Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Radbot posted:

I keep hearing talk about "tablet mode" and how Paranoid Android and other custom ROMs for phones can move the soft buttons and clock around to make it look more like a tablet.

Is my Nexus 10 supposed to have this? Besides the dual pane notification/quick settings thing, it looks identical to the setup on my Nexus 4.

It's the modder communities shorthand for the original Honeycomb 3.0 UI layout:

Basically it was retired in 4.2 for something more consistent with handheld form factors, and the N10 was the first 10" tablet to use the new format. The mod community didn't really like this since they feel the button layout was more optimized to holding the tablet in two hands and that the pronounced difference from the Phone UI gave tablets an exotic quality so they regard the original layout as the true tablet layout, whereas the N7/N10 are just running the phone layout in their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Probably a dumb question and potentially irrelevant once I get a new laptop, but those USB OTG cables for hooking up an external drive to a Nexus 10, what sort of external case will work with those assuming I have one that always powers itself through USB and not a wall adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-NST-200S3-BK/dp/B0058YY202

I have that hard drive enclosure (except not USB3, it's older) will the USB OTG cables power that drive or am I gonna be screwed until I'm able to tether both the Nexus 10 and the HD to a real computer? I'm going to be away from all my stuff for a month and wanted to take some stuff with me in the case that something stupid happens to my server or internet connection while I'm gone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Telex posted:

Probably a dumb question and potentially irrelevant once I get a new laptop, but those USB OTG cables for hooking up an external drive to a Nexus 10, what sort of external case will work with those assuming I have one that always powers itself through USB and not a wall adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-NST-200S3-BK/dp/B0058YY202

I have that hard drive enclosure (except not USB3, it's older) will the USB OTG cables power that drive or am I gonna be screwed until I'm able to tether both the Nexus 10 and the HD to a real computer? I'm going to be away from all my stuff for a month and wanted to take some stuff with me in the case that something stupid happens to my server or internet connection while I'm gone.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to power a hard drive with your tablet.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Telex posted:

You could try getting something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...CFUPc4AodjnYAwA paired with a wall socket USB adapter.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I'm new to android completely. Just picked up an Asus transformer tf700. I've been playing around with it for a while, picking up apps, etc.

It is unlocked and rooted. All that stuff is a bit overwhelming and confusing. I understand an unlock is permanent and voids the warranty. And that being rooted is like being jailbroken.

Currently I'm on 4.1.2 and would like to upgrade to 4.2.1. I found this but it's a bit confusing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223918

I'd like to backup all the apps I have and their settings, do a system restore/wipe/whatever, and then upgrade to 4.2.2 and still be rooted. How do I go about this?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 28, 2013

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Christoff posted:

So I'm new to android completely. Just picked up an Asus transformer tf700. I've been playing around with it for a while, picking up apps, etc.

It is unlocked and rooted. All that stuff is a bit overwhelming and confusing. I understand an unlock is permanent and voids the warranty. And that being rooted is like being jailbroken.

Currently I'm on 4.1.2 and would like to upgrade to 4.2.1. I found this but it's a bit confusing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223918

I'd like to backup all the apps I have and their settings, do a system restore/wipe/whatever, and then upgrade to 4.2.2 and still be rooted. How do I go about this?

Titanium Backup is a great app for backups, and is free in the Play store. You *should* be able to do a system wipe and then install the 4.2.2 ROM you have from the bootloader. Have you found instructions on accessing the bootloader on the TF700?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

Titanium Backup is a great app for backups, and is free in the Play store. You *should* be able to do a system wipe and then install the 4.2.2 ROM you have from the bootloader. Have you found instructions on accessing the bootloader on the TF700?

Yeah I got titanium backup trying to figure out how to use it. What's wrong with the way it backs up to your google account?

I don't know it seems like I couldn't because I might brick it? Something about them changing the partion of the software or some poo poo. It's all very confusing and new to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Christoff posted:

Yeah I got titanium backup trying to figure out how to use it. What's wrong with the way it backs up to your google account?

I don't know it seems like I couldn't because I might brick it? Something about them changing the partion of the software or some poo poo. It's all very confusing and new to me.

Google "backs up" the apps you install in the sense that it keeps a record of those apps and will reinstall them fresh on a new device. It doesn't back them up in the sense of keeping app data: save games and other data will NOT be backed up.

Titanium Backup will keep app data. If you tell it to back up an app, you can then copy the files to a new device and restore them, keeping things like save games, app settings, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Google "backs up" the apps you install in the sense that it keeps a record of those apps and will reinstall them fresh on a new device. It doesn't back them up in the sense of keeping app data: save games and other data will NOT be backed up.

Titanium Backup will keep app data. If you tell it to back up an app, you can then copy the files to a new device and restore them, keeping things like save games, app settings, etc.

The cloud doesn't backup app data? Huh. I thought it'd just re-download the apps and keep the app data. That's lame.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Christoff posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/26/asus-releases-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-bootloader-unlock-tool-get-your-rom-on-in-1080p/

So that'll get you into the bootloader, where you should be able to wipe/install ROM. Just make sure you have a solid and well-vouched-for ROM.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Vagrancy posted:

It's the modder communities shorthand for the original Honeycomb 3.0 UI layout:

Basically it was retired in 4.2 for something more consistent with handheld form factors, and the N10 was the first 10" tablet to use the new format. The mod community didn't really like this since they feel the button layout was more optimized to holding the tablet in two hands and that the pronounced difference from the Phone UI gave tablets an exotic quality so they regard the original layout as the true tablet layout, whereas the N7/N10 are just running the phone layout in their eyes.

Thanks for the info, didn't know it was retired in 4.2.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Christoff posted:

The cloud doesn't backup app data? Huh. I thought it'd just re-download the apps and keep the app data. That's lame.

You're thinking of iCloud. Android doesn't have anything like that yet, unfortunately.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

randyest posted:

You're thinking of iCloud. Android doesn't have anything like that yet, unfortunately.

Well, it does - but developers don't tend to use it (it isn't automatic).

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Telex posted:

It varies from drive to drive but I have a 1TB 2.5" USB powered external drive that works fine with my Nexus 7 using an OTG cable, I previously had a 750GB drive that worked fine also.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Sendo posted:

It varies from drive to drive but I have a 1TB 2.5" USB powered external drive that works fine with my Nexus 7 using an OTG cable, I previously had a 750GB drive that worked fine also.

Please post model info? Also, what app are you using to mount drives? I was upset to find out the N7 didn't do it natively like the S3.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Edit: Nevermind

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 28, 2013

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm about to drop the cash on a nexus 10 but can't seem to find a cover I like. Ideally I want one of these foldable style ones

But I'd rather have it clip to the back like the official one on the play store does. I've been trawling amazon/ebay for days with no luck yet.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Shannow posted:

I'm about to drop the cash on a nexus 10 but can't seem to find a cover I like. Ideally I want one of these foldable style ones

But I'd rather have it clip to the back like the official one on the play store does. I've been trawling amazon/ebay for days with no luck yet.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Lightwei...s=moko+nexus+10

Can't beat it for 10 bucks. Doesn't use the silly little pull off tab like the Google one, but it clips on the back and it's not thick and doesn't add a lot to the weight of the device or anything like that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I have an hp touchpad running android which I really enjoy. Recently upgraded it to android 4.2.2 which has multi account support. I set up two accounts, one for me and one for someone else that uses it. My only issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to either share or move apps from one account to the other. Is this possible somehow?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Please post model info? Also, what app are you using to mount drives? I was upset to find out the N7 didn't do it natively like the S3.

The 1TB I'm using now is a USB 3.0 WD My Passport, not sure on the model number of the drive. I'm using StickMount to mount the drive (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount) which requires root, alternatively Nexus Media Importer works without root (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harminoff posted:

So I have an hp touchpad running android which I really enjoy. Recently upgraded it to android 4.2.2 which has multi account support. I set up two accounts, one for me and one for someone else that uses it. My only issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to either share or move apps from one account to the other. Is this possible somehow?

The whole point of multiple user accounts is to have separate accounts. If you want to share apps, why not use a single account? Google didn't add in multiple accounts so that you could share paid apps between users, for example. They did it so people could share a single device, while still having all their personal stuff sectioned off from each other.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RVProfootballer posted:

The whole point of multiple user accounts is to have separate accounts. If you want to share apps, why not use a single account? Google didn't add in multiple accounts so that you could share paid apps between users, for example. They did it so people could share a single device, while still having all their personal stuff sectioned off from each other.
It sucks that letting someone play a game on your tablet means also letting them see your Gmail and Gtalk and Google Voice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It sucks that letting someone play a game on your tablet means also letting them see your Gmail and Gtalk and Google Voice.

There's numerous apps that allow you to lock off other apps with a password.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Harminoff posted:

It's been a while since I wiped my transformer and put 4.2.2 on fresh, but I believe you can install all the apps you want available to both accounts BEFORE you create the second user account, and both accounts should be able to use those apps market permissions. It's been a while since I messed with the feature on our one device where we take advantage of the feature, but it was certainly trickable. For a tiny point of reference SuperUser permissions for multiple user accounts hadn't really worked until a couple months back for the TF700, so based on the rom support for the TouchPad progress could be further behind or along.

You could also look into shell commands to create a linked appdata folder accessible to both accounts on the Internal/SD file system, which could work marvelously or break everything, so keep a decent nandroid backup before you experiment.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RVProfootballer posted:

It doesn't make sense because it doesn't work like PC/Mac/Linux which give access to installed software for different accounts while keeping mail and personal things separate.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

It doesn't make sense because it doesn't work like PC/Mac/Linux which give access to installed software for different accounts while keeping mail and personal things separate.

It does if you use "Multi User App Share," but that requires root, so :shrug:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

The best solution for this is to use a shared family account for Google Music, App purchased and the like. My wife and I both have our own GMail account, but then we have a family account that we purchase all our apps with. We add this secondary account to all our devices, and set it to the primary account the market uses. This allows us to share our paid apps but not have our main GMail accounts on each others devices.

She has an iPad and an iPhone, so it's not really that useful for us, but if she decided to switch to Android, it's already setup to make it easy to share everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

I'm not saying it couldn't work a different way. However, it seems to me the model is rather different between Android and PC. All your Google stuff is tied to your Google account. You can install whatever software is tied to your account on whatever hardware is also tied to your account. Computer software is often licensed to specific hardware, where you can officially only install it on X machines. They're just very different models.

I see Google as much more similar to something like Steam, which (at least by default) ties everything to a specific user. Unless you're willing to share a Steam account, you don't get to freeload games that other users of the computer have purchased, right? You can keep everything separate, both personal stuff and games, or you can share it and just use one user account on the computer.

Jerk's suggestion is one solution, but since you can't move purchased stuff from one account to another, you have to plan it that way from the start.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Maybe you should ask yourself if you're using multiple accounts to hide your Gtalk and Gmail why you are being so dishonest to the people around you and hiding the details of your life :pwn:

Anyhow, for devices we share my girlfriend and I just have all our purchased apps on our shared gmail account. It's a lot easier.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Maybe you should ask yourself if you're using multiple accounts to hide your Gtalk and Gmail why you are being so dishonest to the people around you and hiding the details of your life :pwn:

Anyhow, for devices we share my girlfriend and I just have all our purchased apps on our shared gmail account. It's a lot easier.

Yeah, you don't have a girlfriend.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I should be more clear when I'm invoking Eric Schmidt.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/26/asus-releases-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-bootloader-unlock-tool-get-your-rom-on-in-1080p/

So that'll get you into the bootloader, where you should be able to wipe/install ROM. Just make sure you have a solid and well-vouched-for ROM.

I appreciate the help but it's still all very confusing to me someone needs to be literally walk me through it, haha. This is my first android anything. All I know is I have a rooted and unlocked transformer tf700 with 4.1

randyest posted:

Oh ok I thought it did. And it would remember what apps to download and their data. Good to know.

I've been messing around with apps and poo poo and I gotta say gmd gesture control is awesome. If you have a tablet get it

It does feel a bit sluggish at times is there any apps or tweaks to make it a bit more snappy

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Install App Lock? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My reason for it is simple. I previously had a version of android without multi account support. I share the device with my daughter and we would just download everything to one account. Now that I have multiple accounts I would like to remove her apps from my account and move them to hers without having to redownload everything. It looks like Multi User App Share should work though.

I just don't get how there can't be an admin account that has a settings that lets you toggle what account can access what apps. If we both have games that we play does multi account install it twice or just once and store the save files in different user directories?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

My reason for it is simple. I previously had a version of android without multi account support. I share the device with my daughter and we would just download everything to one account. Now that I have multiple accounts I would like to remove her apps from my account and move them to hers without having to redownload everything. It looks like Multi User App Share should work though.

I just don't get how there can't be an admin account that has a settings that lets you toggle what account can access what apps. If we both have games that we play does multi account install it twice or just once and store the save files in different user directories?

Why can't you just keep doing it the way you have? There's absolutely nothing stopping you. I fail to see the problem. A new feature was added, it only adds another option. Heck, you can still add your Google account to her account, and turn off Gmail and Google voice syncing, and just have it sync Play store purchases.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is it worth buying a nexus 7 now, or should I wait for the refresh this summer?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would wait. The updated SoC alone will be worth it let alone any screen upgrades.

If it is a quad core S4 with a 1080p screen, I'll probably end up selling off my 7 and picking up a new one. Which is another reason why you should wait. Even if these things aren't important to you, the used market will end up being flodded with 1 year old Nexus 7s. The Nexus 7 is cheap enough to not feel guilty about a yearly refresh cycle so I can see a lot of people dumping the old one for the new hotness.

I generally prefer the 7" form factor for a lot of my stuff, but the screen and speed on my N10 have ruined me for the N7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I would wait. The updated SoC alone will be worth it let alone any screen upgrades.

If it is a quad core S4 with a 1080p screen, I'll probably end up selling off my 7 and picking up a new one. Which is another reason why you should wait. Even if these things aren't important to you, the used market will end up being flodded with 1 year old Nexus 7s. The Nexus 7 is cheap enough to not feel guilty about a yearly refresh cycle so I can see a lot of people dumping the old one for the new hotness.

I generally prefer the 7" form factor for a lot of my stuff, but the screen and speed on my N10 have ruined me for the N7.
I feel exactly the same. If the 7 is refreshed with a better screen, I'll be getting one and one of my friends will be getting my old 7 for $100.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I feel exactly the same. If the 7 is refreshed with a better screen, I'll be getting one and one of my friends will be getting my old 7 for $100.

Ha, that's exactly my plan down to the price. I have a friend who has wanted a tablet but needs a deep discount to push him over the edge. I'm sure he'll take it off my hands for $100 which makes picking up a new one for $249-$299 a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they release a refreshed N7 but there's no 3G version then I'm going to be really torn about what to do. Don't do this Google!