Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
In a true example of Karma in action I binned my bike last night (crash thread) after being all smug in here about how cheap I was getting my chain and stuff done for.

The good news is that the only damage is slightly tweaked handlebars and a bit of a dented ego.

I can't seem to find stock bars anywhere so I guess it's time for an upgrade; any suggestions? I've got a naked K4.

ReformedNiceGuy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
So I've narrowed the bar search down to either Rental ultra lows or their flat version. The ultra lows seem like a pretty direct replacement but I think the flat bars look a lot cooler I'm just worried about them interfering with the fuel tank.

Does anyone have any experience with either?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I have a 2002 SV650N (last year of the first gen). When I cold-start the bike in the morning in neutral, and then shift into first, it almost seems as if the clutch isn't fully disengaged. As in, there's a thud, and the bike jerks forward lightly like it would if I had shifted without disengaging the clutch. It doesn't stall, which is what would happen if the clutch actually wasn't disengaged and the bike wasn't moving. Strangely, the longer I let the bike sit and warm up with the choke on before I shift into first, the less likely this is to happen.

What's the explanation here, and how can I remedy this? Adjust the clutch cable, flush clutch fluid? Do I even need to remedy this, or should I just sit and wait for things to warm up longer before I take off?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly, but all my bikes have done that to some extent.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

opengl128 posted:

Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly, but all my bikes have done that to some extent.

What exactly does that mean? This is my first bike, I come from the 4-wheeled side of AI :derp:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Did a total suspension swap out on the SV for the track - did a Penke 8983 rear shock and AK20 front end profesionally set up. Can't wait to test it at the track.

On a related note, anyone interested in some suspension upgrades? Let me know!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post414892621

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pissingintowind posted:

I have a 2002 SV650N (last year of the first gen). When I cold-start the bike in the morning in neutral, and then shift into first, it almost seems as if the clutch isn't fully disengaged. As in, there's a thud, and the bike jerks forward lightly like it would if I had shifted without disengaging the clutch. It doesn't stall, which is what would happen if the clutch actually wasn't disengaged and the bike wasn't moving. Strangely, the longer I let the bike sit and warm up with the choke on before I shift into first, the less likely this is to happen.

What's the explanation here, and how can I remedy this? Adjust the clutch cable, flush clutch fluid? Do I even need to remedy this, or should I just sit and wait for things to warm up longer before I take off?

That's just drag from cold viscous oil on the clutch plates, that's why it goes away as the engine warms up. Its more noticeable if you're kicking into first while the engine is revving higher with the choke on.
You adjust the clutch up at the bars or down by the front sprocket if there is no adjustment left at the bars.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

What exactly does that mean? This is my first bike, I come from the 4-wheeled side of AI :derp:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54588

I followed this guide and it was pretty much perfect afterwards

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
gently caress, I just ruined this master link didn't I?

Edit: And if so, I can just press it out and try again with a new link yeah?

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 28, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah thats hosed...just install a fresh one.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah not only was it jacked, but I riveted the wrong side, heh. Chain box tells me to follow my chain tool instructions, chain tool tells me to follow my chain instructions. But all is good! Everything is now buttoned up and I'm about to see how it turned out.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Pissingintowind posted:

Your clutch and transmission is bathed in engine oil at all times. Oil is thicker when cold. It also explains why the the bike is way harder to push in gear, clutch, in as opposed to in neutral, clutch out. (Or is that the other way around, I can't remember!)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You're right - it's the clutch plates that have a boatload of resistance even when pulled apart thanks to the viscosity of the oil. So if you disconnect the transmission from the rear wheel by putting it in neutral, you can easily push the bike around, if you have the bike in gear but the clutch disengaged, there's still a lot of drag.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a line on a complete ZX6 front end as a drop in replacement for a Gen 1 SV, with forks, triples, clipons, wheel, rotors, calipers, master cylinder, etc. 250 bucks plus shipping.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What would it take to make that work with a gen 2, if its even possible?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Let me check in with my buddy and see.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm looking for some bar end mirrors for my 08 nakked and I'm guessing all the ebay $15 specials are garbage. Any recommendations?

Also, is this site still a valid place to buy from? I found it earlier in this thread and just wanted to make sure before I send them some money

http://www.ride-engineering.com/products.php?d=1&p=e&pn=SV-LPH00-BA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I had some of the folding ones and was surprised at how nice they were. Curved glass for better view behind you and everything.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well hey there CA.

Last Saturday I bought my first bike, a 2000 SV650 with 6600 miles. It has a nice little fist-sized dent in the tank and I didn't pay too much for it so I figure it's a good learner bike. If it's way too much bike and I'm completely wrong and stupid and about to kill myself please let me know. My bike friend told me it was "the miata of the bike world" however, and that seems less scary?

I start my MSF class tomorrow, and have bought gear. I've tooled around on it in my little 3 cul-de-sac country subdivision and am both terrified and incrediby excited. I just learned about feathering the rear brake and using the friction zone with the clutch for low speed tight turns, and boy does that make a difference.

Any advice on these bikes that a new rider could use?

VVVV - Will do.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 2, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, stop riding your bike until you complete the MSF, you're training in bad habits.

The trick to riding any bike safely is the same: Don't ride like an rear end in a top hat, don't try and impress people, don't do stupid poo poo, and treat the performance of your bike with respect. Your friend isn't really right on the miata comparison, considering most miatas don't do 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. The SV 650 is a slowish bike, but it's a drat fast vehicle. So don't do stupid things.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 2, 2013

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I got on the SV after having a Ninja 250 and it felt like I strapped a rocket to my rear end. Especially while practicing emergency braking on a large paved area. WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear scoots my rear end all the way back to the passenger seat. I'm still terrified.

I now understand why there's such a huge track following in Houston. Holy poo poo there's no roads. My first bike and 8,000 miles were on beautiful southern California roads. The only curvy roads, and there's not many, are sweepers, so you have to break laws to actually have fun. Luckily, my buddy, who races (just got his CMRA Novice license last week), got me into working a corner at Fastline/MSRH a few weeks ago. My 'free' trackday is coming up at the end of this month and I am loving stoked.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

VVVV - Will do.

Not trying to be a dick here. It's just really that you'll do yourself no favors and the instructors will talk to you about those habits a lot. You're already way ahead of the curve if you can ride it around a little bit, so you'll do fine :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SV650's haul tremendous amounts of rear end. 1-ish seconds behind supersports in linear acceleration is still moving quite a bit.

And I agree: everything everyone is saying about slowing down is extremely important because acceleration, even on 250's, makes obstacles creep up on you fast. Don't succumb to the perils of the warp. ;)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I got on the SV after having a Ninja 250 and it felt like I strapped a rocket to my rear end. Especially while practicing emergency braking on a large paved area. WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear scoots my rear end all the way back to the passenger seat. I'm still terrified.

I now understand why there's such a huge track following in Houston. Holy poo poo there's no roads. My first bike and 8,000 miles were on beautiful southern California roads. The only curvy roads, and there's not many, are sweepers, so you have to break laws to actually have fun. Luckily, my buddy, who races (just got his CMRA Novice license last week), got me into working a corner at Fastline/MSRH a few weeks ago. My 'free' trackday is coming up at the end of this month and I am loving stoked.

Welcome to Houston.

:(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Nice! There's some roads out here to the west of Houston. Hit me up if you need any help and are coming to TWS! I just did my first trackday there on the DRZ and had a blast. There's a HUGE track following in the Houston / Austin area with plenty of guys who have parts / gear for sale if you need anything.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

invision posted:

Welcome back to Houston.

:(

Fixed that for you. I'm based out of Houston, so CA was just a year-long gig.

:smith:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

JP Money posted:

Nice! There's some roads out here to the west of Houston. Hit me up if you need any help and are coming to TWS! I just did my first trackday there on the DRZ and had a blast. There's a HUGE track following in the Houston / Austin area with plenty of guys who have parts / gear for sale if you need anything.

Sweet! My first trackday will be at MSRH with Fastline, but I'll definitely keep your S/N handy. I also love me some used gear (my leather jacket is from invision who actually shipped it to me while I was in CA).

P.S.: I have a growing lust for a DRZ. I have no idea where it came from as I've never ridden one. I did ride some Honda supermoto once and it was the coolest thing ever.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Sweet! My first trackday will be at MSRH with Fastline, but I'll definitely keep your S/N handy. I also love me some used gear (my leather jacket is from invision who actually shipped it to me while I was in CA).

P.S.: I have a growing lust for a DRZ. I have no idea where it came from as I've never ridden one. I did ride some Honda supermoto once and it was the coolest thing ever.

If you ever come out this way you're more than welcome to take it for a spin. It's a ton of fun. Great city bike. If you haven't already check out motohouston.com and two wheeled texans forums for gear / parts / bikes for sale. Avoid the gently caress out of the general forums though, especially on MH. It's got some of the biggest loving idiots I've ever seen post on a forum but I've gotten great deals on bikes / gear / parts from the sale forums before.

You may want to read WFOriders.com. All the hardcore track rats hang on there and you can get inside deals on bikes and stuff for cheaper before they hit motohouston with sale ads.

If you do TWS my buddy is a pretty frequent track marshall / Level 1 instructor there and I can set you up with him if you want some guidance for Ridesmart. I've heard mixed stuff about Fastline as far as ethics go but they seem to put on ok track days. There's a guy from WFO that runs one called Track Tactics Trackdays (3T) that are supposed to be incredible. They have Ty Howard as an instructor I believe (he holds most all of the lap records for the tracks around here and races CMRA). I really want to attend them as they have some track days for 100 bucks coming up as introductory events to spread the word.

I've not gone to MSRH yet but it's on my list for sure. People around here all claim it's their favorite track locally and they seem to run better times there comparatively than they would at TWS. Watch out if you go to Cresson and ECR as I've heard real mixed reviews about track conditions there.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

Not trying to be a dick here. It's just really that you'll do yourself no favors and the instructors will talk to you about those habits a lot. You're already way ahead of the curve if you can ride it around a little bit, so you'll do fine :)

It's all good, I know what you meant.

Took the MSF course this weekend and learned a lot. I was dicking around on the TU250X they gave me and it's a night and day difference from the SV.

I went out yesterday with my buddy after I got my 30 day temp license. Riding solo is tons of fun and a sensory overload, but I'm still out of my element riding with him. Probably riding solo or asking him to slow down for a while.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

rotaryfun posted:

I'm looking for some bar end mirrors for my 08 nakked and I'm guessing all the ebay $15 specials are garbage. Any recommendations?

Also, is this site still a valid place to buy from? I found it earlier in this thread and just wanted to make sure before I send them some money

http://www.ride-engineering.com/products.php?d=1&p=e&pn=SV-LPH00-BA

I saw you post in the What did you just buy thread and you had bar ends on there. Where did you get them?

I have stupid aftermarket grips that cover the end of the bar. I suppose I'll have to change those as well if I want to put mirrors there, right?

EDIT: :doh: It says it right there on the picture.

EDIT 2: Although that site looks bogus. http://www.motorcyclepartscustom.com/ ?

internet inc fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 6, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

It's all good, I know what you meant.

Took the MSF course this weekend and learned a lot. I was dicking around on the TU250X they gave me and it's a night and day difference from the SV.

I went out yesterday with my buddy after I got my 30 day temp license. Riding solo is tons of fun and a sensory overload, but I'm still out of my element riding with him. Probably riding solo or asking him to slow down for a while.

As long as you're doing the right things on the bike it's better to have someone in front of that's faster so you can learn from them. Go get comfortable on the bike around town and give it another shot. Don't go riding twisties alone no matter how embarrassed you feel. New riders all alone in the turns is a recipe for disaster. Also, when riding with him tell him to tone it down a bit and don't feel bad if you have to hang back to stay comfortable.

After a little while you'll look back and realize he probably was going fairly slow but like you said sensory overload as a new rider will make it seem like you were following behind Rossi even if you're only going 35mph.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

internet inc posted:

I saw you post in the What did you just buy thread and you had bar ends on there. Where did you get them?

I have stupid aftermarket grips that cover the end of the bar. I suppose I'll have to change those as well if I want to put mirrors there, right?

EDIT: :doh: It says it right there on the picture.

EDIT 2: Although that site looks bogus. http://www.motorcyclepartscustom.com/ ?

I just ended up getting them from ebay. They were $18 bucks so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321114442238?item=321114442238&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

As long as you're doing the right things on the bike it's better to have someone in front of that's faster so you can learn from them. Go get comfortable on the bike around town and give it another shot. Don't go riding twisties alone no matter how embarrassed you feel. New riders all alone in the turns is a recipe for disaster. Also, when riding with him tell him to tone it down a bit and don't feel bad if you have to hang back to stay comfortable.

After a little while you'll look back and realize he probably was going fairly slow but like you said sensory overload as a new rider will make it seem like you were following behind Rossi even if you're only going 35mph.

I personally don't ever ride in front of new riders in a 1/1 riding situation. It's too easy to drag them in to a corner faster than they are comfortable. That "information overload" is basically the beginnings of panic, and the first time something goes wrong, they're going to have whatever panic reaction they default to...usually grabbing a handful of brake and crashing. New riders should always ride at a pace they are comfortable with, and taking away the concerns of holding up a faster rider or "being boring to ride with" or all the other random reasons that people ride over their heads is a good thing.

It takes a very careful leader who is willing to ride at or below the marked speed limit to safely lead a newbie around.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

At the same time people are going to want to push if they think an experienced rider is being held up behind them. At least with someone better in front of them they can be towed through the turn instead. At normal speeds even if you fixate on the bike in front of you it'll probably just lead you through normally. Obviously you shouldn't be trying to drag a knee or something with rookies behind you. Taking a nice easy pace (and making sure they know it's not a race pace) can help a lot in my experience. It also tells them that even if they think they're going really fast that the pace is actually slow. You can segue this into teaching them about body positioning / looking ahead to show them their error and how they can be faster.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Fair points. I have helped a lot of people learn to ride and personally I have found it much better to ride behind. I can see their mistakes, catalogue, and advise at the destination. I can be sure to be lighting up my brake lights so others on the road know we're unexpectedly slowing down when they accidentally find neutral and take a moment to figure it out instead of continuing to accelerate off the light.

I don't think most have the awareness to watch me and learn, and also worry about what they're doing until after developing what I would consider to be above a beginner skillset.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When I have newbies behind me, I make a conscious effort to ride really easy - like yellow advisory speed easy - knowing that my easy is probably a little bit of a stretch for them. I also have a safety conversation beforehand, explaining that I'll wait if I stop seeing them in the rear view and to go the pace they want.

When I was a newbie riding behind more experienced riders, it was always reassuring for me to see how fast they could go into turns. It gave me confidence in what the machine could do when I was still learning to trust it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My buddy leading me into the turns kept reminding me that the bikes are much more capable than either of us and that I can always turn more. I'll have a conversation with him about this whole thing though, maybe see if we can switch positions frequently and have him give me pointers and advice.

Man do I love this SV650. The sound is incredible and I'm really into the naked streetfighter look.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

At the same time people are going to want to push if they think an experienced rider is being held up behind them. At least with someone better in front of them they can be towed through the turn instead. At normal speeds even if you fixate on the bike in front of you it'll probably just lead you through normally. Obviously you shouldn't be trying to drag a knee or something with rookies behind you. Taking a nice easy pace (and making sure they know it's not a race pace) can help a lot in my experience. It also tells them that even if they think they're going really fast that the pace is actually slow. You can segue this into teaching them about body positioning / looking ahead to show them their error and how they can be faster.

The problem with towing someone through a turn is you get them used to the experience of using a moving target in front of them. It's really important that they understand how to navigate a corner on their own. And if you're not watching them, how do you know what they're doing wrong? It's a lot better to be able to say "In that corner you turned in early which is why you ran wide on exit".

If they're incapable of keeping themselves under control, they're going to wad their poo poo on a group ride regardless eventually, so you may as well be behind them where they won't run into you and you'll be able to attend to them as quickly as possible.

If you want to show them how fast a bike can go, just put them on the back and run them up a twisty road 2 up. Even 2 up pace will be way faster than they will be comfortable processing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's a good plan. Also keep in mind if you're doing body positioning practice that it's going to feel / look stupid at slow speeds. Once you start getting faster it'll make more sense. You'll feel like you're really hanging off the bike and you're so close to dragging a knee but then you'll see video footage of you almost completely upright with your whole body off the bike that'll make you laugh.

Try to do a trackday once you're comfortable on the bike. It'll do wonders for you as far as learning your limits and give you some instructors who really know what they're doing to lead you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Great advice guys thanks.

He tracks at VIR quite a bit. Although I can't even begin to fathom a point in which I'll be ready to go to a track day, I know it's inevitable.

• Locked thread