Arena), which also comes with Freon (freeze tag, once you're out you're frozen and can get thawed by a team mate's shield gun secondary).

Not sure if bots work well with freeze tag but both still get played online, which is pretty good for a 9 year old game.

I'll be sure to try that out!

EDIT: And so I did. I was actually reading about the original Clan Arena game type on Wikipedia of all places earlier today while reading the entries for famous Quake mods and thought it sounded pretty fun. It really is quite fun too. I normally hate game modes where you only get one life, but I like the way this mode handles it.

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 26, 2013

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Just finished Death Wish, what are some other good map packs for Blood?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Well, according to the Internets, John Mullins is a footballer/engineer/economist/molecular physiologist/computer scientist who owns and operates an Irish Pub & Restaurant in the Netherlands so it shouldn't be a surprise that he is also a Vietnam veteran. He probably invented the microwave gun in between two PhDs.

(Shut up, it's funnier if you imagine they are all the same person.)

I know that bar! Good place for birthdays, though their choice of music is bizarre. You walk early, and you get the musical equivalent of last call. Around the time everybody's slumped on their chairs and feeling melancholic, the party anthems start. Great chips, though.

Anyway, as not to derail this thread: Cold as Hell is fan-loving-tastic. It comes across as a combination between Half-Life, Doom and System Shock, and it actually manages to make enemies scary for a while. But what's best is that the (great, new) weapons and lower playing speed create a whole new rythme. You're still dodging bullets and fighting massive groups of enemies, but you're far more vulnerable and it becomes a game of tactical manoeuvring rather then reflexes. Even the story's not bad. And I haven't even begun about the maps, which are realistic, believable facilities. The best way to describe it is what Doom would have been had they followed Tom Hall's design rather then Romero's.

But gently caress some of the later maps, though, especially the vehicle sections. WAY to many enemies at the same time, in cramped spaces where dodging them is almost impossible. Still, it's worth it just to see the whole thing through. Shame there don't seem to be any plans for a sequel, as the ending took me by surprise. You really should be playing this.

Still not convinced? Well, this part is EXTREMELY spoiler-y about the first map, so I don't recommend reading it if you want to play it. Just ignore this, download the WAD and see for yourself. Trust me.
Still here? Okay...all you need to know is that the opening is great. You find yourself in an abandoned base, and poo poo hits the fan. Imps and Zombies are crawling out of the woodwork, and you only have a pistol and some shotgun shells. You try to fight them of. You'll die. You try again. You die. And that's when it hits you: the only way to live is to run, franticly fleeing the monsters in an attempt to get to safety, only blasting the monsters in your way while trying to find shelter from an angry horde. By the time you can even start thinking about fighting back, Cold as Hell has done the impossible: for the shortest time, it actually made you afraid of Imps.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Cold As Hell's spoilered bit.

:stare: loving sold.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Cold as Hell has remained to this day my favorite single player Doom modification. I've played it a bunch of times and my enjoyment of it hasn't dropped in the least.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bloodmobile posted:

Just finished Death Wish, what are some other good map packs for Blood?

French Meat is pretty good. Rage Against the Machine was pretty good. Scourge of Humanity is... occasionally iffy, with stupid enemy placement (map loads, a guy is shooting you!), some weak maps, and some pretty terrible bugs (one of the last maps I hit a bug with switches that kept me from finishing the game with like, one or two levels left), but there are some solid maps in there. Those are the ones I've played.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vehicle Sections in a doom engine (not build engine) game?!

That spoiler'd bit?

loving Sold. Playing this after I get off work. :allears:

ZDoom Wiki posted:

The wad features custom weapons, a reloading system, a bleeding system (where the player is losing his health constantly when it drops below a certain amount), one large hub of about 15 maps, connected together, with the ability to travel between them; new enemies, an involving story with a certain plot twist, notes to read and information to learn before you can move on with your mission. One could think of it as either Silent Hill or Resident Evil with Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. In ZDoom of course.

Why haven't I played this before? Sounds :krad:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 26, 2013

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
And the Duke Nukem Forever mod is (yet again) not released. I suppose it wouldn't be Duke Nukem if it wasn't delayed. How about we get Gearbox to finish it up? D:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CowboyAndy posted:

How about we get Gearbox to finish it up? D:

Dude that's not even funny.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

Dude that's not even funny.

Couldn't agree more. :frogout:

Seriously now, with Duke, i must agree with a poster a few pages back. Duke3d is just so absent in my headspace. The only significant thing i remember is being rather freaked out by the birthing cinematic at the start of the 4th chapter as a teen.

Blood? Blood i remember vividly. The train, the fairground level, the morge. The weapons, the bosses the quotes... :allears: Doom i remember clearly for its co-op. I even remember Quake better and, i'd say Duke3d was the better game of the two! But its just gone unless i really dig deep into memory. Its surprises me, considering how much i played it, how utterly forgettable it is.

:smith:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Blood is just plain unforgettable and has some of the best FPS level design of its era, and beats the hell out of a lot of modern games too. drat, now I gotta replay it... again!

This thread's already gotten me hooked on Descent again; I don't have time for this! :argh: But I'll make time. Can't say no to that Napalm Cannon. Hell, Blood is the reason I decided to implement kickable gibs in my own mod, and that turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. Punting zombie heads around is just so drat hilarious.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 27, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I enjoyed Blood back in the days but I'm saying it again: I can't really play it now as I'm spoiled by source ports and playing it with dosbox kills my desire of playing it more often. We had the chance on getting a source port and they hosed it damnit :smith:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I enjoyed Blood back in the days but I'm saying it again: I can't really play it now as I'm spoiled by source ports and playing it with dosbox kills my desire of playing it more often. We had the chance on getting a source port and they hosed it damnit :smith:

What's wrong with vanilla? The graphics are perfect the way they are, any modern polish would just ruin the grittiness. The mouse look is tolerable with bmouse and thanks to the autoaim it's not like you need to aim up or down anyways.

vvv http://swisscm.duke4.net/ Makes mouselook much better than it is by default after some setting tweaking. Still not perfect but perfectly serviceable.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 27, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It doesn't matter what I do, mouse aiming feels clunky and I replayed Blood on four different computers since I got it from GOG. I don't know if its because the mouse (used a Razer diamondback, MS Sidewinder X8 and now Gigabyte Aivia Krypton) or is just because I can play other old fps with 1:1 modern mouse aiming. I never used bmouse that may be the issue.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Not to mention playing with anything over... I think six versus six WILL crash the game, even if you have the blood decals and shells turned off. But drat if massive bot fights aren't fun.

I can't wait until the Spectre and LK05 get released...

Speaking of Unreal: I'm at this part in Na Pali where you go down this godawful long outdoor hallway after the Nali golden statue, and I can't find a way into the buildings. Is there a switch somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Not to mention playing with anything over... I think six versus six WILL crash the game, even if you have the blood decals and shells turned off. But drat if massive bot fights aren't fun.

I was playing with fifteen bots and it was fine. Once I turned the gibs/brass off/down the frame rate was much better.