Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Honorable mention goes to Keiji Maeda, who was the Samurai Warriors equivalent of Lu Bu (if slightly less of an rear end in a top hat) before XL came out and brought in Tadakatsu. He's not quite as obscenely broken as either of his counterparts, but he's pretty good. Losing Steve Blum as his voice actor was a shame, though.

Keiji is probably a closer parallel, at least lore-wise. Lu Bu's Red Hare has a similar legend to Keiji Maeda's Matsuzake. Lu Bu was considered a wild, terrifying rear end in a top hat; so was Keiji. Keiji's introductory encounters in most of the games are confrontations you can often lose if he hits you only a handful of times, much like Lu Bu. Keiji was a loyal and respected retainer that died with his dignity intact, and Lu Bu AW gently caress IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Stelas posted:

Another question on Empires - I'm starting up as an officer within a kingdom on the 'completely random stuff' map. What's the best way to get a hold of new recruits? I don't have access to the invite command but the AI keeps pushing for invasions, and every other kingdom seems to fill up with recruits really drat quickly.

e: While I'm at it, any custom team I'm not directly part of just get wiped out immediately because they're all lovely level 1s compared to the rest of the map ganging up on them. Is this just a thing where I'm expected to carry levels over or something?

Officers unfortunately don't get much in the way of options for recruiting, only rulers do. As for the lovely level 1 CAWs, if KOEI ever gets off their asses and releases the 1.03 patch that's currently only out in Japan, I hear there'll be an option to adjust the starting fame level for CAWs.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I asked this in the PSN Store thread, but I'll ask here, too, since it's the more specific thread:

Which is the better Nobunaga's Ambition game, Rise to Power or Iron Triangle? I played the NES Nobunaga game way back when, but it wasn't Mario or Mega Man so I barely gave it a thought. My attention span is slightly better now, and I'm looking for something in the RotTK vein without having to dig out my PS2 and RotTK 8. The $10 reward in the PSN Store is burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Depends, are you okay with pseudo-realtime? Having played Rise to Power a bunch more than Iron Triangle, RoP was basically turn-based but with a base-building component that reminds me of SW3E... and seemed a heckuva lot easier to cheese the combat than IT.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Chortles posted:

Depends, are you okay with pseudo-realtime? Having played Rise to Power a bunch more than Iron Triangle, RoP was basically turn-based but with a base-building component that reminds me of SW3E... and seemed a heckuva lot easier to cheese the combat than IT.

I'm down with combat cheesing, so maybe Rise is better for me. Although now I'm browsing through the DW7E add-on stuff and am tempted to pick up Scenario Sets 2 and 3, the Suikoden Castle set, and a couple of the Edit sets. drat you, indecision! :argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh god the alternate Jin ending in DW8 was so awful and dumb.

Jiang Wei: You haven't won yet! I'll fight you forever!!
all three Sima boys: YOU FOOL!
Wei: !!
Sima Yi: Tell me again, what are you fighting for?
Wei: To realize my master's dream of a world of benevolence and peace!
Yi: Have you considered that maybe drawing this war out actually hurts people?
Wei: Gasp! I had never considered that! I surrender.
~The End~

edit: Confused Jiang Wei with the Kingdom of Wei. nvm. :downs:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsHTWnJBGQ

I know absolutely nothing about Kamen Rider but this looks kind of cool, I feel like I need a primer for this. The dude with the trench coat who talks with a robot voice and the guy with a diamond for a head who's also in the YT embed image at the end both seem neat.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Policenaut posted:

New trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsHTWnJBGQ

I know absolutely nothing about Kamen Rider but this looks kind of cool, I feel like I need a primer for this. The dude with the trench coat who talks with a robot voice and the guy with a diamond for a head who's also in the YT embed image at the end both seem neat.

That's just Kamen Rider Wizard, which is the currently airing incarnation of the show. Both the roboty voice one and the diamond head dude (it's the midseason upgrade). There's not really any way to give you a primer since most of the shows are self contained though.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 18, 2013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

Come to the tokusatsu thread and we will be more than happy to show you the wonderful world of men in spandex fighting for the enjoyment of children!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541221

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Aaaaand the first DW8 DLC is here.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Xiahou Dun is a mirror image for Naked Snake. :allears:

"Do not pursue Lu Bu!"
"Lu Bu!?"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Yessss... I can't wait to spend another $25 dollars on modern weird costumes for everyone. (for real)

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I definitely need to save that free ten PSN bucks they gave out for DW8. I bet that can get a fair piece of silly costumes. :haw:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I like the magic Wenji costume, might have to get that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dr. Cao "Otacon" Pi is pretty awesome.

"It's just like one of my historic novels!"

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Aaaaand the first scans of both Wu's DLC and Chen Gong are up. EDIT: The latter is probably just a "here's our response to the who-people-who-like-to-next-be-playable-poll", though that suggests him as a possibility for DW8 XL (you know it's happening).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 24, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

That's a very... :heysexy: look.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Probably a callback to all his DW6 talk -- and unfortunately I just realized that it's probably more of a "here's our response to people voting him as the next playable character they'd like poll", I recall him still being a generic NPC in DW8.

Also.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Pure valor and love. No sugar.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kissekatt posted:

Pure valor and love. No sugar.

That is the angriest drink of Pepsi I've ever seen.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, now I'm convinced that Koei has just lost all track of the laser-like focus on "thematic sets" that made the DW7 DLC outfits so good. I mean, Sun Jian as a sushi chef, Daqiao as a seeming waitress and Lu Xun as a seeming waiter all make sense, but what the gently caress is up with Sun Ce, Sun Quan and Han Dang?

Similarly, Wei is a giant mish-mash.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Han Dang as a commando owns hard I don't know what you're on about.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ YES

Oh my goddddddd just take all of my money! :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of that, I don't even know. :psyduck:

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
People really buy that stuff ?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I think that's a pilot's helmet? Gotta admit, I did not see Zhang Liao as a fighter jock.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh hey, it's Greg Gates from Area 88/UN Squadron. :haw:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dantes posted:

That is my reaction any time they put out outfit DLCs that put guys in high school uniforms.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dantes posted:

There are people who don't?

Seriously, all of the "Original" costumes are either better than the regular costumes or are so hilarious that there's no reason not to use them.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

iastudent posted:

Oh hey, it's Greg Gates from Area 88/UN Squadron. :haw:

Nah, Greg is a more "man's man" scruffy guy.

And now I want a UN Squadron sequel even more. :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I think that's a pilot's helmet? Gotta admit, I did not see Zhang Liao as a fighter jock.
Cleared up here... I have no idea. As for Pang De... here you go.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Any images of Shu or Jin? Those Wei ones are amazing, I scrolled through all the images and then right at the end you've just got Zhang He as a lovely clown.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
I wish I could play as Commando Han Dang in Killing floor so much right about now. Also looking forward to more DLC outfits, these are always fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Koei ran a somewhat strange official character poll, the results are here. From left to right, the tabs across the top are "who do you want as a sibling/friend/boss/boyfriend/girlfriend".

Uh...yeah...

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Samurai Sanders posted:

Koei ran a somewhat strange official character poll, the results are here. From left to right, the tabs across the top are "who do you want as a sibling/friend/boss/boyfriend/girlfriend".

Uh...yeah...

Cao Cao would be an awful boss. Doesn't anyone remember the time where he executed an innocent granary officer for hoarding food, just because he didn't plan to bring enough food along and didn't want the troops to lose morale? (No; no one remembers that because I'm a weirdo who finds this stuff more interesting than it should be.)

EDIT: vvvv Probably, but he still killed the guy to cover his own error.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 28, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

Cao Cao would be an awful boss. Doesn't anyone remember the time where he executed an innocent granary officer for hoarding food, just because he didn't plan to bring enough food along and didn't want the troops to lose morale? (No; no one remembers that because I'm a weirdo who finds this stuff more interesting than it should be.)
Did he actually take care of that guy's family like he promised to?

Then again, Lü Meng had a friend beheaded for taking a hat from a Jing province civilian against orders, even if it was ostensibly so that his armor wouldn't get wet, because Lü Meng wanted local support for his expedition against Guan Yu.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Guan Yu would be the worst boyfriend because if you move on after his death, he'd come back and kill you. Even if he does have such a magnificent beard.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
One of the DLCs better be costumes that just shove Guan Yu's beard on all his kids.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saith posted:

Guan Yu would be the worst boyfriend because if you move on after his death, he'd come back and kill you. Even if he does have such a magnificent beard.
Also I question if the people who voted for Wang Yi as a girlfriend really thought through the idea of having a gf who hates everyone and everything good in the world, and lives for nothing but dark, bloody revenge. Her special line for if she is killed by Ma Chao is especially troubling, she says "Look, everyone! I finally killed Ma Chao! You can finally rest...in...peace...." (dies)

edit: in DW anyway. I can't figure out where in the historical record, or the novel, that characterization of her came from. Little help?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I question if the people who voted for Wang Yi as a girlfriend really thought through the idea of having a gf who hates everyone and everything good in the world, and lives for nothing but dark, bloody revenge. Her special line for if she is killed by Ma Chao is especially troubling, she says "Look, everyone! I finally killed Ma Chao! You can finally rest...in...peace...." (dies)

edit: in DW anyway. I can't figure out where in the historical record, or the novel, that characterization of her came from. Little help?

It's people that want to believe 'tsundere' is a real thing, so that they can believe all the attractive real world people that spit on them are just masking feelings of genuine adoration. Oh and she's got massive jugs.