Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

5er posted:

It's people that want to believe 'tsundere' is a real thing, so that they can believe all the attractive real world people that spit on them are just masking feelings of genuine adoration. Oh and she's got massive jugs.

You've confused Wang Yi with Wang Yuanji! Wang Yi is the depressed one with the huge jugs

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU kickin rad theme though
edit: "I just love the way she craves for revenge it's so dark and yet there something..." -MegaPokemon64

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

5er posted:

It's people that want to believe 'tsundere' is a real thing, so that they can believe all the attractive real world people that spit on them are just masking feelings of genuine adoration. Oh and she's got massive jugs.

Still, as far as tsunderes go, Yuanji is probably one of the least offensive I've seen. She only verbally castigates Zhao, for sane reasons (he's lazy), and she doesn't try to hide that she cares for him. Compare that to, say, Asuka...

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't even notice she was supposed to be a tsundere until a while into the game. I thought she was just a competent leader that Sima Yi was very happy to see marry his idiot son.

edit: also her ground musou sucks (and both of them in 8) but her air musou is great. Same as Wang Yi, actually.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Funny thing is, I'd say that compared to DW7XL Wang Yi, DW8 Wang Yi's clothing isn't less, it just moved down -- so now her exposure is just a cleavage window. :ughh:

The GIG posted:

One of the DLCs better be costumes that just shove Guan Yu's beard on all his kids.
Puh-lease, I've seen fanart where Guan Yinping is going "Daddy! Daaad! Look at me!"... and pulling her hair around and over her shoulders to form a fake beard. (Another fanart had a jealous Xiahou Dun do that with his long hair because he couldn't stand how Cao Cao was so... longing for Guan Yu.)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I question if the people who voted for Wang Yi as a girlfriend really thought through the idea of having a gf who hates everyone and everything good in the world, and lives for nothing but dark, bloody revenge. Her special line for if she is killed by Ma Chao is especially troubling, she says "Look, everyone! I finally killed Ma Chao! You can finally rest...in...peace...." (dies)

edit: in DW anyway. I can't figure out where in the historical record, or the novel, that characterization of her came from. Little help?
In chapter 64 of the novel, she's the wife of one of Cao Cao's officers named Zhao Ang who tells him to fight Ma Chao despite their son Zhao Yue being in Ma Chao's army, and Lady Wang sells her ornaments and brings/prepares/serves food for Zhao Ang's troops in their camp; she (having gone with her husband) ends up the only family member not killed when Ma Chao ends up invading their castle of Li and massacring the inhabitants before Xiahou Yuan's army drove him out, after which Ma Chao decided to go serve Zhang Lu.

(When Ma Chao and Ma Dai defected to Liu Bei, Pang De had remained in Zhang Lu's camp since he'd been too ill to march against Liu Bei in Yi Province; Jia Xu suggested having Cao Cao's inside man slander Pang De to Zhang Lu, so when Pang De was subsequently captured, the lack of trust by Zhang Lu was immediately contrasted with Cao Cao's generous treatment and thus Pang De surrendered.)

Keeshhound posted:

Still, as far as tsunderes go, Yuanji is probably one of the least offensive I've seen. She only verbally castigates Zhao, for sane reasons (he's lazy), and she doesn't try to hide that she cares for him. Compare that to, say, Asuka...
It should be added that you have a walking, talking "reason that Zhao looks so bad" right nearby in Shi (which probably explains the fandom sometimes shipping Sima Shi x Wang Yuanji).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 28, 2013

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I just picked up Warriors Orochi 3 on a whim. First time playing ANY of these types of games.

:stare:

Is there a place in game or otherwise to run down some of the basics? What are all these names next to my characters. What am I unlocking/why am I having tea parties???

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ShadeofDante posted:

So I just picked up Warriors Orochi 3 on a whim. First time playing ANY of these types of games.

:stare:

Is there a place in game or otherwise to run down some of the basics? What are all these names next to my characters. What am I unlocking/why am I having tea parties???
The basics: Square, square, triangle.

Seriously though Orochi wasn't the best one to start with because it assumes (not just for story reasons but also sometimes gameplay reasons, hence those names) that you know who the characters are and their relationships with each other. Anyway raising affinity of certain characters to each other unlocks extra stages, that's why you are having tea parties. Because you know, Zhao and his wife Yuanji need to have a tea party with each other to get to know each other.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

To expand a little bit, you want to always run around camp after levels to talk to people and unlock stages. You may or may not be able to ACCESS some of those stages (they're the specialest most side- of side-missions usually) until you raise the bond between certain officers, but the game will tell you who those people need to be when those stages are unlocked---just look at the Battle Select screen and it'll tell you. The special type listed for an officer (Wonder, Technique, Power, Speed) gives you a general idea of what their basic "special" kinda ability is (look at Move List to see what it is, but generally speaking, Wonder can guard-break for bonus damage, Power isn't staggered by getting hit, and Speed can air-dash, who gives a poo poo about Technique), and sometimes factors into another thing: some characters will have a special skill like Power or Wonder or Speed, which increases the stats of characters in the party at the time who have that type.

To find out what all those skills do (you'll see stuff like Fortune, Efficacy, Toughness) look at Officer Info during or just before the battle screen, it'll tell you. Stuff ranges from "bonus damage to enemy officers for all party members" to "better weapon/item drops" to "bonus True Triple Attack gauge every hundred kills" among others. The effect raises with Proficiency, which is increased by playing the character and killing a buncha dudes, goes up faster the more stars a level has / the higher difficulty / the more dudes you killed. Speaking of Triple Attack: don't be afraid to mash L2+R2 when your blue bar is full, if you're near a couple officers and some minions. The bar fills up pretty quick from random slaughter and it's the best way to get gems (to buy stuff) and crystals (to buy special stuff) and weapons.

But like SS said, square, square, triangle. Guys with names over their heads should basically always be killed first (don't go out of your way to kill faceless scrubs unless there's a specific objective that tells you so, usually, or if you're bored), and when killed will drop a scroll (bonus EXP for whoever picks it up), weapon box (gives every character in the party a weapon, so don't worry about swapping to someone with lovely gear just to grab it; they all benefit!), or an item box (gives you an item, which you can equip two of at a time, anyone can equip any item, and you can have the same items on multiple people at once).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dantes posted:

People really buy that stuff ?

If you didn't put down money for a shirtless Sun Ce than I honestly don't know why you're in this thread.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why the hell isn't Warriors Orochi 3 on a system I own? I thought Koei liked shoving their poo poo all over the place.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

The GIG posted:

One of the DLCs better be costumes that just shove Guan Yu's beard on all his kids.

I want the next DW game to have full character customization (Like the later Tekken games) and give you the ability to put Guan Yu's beard on everyone, regardless of gender.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Why the hell isn't Warriors Orochi 3 on a system I own? I thought Koei liked shoving their poo poo all over the place.
There used to be DW games on the 360 but they did away with that I guess. Actually, now that the PSP is dead (or close), main line DW games might only be on the PS3 for a while.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why the hell isn't Koei putting their games on PC? I know they have DW7 extreme on PC, just port that! :mad:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There used to be DW games on the 360 but they did away with that I guess. Actually, now that the PSP is dead (or close), main line DW games might only be on the PS3 for a while.

PS4 comes out at the end of this year and Tecmo Koei is a confirmed partner. I would not be surprised if they had some kind of launch window Dynasty Warriors game out for it, like I dunno Dynasty Warriors 8 Plus or something.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

WO3 is available on 360 and PS3 (though it's a PSN-exclusive on the latter), and was also re-released for the Wii U.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

U.T. Raptor posted:

WO3 is available on 360 and PS3 (though it's a PSN-exclusive on the latter), and was also re-released for the Wii U.

Also the PSP. So I guess if all you have is a Wii, 3DS and/or a PC you don't get to play it or really just about any other Warriors game for that matter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Jibo posted:

Also the PSP. So I guess if all you have is a Wii, 3DS and/or a PC you don't get to play it or really just about any other Warriors game for that matter.

Pretty sure it's not on the PSP, because I'd have bought it if it was.

Edit: Ah, Japan exclusive. Of course.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure it's not on the PSP, because I'd have bought it if it was.

Edit: Ah, Japan exclusive. Of course.

Oh, I thought it came out in EU at least.

Either way, there's no reason not to play the game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even notice she was supposed to be a tsundere until a while into the game. I thought she was just a competent leader that Sima Yi was very happy to see marry his idiot son.

edit: also her ground musou sucks (and both of them in 8) but her air musou is great. Same as Wang Yi, actually.

I didn't see it until folks dragged it into one of our megathreads :v And yes, I confused Yuanji for Yi :( Shame upon my ancestors.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Re: Three Kingdoms

Up to Episode 38 right now. The way Cao Cao dealt with Yuan Shao was great, but so was Zhao Yun's battle at Changban. That boy's got skills.

The sleeping dragon, Zhuge Liang, is cool too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Charles Martel posted:

Up to Episode 38 right now. The way Cao Cao dealt with Yuan Shao was great, but so was Zhao Yun's battle at Changban. That boy's got skills.

I'm up to 7. Sun Jian's passing was so sad, and Sun Quan took it like a real champ. Felt so bad after that episode.:smith:

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Why the hell isn't Koei putting their games on PC? I know they have DW7 extreme on PC, just port that! :mad:

Speaking of DW7: XL PC, where does a person get that game? Google just turns up a ton of filez. Amazon, Steam, Games for Windows, nobody seems to be offering it, at least as far as google is helping me. I haven't played a warriors game since 5: Empires and looking at the thread made me consider having a look back if it was cheap enough. I have other systems but would rather go PC, I tried DW: Online a while back with a friend but was looking to play something a bit newer.

vvv Crap, I shoulda read more vvv

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 2, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's Japan only.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Apparently DW7+XL has an English fan translation patch out there somewhere on PC.

Charles Martel posted:

Re: Cao Cao -- let us say again: trollface.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm up to 7. Sun Jian's passing was so sad, and Sun Quan took it like a real champ. Felt so bad after that episode.:smith:
For those wondering, watch Sun Quan's debut after Dong Zhuo's advisor Li Ru tries to bribe Sun Jian out of the coalition.

I have to say, does anyone else get the sense that Zhang Fei was written in the 2010 series to be outright on the balance more of a hindrance to Liu Bei than an actual help?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Chortles posted:

I have to say, does anyone else get the sense that Zhang Fei was written in the 2010 series to be outright on the balance more of a hindrance to Liu Bei than an actual help?

He did get a little annoying, but I've since accepted him as the lovable brute.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There's "lovable brute", and then there's "Liu Bei secretly ordering Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang to depose Zhang Fei -- and Guan Yu for good measure -- should they get out of hand when Liu Bei's over in Wu territory".

I guess stuff like that is why I'm left reading The Ravages of Time, I can stomach its version of the Peach Garden Trio much more.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Chortles posted:

There's "lovable brute", and then there's "Liu Bei secretly ordering Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang to depose Zhang Fei -- and Guan Yu for good measure -- should they get out of hand when Liu Bei's over in Wu territory".

I guess stuff like that is why I'm left reading The Ravages of Time, I can stomach its version of the Peach Garden Trio much more.

Oh, I didn't get that far or missed that part. Interesting.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah, Three Kingdoms portrays Guan Yu and Zhang Fei as much less like noble heroes and more like a pair of bros whose noble intentions are primarily due to Liu Bei ruboff.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

Yeah, Three Kingdoms portrays Guan Yu and Zhang Fei as much less like noble heroes and more like a pair of bros whose noble intentions are primarily due to Liu Bei ruboff.
It should be added that after the brothers were separated by the defeat in Xuzhou (following Xiapi), in Cao Cao's employ Guan Yu holds strongly to the "noble" image -- at least in public and to Zhang Liao (the only person I'm aware of that he has any private conversation with in Cao Cao's force) -- but Zhang Fei on the other hand as magistrate-mayor of Gucheng...

The worst part is, the first video and the first ninety seconds of the second video seem to be Zhang Fei sober.
:psyduck:

Trivia: Apparently the guy who appears at 48 seconds into the second video has an absurd lot of identical twins or Chinese magical clones. :haw:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

If I played the demo of Next and hated all the stupid touch screen stuff, should I even bother getting the full game? I want something to scratch that DW itch and having a handheld version seems like a decent idea but if a lot of the game uses those dumb elements then I'm not interested.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ChaosReaper posted:

If I played the demo of Next and hated all the stupid touch screen stuff, should I even bother getting the full game? I want something to scratch that DW itch and having a handheld version seems like a decent idea but if a lot of the game uses those dumb elements then I'm not interested.

Get Warriors Orochi 2 instead.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

ChaosReaper posted:

You get at least one touch screen minigame by level without fault. At LEAST one.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The GIG posted:

Get Warriors Orochi 2 instead.

I must second this. The PSP version of Orochi 2 is very solid and has a ton of game for you to chew through. I'll never forgive NEXT for having the main enemy officer in every single level be fought via the stupid touch screen duel. Every. Single. Time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Scyther posted:

I must second this. The PSP version of Orochi 2 is very solid and has a ton of game for you to chew through. I'll never forgive NEXT for having the main enemy officer in every single level be fought via the stupid touch screen duel. Every. Single. Time.

Touch screen EVERYTHING is what I'm not loving forgiving that game for. The next 'NEXT' better clearly state that touchscreen gimmick poo poo is either gone or optional.

The really pathetic thing too is that you can't navigate menu options via touch. That was absurd.

All that being said... I still put about 100 hours into the game :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

Touch screen EVERYTHING is what I'm not loving forgiving that game for. The next 'NEXT' better clearly state that touchscreen gimmick poo poo is either gone or optional.
If it follows the pattern of other sequels to launch games on hardware with a gimmick like that, I bet it will.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

If it follows the pattern of other sequels to launch games on hardware with a gimmick like that, I bet it will.

That's sadly a fair presumption. But what I would personally like to see, is how touch screen mechanics were implemented on the 3DS, Samurai Warriors Chronicles. That game was a launch title and it was loving awesome! Give me a few generals afield that I can toggle between by touching portraits. Give me a battle map that I can touch an icon and get some data feedback.

I think the worst gimmick moment that NEXT had wasn't even touch related, it was every minigame that exploited the gyrometer. STEER A HORSE LIKE A DRUNK GRANNY THAT IS HALF BLINDED BY HER OWN URINE! AIM A BALLISTA BY WHIPPING YOUR VITA EVERYWHERE GIVING PEOPLE ON THE BUS THE IMPRESSION YOU'RE HAVING A SEIZURE LIKE THOSE GAME WARNINGS ADVISE YOU ABOUT! Want to change the settings and steer? Sure! Just hope you enjoy living in a hell of a poorly calibrated, hypersensitive right analog stick because we will force you to use the gyro gimmick UNTIL YOU loving LOVE IT!

I haven't even touched the game in a year and yet my petty outrage can boil fresh as it had then. I need better hobbies I think.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Your wishes for a gimmick-less DW on Vita might be granted, I've been told that the Vita version of Pirate Warriors 2 has a distinct lack of NEXTian "features".

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Your wishes for a gimmick-less DW on Vita might be granted, I've been told that the Vita version of Pirate Warriors 2 has a distinct lack of NEXTian "features".

Hooray! Though I was kind of hoping for an Empires or Orochi NEXT thing. I'll take what I can get.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
DW8 Wu DLC and a preview of Shu's are up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
No one touches Dynasty Warriors for weird DLC costumes. No one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It took me a second to realize what was actually different about SSX's costume.