Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

M42 posted:

Today, I made a stop at a hardware store to get some kerosene for the chain...I put the sidestand down, slowly leaned the bike over, and it kept leaning. Until it fell and mashed up my brand new light. :ssj: It still works properly, it's just cracked.

Sometimes I wonder how I'm even able to breathe without choking on my own tongue.

That's nothing. I once broke off my back right turn signal by kicking it while dismounting. Now that's some pro-level fuckupery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I broke the end off my clutch lever by kick starting it while it was in gear, causing the bike to scoot forwards and fall over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I rode to Wisconsin and back with the timing set about 20 degrees too retarded. Wondered why I had to spend 15 minutes kickstarting it everyday.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

M42 posted:

Yesterday I grabbed a new front turn signal from a dude parting out his ninja, since mine wasn't working properly cause of that second day drop. I got connectors, hooked that poo poo up, and it was working perfectly. Yes!!!

Today, I made a stop at a hardware store to get some kerosene for the chain...I put the sidestand down, slowly leaned the bike over, and it kept leaning. Until it fell and mashed up my brand new light. :ssj: It still works properly, it's just cracked.

Sometimes I wonder how I'm even able to breathe without choking on my own tongue.
Oh gently caress. :(

Could have been worse. I remember when I bought my Corbin smuggler and I was literally taking it out of its box on my workbench, admiring how well they did the paint.... when I pulled it out straight into a spare lawnmower blade I had stored on a shelf above it. A nice 2" long deep gash was the result.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I almost dropped my bike in the driveway yesterday. Putting on my helmet, warming up the bike, when for some unknown reason i decided the rear brake was on the left and I slammed it into first. No idea how I didn't drop it as my hands were on my helmet straps and it jumped forward like I had been rear-ended by a Escalade.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Checked for intake leaks. No intake leak. Still pings when it gets warm but not warm enough to switch the fan on (220 C). With that I believe I've tried everything shy of throwing money at wideband bungs and dyno time. Next stop: bullshit shadetree old man voodoo. Going to play with the static timing, try to retard it until the ping stops. May end up doing the seafoam straight into the throttle body thing if that doesn't work, in hopes I dissolve some built-up carbon; it's on the high-mile end of the Harley scale after all.

A Hammer 1250 jug/piston/gasket kit is starting to look pretty attractive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is going to sound crazy, but have you tried resetting the TPS?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Adjust the valves pushrods.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

This is going to sound crazy, but have you tried resetting the TPS?

That is why I didn't post this on Badweb, haha. (and yes)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

That is why I didn't post this on Badweb, haha. (and yes)

Have you verified that your O2 sensor and learning region are enabled, i.e. has your AFV changed from 100? Or do you think the issue is really just the couple of cells and won't be picked up by learn mode?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah the AFV is at 105. I set it to 100 when I re flashed the ecm, so it appears to do its thing.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Someone loan me a bike I'll go find a silly sign and move us along...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Someone loan me a bike I'll go find a silly sign and move us along...

Wrong thread?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Wrong thread?

Maybe.... :doh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I used this on it:

Australian marketing and packaging design :allears:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Might have licked that ping! Turned the timing back toward retard one large mark. Then because I am an idiot, I changed the maps based on a data logging run I did last night before shaking it down. Had to compensate for the timing change by increasing the idle.

Went out and tried to make it ping; got a couple 2nd gear power wheelies when I hit it at 2500 but no ping. I even got it hot: 229 C, fan screaming.

Now, I am not sure if the changes I made to the maps or the timing retard is responsible. I suspect timing because it pinged when it was pig rich before I started trying to solve it.

The map changes eliminated the popping on decel and up shifts. So things look optimistic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I rode my WR250, and didn't crash it tonight. And went 16 miles. Holy crap does it make a lot of smoke.

Last time I fell over twice. :-)

It's going to take a while to get used to it's power delivery.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today I finished building my track bike. Season opener on Monday. Woo!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

Today I finished building my track bike. Season opener on Monday. Woo!

Pics, nao.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Did the oil, filters and a general checkup and took it for the first ride of the year :feelsgood:

Feels like it runs better and idles smoother with a stock filter in there instead of a "sport performance" one, but it's probably just my imagination.

I was going to replace the old dual-electrode plugs with new iridium ones, but the plugs looked almost brand new, they can probably go a couple more years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 27, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My shift linkage almost fell off the bike today, other bolt than last time though, so I loctite'd that back on and checked a bunch of other bolts. Oil cooler scoop and two of the seat rail bolts weren't snug, especially the seat rail part bothers me.

Then I tightened the stearing head a little, bike's only got 10000 miles but when braking I could feel it shift a little. Just kept the front wheel on the ground and snugged the steering head up, we'll see if it's worked. I know you're supposed to do it with the front wheel off the ground, but when I replaced the bearings on my old bike, after tightening them a couple of times with the wheel off the ground, doing it once with the wheel on the ground (and then checking for smooth movement with it up) did the trick of finally settling everything.

Finally, I added a Ulysses headlight grate and hand guards, got both second hand as the're way over priced new. At the moment I like the look but I might take them off in the future to make everything a bit less busy looking.

Finally, we took a ride to a nearby HD dealer and they had a Model KH there, extremely rare over here and it was the first time in ~40 years my dad had seen one. The KH engine is what my Buell's mill is derived from, really the only upgrade since then (1956) was a switch to overhead valves.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

clutchpuck posted:

Might have licked that ping! Turned the timing back toward retard one large mark. Then because I am an idiot, I changed the maps based on a data logging run I did last night before shaking it down. Had to compensate for the timing change by increasing the idle.

Went out and tried to make it ping; got a couple 2nd gear power wheelies when I hit it at 2500 but no ping. I even got it hot: 229 C, fan screaming.

Now, I am not sure if the changes I made to the maps or the timing retard is responsible. I suspect timing because it pinged when it was pig rich before I started trying to solve it.

The map changes eliminated the popping on decel and up shifts. So things look optimistic.

Retarding timing is a common way to handle pinging.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's what I gathered. I just didn't want to start going off-book until I made sure I checked everything the book said to check. Plus the book says the computer handles timing and that I should never need to touch or adjust the crank position sensor.

... and here I am stuck in the house, refinishing the bath tub, when I have a Uly that doesn't ping. Harsh.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Planned to replace the broken clutch cable. Spent most of the afternoon removing a stripped hex screw instead, then it got cold and looked like rain. Clutch cable will have to wait until tomorrow. :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Pics, nao.

Forgive the camera phone garage shots. I'll get some nicer pictures track side but its a dark cloudy day outside today and there is more than one disassembled motorcycle between it and being outside in the light of day.

(click for big)

Which is unfortunate because I did the paint myself and it turned out quite nice. Lots of metal flake in the clear makes it look like a starry night up close. Pretty sweet. Learned a lot doing the painting myself. Would totally do again, though I'd go even more retarded with the flake. Flake is awesome.

I also learned that the track plastics I got don't fit very well, which is too bad. Though that problem will resolve itself over time, because eventually a crash will let me try again with both the paint and nicer plastics.

Its a 2007 GSXR600 with a hybrid of 07, 08 and 09 bits. Custom fork caps & internals, Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins damper, Yoshimura EM PRO ECU, Power Commander, Yoshimura racing wiring harness, TI Full exhaust, R6 Brakes, steel lines & a Brembo MC, no title, unknown miles on chassis, probably 5k on engine, no key track special. My tuner says he last saw this bike when it was a podium bike in 2010, the spring of it received some head & valve work and a rebuild. Then the story goes it was retired at the end of 2010, sat for two years with its new owners to when I picked it up last fall for some front end parts for a GSXR and $1500. I've spent all winter browsing WERA and Ebay spending too much money uprading, modifying and collecting spare everythings and now I've got the finished product, which will be my main track slut for the next two, three years.

Might race it next year in Novice 600 if I really bond with it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chain was grimy as hell, so I cleaned and lubed it. Also, got the new front turn signal on. Third time's the charm, right?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I got my R6 'ready' for the track on monday. It's still not idling too well. I'm hoping it just needs an italian tune up, but I'll be bringing the KTM as a backup. Fresh brake fluid, mounted the body work, checked just about every bolt on the bike, safety wired the calipers and drain plug, and waxed it up.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Somewhat of a crosspost from the question thread. I went with my friend to look at a used 2008 Ninja 250 with ~7,500 miles on it. The plan is to track the bike, but it does have a clear title.

The bike gave me all sorts of bad vibes. It was VERY difficult to start, the oil level was way too high and was runny/milky, it couldn't rev past like 6,000 RPM without dieing out, and it smoked like crazy. My friend bought the bike and got it for $1,200. He planned to replace the motor and be done. We got it home and checked it out a little closer and the oil smelled like gas. We did a quick oil change and threw in some Seafoam and it runs MUCH better. It actually revs now. I'm skeptical of the longevity of the motor, but we will see soon. Track day in a month and I'll be riding this crazy thing!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about the revving issue -- I've heard that the level being too high can cause drag on the crankshaft and other moving parts, and that might account for it. However, the oil having gasoline in it is a bad sign, and means that your rings are leaking or worse. Tracking something that's liable to suddenly seize up and throw you off the bike does not sound like a great idea to me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about the revving issue -- I've heard that the level being too high can cause drag on the crankshaft and other moving parts, and that might account for it. However, the oil having gasoline in it is a bad sign, and means that your rings are leaking or worse. Tracking something that's liable to suddenly seize up and throw you off the bike does not sound like a great idea to me.

... all rings leak. That's a design feature. Especially when the engine is cold. It's not a sign that "the rings are leaking." it's a sign of a bad petcock, and some really dumb people deciding to run the bike even when they know "something" got in the oil.

Engines don't typically seize in any method that'll give you a bad day, and they don't do it without warning. So that wouldn't worry me much.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Cable tied my sidestand switch back on, the pivot bolt has backed out, which popped off the circlip holding the sensor on.

Stupid BMW torx poo poo, I guess I'll just take it to the dealer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Torx drivers are cheap.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
yeah they are, I've ordered some but it's under warranty so they can pay the 50c for a new circlip anyway.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Lots of things today. Wrapping the suspension concluded the function over form mods planned for the mighty max, and today began more of the fun stuff. It's nice to finally lose some of the boxes of junk and actually get it on the bike.

1. Re-bled the clutch after traffic caused it to suck. Pressure was so good fluid shot out the res like a fountain. Fortunately towels and tank prep made that a non-issue. After bleeding it I replaced the Yamaha branded res covers with cheesy Vmax covers.

2. Installed a dual usb charger for sena headset/phone/gps/whatever makes sense. I could have just used the battery tender's pigtail and an adapter but I really wanted it on a keyed wire so I didn't have a fully charged usb thing and a dead bike battery.

(It's sticking out the bottom there behind the frame)

3. Installed a flash2pass in the headlight bucket. Guys were asking about the posi-taps? It should be clear from this picture that I love those things.

4. Installed a battery meter and shift light (combo unit). I always want a battery meter/charging system indicator, and while shift lights are kind of cheesy, I've justified this to myself by the fact there's no rev limiter on this bike and vboost pushes you right up to the redline. So I'll be setting the shift light right at the redline, and probably the start of the range at the 5-6k where vboost starts to open.

4a. Get to tach wires

4b. Identify tach wires (brown = positive, gray = tach, and black = ground)

4c. Found where they were routed down the side of the bike and under the scoop. Oddly, in all this mess of wires there wasn't a ground. I had to run an extra stretch of it from the headlight bucket. I could have done it all right under the instrument cluster but it was really cramped and I didn't trust for a solid connection with the room I had to work with. (Note: more posi-taps and a posi-lock for the extra ground)

4d. Cleaned up wiring.

4e. 3M tape that thing to the speedo.

Done. The light is pretty neat and has a little start up sequence. I need to configure it yet, and then I'll probably post a short vid of it in action.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 28, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I used this on it:

Australian marketing and packaging design :allears:

In the UK we have Yoshimoto and their Slippitin (and Purple Helmet Polish).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My new Futura's clutch has felt like total rear end. Lever was spongy enough you could use it as birth control, the friction zone was like 3mm of lever movement wide and never seemed to be in the same place twice. Sometimes there'd be like an inch of dead travel with no resistance, sometimes not, in the same ride. I'm running on the assumption that anything wrong with this bike is due to PO neglect, so I decided to flush the clutch fluid.

First things first, dismantle the fairings on one side. This took me two hours, but it'd take me like 20 minutes next time, since it was mostly figuring out why Aprilia needed five different sizes of bolt requiring three different tools just to get to the clutch slave. This includes dropping the reg/rec because some Italian saved a couple lire by mounting it right by the clutch.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Anyway it turned out my master cylinder reservoir, which hadn't been cracked open since the bike left the factory, was practically dry and there was a poo poo ton of air in the lines. What was in there looked like this:

Seriously change your fluids more than once every 9 years, chaps.

Now that it's got fresh fluid and not air in the clutch line, the bike feels a million times better. I'm also happy because this is by far the most technical mechanical thing I've done to a vehicle I own, and it didn't end in abject disaster. I'm still not 100% pleased with the throttle response from closed, which may be as simple as adjusting the cable, but that's not nearly as pressing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Washed it. Yeah. That's what I did. :smuggo:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Broke mine.

Tamir came over to help do a valve job. Turns out we didn't have ANY of the right shims. So my Gs650 is sitting with a towel over the top end of the engine.

I lowered the forks in the triple on my Wr250, because that's going to be my bike this week. I discovered that the ICO odometer is also a Speedometer. (If I were smart, I'd have asked Squishy when I bought it.)

The thing is smoky as hell, I wonder if that'll get me pulled over...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

After the failure at Nerobro's place ("Don't worry, dude, I have tons of shims in the 2.70 - 2.80). If you haven't done valves in that long, I doubt you'll need anything thinner than that. *find nothing but 2.55 and 2.65 in there, and not one valve with clearance). :saddowns:

I went home to gently caress with my handlebars, and replace them with these sex toys :parrot:

Gotta drop those forks to sex them up, so it's wheelie time! :pervert:

Here is the money shot :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ordered a mess of shims, a valve tool, and a valve cover gasket. All sins will be forgiven Wednesday.

And I forgot to mention, Tamir helped on the forks.