Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Had an amazing weekend at autocross did very well even with my chinese all seasons. I will make a big post soon but I am going to be fully stripping and caging my '97 to make it a real deal track car.

I will also most likely get a second job just to pay for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Sounds like Rotella's the way to go. I'm already using it in my SV650 with good results.

I replaced the fuel pump in my '90 and thought all was well, but my no-start problem is back. The engine will turn over and fire a couple times, sometimes idle very roughly for a couple seconds, and then die. I can hear the fuel pump running, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting fuel, and I have strong spark at all 4 plugs.

I suspect it's something electrical as the problem has been so intermittent. After I replaced the fuel pump everything worked fine and I went on a 10 mile drive with where everything ran smoothly, but when I went to move the car back into my garage it wouldn't start. Jumpering the F/P and GND terminals has no effect, so I think my MAF is fine. I guess looking at the CAS sensor and is next.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Konrad posted:

Sounds like Rotella's the way to go. I'm already using it in my SV650 with good results.

I replaced the fuel pump in my '90 and thought all was well, but my no-start problem is back. The engine will turn over and fire a couple times, sometimes idle very roughly for a couple seconds, and then die. I can hear the fuel pump running, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting fuel, and I have strong spark at all 4 plugs.

I suspect it's something electrical as the problem has been so intermittent. After I replaced the fuel pump everything worked fine and I went on a 10 mile drive with where everything ran smoothly, but when I went to move the car back into my garage it wouldn't start. Jumpering the F/P and GND terminals has no effect, so I think my MAF is fine. I guess looking at the CAS sensor and is next.

You have a pump, but are you sure you have pressure? Auto parts store can probably loan you a tester.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

saint gerald posted:

You have a pump, but are you sure you have pressure? Auto parts store can probably loan you a tester.

I actually picked up a tester at the same time I got the pump, but never bothered to use it. I guess my reasoning was that if the car ran totally fine for 10 miles, at revs up to 6,000 RPM under load, then it must have pressure. But, then again, my problem is intermittent.

I want to replace the soft fuel lines in the engine bay anyway, so I may as well test the pressure at the same time.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Tiny car problems :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Costco runs in a Miata are always fun, even without hitting the food court.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Good eye! I didn't even bother picking anything up. Just making an appointment with eye doc and grabbing some lunch.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I only have one cup holder in my S2K, so any run to Dunks that involves getting more than one coffee ends with me holding mine between my legs while I drive

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Look at these savages allowing drinks in their cars.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you're driving gently enough to not spill your drinks, you should be driving a car that came with cupholders in the first place. :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jammyozzy posted:

If you're driving gently enough to not spill your drinks, you should be driving a car that came with cupholders in the first place. :smug:

That's not what I learned from Initial D! :byodood:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

AF posted:

Tiny car problems :allears:

Phone posted:

Yea, carrying food and drink in the vehicle. Whats next? Power-assisted steering? Windows that wind up THEMSELVES?

:getin:

(forgive the grainy iphone night shot)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 26, 2013

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

It's only in there long enough for me to go to work :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got a line on a set of 1yr old Koni yellows w/ FCM bumpstops, stock springs and top hats all assembled for $425, assuming my hardtop sale goes through this weekend. I wanted to save up for an FCM setup, but my stock shocks are worn to poo poo and I gotta replace them soon. Plus it'll be quick work with them already assembled, pretty much a no brainer.

Once the hardtop sale goes through I'll accomplish my goal of aquiring/installing a new soft top (done) and shocks (pending) with the funds from the hard top without having to dip into my own cash. I'll be a happy camper for awhile then :dance:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why would you sell a hardtop? :qq:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Don't sell the HT!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heh. I needed a new soft top and shocks and had no extra spending money so the HT has to go. The HT is cool and all, but I'm a top down kinda guy and it felt weird driving a Miata around and not being able to flip the top down when it was nice, which is pretty much most of the time around here. Sorry ToolShack, I thought I'd warm up to the HT but it just isn't my thing I guess :(

At least now she has a brand new ST and is gonna get some decent dampers :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So my car occasionally has some high pitched squeaking at wheel speed. Seems to go away when I get on the brakes but that's hard to tell with the XP8 pads also screaming away.

Could it just be the pads riding on the squealer strips even though I'm off the brakes? I admit I didn't really check how much pad I had left when I bought it, so that's my next step when I change over to summer tires tomorrow.

My experience with aggressive pads is pretty limited so if I need to apply some kind of magic grease I can do that too.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 27, 2013

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
XP8 isn't an aggressive pad, it's a track pad. They are going to be noisy and dusty and eat your rotors while not stopping that great because you're running them a few hundred degrees under their minimum temp.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have an opinion on MR2 Spyders?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gets good gas mileage, has the wrong Corolla engine, prices are all over the place?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ToolShack loves his.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FatCow posted:

XP8 isn't an aggressive pad, it's a track pad. They are going to be noisy and dusty and eat your rotors while not stopping that great because you're running them a few hundred degrees under their minimum temp.

Yeah, they're definitely coming out. I have no idea why they're on an autocross car.

Also the squeaking problem might have been this gift from the PO:

Fitment is everything. :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2013

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
More MPG chat:

A couple pages ago I reported I saw 28 max, but I only had two refuels to report. I had a 80 mile highway drive this weekend and decided to go all out. Raised tire pressure from 28 cold to 36 hot (yeah, haven't been able to get a cold temp), kept the top/windows up, and 65 all the way. Refueled today and got 33 MPG! Woo woo :dance:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I don't want to give away his name, but let's just say a "friend", we'll call him "little bear" had his radiator blow out on him in the Sacramento heat, and before he knew it, he had overheated and blew a head gasket.
Now, it's a '91 LE, and he - oh gently caress it - I am wondering if there is any reliable or reasonable place to get rebuilt or lightly used 1.6s from, other than craigslist. I already have a new radiator, and I'm thinking of just buying a whole new/used block and head. If the 1.6 is just too hard to find, I'm not against doing a 1.8 swap.

I remember someone telling me that there was a place in Texas you could get them from for a reasonable price, but I've had a lot go down in the past few months and I simply can't remember.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go send Savington a PM, he should be able to point you to a junkyard motor without any real issue. I would say to just do a 1.8L swap if you can park the car for a little while.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

blk posted:

Anyone have an opinion on MR2 Spyders?

I've owned NA,NB, and a NC, all while owning a MR2 Spyder. I still own the MR2 if that says anything. It's not as practical as a Miata. But I enjoy the goofball looks more, the interior is more roomy for my 6'4 frame, and it gets a lot better MPG than any of the Miatas I've owned. As far as performance, I think the MR2 is the same as the NA/NB.

Leica giving you a hard time about the hardtop. I'm very happy I sold it to you man, can't wait to run around the gap with ya, if we can ever get that off the ground.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are the side hardtop latches the same from side to side? For some reason when I put them on, only one of them lines up properly and can be latched. The other one is too far back by about half a centimeter to latch on properly. Should I just try switching them side to side or do I have the wrong latches?

The spring is only on one side of the latch and I've got it facing in toward the door opening.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TooLShack posted:

Leica giving you a hard time about the hardtop. I'm very happy I sold it to you man, can't wait to run around the gap with ya, if we can ever get that off the ground.

It's all good man, picked up the Konis today, can't wait to get them installed. Did you check out the link to that campground I sent you? It's pretty nice and close enough to the Gap I think.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are the side hardtop latches the same from side to side? For some reason when I put them on, only one of them lines up properly and can be latched. The other one is too far back by about half a centimeter to latch on properly. Should I just try switching them side to side or do I have the wrong latches?

The spring is only on one side of the latch and I've got it facing in toward the door opening.

Just loosen the striker bolts and they can be adjusted front to back. If that doesn't work make sure you have them on the correct side, there is a left and right striker.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So my mother backs into my car and it spiderwebs the paint. Trying to save her some $$ - '92 miata - first bodyshop I've talked to is quoting me about $430 just in paint and labor not even with the parts costs. That seems about right but do I have any options that don't involve buying a new cover? They seem to think it's going to be a toss up regarding fixing the current bumper or spraying a new one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Plastic bumpers are so goddamn flexible that they're hard to fix - if the patch is too stiff then it will crack, if it's too soft the bumper will bend in ways it shouldn't.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Break down and buy an OEM bumper cover? This one has already been hosed w/ a few times but this definitely doesn't need to be perfect. I'm kinda thinking if I tell them that they can come in a bit under the $450 for a new cover.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd look around for a bumper cover in your color first, people are parting out Miatas all the time. Check craigslist.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I grabbed a NA bumper cover for $150 from an exspec miata guy that was selling off his stash. Depending on your area you may have to wait a bit for something decent to come up on CL.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So a year and a half ago I installed a 949 clutch kit and lightened flywheel. After a month, the pilot bearing started making a horrible racket. I drove with it like that for a while (just using the clutch when necessary -- sitting in neutral at stop lights, etc) and had a shop put in a new pilot bearing six months ago. Two months later, the noise returned for a day or so, then disappeared. Now it's back and seemingly permanent. Is it possible a bad pilot bearing could wear anything down to the point where new ones just go bad quickly or do I just have really lovely luck with pilot bearings (and possibly mechanics)?

Also anybody know a decent Miata mechanic near Waltham, MA?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Was everything bolted down properly? For the next time, I'd look into buying new flywheel bolts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If it's eating up pilot bearings you could have a worn input shaft.

[edit] I've never seen that problem with street cars, only race cars. Still could be a possible issue though.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 1, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Getting the urge to get another Miata since my current beater is terrible and soul sucking (99 Civic with ~170k miles). I figure it will at least be somewhat fun to drive and get somewhat comparable gas mileage. It's a 2nd car anyway, so it doesn't really need to be practical. There's a 2000 NB on CL for 3k that I might have to call about.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Just a warning, the mileage will not be as good and with a 2000 I think you might need to run mid grade or premium. I dont really remember the compression ratios on the NBs. My NA with 75 city 25 highway gets 20-23 and almost 100% highway gets 24-27 (in the last year I have owned it, I have seen above 26mpg 3 times). I drive it relatively hard, but not much harder than I did with my 99 accord DX that got 28-31mpg average.

EDIT: VVVV Derp, my bad. Even said that in your post.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've had 2 NAs, I know what I'm getting into. :)