Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

If you're ever passing through Nebraska, you can see both up close and personal at the Strategic Air & Space Museum in Omaha.
http://www.sasmuseum.com/

(shared this a while ago, but here it is again. I had a $40 camera, so it's not the greatest album. http://imgur.com/a/xwY5N)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

XL is best F16

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

I was actually going to say that yeah, I'm a sucker for big deltas. But I love the look of the F15, F14, F104 and even the Do335 and Me262, but maybe for different reasons.

Honorable mention: Yak-28 Firebar, Tu-22 Blinder.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
NOOSE ICE blackhawk.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
So this is somewhat relevant

quote:

(CNN) -- An aircraft part apparently from one of the airliners that hit the World Trade Center towers on September 11, 2001, has been found in Lower Manhattan, New York police said Friday.

Part of a landing gear was discovered wedged between two buildings near ground zero and "includes a clearly visible Boeing identification number," police said in a news release. Police responded after surveyors working in the area called 911 to report they'd found "apparently damaged machinery," the release said.

"The NYPD is securing the location as it would a crime scene," police added.

Link

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VikingSkull posted:

Link

A few million truthers just came.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SybilVimes posted:

XL is best F16

This is a Kerbal Space Program spaceplane. Two different wings? Different colors? Jam an avionics pack on it to make it fly somewhat at all? Try to at least get the COM and COT lined up? :jeb:

For actual content, have a P-2V. Turbo-compounding is sweet.

A bit later, I had to hold short of a taxiway. Never gotten that instruction before... what kind of idiot can't see me on the taxiway here....

Oh.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
drat I didn't realize how big Reapers (if that is what that is) are.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, Reapers are light plane sized, way bigger than most people expect them to be.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, Reapers are light plane sized, way bigger than most people expect them to be.

They are certainly larger in every dimension than the C-172 I was in.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wicaeed posted:

It's the spindly little model airplane gear they've got.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

AzureSkys posted:

If you're ever passing through Nebraska, you can see both up close and personal at the Strategic Air & Space Museum in Omaha.
http://www.sasmuseum.com/

(shared this a while ago, but here it is again. I had a $40 camera, so it's not the greatest album. http://imgur.com/a/xwY5N)

That's a really cool museum...I have some quibbles with the direction/focus they have taken it in since the move out to the new facility at Ashland, but the collection is awesome.

Dimension and performance wise (as always, excepting wingspan and duration), Preds are roughly comparable to a C-172, Reapers are roughly comparable to a Super Tucano.

Out of curiosity babyeatingpsychopath, where were you at that you were in a C-172 and there was a Reaper taxiing?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Keep on ignoring the glaring hole in your posts.

EDIT:

Apparently the B-58 was used to test the XB-70's J93 engine.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 27, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Link

Inboard flap rotary actuator, according to experts*

*not 'TV experts'

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 27, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The picture down a few paragraphs still has the GPS coordinates embedded in the metadata :P

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

SyHopeful posted:

Keep on ignoring the glaring hole in your posts.

EDIT:

Apparently the B-58 was used to test the XB-70's J93 engine.

He is from Alberta so he still celebrates the cancellation as a victory for western Canada. ;)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

helno posted:

He is from Alberta so he still celebrates the cancellation as a victory for western Canada. ;)

They had a replica at the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwan (big restored car/tractor/planes museum). I didn't realize how huge it was before then.

Anyways, cancelling the Arrow was just another example of Federal mis-management of Canada's brain trust. We'd be better off alone. :colbert:

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Wicaeed posted:

Reapers always seem bigger than you think, but predators end up a bit smaller in my experience.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Jonny Nox posted:

They had a replica at the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwan (big restored car/tractor/planes museum). I didn't realize how huge it was before then.

Anyways, cancelling the Arrow was just another example of Federal mis-management of Canada's brain trust. We'd be better off alone. :colbert:

I saw the fullscale mockup at the Canadian air and space museum as well as the front end of RL206 at the national air museum. It is in fact a huge airplane.

Hopefully with the sequestration in the states cutting all of the american military airshow flying the snowbirds will do well enough to get the support of the government.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

helno posted:

Yes. This is all true.

Actually, I love the Arrow but it's pretty much a cliche at this point for a :canada: to post about it. That and it goes without saying ;)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

Actually, I love the Arrow but it's pretty much a cliche at this point for a :canada: to post about it.

Pretty much the only reason I don't bring it up, as every fighter discussion that has ever happened on the Internet has a Canadian post "Arrow was the best ever! durr".

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

slidebite posted:

Yes. This is all true.

Actually, I love the Arrow but it's pretty much a cliche at this point for a :canada: to post about it. That and it goes without saying ;)

In an alternate universe, there's an Ace Combat with the Arrow and the XF-108 and nerds arguing over which was the better interceptor.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SyHopeful posted:

In an alternate universe, there's an Ace Combat with the Arrow and the XF-108 and nerds arguing over which was the better interceptor.

And they'd both be wrong because the answer is clearly the Republic XF-103. :haw:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SyHopeful posted:

You seem to have mistyped SR-177 there. :colbert:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

By the way:

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!!

http://www.euronews.com/2013/04/27/boeing-787-dreamliner-takes-maiden-commercial-flight/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

More like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gryBgJpjtuM

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 27, 2013

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Transporting the A-12 to Area 51

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Heh, I think I've read that story twice before, once in Ben Rich's book, and once in a SR-71 book that one of my dads friends had on his coffee table. Neither one had those pictures. Wow.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Just noticed Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission is on sale on amazon for the Kindle for only $2.99 this month. The reviews looks pretty cool, and I know how everyone here pops a woody over the Blackbird, so I thought it was worth a mention.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ordered it, then read the description.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Still checking yard sales & flea markets for a copy of Sled Driver from an unsuspecting seller.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there any reason Sled Driver isn't available as an Ebook?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fucknag posted:

Is there any reason Sled Driver isn't available as an Ebook?

poo poo, why isn't it available as a book book?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Pictures?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Linedance posted:

Inboard flap rotary actuator, according to experts*

*not 'TV experts'

So far everybody says it's a landing gear, even confirmed to come from a 767. Hmm?
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/solving-riddle-sept-11-jet-landing-gear-article-1.1329416

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

I think I prefer the splinter camo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Slo-Tek posted:

I think I prefer the splinter camo.

Looks like a Lotus F1 car.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
If we're talking Delta winged fighters, we need to mention the Sea Dart (click for big on the second one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOrj2cSDO-M

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

pkells posted:

Just noticed Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission is on sale on amazon for the Kindle for only $2.99 this month. The reviews looks pretty cool, and I know how everyone here pops a woody over the Blackbird, so I thought it was worth a mention.

The author's a pretty cool dude. He's in my flying club and taught the airplane performance (lol) lesson. Probably a bit of a jump from the blackbird to a C150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CharlesM posted:

So far everybody says it's a landing gear, even confirmed to come from a 767. Hmm?
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/solving-riddle-sept-11-jet-landing-gear-article-1.1329416

I don't recognise it, but I'm avionics. A couple of coworkers who are mechanician types said "that's not a loving landing gear, what the gently caress part of a landing gear looks like that? That's a loving inboard flap actuator. People see a loving big lump of metal and immediately think landing gear" when they looked at the picture. There may have been more cursing, I'm paraphrasing.

Me, personally, I think it's part of a window cleaning rig.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 28, 2013