Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

If you were to rank your favorite Squaresoft/Enix games, how many of them would be Final Fantasy's?
I. RAD RACER 2
II. RAD RACER

and that's it.

v That's becuase I wanna dropkick Neku's weepy rear end face

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Not one of you typed The World Ends With You :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

YggiDee posted:

They omitted The Bouncer as well. No taste at all!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

v That's becuase I don't care how much Neku changes, I just wanna dropkick his weepy rear end face.
Wait, he's a lot of things, but 'weepy?'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okay, pouty then. Either way, I hate his character. Oh and everyone else in that game except Shiki and Mr. Hanekoma.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YggiDee posted:

I didn't think it was very good. I like seeing Square try new things, though. Big fan of Threads of Fate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, Rad Racer and Rad Racer 2 are the joke answers, but Threads of Fate is definitely a top five title.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

It's been a while, but I remember Threads of Fate as being ridiculously short, even with both stories combined.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dragon Quest 8 and TWEWY are both better than any Final Fantasy game. Sometimes I wonder if SE are even trying.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Miracon posted:

It's been a while, but I remember Threads of Fate as being ridiculously short, even with both stories combined.

It didn't overstay its welcome. I agree it could have been longer, but the game we got had those minigames in Fancy Mel's, so...

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dragon Quest 8 and TWEWY are both better than any Final Fantasy game. Sometimes I wonder if SE are even trying.

That's heresy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aureon posted:

That's heresy.

Prove me wrong, man. What some call heresy I say is truth!

BREAK YOUR CHAINS RPG PLAYERS! BE FREE!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blame yourself or blame Squeenix.

For real though, the only FF that'd rank for me would be 9. And I actually really like 4 and 6, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aureon posted:

That's heresy.

I don't know about TWEWY but I legit think DQ8 is better than most if not all Final Fantasy games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Einhander is also better than all FF games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

Awesome.

Final Fantasy is overrated, but it's the best RPG gateway drug.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

For real though, the only FF that'd rank for me would be 9. And I actually really like 4 and 6, too.

Basically this, except I'd count maybe Tactics as well. it's be

1) DQ8
2) TWEWY
3) FF9
4) Legend of Dragoon Super Mario RPG then
5) FFT

EDIT: VVV Oh poo poo, I could have sworn that was a SE job. Okay then,

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 28, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

4) Legend of Dragoon (Nostalgia Mostly)
Isn't Legend of Dragoon made by Sony?

Ehrgeiz supremacy, bitches :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you restricted it to the PS1?
Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean Second Story, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story...

See, I always heard great things about Vagrant Story but the last time I read about it this topic people were tearing it a new rear end in a top hat. Was it something to do with the gameplay? I don't remember.

Oh and keeping up with the retro Square talk, what's the game Bahamut Lagoon like? The only thing I recall hearing about it is that FFX is a lot like it or something. I take the "this game ripped off this other game" stuff with a heaping helping of salt so I dunno what the game is really like.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

See, I always heard great things about Vagrant Story but the last time I read about it this topic people were tearing it a new rear end in a top hat. Was it something to do with the gameplay? I don't remember.

Oh and keeping up with the retro Square talk, what's the game Bahamut Lagoon like? The only thing I recall hearing about it is that FFX is a lot like it or something. I take the "this game ripped off this other game" stuff with a heaping helping of salt so I dunno what the game is really like.

FFX is nothing like Bahamut Lagoon.

Vagrant Story had some difficult to discern gameplay elements that didn't go over well when the internet wasn't as prevalent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The gameplay in VS is extremely obtuse, but if you're willing to work with it, it's really cool.

Bahamut Lagoon is a strategy-RPG. It isn't anything like FFX. The closest game to FFX would be Grandia 2 probably.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The closest game to FFX would be...

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaHs1eCiOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The closest game that wasn't a flat-out ripoff that came afterwards. See also: Mega Man X Command Mission.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FFX is nothing like Bahamut Lagoon.

Vagrant Story had some difficult to discern gameplay elements that didn't go over well when the internet wasn't as prevalent.

ImpAtom posted:

The gameplay in VS is extremely obtuse, but if you're willing to work with it, it's really cool.

Bahamut Lagoon is a strategy-RPG. It isn't anything like FFX. The closest game to FFX would be Grandia 2 probably.

Fair enough. I should just not believe what people tell me anymore about Final Fantasy ripping off other games. Another guy told me FFXII ripped off Skies of Arcadia.

Anyway ImpAtom (and anyone else who cares), I'm curious - which of these RPGs would you say had the best story? I do value plot and characters more than just about any other aspect in a game, especially RPGs.

I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Final Fantasy and a good non-FF RPG with a great story seems like a nice way to start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. I should just not believe what people tell me anymore about Final Fantasy ripping off other games. Another guy told me FFXII ripped off Skies of Arcadia.
:psyduck:

I would lovet o know what that guy's logic was. The only thing I can think of would be the air pirates thing, but that isn't a concept Skies of Arcadia invented.

Anyway, have you played Arcadia, speaking of it? If you haven't, it might be a good fit for you - the plot's nothing stellar, but it's at least paced pretty nicely from what I remember, and the characters are really charming. It's a game that's pretty easy to like.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway ImpAtom (and anyone else who cares), I'm curious - which of these RPGs would you say had the best story? I do value plot and characters more than just about any other aspect in a game, especially RPGs.

I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Final Fantasy and a good non-FF RPG with a great story seems like a nice way to start.

Skies of Arcadia probably ripped off half a dozen JRPGs, but it's a unique, fun experience. Let me highly recommend it to you.

If you're looking for a great story, play Xenogears or FF Tactics. If you've played those, try Xenoblade.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

:psyduck:

I would lovet o know what that guy's logic was. The only thing I can think of would be the air pirates thing, but that isn't a concept Skies of Arcadia invented.

Anyway, have you played Arcadia, speaking of it? If you haven't, it might be a good fit for you - the plot's nothing stellar, but it's at least paced pretty nicely from what I remember, and the characters are really charming. It's a game that's pretty easy to like.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Skies of Arcadia probably ripped off half a dozen JRPGs, but it's a unique, fun experience. Let me highly recommend it to you.

If you're looking for a great story, play Xenogears or FF Tactics. If you've played those, try Xenoblade.

I've been meaning to play Skies of Arcadia ever since I got my GameCube. I'll try and keep taht in mind.
I lack a Wii so Xenoblade is not an option for me at the moment. I'll check Amazon to see how much Wii's are going for though.

Xenogears is my obsession. I've played it and beaten it and I fellate it any chance I get.

Tactics is another game I've been meaning to play. I remember back when i first played FFIX I was madly in love with it. I'd get online and say "Kuja is the best manipulator in any FF game ever."

Then someone else would come along and say nope - the best manipulator in FF is someone from Tactics. Started with a D...Delita? Something like that.

But yeah, Tactics is a solid choice. If I can't get a Wii right now, I can give it a try.

EDIT:

Okay, getting a Wii is the least of my worries. A used copy of Xenobalde costs on average about twice as much as the cheapest used Wii's I can find.

What the gently caress. I can buy a whole new copy of Xenogears for about the same price I'd pay for a used copy of Xenoblade. Did the game horrifically bomb in North America so they only made 1000 copies of it or something?

Sorry...I just did not expect to pay around $100+ for a game that came out a couple years ago.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 28, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It wasn't even going to be released in America. Gamestop saw a market and fronted a little cash to convince NoA to press a few copies. It sold out. They got a few more copies pressed. That's all I know.

It's a good game, well worth your time, but it isn't the second coming of Xenogears. It's more like a "Sorry we made Xenosaga, please enjoy this fantastic, stand-alone title."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It wasn't even going to be released in America. Gamestop saw a market and fronted a little cash to convince NoA to press a few copies. It sold out. They got a few more copies pressed. That's all I know.

It's a good game, well worth your time, but it isn't the second coming of Xenogears. It's more like a "Sorry we made Xenosaga, please enjoy this fantastic, stand-alone title."

And enjoy it we did.

First game released in over a decade that seemed to actually justify a running time that flirted with the 100-hour mark. And that ending! An actual satisfying ending from a loving JRPG, surely this is a golden age assuming you overlook all that horrible stuff that's happening.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

And enjoy it we did.

First game released in over a decade that seemed to actually justify a running time that flirted with the 100-hour mark. And that ending! An actual satisfying ending from a loving JRPG, surely this is a golden age assuming you overlook all that horrible stuff that's happening.

Indeed we did, best RPG to come out of the 360/PS3/Wii timeframe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All these TWEWY posts are making me want to buy the iOS version!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

All these TWEWY posts are making me want to buy the iOS version!!

Man I did and I haven't even played it. I just want to give them no reason to NOT expand on that teaser image at the end.

EDIT: VV Play TWEWY on the DS.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 28, 2013

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Two questions

1.) TWEWY...should I play it on 3DS or iOS?

2.) I'm looking to play FF VI. What is the best version and platform to play it on? I'm sure it's been re released a bunch of times by now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Play the DS version of TWEWY.

I'm not to sure about FFVI. I think SNES or GBA is the best.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Camaro83 posted:

Two questions

1.) TWEWY...should I play it on 3DS or iOS?

DS then 3DS.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The TWEWY iPhone port is pretty good - the Lightning Rook trivializes the game more than it used to and there are some bosses that used to require 2-screen collab that just didn't make the move well, but all in all I quite liked it. Never did all the post game stuff, but the main game itself was worth the purchase.

I totally want to play Skies of Arcadia but my gaming time is roughly nil for a while and I'm moving soon and leaving my GameCube :negative:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Both the SNES and GBA versions of FFVI are just fine, but if you can swing it, the GBA version with the following three patches:

Sound Restoration
Color Restoration
Woolsey Slattery Translation Compromise

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

See, I started with Xenosaga Episode 1 back in 2003 and it was because I loved it so much that I bought Xenogears. I've met people who love Gears and hate Saga as well as people who love Saga and hate Gears, but I'll never understand either group. Each has something it did better than the other. Xenosaga did not horribly neglect most of its playable cast like Xenogears did (Rico, Billy and Maria have almost zero plot worth after the arc in which they are introduced, and the less said about Chu-Chu the better) but XG had better and more interesting main characters. (and I don't even hate Shion. Fei's journey and development is just really fascinating)

And it kinda goes on like that for me. I love them both so it seems likely I'll love Xenoblade. It should be here along with my Wii within the next week.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Francois Kofko posted:

The TWEWY iPhone port is pretty good - the Lightning Rook trivializes the game more than it used to

How? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

You spend more time with the equivalent of a light puck than you did before.