Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Not to mention playing with anything over... I think six versus six WILL crash the game, even if you have the blood decals and shells turned off. But drat if massive bot fights aren't fun.

I can't wait until the Spectre and LK05 get released...

Speaking of Unreal: I'm at this part in Na Pali where you go down this godawful long outdoor hallway after the Nali golden statue, and I can't find a way into the buildings. Is there a switch somewhere?

I played a match with 31 bots. My frame rate was poo poo but the game didn't crash at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I have the exact opposite problem of you two. My framerate is smooth, but five or so rounds in, and the game complains about an allocation error.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
THe worst part about Blood is that back in the day I played the gently caress out of it before their either released or I knew about the final patch. The version I played the most didn't have the special akimbo Tesla Cannon alternate fire and the Napalm Cannon's alt was the same as its regular shot.

Then years later I bought the One Unit Whole Blood pack which came pre-patched and I was all :cult:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I think it originally didn't have the Life Leech's turret gun alt-fire as well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah you're right. Forgot about that.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Prenton posted:

Life Leech's turret gun alt-fire
the fukkin what?!

I do remember trying out a 3Dfx patch for Blood back when I still ran dual Voodoo2's. It didn't go well.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I don't think I ever played Blood without the patch, but I remember it took me a few years after my first taste of it to not only get it working fully (with sound!), but to discover the proper use of the Voodoo Doll. Holy poo poo the death animations :stare:

When I first played Blood (the first few times actually), I could only run it without sound, but I played it all anyway. Holy poo poo it was hard. And then when I finally got sound via DOSBox, oh my god. The cultist death screams had me in tears they were so funny. But those ghost things that murder your face and become corporeal only when attacking? gently caress those things are scary.

Also, playing the game without sound made those Idle Hands enemies an absolute nightmare. I also could never get the "throw it off you" function to work, so getting just one on my throat meant guaranteed death. That haunted mansion level where there's a bunch of them in a small room? Napalm Cannon. That's where I gained so much love for that thing, especially the alt fire.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Prenton posted:

I think it originally didn't have the Life Leech's turret gun alt-fire as well.

Throwing it as a turret was the only way I ever found any use for it. Did I miss something in how it functions or is it really just a spray can with better range?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
WHat's the best way to play Blood with a mouse or controller? I've got the GoG version but never played past the first level because the mouselook blows and I don't like playing FPS games keyboard only.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

the fukkin what?!

You can set up the Life Leech as a sentry turret. Stays in one place, shoots lots of fire at dudes. When you're done, waltz over and pick it up again.

Can get blown up, though, which basically destroys the weapon permanently.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

It doesn't matter what I do, mouse aiming feels clunky and I replayed Blood on four different computers since I got it from GOG. I don't know if its because the mouse (used a Razer diamondback, MS Sidewinder X8 and now Gigabyte Aivia Krypton) or is just because I can play other old fps with 1:1 modern mouse aiming. I never used bmouse that may be the issue.

Build has a very low vertical mouse resolution. Any combination of vanilla or bmouse makes horizontal mlook work great, but trying to look up or down is a gigantic pain because moving the mouse too slowly won't register a change. If you do move fast enough, then a single increment is several pixels in height. It's fine for normal action-y play, but hell if you want to snipe something or precisely lob a stick of dynamite.

Speaking of that, the pipe bombs and dynamite are pretty much the only reason why I can't just play Duke or Blood in "Doom Mode" with no vertical look. It's pretty irritating.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Why haven't any of the EDuke32 devs taken a crack at reverse engineering Blood support? Seems like that'd be a worthwhile endeavor.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Why haven't any of the EDuke32 devs taken a crack at reverse engineering Blood support? Seems like that'd be a worthwhile endeavor.

Most of them are pretty busy nowadays. Terminx doesn't have much time to work on eduke32, let alone reverse engineering a game.

Of course, if Monolith had any brains we could have had the source code to it by now, but nope. Blame Jace Hall.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Epic Hamcat posted:

WHat's the best way to play Blood with a mouse or controller? I've got the GoG version but never played past the first level because the mouselook blows and I don't like playing FPS games keyboard only.

Mouse is just fine. You can play it exactly like a modern FPS save for the fact that there's still some vertical autoaim.

I can't imagine playing it with a controller for some reason.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
If you guys think Blood's aiming is wonky, the mouselook with Rise of the Triad's GL ports is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen - even when the GL port makes part of the environment true 3D.

(Yet more help needed: when I try to go through the exit in ROTT's first episode, the game freezes up - I've tried it with DOSBox, GLROTT, and WinROTT. They all just... freeze. I'm using a GOG install.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

If you guys think Blood's aiming is wonky, the mouselook with Rise of the Triad's GL ports is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen - even when the GL port makes part of the environment true 3D.

(Yet more help needed: when I try to go through the exit in ROTT's first episode, the game freezes up - I've tried it with DOSBox, GLROTT, and WinROTT. They all just... freeze. I'm using a GOG install.)

Sounds like one of your files is borked. Try reinstalling, or failing that, redownload the setup files and try again.

Reive
May 21, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Yeah I can't stand playing the original ROTT, the controls just feel so bad when you're used to modern Doom ports, so if I need to wet my ROTT whistle I just boot up the Return of the Triad mod for Doom.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hopefully the RoTT remake will fix that. Oh god between that and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon they're my 80/90's fix.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Support for ROTT is the endgame plan for ECWolf.

Speaking of which:

Blzut3 posted:

I may have lied a bit about Mac Wolf being the next game to be supported. That may actually end up being Super 3D Noah's Ark. I've been in contact with Wisdom Tree Games and they have the source. Currently waiting for them to send it, but some external issues have been dragging the process out. I'll be sure to post an update when I receive the game and source to announce the plan going forwards.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Isn't Super 3D Noah's Ark literally a reskin of Wolfenstein 3d? Like for real what's so different in the source code that makes it different from any other Wolf TC?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Isn't Super 3D Noah's Ark literally a reskin of Wolfenstein 3d? Like for real what's so different in the source code that makes it different from any other Wolf TC?
Floor and ceiling textures (already in ECWolf), a proper automap, and one of the pickups gives you a quick one-question pop quiz on the Bible, refilling your health if you get it right.

Nothing ground breaking, but it probably saves Blzut a bit of guesswork.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

That would actually be super-cool.
I mean, practically everyone I've talked to knows about it, knows of it, and knows its story (even know that the trivia of id being mad at Nintendo for censoring Doom on the SNES is incorrect), but it's been kind of difficult to actually get my hands on the drat game.

I'm not expecting something Chex Quest tier, but it'll be interesting to blow a few hours.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

a proper automap

Sold.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
The DOS version of Noah's Ark is kinda cool, in that it incorporates a lot of features from the console/Mac versions of Wolfenstein back into the DOS engine. In addition to the aforementioned automap, it also has max-ammo-increasing backpacks, and equivalents of the flamethrower and rocket launcher (slingshots that fire cantaloupes and watermelons, respectively). Also, while it's separated into 6 episodes like the PC version, the amount of levels per episode matches the Mac Second Encounter version: 3 levels in the first, 4 in the second, 4 and a secret in the third, etc.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey gents,

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the awesome recommendations in this thread - its turned me on to so many great games I never knew existed! (Blood, the duke expansions, a bajillion Doom mods)

I bought the GOG version of Blood and just wanted to mention that there's a glitch that makes the lowest difficulty settings brutal. If you quicksave and then load a level, you'll TRIPLE the damage you take. Others have posted about this in the gog forums, and I never found a real solution. Basically, if you don't quicksave you're totally fine, but it certainly adds more difficulty to an already difficult experience. (All worth it for the top notch level design. Cryptic Passage in particular is worth all the praise ever thrown at it.)

But what finally brought me to post is that I've been trying to get Lucasarts' Outlaws to work. Its basically star wars dark forces with a heaping helping of western awesomeness.

And with judicious use of glide wrappers, compatibility modes and tweaks I've gotten the jerry rigged thing to work. Plus, I'm using itunes to play Clint Bajakian's gorgeous soundtrack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXZbJhEl_A Honestly, I'm shocked I got it working at all, since I'm on windows 7.

But there's one problem - the 2.0 patch (http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/outlaws.html) installer refuses to work on windows 7. It gives me that nasty "doesn't work on the system, check to see if its 32 or 64 bit blah blah blah" nonsense. Even a compatibility mode won't fix it.

The kicker is that the 2.0 patch includes 4 new single player levels, that I vaguely remember to be unholy amounts of greatness.

Anyone know of a way to circumvent the odd installer package? There's got to be a way to dig out the map files and play them separately, as i've figured out how to play a few fan made romps already.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

But there's one problem - the 2.0 patch (http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/outlaws.html) installer refuses to work on windows 7. It gives me that nasty "doesn't work on the system, check to see if its 32 or 64 bit blah blah blah" nonsense. Even a compatibility mode won't fix it.

The kicker is that the 2.0 patch includes 4 new single player levels, that I vaguely remember to be unholy amounts of greatness.

Anyone know of a way to circumvent the odd installer package? There's got to be a way to dig out the map files and play them separately, as i've figured out how to play a few fan made romps already.
Looks like that installer is a 16-bit program, which isn't supported on 64-bit versions of Windows. Your solution is to set up a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows and use that.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Narcissus1916 posted:

I suggest the VM route... or perhaps this 64-bit installer! http://www.replaying.de/outlaws/outlaws-patch-fur-windows-vista-7-x64-64-bit/

Edit: Dead link. Here's one from VOGONS. An Outlaws forum has a handy thread with a bunch of stuff linked too.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 29, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Huzzah! Your google-fu or knowledge of obscure FPS' far outstrips my own.

I also just ran through HACX: a commercial TC for Doom that... isn't very great at all. There's some great early levels that almost feel like a cyberpunk Duke Nukem, but the levels quickly devolve into endless switch hunts.

For some drat reason I've been craving a retro Duke-style shooter thats focused on urban environments - office spaces, skyscrapers, and the like. Something like a longer more elaborate version of Shadow Warrior's Wanton Destruction.

That Prime Target for Mac looks bleedin' perfect, but that game redefines the term obscure.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I also just ran through HACX: a commercial TC for Doom that... isn't very great at all. There's some great early levels that almost feel like a cyberpunk Duke Nukem, but the levels quickly devolve into endless switch hunts.

Xaser and company has been making a completely revamped version of Hacx, and from the demo that was released the gameplay is very much improved.

Though I say "has been making" very loosely, considering development has been moving at a pace that makes "a snail's pace" seem like generously exaggerated F-Zero racing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Apparently it wasn't an April Fool's joke: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

I'm off to work now so I can't give it a try just yet.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I was hoping in DNF tradition, it would be delayed yet again.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It's good fun, but don't go in expecting a full length game or something that deviates alot from normal Duke gameplay. It's 5-maps long and will take you around an hour and a bit. The levels are amazing looking, especially for a Build engine game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Check out that sweet voxel rear end.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jblade posted:

It's good fun, but don't go in expecting a full length game or something that deviates alot from normal Duke gameplay. It's 5-maps long and will take you around an hour and a bit. The levels are amazing looking, especially for a Build engine game.

Still better than DNF.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, it's the 30th of April, and here in the Netherlands, that means it's time for the national festival of Queen's Day. Which turned into King's Day this year, because there was a coronation and yada yada yada. Important thing: there were massive garage sales today, and I picked up a copy of Descent 2 in original packaging and a Logitech 3D Pro joystick, in perfect condition, for less then a tenner.

Hell yeah!

(Now, does anybody have any good source ports to recommend for Descent 2 on OSX?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The OS X version of Rebirth should work. I had to do a little messing around to get it to work with the GOG version of D2, but once I did it was flawless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

Apparently it wasn't an April Fool's joke: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

I'm off to work now so I can't give it a try just yet.

Downloading... :neckbeard:

Edit: It so dark its like unplayable, I'm stumbling around trying to find the different ducts and I can't see anything. Color correction makes things brighter for while I change the value, but as soon as I go back to playing, its dark again. How do I enable color correction? I've tried Software and 16/32 opengl renderers. :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 30, 2013

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

haveblue posted:

The OS X version of Rebirth should work. I had to do a little messing around to get it to work with the GOG version of D2, but once I did it was flawless.

Thanks! Gonna go and give this a shot!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Zaphod, this might be a dumb question, but have you tweaked the gamma and contrast settings? One of the latter F keys shortcuts you there.

And you'll want to get this working because boy howdy is it great. I've only played the first and second levels but this could very well function as a fifth Duke episode.

It also features MORE! DUKE! NUKEM! For whatever reason, a lot of the top profile Duke single player mods don't feature Duke Nukem or his world much at all. Most modders tend to make their own stories and while that's cool, so much of my love for Duke 3d centers on the man himself.

Between DNF 2013 and Blood Dragon, my inner 13 year old is ecstatic today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaphod42 posted:

Color correction makes things brighter for while I change the value, but as soon as I go back to playing, its dark again.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Zaphod, this might be a dumb question, but have you tweaked the gamma and contrast settings? One of the latter F keys shortcuts you there.

:colbert: