Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Magic Underwear posted:

Werster is nearly 3 minutes ahead in his Pokemon Gold run, with a little less than an hour to go.

And his internet gave out shortly before the end.

When it came back on, his splits were 3 minutes ahead of the world record, and he led on his chat for a few minutes acting like he got WR. Nope. Got crit by Red's Pikachu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Jakuvious posted:

And his internet gave out shortly before the end.

When it came back on, his splits were 3 minutes ahead of the world record, and he led on his chat for a few minutes acting like he got WR. Nope. Got crit by Red's Pikachu.

The amount of rage coming from him is amazing. I think he broke his headset, and he just pounded his fist on the table a bunch of times.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He goes through headsets way too quickly. He's got issues.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
How old is Werster anyway? Is he in college or something? Does he really have that many Twitch subscribers or something? I'm just surprised that literally all he seems to do is speedrun Pokemon games. He's almost ALWAYS streaming.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

kaujot posted:

How old is Werster anyway? Is he in college or something? Does he really have that many Twitch subscribers or something? I'm just surprised that literally all he seems to do is speedrun Pokemon games. He's almost ALWAYS streaming.

He turned 18 a few months ago if I remember correctly.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

He said he was 19 the other day so maybe a recent birthday. I really enjoy watching him stream because the way he runs the game means he's on a knife-edge a lot, but when he gets it all right his times are incredible for it. Helps the outbursts are pretty funny too.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
His birthday was last week, yeah. Apparently wasn't the best birthday for him, either, but whatever. He annoys me a bit with the outbursts. I prefer his brother mike89, though he's back in school so he hasn't had time to stream.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

kaujot posted:

He's Twitch partnered, not studying and lives with his folks. Not exactly expensive living.

I also prefer mike89 but Werster plays the games I like soooooooo :shobon:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

mfcrocker posted:

He's Twitch partnered, not studying and lives with his folks. Not exactly expensive living.

Thanks, I figured it had to be something like that. Just wanted to know one way or the other.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I like mike89 because when they play Sonic together he puts Werster in his place and keeps him in check. Werster needs adult supervision.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

KariOhki posted:

His birthday was last week, yeah. Apparently wasn't the best birthday for him, either, but whatever. He annoys me a bit with the outbursts. I prefer his brother mike89, though he's back in school so he hasn't had time to stream.

Isn't there weird drama between him and his brother?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Studio posted:

I don't think so. They seem pretty amicable the few times I watched them play Sonic 3 + Knuckles together unless something happened recently.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Krenzo posted:

I like mike89 because when they play Sonic together he puts Werster in his place and keeps him in check. Werster needs adult supervision.
That's how it was during AGDQ right? I enjoyed watching both of them there, but Pokemon or wersters solo meltdowns couldn't be less interesting to me. Guess i'll try to keep an eye out for mike!

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Studio posted:

Something's going on, yeah. The other night, he also had an...interesting stream, where he accidentally left the stream up and the mic on when he got in a shouting match with his mother. At least some of it was about he and Mike89 hating each other or something. I dunno. Once I realized what was going on I checked out until the stream went back to Pokemon. But there's something there, yeah.

One thing people do need to realize with a streamer like Werster, is a good portion of it is embellished for the sake of viewers. He's not nearly that angry in person. His stream of Pokemon Yellow at AGDQ was a bit more indicative of him normally. Someone who is genuinely that angry doesn't suddenly tone it down when someone is sitting next to them. And it is certainly a good, profitable act for him. Gave him his own little niche alongside Cosmo and Siglemic in the upper echelon of streamers as far as popularity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jakuvious posted:

One thing people do need to realize with a streamer like Werster, is a good portion of it is embellished for the sake of viewers.

I wonder if that includes the racist slurs he spouts off.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like somebody uploaded it to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbq_AfOMbks

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Werster seems like a generally pretty terrible and unenjoyable person playing possibly the most boring and unimpressive thing to speedrun. At least Siglemic is a consummate professional at one of the most difficult games to speedrun and Cosmo is a Generally Likeable Dude.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
This is what Pokemon speedrunning does to a family :(

Selane
May 19, 2006

Brett824 posted:

Werster seems like a generally pretty terrible and unenjoyable person playing possibly the most boring and unimpressive thing to speedrun. At least Siglemic is a consummate professional at one of the most difficult games to speedrun and Cosmo is a Generally Likeable Dude.

I think you're reaching a bit; I don't think 'I don't like the games he plays' belongs in an argument about why you think someone is a bad person. Also I personally wouldn't use the word 'unimpressive' to describe anyone that holds like ten world records.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Selane posted:

I think you're reaching a bit; I don't think 'I don't like the games he plays' belongs in an argument about why you think someone is a bad person. Also I personally wouldn't use the word 'unimpressive' to describe anyone that holds like ten world records.

You're really bad at this reading thing.

Not liking the game he plays is a reason not to watch him, he never said it was a reason he thinks he's a bad person. He was also calling Pokemon speedruns unimpressive, not his achievements in playing games nobody else wants to play really fast.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jakuvious posted:

One thing people do need to realize with a streamer like Werster, is a good portion of it is embellished for the sake of viewers. He's not nearly that angry in person.
This fake "whacky" persona nonsense is the goddamn dumbest poo poo and i really hope you're wrong and he wasn't putting on some internet video celebrity gimmick, even if that makes it somewhat more pathetic.

Kyrosiris posted:

I wonder if that includes the racist slurs he spouts off.
Especially that revolting crap.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
A lot of you are overreacting like crazy to a pretty normal (on stream) 19 year old kid. It's pretty rude to call someone you don't even watch pathetic/terrible/a bad person because you have some strange internet superiority complex.

edit: This post probably doesn't read how I wanted it to, but this drama is completely unnecessary in this thread.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2013

Coyote Smith
Mar 26, 2010
Does he have legitimate anger issues? I find it incredibly shocking that a kid can call his mother a bitch and the mother having no reaction to being disrespected like Werster's mother was in that video. I don't think his anger is part of a internet persona considering the context of that video either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Keyboard Kid posted:

A lot of you are overreacting like crazy to a pretty normal (on stream) 19 year old kid. It's pretty rude to call someone you don't even watch pathetic/terrible/a bad person because you have some strange internet superiority complex.

edit: This post probably doesn't read how I wanted it to, but this drama is completely unnecessary in this thread.

Having an "internet superiority complex" has nothing to do with calling someone who spouts racial slurs a bad person. Especially since he's a Twitch partner and watching his stream directly contributes to his bank account.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does he say friend of the family on stream?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Werster is pretty terrible, like 99% of all speedrunners. That's not really news.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

fleshweasel posted:

Does he say friend of the family on stream?

Yes. It's really embarrassing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Volt Catfish posted:

Werster is pretty terrible, like 99% of all speedrunners. That's not really news.
Doesn't need to be "news" to be worth being called out. Doesn't make it "unnecessary drama" either.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Studio posted:

Mike89 hosed Werster's girlfriend and then Werster got charged with attempted murder (I assume re: the girlfriend but I don't know) and was given the option to either go to jail or go live at home with Mike89 so he went home and speedran Sonic games with him.

Coyote Smith posted:

Does he have legitimate anger issues? I find it incredibly shocking that a kid can call his mother a bitch and the mother having no reaction to being disrespected like Werster's mother was in that video. I don't think his anger is part of a internet persona considering the context of that video either.

Given his mother's "who knows what I was on that day" in that vid I guess she has some pretty serious issues herself and also Australia.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

like 99% of all speedrunners.

They may be pretty unbalanced but as gaming communities go, speedrunners are actually really welcoming people. You'd assume they'd be arrogant and egotistical, but few of them are. I think it's pretty hard to get over 100 viewers regularly if you don't have charisma/a rapport with the audience (with obvious exceptions that have already been mentioned).

In a huge majority of cases these people are just really enthusiastic about the games and it's easy to get caught up in it with them.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Volt Catfish posted:

I, uh, what? I think you're in the wrong thread.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Keyboard Kid posted:

I'm not. I enjoy speedruns a great deal, and a lot of them (like previously stated Cosmo) are actually quite nice. Maybe saying 99% was a bit harsh, sorry.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Keyboard Kid posted:

half of this thread only posts when speedrunners expose their human flaws and drama starts.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

HKR posted:

half of this thread only posts when speedrunners expose their human flaws and drama starts.

Eliminate all humans, TAS supremacy

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Solution: go watch PJ play Lagoon. http://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare

Just watch PJ play everything, especially Worms later.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
Almo just got handed some bad final fights in a potential Paper Mario WR. :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

absolutely anything posted:

Eliminate all humans, TAS supremacy
:cool::hf::science:

Although the fact that I prefer things like the game-shattering Rockman 1 TAS means I'm probably a little biased here. (be sure to watch the credits too)

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Lord Zedd posted:

Almo just got handed some bad final fights in a potential Paper Mario WR. :smith:

The worse part is that pretty much the same thing happened last night :smith:. The sad thing about Paper Mario is that Bowser can kill a run 3 and a half hours in if he feels like it.

To go into more detail, the all cards route uses mega rush on him, which gives +4 attack when at 1hp, so we need to get down to 1hp asap(we start at 10). Bowser can do one of 3 attacks turn 1:

- Fire, which does 10 damage

- Claw, which does 8 and poisons if you don't block it

- Jump on you(buttstomp) which does 8 and takes away your ability to either jump, hammer, or use items for several turns if you don't block it.

We also have the P up D down badge equipped, which is +1 attack but also +1 damage taken by any attack, and a tasty tonic to cure poison. We use sushi's water block on turn 1, which gives you +1 defense to all attacks except ones that involve fire, which gives +2 defense.

As you can probably already start to tell, 2 of those attacks will work perfectly, while the last one won't. He has a 4/6 chance to use fire, which is the absolute best thing he can do because you are down to 1hp immediately. Claw has a 1/6 chance of happening. It works, but it isn't as good because you have to waste a turn healing the poison. Buttstomp also has a 1/6 chance of happening and is the worst possible thing he can use because you're left with 3hp.

Now, you can still win the fight even with buttstomp, if you spam super jump charge(a badge that gives +4 damage to your next jump, which you can stack multiple times) and risk everything on one huge power bounce at the very end. but this introduces another piece of rng, the random power bounce caps. Every fight in the game has a cap for how many times you can jump on an enemy when using power bounce(which the description of the badge says you continue jumping as long as you get the action command). Normal enemies it isn't a problem because the cap is very high, sometimes up to 100, but bosses are very different. The cap on bosses is actually randomly determined when you start the jump, it can be a range of 4-7 on some bosses, for example huff n. puff, or as low as 3-6 on others, for example Bowser. The cap is randomly chosen when you start your jump, and if you reach the random cap the game will stop your power bounce whether you got the action command or not.

All of that was just a long explanation to show that while you can still kill Bowser if he uses buttstomp, you have to deal with even more rng to do it.

Another reason we need to get into danger is the way that Bowser heals. he can heal himself up to 3 times in the fight for 30hp each, but he will not heal at all as long as you are in danger(5hp or less). so the overall strategy for the fight is to get into peril to activate mega rush and make sure he doesn't heal, use repel gels and bows outta sight to make sure you stay at 1hp, and power bounce for your life, which will do 6-5-4-etc. each time.

So on top of everything above, bowser has one more trick up his shell. one of the attacks he can use sends out a wave of light, which is pretty difficult to block and if not blocked specificly by your partner, will knock him/her out for 3 turns and is pretty much gg because you will not be able to use your partners to attack, thus not kill bowser before you run out of repel gel invisibility and bowser will kill you.

BUT WAIT, you also bring a life shroom into the fight so it's not over yet. Oh nevermind, yeah it is, because if you can't kill him the next turn(which is possible, but not likely if things haven't been going well), you are no longer in danger and there is a good 90% chance that bowser will just spam heal 3 times and it's officially over.

Wow that was way more than I was planning to type, but I find this fight very interesting to talk about. It's the final boss 3 and a half hours into the run and it can screw you over more than any other fight through no fault of your own and there's nothing you can do about it, and that's what happened the past 2 nights in a row to Almo up a few minutes on the wr both times.

Sabby23 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 27, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
And 5upamayne knocks it out of the park with a 3:24 in-game time in Pokemon Gold! (3:23:xx real time, exact time unknown because of late splits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Sabby23 posted:

excellent explanation of a Paper Mario boss fight

Thanks for this, makes me want to watch Paper Mario runs!

• Locked thread