Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think I'd agree that while Javik adds some welcome variety to ME3 and that it is a lesser experience without him, his involvement does sort of sit on top of everything, like a more fleshed out Zaeed/Kasumi. Rather than something that feels like it's been ripped out and left dangling wires.

I do like Javik, but I think I'd rather the Protheans had been left as enigmatic fore-bearers, glimpsed through shreds of history/archeology, than turned in to the gotcha experience of being a bunch of space fascists. It's more formulaic, but satisfyingly so I think.

Also did I miss/forget the bit where it's explained why they don't look like the statues in ME1 Ilos/ME2 Kasumi DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fwoderwick posted:

:words:
Also did I miss/forget the bit where it's explained why they don't look like the statues in ME1 Ilos/ME2 Kasumi DLC?

The art was stylized? I don't really know.

And I'm not saying those couple dlc are worthless and should never be played. I'm simply speaking in context of having to pay for full price dlc.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Because Bioware decided that instead of the Collectors being super warped and unrecognizable versions of the Protheans they were instead just husk-ified Protheans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fwoderwick posted:

I think Javik explains somewhere that Ilos was the home of a pre-Prothean-cycle race called the Inusannon, and the Protheans just occupied their ruins for the Conduit project the same way we occupied Prothean ruins (like Feros).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fwoderwick posted:

I do like Javik, but I think I'd rather the Protheans had been left as enigmatic fore-bearers, glimpsed through shreds of history/archeology, than turned in to the gotcha experience of being a bunch of space fascists. It's more formulaic, but satisfyingly so I think.

Javik mentions a couple of things, yeah. He said that they built Ilos in the ruins of a "past civilization." So those could just be statues of an earlier species.

Javik also says that the Prothean are actually a bunch of different species. Once they join the civilization/empire, they are all known as Protheans at that point.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Fwoderwick posted:

I don't remember where it was exactly, but at some point Javik says that the protheans on Ilos were actually using the facilities of an even older race. Ie. BioWare changed their minds about how the protheans would look and made up something to cover for it.

Edit:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Javik also says that the Prothean are actually a bunch of different species. Once they join the civilization/empire, they are all known as Protheans at that point.

This too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's one of their better-executed ret-cons, really.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've been playing through as a Vanguard on Insanity for the past few hours since you are basically invincible on normal. I took a break after having some trouble fighting three geth alphas simultaneously. Now that I loaded it back up, the game was kind enough to replace my fully upgraded Paladin pistol with a Predator I.

At this point, I feel like Bioware coded the game to be a giant dick.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bioware has always made buggy as poo poo games. I remember getting stuck in KOTOR because Mission Vao's stealth was so high that an NPC wouldn't notice her and trigger a cutscene.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Bad memory it is, cheers guys. A fair enough retcon given the collectors design they went with, but yeah I preferred the Protheans when you were left to wonder how close they were to those statues and it wasn't all spelt out in neon letters. In my mind it went from something like the Space Jockey in Alien to "oh hey, you know the pilot from Farscape?".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

1st AD posted:

Bioware has always made buggy as poo poo games. I remember getting stuck in KOTOR because Mission Vao's stealth was so high that an NPC wouldn't notice her and trigger a cutscene.

In the first Baldur's Gate you cannot heal a character that had a high magic resistance.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been playing through as a Vanguard on Insanity for the past few hours since you are basically invincible on normal. I took a break after having some trouble fighting three geth alphas simultaneously. Now that I loaded it back up, the game was kind enough to replace my fully upgraded Paladin pistol with a Predator I.

At this point, I feel like Bioware coded the game to be a giant dick.

Good thing Vanguards have no use for such simple designs as "pistols" or, rather, "guns."

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I would advise against playing Insanity with Vanguard on ME2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

jackofarcades posted:

I would advise against playing Insanity with Vanguard on ME2.

Heed this person's advice. If you are a loser.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I feel like maybe replaying this whole serie as a Renegade FemShep (I played each one once as MaleShep and Paragorn). I checked the OP but couldn't find anything about what I'm looking for.

For Mass Effect 1 on the PC, is there a list of tweaks I should do to help performances or take full advantage of my computer which is a lot more powerful than a Xbox 360? I played ME1 on the Xbox back in the day so I have no experience with it on the PC.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Hemish posted:

I feel like maybe replaying this whole serie as a Renegade FemShep (I played each one once as MaleShep and Paragorn). I checked the OP but couldn't find anything about what I'm looking for.

For Mass Effect 1 on the PC, is there a list of tweaks I should do to help performances or take full advantage of my computer which is a lot more powerful than a Xbox 360? I played ME1 on the Xbox back in the day so I have no experience with it on the PC.

This might help, but don't expect massive, or even moderate gains. ME1 is very poorly optimized, and there's not much we can do to change that.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks

EDIT: This, too: http://www.tweakguides.com/ME_1.html

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 27, 2013

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I never got why the statues on Ilos had to be what Protheans looked like. We've made tons of statues of animals and mythological creatures that aliens thousands of years from now could find and think "Hmm, guess this is what humans looked like."

Edit: I mean, they could have been statues of the Prothean god "Tentacleface" or something.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 27, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I never got why the statues on Ilos had to be what Protheans looked like. We've made tons of statues of animals and mythological creatures that aliens thousands of years from now could find and think "Hmm, guess this is what humans looked like."

I thought the 'it's just another cycle's statues, no biggie' explanation was rather elegant, all things considered.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Edit: I mean, they could have been statues of the Prothean god "Tentacleface" or something.

Well, there's also the vision scenes from the beacons in ME1 that feature aliens that kind of, somewhat look like the statues seen on Ilos, as far as you can tell from the brief and blurry shots anyway. Combined with the statues, that meant that most people assumed that was roughly what the Protheans looked like back in the days of ME1. And what Bioware intended them to look like.

It wasn't until ME2 and the Collectors, and funnily enough, a sidequest where you found another Prothean beacon which would trigger the same exact vision, except modified to show a Collector-type of Prothean instead of the tentacle-type in ME1, that anybody even considered they wouldn't look like that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Also, the picture for the "Protheans" entry in the ME2 codex was one of the statues. So it was probably the original intent.

But yeah, I still say it's a pretty good ret-con. Not all ret-cons are sloppy or bad.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This is probably not a big surprise but it turns out James is a great character. He is like this game's Jacob, but not as desperate to be Shepard's pal.

He feels a lot more natural as the "Hurr, tough guy" than the hard sell they give Garrus.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I know I'm late to the party, but I just played through the Citadel DLC. That was just really great. I didn't want it to end. I was hoping Shep would say at the end, "How about one more night of partying?" and have another party. Everyone hanging out and getting drunk together was a great send off.

Was there a way to do both a mellow party and a dance party? I picked an exciting party first, then told Glyph to mellow it out a bit, thinking I'd be able to ramp it up after that so they could dance as well, but it didn't give me the option.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 27, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah just start with a mellow party, keep it going or ramp up, then do a dance party instead of food.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I was going through ME3 on the XBox again and I ran into a weird bug during Priority: Palaven. At the first camp, for some reason, I couldn't unlock the the 3 weapon mods you could pick up there. I could pick up and unlock the Viper and Scimitar, but when trying to pick up the weapon mods I don't get the unlock message for them and I can't equip them at the weapon bench. I tried replaying the mission and it still happens. I even wait until the second and third time I come back to the camp to pick those 3 mods up and it still doesn't unlock. Even weirder, I could pick up and unlock the assault rifle mod and the two sniper rifle mods when you leave the camp. Does anyone else have this same problem, and are there any ways to get around it?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't decide what to do at the end of Kasumi's ME2 loyalty mission. The information is important, but I don't want my new buddy to be sad! :ohdear:

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

rotinaj posted:

I can't decide what to do at the end of Kasumi's ME2 loyalty mission. The information is important, but I don't want my new buddy to be sad! :ohdear:

If Keiji didn't want Kasumi spending all her time in that thing then he shouldn't have died.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rotinaj posted:

To me, asking Kasumi NOT to poke around in things or keep a memento of the past felt out of character for her. Personally I find the idea of keeping the greybox around after Keiji asked for it to be destroyed immoral, but Kasumi quite clearly doesn't share my/Shepard's personal sense of morality anyway.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rotinaj posted:

Have Shepard delete it for her. It was her boyfriend's last wish and she'll be unhealthily attached to it otherwise. It'll be hard, but better for her to start moving on instead of obsessing over a memory of Keiji forever.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etjester posted:

If Keiji didn't want Kasumi spending all her time in that thing then he shouldn't have died.

Yes, besides you don't want her to be some weird shut-in who spends all her time on that thing.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Have Shepard delete it for her. It was her boyfriend's last wish and she'll be unhealthily attached to it otherwise. It'll be hard, but better for her to start moving on instead of obsessing over a memory of Keiji forever.

And then someone else can sexually harass Jacob :q:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FauxGateau posted:

Yes, besides you don't want her to be some weird shut-in who spends all her time on that thing.

Yeah, it would really suck if she just sat on a couch all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, it would really suck if she just sat on a couch all the time.

Come back later, I'm sure she'll have plenty to talk about :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finally, I can start my ME1 insanity playthrough. What's the best squad for each planet?

I figured:

Feros: Ashley/Wrex
Dig Site: Liara/Tali
Noveria: Ashley/Wrex
Virmire: Garrus/Tali
Ilos and Citadel (You can't switch in between right?): Tali/Wrex

I'm also an adept so I'll have Stasis and lift/throw.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Feros: Garrus/Wrex
Dig Site: Garrus/Wrex
Noveria: Garrus/Wrex
Virmire: Garrus/Wrex
Ilos and Citadel (You can't switch in between right?): Garrus/Wrex

Fixed that up a bit for you. ;)

Actual advice: - Be sure to always take someone who has Decryption and Electronics; being an Adept, you don't have either (unless you picked one as a bonus skill) and that could lock you out of quite a bit of content.

- Taking Liara on the Dig Site mission might be difficult, seeing as that's the mission you pick her up on.

- On Virmire, let Kaiden die because killing Ashley leaves you with basically only one heavy combat capable companion (Wrex). So unless you wanna take Wrex on practically every missi... actually never mind kill Ash

In general, most combinations are fine as long as you have a Tech person in there somewhere.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 28, 2013

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Mass Effect 1 is all about Kaidan/Wrex bro squad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineffiable posted:

Finally, I can start my ME1 insanity playthrough. What's the best squad for each planet?

If you are going for achieves, which guys do you still need to get the achieves for? That should point you in the right direction. My insanity playthrough will be Wrex/Garrus/Adept the entire time.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Christ, you guys weren't kidding - Insanity in this is an absolute joke compared to the previous games. Grenades are the only thing giving me pause. Anyway, just done Omega for the second time, was surprised to find at the end this time that Aria didn't kill Petrovsky. First time I did it, I had to persuade her to let him live and she said after that she didn't know what the gently caress to make of me, this time though, she's totally mellowed and gone all soft. I'm rather disappointed.

Plus I somehow missed that loving engineer's sub-quest this time, most annoying. Much less obvious than the couch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just started insanity. I got annoyed at having to redo most of mars because I had the wrong pistol for Eva Core. At one point I hid in the corner and went to the bathroom. When I came back the battle was nearly done and no one had died. This is like ME1 on easy.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'm not sure why importing a character automatically bumps you up to level 30. I could understand it if you set the game on narrative mode, but otherwise it is totally game breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Haha, does it? That's bizarre. I guess it was too complicated to make your starting level in 3 the same as your ending level in 2, and they figured nobody would mind if they made it an automatic 30 since you have to be skimming through ME2 to not hit the level cap.

• Locked thread