Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Genetic Toaster posted:

As soon as Morrison leaves a title almost everything he introduced is thrown out.

Man, why is that anyway? Other writers can't/are scared to try and live up to his ideas/works/concepts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is kind of mind boggling that Hammond is gonna be a powerful baddie for Superman :psyduck:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Chinaman7000 posted:

What the gently caress, Hector Hammond is a fantastic classy villain name while Mindstorm is one of the worst generic shits I've ever had shoved in my brain oh Jesus who came up with this idea

Whatever you just aren't with it like the cool cats at DC who are totally like in tune with the youth man. You need hip names like Mindstorm and Harvest to grab the youth market.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Whatever you just aren't with it like the cool cats at DC who are totally like in tune with the youth man. You need hip names like Mindstorm and Harvest to grab the youth market.
Whoa, what? You see, I am 15 year old "baller" and this Mindstorm sounds "totes illin'!" Time to get on the DC train, woo woo!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's also being rebooted to being a villain that only uses LEGO robots to commit crimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

Man, why is that anyway? Other writers can't/are scared to try and live up to his ideas/works/concepts?

Sometimes it is because he makes dramatic changes to the status quo and sometimes it is simply that the writers would like to do their own story instead. Morrison has a pretty specific way of writing and not everyone agrees with or enjoys his ideas or concepts. I think it'd be interesting if writers would build off each other, but at the same time there are wonderful stories that exist which flat-out couldn't if someone was forced to keep to a previous writer's ideas.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Most of the time, I get why people don't use Morrison villains. They're usually pretty far out there, and they don't fit neatly into stories that aren't told by him.

But, just once, I wish someone would bring back Solaris, the Tyrant Sun. C'mon! He's an Evil Cyclops Sun from the Far Future, with Evil Sun powers. It writes itself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, Morrison is great but he's kinda a really unique dude. When you mix out-there characters with dramatic shakeups and a very unique writing style you're going to get a lot of cases where the next guy goes 'yea I'm not going to try (and most likely fail) to ape this dude'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mimir posted:

Most of the time, I get why people don't use Morrison villains. They're usually pretty far out there, and they don't fit neatly into stories that aren't told by him.

But, just once, I wish someone would bring back Solaris, the Tyrant Sun. C'mon! He's an Evil Cyclops Sun from the Far Future, with Evil Sun powers. It writes itself.

If they ever wanna do Mogo stories, that'd work as a foe/nemesis.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

If they ever wanna do Mogo stories, that'd work as a foe/nemesis.

If I were a writer with influence and mad with power I'd tell DC and Marvel I want to write a Mogo vs Galactus crossover. Besides the obvious throwdown there'd be exploration of the themes of creation, power, life, death, religion, etc. Depending on ownership of properties I might throw Unicron in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool

Oh man. Are they bringing back his clusterfuck of a backstory?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

I remember when it was just the FF but more hosed up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Who knows, but Hank Henshaw showed on Team 7 like one of the lead scientists of the Majestic Project, and once things went belly up he seemed fused with the machinery.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Cyborg Superman was, is, and will always be a less cool version of Metallo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember when it was just the FF but more hosed up.

That will always be the most insane part of the Death and Return of Superman to me.

"Hmm, who should we make our major villain? The one who changes everything, is part of Superman's revival and Green Lantern's fall. I know! Reed Richard's non-Union Mexican counterpart!"

Although I guess it does fit into Hickman's Reed Richards thing that even in the DC universe, Reed is a dick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That will always be the most insane part of the Death and Return of Superman to me.

"Hmm, who should we make our major villain? The one who changes everything, is part of Superman's revival and Green Lantern's fall. I know! Reed Richard's non-Union Mexican counterpart!"

Although I guess it does fit into Hickman's Reed Richards thing that even in the DC universe, Reed is a dick.

It is in every universe he is a dick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Cyborg Superman was, is, and will always be a less cool version of Metallo.

This is true, but I'll at least accept a neat looking Cyborg Superman like that.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Haha, what? Metallo is like the most boring dude in the universe.

At the very least Henshaw's desire and complete inability to die is somewhat unique in comics.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I like both Metallo and Cyborg Superman a whole lot and am offended by a lot of these posts.

They should team up and buddy system while fighting Supes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Semper Fudge posted:

Haha, what? Metallo is like the most boring dude in the universe.

At the very least Henshaw's desire and complete inability to die is somewhat unique in comics.

Let me tell you about this fellow at Marvel called the Blazing Skull...

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Redesign looks like a mess. That weird Cable & X-force arm he has is silly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool
Michael Bay's Transformers Presents...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

kdrudy posted:

Redesign looks like a mess. That weird Cable & X-force arm he has is silly.

I bet the rest of his body can robot out like that and that he's not just gonna walk around with a spiky right arm.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Yeah, it looks like it's pretty clear that the Tetsuo arm can retract.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I hope he can turn into a car.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ah poo poo, beaten.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if we'll be getting a real answer about if Doomsday beat the crap out of Superman on the N52 or it was completly different. If it doesn't happened I'd love to know the reasoning behind the aspect, I mean you can't impersonate someone that's alive, can you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wonder if we'll be getting a real answer about if Doomsday beat the crap out of Superman on the N52 or it was completly different. If it doesn't happened I'd love to know the reasoning behind the aspect, I mean you can't impersonate someone that's alive, can you?

I'm assuming he's just going to be a different guy because keeping his old backstory involves a lot of Hal Jordan stuff they probably just want to leave forgotten.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's basically just skipping a bunch of stuff so Smeed Smichards as the electronic ghost thing ends up in kryptonian technology and looking like Supes is just a result of that being the DNA available for reconstruction.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They said that this is actually the first time Cyborg Superman is appearing in the DCU, so wrap your mind around that one. Who destroyed Coast City now? Who took over the Manhunters? Who helped form the Sinestro Corps?

Considering GL's history apparently stayed exactly the same, you gotta rewrite a lot of that poo poo now.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh man, Superboy Prime was in on that action too, wasn't he? I'd say bring him back because of how crazy his stories were, but he's just so hugely emblematic of DC's writers and editors attitude of trolling fans because hey, bad press is still press.

If we're going to have an evil Superman, Cyborg Supes is probably good enough. Although his connection to Superman was always so contrived; I think he worked best in JLA level villain team-ups.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

bobkatt013 posted:

It is in every universe he is a dick.

But we at least learn that 616 Reed Richards is a dick who loves his family, which is the one thing keeping him from turning evil.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Adventures of Superman #1 (chapter 1) is now on Comixology for 99 cents. Buy it to support a Superman with trunks, dammit! Oh, and also because it's fun, classic Superman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

Adventures of Superman #1 (chapter 1) is now on Comixology for 99 cents. Buy it to support a Superman with trunks, dammit! Oh, and also because it's fun, classic Superman.

I already did, and just read it. I wish there was a way to just get a subscription so I do not have to worry about forgetting it. I enjoyed it. It seems that Parker gets Superman. That he was trying to help him even when he was fighting. However, it does look like it might get a little repetitive if its just Superman facing test after test.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 30, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugggggh, life would be easier if I forgot the Diamond password when I'm drunk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ugggggh, life would be easier if I forgot the Diamond password when I'm drunk.

Could be worse. Could wake up drunk after a night of drinking and discovered you ordered Chaper One. Also have fun reading a classic Byrne Bid Barda storyline!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who read AC 20. The guy on the backup is supposed to be Zod?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone who read AC 20. The guy on the backup is supposed to be Zod?
Knowing DC, it's always Zod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Knowing DC, it's always Zod.

But what Zod?

• Locked thread