Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't care for pc gaming so it sounds like my best bet. The framerate didn't bother me in the demo so is that the worst it gets?

the skies of arcadia level is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the skies of arcadia level is the worst

You spelled Billy Hatcher wrong.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

All the people talking smack about Kid Icarus a couple pages ago break my heart, it's a great game that's really not that hard, especially after the first stage, as long as you take it slow. I've never even considered grinding in this game either. The 3D Classics version actually makes it easier too, but it also cuts out New Game+

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well off the top of my head:

1. Nights level is the worst. It is the busiest, prettiest level but the framerate can't be higher than 20. Same goes for Skies of Arcadia. Thankfully both these levels are pretty open and easy so it doesn't hinder you or anything.
2. Billy Hatcher has a pretty lovely framerate. This is not aided by the level being loving terrible.
3. Burning rangers has a consistent framerate, but it is the worst map I've ever experienced in a kart racer. Even ~pro~ videos of people with insane times contain a lot of crashes and grinding against invisible walls.

I wish that at the very least 30 loving FPS was legally required or something. This ain't the 90s I didn't pay hundreds of dollars for an HD box and HD games so they could run like they were on an N64.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 28, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I guess I don't care much about framerate because I never noticed any trouble with it in single player.

I hate the Billy Hatcher level. Especially on higher difficulty.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Burning Depths is too narrow and twisty, but it's hard to hate when youre hearing this the whole time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctdUDUgxIqs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I guess I don't care much about framerate because I never noticed any trouble with it in single player.

With Sonic I really feel the levels are just too loving busy. Like do you really need 100 HD fully animated things going on in the background? Not only is it a big impact on the framerate but it's distracting, it feels like George Lucas was behind the art direction, trying to cram as much poo poo as technologically possible into every scene.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's why I suggested doing it with lesser known titles. For Nintendo it'd be like releasing Uniracers for 30/99 cents.

Or never at any price due to Rockstar ripping off Pixar.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

parasyte posted:

Or never at any price due to Rockstar ripping off Pixar.

Or Pixar being jerks, depending on how you look at it.

I looked it up and oh my god:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/06/a-reason-to-hate-pixar-uniracers-on-the-snes-is-a-masterpiece/

This makes me really sad I love Uniracers :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
A game featuring unicycles looked too much like a short movie featuring unicycles.

I hate lawsuits.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Has anybody else had a charging issue where your gamepad stops charging at one outlet, and changing to another outlet will let it work (for x amount of time...then you have to switch back to the first outlet or another outlet)? I haven't touched my Wii U in months, but I've had this issue since release. I went to pick my gamepad up today from the cradle, and it had 0 charge; had to switch to another outlet and it started charging fine. Not sure if it's a charging cable issue or gamepad issue. Going to try and re-set the battery to see if it makes any difference.

The worst part about the issue is it's really random. It might start charging fine, then I'll come back a few hours later and see that it hasn't charged at all. And the switching outlet issue baffles me. I can't simply unplug/replug the cable into the same outlet; I have to move to another outlet entirely (note: the issue isn't with the outlets. Other devices plugged into them are fine).

If anyone can relate, I'd appreciate any input on the problem. It's irritating enough for me to want to get a replacement, but sporadic enough where I can't nail down exactly what is going on.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A game featuring unicycles looked too much like a short movie featuring unicycles.

I hate lawsuits.

I've looked around a bit and can't find any references to the court documents; I have a feeling it's not as simple as that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bobnumerotres posted:

With Sonic I really feel the levels are just too loving busy. Like do you really need 100 HD fully animated things going on in the background? Not only is it a big impact on the framerate but it's distracting, it feels like George Lucas was behind the art direction, trying to cram as much poo poo as technologically possible into every scene.
I agree with this, and the business of the levels and the high difficulty level made it really hard for me to get people who enjoy casually playing Mario Kart into it, so most of my time with the game was spent in single player and that just didn't do it for me. I appreciated what the game tried to do but I really strongly disagree with anyone saying it's miles ahead of modern Mario Kart.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Surlaw posted:

I agree with this, and the business of the levels and the high difficulty level made it really hard for me to get people who enjoy casually playing Mario Kart into it, so most of my time with the game was spent in single player and that just didn't do it for me. I appreciated what the game tried to do but I really strongly disagree with anyone saying it's miles ahead of modern Mario Kart.

I think it's a great compliment to Mario Kart. I liked it better than MK7 but I didn't put in anywhere near as much time as I put into MKWii.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Boten Anna posted:

Or Pixar being jerks, depending on how you look at it.

I looked it up and oh my god:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/06/a-reason-to-hate-pixar-uniracers-on-the-snes-is-a-masterpiece/

This makes me really sad I love Uniracers :(

Wow. I never realized there were only 300,000 copies of Uniracers ever made! Uniracers was one of the... dozen or so SNES games I actually owned (as opposed to renting over and over). Odd that of all really limited print run games, that's the one I got my hands on.

I loved it. Definitely one of my favorite SNES games, for all the reasons that article said, pretty much!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I used to draw my own goddamn Uniracers tracks in a notebook. It was easy, because the tracks were just lines. :shobon:

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Sorry, one additional question:

The port on the gamepad charging cradle (where you plug in the charging cable) is a bit loose. That is, when plugging into the port, there is a little bit of "wobble" to it. Is this normal, or should it be firm?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's got a little system of notches and guide-wheels that cause it to settle into place even if placed imprecisely, the tradeoff being that it doesn't firmly click into place.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's got a little system of notches and guide-wheels that cause it to settle into place even if placed imprecisely, the tradeoff being that it doesn't firmly click into place.

Ah, sorry, I meant "this" going into "this":

I should note that plugging the cable directly into the gamepad = no "wobble." It's just this port that seems to be a bit loose.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I went to download the Rayman Challenges thing, and the music suddenly cut out while "processing." The home button wouldn't do anything, and then the whole store locked up and then the TV and gamepad started both making a horn/buzz noise. Not good! Especially since it had a thread to not power off the console :ohdear: The hard drive activity light was still blinking so I gave it a little time and everything went back to normal.

So if this happens to anybody, just wait it out, I guess.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

I've got a problem with my gamepad where it didn't seem to be charging when it was plugged in. After a while, I opened up the back and took the battery out, then put it back in, just in case something came loose. After putting the battery back in (repeated times) the gamepad won't turn on at all and it still won't charge. So now it's unusable. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

I've got a problem with my gamepad where it didn't seem to be charging when it was plugged in. After a while, I opened up the back and took the battery out, then put it back in, just in case something came loose. After putting the battery back in (repeated times) the gamepad won't turn on at all and it still won't charge. So now it's unusable. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

This happened to me last month and I had to send it to Nintendo to get it repaired. The whole process was pretty smooth, I mailed it to them on a Saturday and had it back by Thursday.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What do you mean by "didn't seem to be charging"? Was it actually continually losing its charge as shown in the UI, or was the orange light just not lighting up? That light will turn off as soon as the Gamepad reaches a full charge, even if it's plugged in.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

What do you mean by "didn't seem to be charging"? Was it actually continually losing its charge as shown in the UI, or was the orange light just not lighting up? That light will turn off as soon as the Gamepad reaches a full charge, even if it's plugged in.

It said that the battery was low, so I plugged it in - but the orange light didn't light up. So I thought I'd try taking the battery out and putting it back in again, and now it doesn't turn on at all.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

It said that the battery was low, so I plugged it in - but the orange light didn't light up. So I thought I'd try taking the battery out and putting it back in again, and now it doesn't turn on at all.

If it's similar to the issue I was experiencing, it might help to unplug the AC adapter from the outlet you're using, and try another outlet instead. Sounds stupid, but I've had a lot of luck with it.

And make sure the little arrow is showing on top when you plug this back in. Otherwise, it's upside-down.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2013

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

XOIC of Radishes posted:

If it's similar to the issue I was experiencing, it might help to unplug the AC adapter from the outlet you're using, and try another outlet instead. Sounds stupid, but I've had a lot of luck with it.

And make sure the little arrow is showing on top when you plug this back in. Otherwise, it's upside-down.

Yeah, I've tried a different outlet and it's all hooked up right. I'm going to guess this is has something to do with having left the gamepad unplugged and lying idle for a week or so. Still, that shouldn't kill a battery.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Yeah, I've tried a different outlet and it's all hooked up right. I'm going to guess this is has something to do with having left the gamepad unplugged and lying idle for a week or so. Still, that shouldn't kill a battery.

Interesting that you should say that. I'm wondering if the issue I'm experiencing might have something to do with the gamepad just being left idle for X number of days, even when hooked up/on the cradle (since it automatically stops charging once it's initially "full"). It's been months since I touched it which would explain why it may have lost its charge in the interim.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Interesting that you should say that. I'm wondering if the issue I'm experiencing might have something to do with the gamepad just being left idle for X number of days, even when hooked up/on the cradle (since it automatically stops charging once it's initially "full"). It's been months since I touched it which would explain why it may have lost its charge in the interim.

I guess just to chime in, my gamepad stopped charging while I was obsessed with Monster Hunter so it was getting a ton of use.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Emily Rogers expanded on that stuff she hinted at a few days ago re: 3DS and Wii U VC crossover.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/28/the-future-of-the-eshop-and-virtual-console/

She claims you'll be able to play your Wii U VC games on the 3DS (not all of them) for yet another small :airquote:upgrade:airquote: fee (basically just re-buying the game at a discount).

I have pretty much no interest in paying yet more money to play the games I already own on the go, but hoped it meant a unified account system was coming soon to support this but she shot that down :sigh:

quote:

On another note: Some people have asked me if this means games will be linked to an account. I don’t think these two things are related. Linking one piece of hardware to another piece of hardware doesn’t require an account.

e: I guess she says the transfer works both ways, but again only if both systems support the game.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 28, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Crowbear posted:

She claims you'll be able to play your Wii U VC games on the 3DS (not all of them) for yet another small :airquote:upgrade:airquote: fee (basically just re-buying the game at a discount).

I'm sure any minute now someone will chime in that this is all to fund the cost of "perfect emulation" or some other garbage excuse. I guess they are determined to make Virtual Console as unattractive as possible. Fortunately, at the rate they will likely be adding new titles to the Wii U's VC, I will likely not even need to worry about buying the games I want any time soon (Come on Super Mario RPG, Axelay, Cybernator, Metal Warriors, Contra 3, and Turtles in Time :sigh: )

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm sure any minute now someone will chime in that this is all to fund the cost of "perfect emulation" or some other garbage excuse. I guess they are determined to make Virtual Console as unattractive as possible. Fortunately, at the rate they will likely be adding new titles to the Wii U's VC, I will likely not even need to worry about buying the games I want any time soon (Come on Super Mario RPG, Axelay, Cybernator, Metal Warriors, Contra 3, and Turtles in Time :sigh: )
That rate being one day a few days ago?
I just want to see my metroids, cybernator, and ogre battle 64 on my baby screen and im set.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Junkie Disease posted:

That rate being one day a few days ago?
I just want to see my metroids, cybernator, and ogre battle 64 on my baby screen and im set.

Oh man Ogre Battle 64. I love that game so much, I've finished it 10+ times over the years.

Now I'm sad that N64 games are going to take them forever to get on the Wii U VC :saddowns:

e:Wait they released it on Wii VC?! I guess that was after I checked out on Nintendo's digital stuff a few years back.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 28, 2013

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crowbear posted:

Oh man Ogre Battle 64. I love that game so much, I've finished it 10+ times over the years.

Now I'm sad that N64 games are going to take them forever to get on the Wii U VC :saddowns:

Hey man it still looks great in Wii mode. Now if square enix got off their asses and made a low fantasy ogre tactics or battle rather then more high fantasy FF tactics for my 3ds or wiiu they would start making money again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Hahaha even more dumb nickel and dime bullshit for literally no reason. I hope her info is wrong. Any other fake taxes they want to tack on? How about a digital rights handling fee?

e: Also, WOW that daily challenge in Rayman gets tough around 800 meters in. I'm guessing the top 10 on the board have re-played this 300 times since it's mostly memorization, but YIKES it gets stressful as gently caress!! The best I've managed in the daily/weekly challenges is Silver.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 28, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hahaha even more dumb nickel and dime bullshit for literally no reason. I hope her info is wrong. Any other fake taxes they want to tack on? How about a digital rights handling fee?

e: Also, WOW that daily challenge in Rayman gets tough around 800 meters in. I'm guessing the top 10 on the board have re-played this 300 times since it's mostly memorization, but YIKES it gets stressful as gently caress!! The best I've managed in the daily/weekly challenges is Silver.

The platforming based challenges are made a lot easier if you played the time trials in Rayman Origins. Doing those, you figure out a lot of tricks to help you go as fast as possible.

I managed to get a diamond in today's one with a little over 1700m. I think you can react to most of the obstacles but after about 1400 it came down to memorisation for me because I kept dying at each new obstacle. I really hope in the full game there's an endless version of Murfy's Dungeon with randomised obstacles. I could play that forever.

I have to say though that the challenge mode has really got me leaning towards picking up the Wii U version once it's out in September. I was gonna go with PS3 originally but I think this has convinced me. It was cool of Ubisoft to release it for free like this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Ah, sorry, I meant "this" going into "this":

I should note that plugging the cable directly into the gamepad = no "wobble." It's just this port that seems to be a bit loose.

Mine has done that since I got it. I think it's completely normal. The port just moves around.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mine has done that since I got it. I think it's completely normal. The port just moves around.

Much appreciated!

I went ahead and set up a repair order with Nintendo. I played a bunch of Nintendo Land today, and even though the gamepad was plugged in and charging, eventually the charging light turned off (not from orange to blue; just off). Sure enough, even though it was still plugged in, the battery was draining. I unplugged the cord for 2 minutes from the wall/gamepad, reconnected them, and it went back to charging. Not sure if the problem is with the cord or the gamepad, so it all goes back!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I liked Zelda II. I wish Nintendo would try it again but maybe with a different character. Maybe make it a Sheik game where you level up your songs and skills.

Try Battle of Olympus, it's basically Zelda II but good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

drat, this Rayman Challenge App makes me forgive Ubisoft for anything :stare: I will buy Legends at full price just to show my support. What an awesome company to release an "I'm sorry" like this and charge nothing for it.

I'm lost; what were they apologizing for? (Serious question)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'm lost; what were they apologizing for? (Serious question)

Basically the week before it was going to be released, Ubisoft delayed it until September and announced that it was going to be ported to the 360 and PS3 as well (which is what the 7 month delay was for).

• Locked thread