Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Haha oh wow I forgot to mention that he COMPLETELY ignores the media's role in all of this too.

edit: OK, not completely:

quote:

There is plenty of blame to go around. I'll even point the finger at myself. Though cognizant of overhyping a player, it's irresponsible not to view myself as a cog in the process.

How courageous of him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dana O'Neil had a slightly more nuanced take on the same topic yesterday.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Wait, you mean to tell me that high school and collegiate sports don't consider it their primary mission to contribute to the well-rounded education of children? :monocle:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Wait, you mean to tell me that high school and collegiate sports don't consider it their primary mission to contribute to the well-rounded education of children? :monocle:

It's almost as if declaring a kid who just graduated high school a year ago "a guaranteed first round NBA draft pick" might warp his way of thinking somehow!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 26, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Multi-billion-dollar industries exert social influence on society that is frequently not in line with the values we aspire to?! Well I'll be!

e: vvv I'm pretty sure that "kids these days" have been "acting entitled" for the entire span of history.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 26, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

By the way, don't a huge majority of kids under age 25 act like entitled shitheads these days? I don't think it's fair to just lambast athletes for this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

By the way, don't a huge majority of kids under age 25 act like entitled shitheads these days? I don't think it's fair to just lambast athletes for this.

I don't think this is anything new.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Shitheaddery takes on different forms in the age of social media.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
You guys remember TJ Simers, the guy who did the offensive hatchet job on Marcus Thames?

Yeah, well, today his excuse for a column was a poorly-written "humorous" assault on the City of Memphis that was light on basketball analysis and pretty heavy on coded terms: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-clippers-20130426,0,141433.column

quote:

It's so violent here they showed a fan dressed in a Clippers T-shirt on the Jumbotron trying to buy a ticket, only to be slapped hard in the face when confronted by the Grizzlies' mascot.

A fan held up a sign inside the arena: "Welcome home Grizz, we got your backs," and I guess folks here are even worried about the safety of the Memphis players.

But I guess it's Memphis' hope the towels will somehow make this a better place to live, although I might suggest handing out bulletproof vests for the next game.

"I think [the Grizzlies] played desperate," said Chauncey Billups, after the announcement that for their own security, all players must take the bus to the hotel, which is located across the street from the arena.

If you're gonna try and be funny about that sort of thing, it's probably in your best interest to actually be funny. And if he's doing it to push back on the (admittedly played-out) story of the "hustle-and-grit Grizzlies from a blue-collar city", he probably should've done so in an intelligent manner. But instead Simers is just a loving hack.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 26, 2013

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Maybe the problem isn't the kids, but the whole rotten system that they're fed into? Naaaaah..lets not tear down that monstrosity.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 26, 2013

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

You guys remember TJ Simers, the guy who did the offensive hatchet job on Marcus Thames?

Yeah, well, today his excuse for a column was a poorly-written "humorous" assault on the City of Memphis that was light on basketball analysis and pretty heavy on coded terms: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-clippers-20130426,0,141433.column

If you're gonna try and be funny about that sort of thing, it's probably in your best interest to actually be funny. And if he's doing it to push back on the (admittedly played-out) story of the "hustle-and-grit Grizzlies from a blue-collar city", he probably should've done so in an intelligent manner. But instead Simers is just a loving hack.

It's kinda heartwarming, though, to see all the LA fans and the Memphis fans come together just to tell Simers to gently caress off and die.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anals of History posted:

It's kinda heartwarming, though, to see all the LA fans and the Memphis fans come together just to tell Simers to gently caress off and die.

TJ Simers: Bringing people together since whenever the gently caress he crawled out of his god forsaken hole.

I will be pleased when he retires or dies.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

quote:

1. Appreciation

Let’s face it: College basketball is a business, and high school basketball isn’t far behind. But it’s not the NBA. These players aren’t professionals, and despite a lot of people and entities making money, playing this game is not a right. College basketball is a privilege. High school and AAU basketball should be considered privileges, as well.

When someone gives you food, fills the stands with thousands of people to watch you or offers a simple “congrats on your success,” there’s a standard of appreciation that should reciprocate that courtesy. “Thank you” is an easy phrase to say.

I can't believe a professional nationally syndicated writer would put these two paragraphs to words in the modern day. You should appreciate being ruthlessly exploited by the NCAA. When someone else makes millions off of your hard work and effort and offers you a ham sandwich in return it is a privilege not a right.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The easy and obvious problem with that is in the first sentence: businesses pay their employees.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Crion posted:

The easy and obvious problem with that is in the first sentence: businesses pay their employees.

Very true. With that second paragraph I'm not sure if he's talking about basketball players or Spartacus.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
College recruiting is the creepiest drat thing in all of sports.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

No, rumored Soviet abortion doping is the creepiest drat thing, but recruiting is pretty skeevy!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Grantland accomplished nothing else, it introduced me to Brian Phillips, who might be my current favorite sportswriter. His most recent long form piece on the Iditarod is fantastic: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9175394/out-great-alone

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

No, rumored Soviet abortion doping is the creepiest drat thing, but recruiting is pretty skeevy!
The East German doping program was pretty horrifying too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

It's up there for sure.

Not that there's anything wrong with say Scholarship Athletes in itself. It's cool to see people who may have not had that chance to go to college get that chance. It's also been tremendous for both women going to college, and also their participation

It makes me sick to see poo poo like "Signing Day" occur though. Along with High School games being broadcast on National Television, and a few other things that occur on the non-college/pro level.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 29, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FuzzySkinner posted:

Along with High School games being broadcast on National Television

The Little League World Series is more about "well there's gently caress all going on in sports in August" than "ok so which of these 12-year-olds can be major leaguers someday" but the excessive coverage of it still bothers me. It was no big deal when they would show the final game but now even the qualifying games just to get to Williamsport are on TV and on the score ticker and ugh.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If you don't like 12 year olds cracking dingers and obvious 15-16 year olds pitching to them then I don't know what to say. Also the crying after a loss.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Spoeank posted:

If you don't like 12 year olds cracking dingers and obvious 15-16 year olds pitching to them then I don't know what to say. Also the crying after a loss.

Yup, nothing creepy about it.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Declan MacManus posted:

I was happier not knowing about this!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

purkey posted:

I was happier not knowing about this!

If it's any consolation, it's only a rumor, mostly centered around the very real abortions that happened in East Germany because of the (legitimate) fear of deformities due to the sheer amount of PEDs that were being ingested at the time.

That's probably not going to make you feel better, huh

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

If it's any consolation, it's only a rumor, mostly centered around the very real abortions that happened in East Germany because of the (legitimate) fear of deformities due to the sheer amount of PEDs that were being ingested at the time.

That actually does make me feel better - at least they had the common decency to not want to bring deformed genetic mutants into the world.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

There was one East German shot-putter named Heidi Krieger who was pumped full of so much poo poo that she started developing male characteristics (facial hair, deeper voice, lack of breasts) that in the 90's she elected to become a he:

quote:

Krieger was systematically doped with steroids from the age of 16 onward. According to Werner Franke and Brigitte Berendonk's 1991 book, Doping: From Research to Deceit, Krieger took almost 2,600 milligrams of steroids in 1986 alone—nearly 1,000 milligrams more than Ben Johnson took during preparations for the 1988 Summer Olympics.

As early as the age of 18, Krieger began developing male characteristics. Eventually, years of doping left her with many masculine traits. By 1997, Krieger underwent sex reassignment surgery and changed his name to Andreas. Krieger had "felt out of place and longed in some vague way to be a boy" even before receiving hormonal treatments, and said in a 2004 New York Times interview that he was "glad that he became a man". But he was also upset that receiving hormones without his consent deprived him of the right to "find out for myself which sex I wanted to be."[3] Krieger's sex change operation dominated Germany's news headlines and focused widespread attention on the legacy of doping in the former East Germany, leading other former athletes to speak out in public for the first time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Little League World Series is more about "well there's gently caress all going on in sports in August" than "ok so which of these 12-year-olds can be major leaguers someday" but the excessive coverage of it still bothers me. It was no big deal when they would show the final game but now even the qualifying games just to get to Williamsport are on TV and on the score ticker and ugh.

It's a mixed thing for me.

On one hand it's tremendous that athletics for children are being promoted in a very positive way. I think that's a good thing.

On the other hand? ESPN shouldn't be covering like it's the loving World Cup/Olympics. I still very distinctly remembering the first weekend of college football being kind of met with shrugged shoulders by ABC/ESPN one year, while Keith Jackson and/or pre-senile/pervert Brent Musburger were being sent to cover that thing. Sorry, but College Football > Little kids playing baseball (unless it's your kid).

Have the qualifying games air on Disney Channel, or one of it's affiliates. I think that's a very fair compromise and would better reach the demographic they'd be reaching for.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah what took you so long to come out of the closet, Doug Collins you coward? I mean, we all know it's so incredibly easy to be a homosexual in a professional locker room. TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH, rear end in a top hat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

Yeah what took you so long to come out of the closet, Doug Collins you coward? I mean, we all know it's so incredibly easy to be a homosexual in a professional locker room. TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH, rear end in a top hat.

Holy gently caress, those commenters.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Holy gently caress, those commenters.

quote:

They dont call Obama the gay-prez for naught - he's coming out next ...

The best.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

quote:

Eisenhower123 2 minutes ago
Pleas make this garbage go away. Blah.blah, blah i am gay, i am gay. Gaf!!!

quote:

Eisenhower123 1 minute ago
Gaf!!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Fun fact: Jurickson Profar played in two Little League World Series for Curaçao, and even at age 12 kid could rake.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Posted without comment:

quote:

"I'm a Christian. I don't agree with homosexuality. I think it's a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is. [ESPN's] L.Z. [Granderson] knows that. He and I have played on basketball teams together for several years. We've gone out, had lunch together, we've had good conversations, good laughs together. He knows where I stand and I know where he stands. I don't criticize him, he doesn't criticize me, and call me a bigot, call me ignorant, call me intolerant.

"In talking to some people around the league, there's a lot Christians in the NBA and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don't want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That's what LZ was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names.

"... Personally, I don't believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an opnely premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you're openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that's a sin. If you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian."

-- Chis Broussard, ESPN, 4/29/2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Please get fired Chris please get fired please get fired

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

Please get fired Chris please get fired please get fired
That would likely just mean more airtime for Stephen A. Smith and Ric Bucher so be very careful what you wish for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crazy Ted posted:

That would likely just mean more airtime for Stephen A. Smith and Ric Bucher so be very careful what you wish for.

I thought Bucher got fired from ESPN, he got another chance?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I think that comment from Broussard is pretty alright unless I'm misunderstanding it. I'm reading it as him saying that he thinks homosexuality is wrong, but that he's not going to give you poo poo about living your life, just like you shouldn't give him poo poo for his opinions that he knows people disagree with. "Believe what you want, just don't be an rear end in a top hat about it" sounds like a reasonable thing to preach. I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay, but I think people have the right to feel that there is, as long as they don't go around shouting human being at people and protesting gay marriage.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

ZerodotJander posted:

I think that comment from Broussard is pretty alright unless I'm misunderstanding it. I'm reading it as him saying that he thinks homosexuality is wrong, but that he's not going to give you poo poo about living your life, just like you shouldn't give him poo poo for his opinions that he knows people disagree with. "Believe what you want, just don't be an rear end in a top hat about it" sounds like a reasonable thing to preach. I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay, but I think people have the right to feel that there is, as long as they don't go around shouting human being at people and protesting gay marriage.

That quote is him actively giving gay people poo poo for living their lives. Also, the idea that it's okay to believe odious poo poo, as if ideology has no relationship to the real world, is toxic as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

ZerodotJander posted:

There is actually something wrong with thinking gay people are agents of evil living in defiance of God, it's called being a bigot?