Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

So, I've spent a few hours searching various android forums, trying various things to try to fix this, but NOTHING seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? I've uninstalled and cleaned up enough old junk to bring me to somewhere around 8.5 gigs, but I'm still getting that error. I seem to be able to install anything from the market EXCEPT one of the apps that are failing to update.

Have you tried clearing their data or uninstalling them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yes. I expected gone as far as to clear data, uninstall, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, and reboot. From there, I can't even install the app again.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

Yes. I expected gone as far as to clear data, uninstall, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, and reboot. From there, I can't even install the app again.

You cleared data/cache of the Play Store too? If you're rooted, check /data/app to see if there are any files for those apps left over after you've uninstalled them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XIII posted:

So, I've spent a few hours searching various android forums, trying various things to try to fix this, but NOTHING seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? I've uninstalled and cleaned up enough old junk to bring me to somewhere around 8.5 gigs, but I'm still getting that error. I seem to be able to install anything from the market EXCEPT one of the apps that are failing to update.

What phone and what version of Android are you on? Just in case you have a separate app partition that's low on space

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Nexus 7 on 4.2.2

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You cleared data/cache of the Play Store too? If you're rooted, check /data/app to see if there are any files for those apps left over after you've uninstalled them.

Tried that. Even downgraded the play store and tried from there. I am rooted, but I haven't found any old files for them. Even installed and ran SD Maid

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

^Nexus 7 on 4.2.2

Tried that. Even downgraded the play store and tried from there. I am rooted, but I haven't found any old files for them. Even installed and ran SD Maid

At this point it'd probably be less of a headache to back up all of your apps and wipe your data partition and hope that fixes the problem. Make a nandroid backup you can revert to if it doesn't fix the problem.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

At this point it'd probably be less of a headache to back up all of your apps and wipe your data partition and hope that fixes the problem. Make a nandroid backup you can revert to if it doesn't fix the problem.

Yeah, I think that's what is going to come down to.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you install remotely from the web store? Probably not but worth a go.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm trying to find a music player for android that can be remote controlled by another android device but I'm not having any luck. Specifically I'm trying to hook an old HTC Incredible 2 to my stereo and control it with either a tablet or another phone via wifi.

I found that XBMC does exactly what I'm looking for but I'm having trouble maintaining a connection either due to it's being so new or more likely, due to the Inc 2 not being beefy enough to run XBMC reliably.

The only other option I found was a remote called Music Remote, which works, but only supports playlists and not browsing of albums or the creation of playlists.

I also tried looking at some of the more popular music players but had no luck finding any that could control their android player from an android device.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to come up with this idea but my google-fu is weak and not coming up with any answers.

Any chance somebody here could point me in the right direction?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Have you looked at BubbleUPnP?

It has its own local server as well as working as a player and DLNA control point between two other DLNA devices.
Some of the listed features suggest that it supports what you are looking for:
- UPnP Media Server: play your local phone/tablet media to other devices or to your Android device (standalone media player). Browse and play your local phone/tablet media from other devices (PS3, WMP, ...). Able to browse the SD Card. Google Music and Dropbox streaming supported
- UPnP renderer: control media playback of your android device from another UPnP Control point

And as far as I can see, you should be able to check everything out within the limits of the free version.

I use it all the time to play music between my NAS and my Denon stereo (both DLNA enabled) and the only times I see any kind of trouble, is usually due to my Nexus S being an old non-responsive piece of plastic.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Why not just buy a Logitech Bluetooth music receiver and hook that up to your stereo? Seems a lot less ridiculous than what you're proposing. I haven't had any issues with mine.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

theradiostillsucks posted:

Why not just buy a Logitech Bluetooth music receiver and hook that up to your stereo? Seems a lot less ridiculous than what you're proposing. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Thank you for posting that combination of keywords, I've been looking for one of these for a while but didn't know what the hell to call it so my searches on Google just kept turning up bluetooth speakers.

I take it you're referring to this product, or something very much like it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Adapter-Bluetooth/dp/B0054QK514

Seems like a reasonable price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

^Nexus 7 on 4.2.2

Which apps specifically ate you having trouble with?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

No go. Hadn't thought of that though, so it was worth a shot

LastInLine posted:

Which apps specifically ate you having trouble with?

Instagram, Chrome Beta, Facebook Messenger, and Hungry Shark. I've updated at least 10 other apps and installed close to the same number without issue. I just can't update (or reinstall) those. I even tried installing an inverted Instagram. This leads me to believe that there is some leftover files that are preventing it, but I can't find anything. A lot of responses to this question on the various forums have said look for any leftover odex files, but there aren't any.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you looked at BubbleUPnP?

I had not but after playing with it I think it'll do the job beautifully. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and have had nothing but trouble. Thanks a ton!

It's hardly a ridiculous (or unusual) setup. I have a whole house audio system that requires an audio source in the basement. It's just easier to say stereo than have to explain what the whole setup is.

I didn't know bluetooth music receivers existed though and I appreciate the recommendation. Unfortunately it won't work with what I have now but might come in handy in the future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Instagram, Chrome Beta, Facebook Messenger, and Hungry Shark. I've updated at least 10 other apps and installed close to the same number without issue. I just can't update (or reinstall) those. I even tried installing an inverted Instagram. This leads me to believe that there is some leftover files that are preventing it, but I can't find anything. A lot of responses to this question on the various forums have said look for any leftover odex files, but there aren't any.
That's exactly what I was going to tell you to do. Have you looked in /data for orphan data? You'll see various app- folders in there with things named after the package names. Since you've uninstalled the apps you shouldn't see any them still around.

Do you have Titanium backups for when you have to start over? It's looking more and more likely that's going to be your only option.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

rolleyes posted:

Thank you for posting that combination of keywords, I've been looking for one of these for a while but didn't know what the hell to call it so my searches on Google just kept turning up bluetooth speakers.

I take it you're referring to this product, or something very much like it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Adapter-Bluetooth/dp/B0054QK514

Seems like a reasonable price.

That's the one. Belkin and Monoprice also make them, but the Logitech seems to have the best reviews overall. It's pretty brilliant to have your entire music collection accessible from your phone and to be able to stream it directly to your stereo.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

It's hardly a ridiculous (or unusual) setup. I have a whole house audio system that requires an audio source in the basement. It's just easier to say stereo than have to explain what the whole setup is.

I didn't know bluetooth music receivers existed though and I appreciate the recommendation. Unfortunately it won't work with what I have now but might come in handy in the future.

I wasn't trying to come across as a dick, without details the Bluetooth receiver sounded like a more direct means to accomplish what you are looking to do.

theradiostillsucks fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 28, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

That's the one. Belkin and Monoprice also make them, but the Logitech seems to have the best reviews overall. It's pretty brilliant to have your entire music collection accessible from your phone and to be able to stream it directly to your stereo.

Sweet, I'm going to order one of these to connect to my A/V receiver.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Absolutely - there's a big 'INSTALL' button on each app's store page. If you have more than one device, it'll let you choose which one to install to.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
New Kindle UI looks swag as gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Do you have Titanium backups for when you have to start over? It's looking more and more likely that's going to be your only option.

I'm weird and use Super Manager to backup apps and data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Absolutely - there's a big 'INSTALL' button on each app's store page. If you have more than one device, it'll let you choose which one to install to.
Tunga meant as a solution to his problem, not in general.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Are there any really basic money tracking apps? Something I can just throw expenditure and money received into and it'll keep track of what I have remaining, I don't need any breakdowns by categories or even a history to look back up, just an app that would be the equivalent of banging +X or -X into a calculator would be fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jalopybrown posted:

Are there any really basic money tracking apps? Something I can just throw expenditure and money received into and it'll keep track of what I have remaining, I don't need any breakdowns by categories or even a history to look back up, just an app that would be the equivalent of banging +X or -X into a calculator would be fine.

I've used DroidWallet for a little over a year and I really like it. At my old job, the bulk of my money came in the form of cash tips, so I needed a way to keep track of how much I had stuffed in the mattress back at the apartment. I still use it now because I like knowing how much I have and what I'm spending it on

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

jalopybrown posted:

Guilt looks kinda nice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I also tried out Expense Manager and it would be a good candidate for you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.markushi.expensemanager

I went back to DroidWallet though since it had months of my expenses already logged.

Also, I did a factory reset on my 7 and all is well. The trouble apps all installed/updated without issue.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

Guilt looks kinda nice.
The idea looks great but it seems there's no way to add income, only expenses otherwise it would be pretty much what I need

XIII posted:

I went back to DroidWallet though since it had months of my expenses already logged.

Also, I did a factory reset on my 7 and all is well. The trouble apps all installed/updated without issue.

Just checked this out and after purchasing the extra features it fits my needs thanks, the widget is especially handy.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

XIII posted:

I'm also using this and can't recommend it enough. I can't believe what I was spending on food and drinks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cacahuate posted:

I'm also using this and can't recommend it enough. I can't believe what I was spending on food and drinks!

No joke. I created an expense category specifically for Red Bull. Pretty depressing at the end of the month.

App question:
Is My Tracks the best app for logging my bike rides?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

XIII posted:

App question:
Is My Tracks the best app for logging my bike rides?
I'd recommend you try a community-based one like Strava for encouragement and comparison. Endomondo is popular too.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
I have a blocked number calling me at all hours with nothing in the other end, I think it's an auto dialer gone mad or something. Any recommendations for an app that can do something about it? Ideally unblocking the caller id if possible so I can blacklist that number

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Doodarazumas posted:

I have a blocked number calling me at all hours with nothing in the other end, I think it's an auto dialer gone mad or something. Any recommendations for an app that can do something about it? Ideally unblocking the caller id if possible so I can blacklist that number

If you're rooted, Root Call Blocker Pro is the best.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Doodarazumas posted:

As far as I understand it, you can't unblock a number using your phone, but you may be able to blanket reject calls from blocked/private numbers with your service provider.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Root Call Blocker works, if you're not rooted Mr. Number does an okay job.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

XIII posted:

Really digging expense manager. The layout is simple and beautiful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doodarazumas posted:

The latest CM10.1 nightlies have this built into the dialer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any other Chomp users that paid to have the ads removed, suddenly have them show back up? I paid to remove them years ago and haven't had an issue since. To make it worse, I got a notification from them telling me about a promotion they're running for the license! I emailed support, so hopefully it's just a hiccup.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Maker Of Shoes posted:

GPS is only polled if an app requests it so turning GPS off saves zero battery. WiFi power consumption is fairly negligible even if you aren't connected to a network plus Google uses it for aGPS location so it does more good by being left on. Cell tower triangulation can only nail location down to a few miles so location based apps would be pretty pointless.

As for an app, goons recommend Cerberus. IIRC the licence is 3 Euros.

I haven't exactly tried the android version of Prey but the one of my laptop works wonders. I accidentally turned on "lost device" in the control panel for prey and after a while I got an email saying "Picture of the thief!" or something along those lines. My laptop was taking pictures of me and emailing them to myself. :v:

But that cerberus app seems nice. Might be worth having to protect my lovely N4 and I didn't know about the GPS thing. I'll leave it on and see if it really does impact battery life or not when not used.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

Any other Chomp users that paid to have the ads removed, suddenly have them show back up? I paid to remove them years ago and haven't had an issue since. To make it worse, I got a notification from them telling me about a promotion they're running for the license! I emailed support, so hopefully it's just a hiccup.

Welp, since I donated via PayPal way back, I have to repurchase a license. They even have the record of me paying. It's only $2, so I'll do it, but what the gently caress.

Edit: glad I got busy and didn't pay for it they went away

XIII fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Is there any way to remove news items from Google Now? I searched for the LA Lakers to see if they were going to make the playoffs a few weeks back. GN keeps giving me cards with news stories about the Lakers (I hate the Lakers).

I've gone to the my stuff setting which doesn't list the Lakers as one of my teams. Whenever a news card comes up I click the information button and hit no when it asks if I want to receive updates on this topic.

Is there something I'm missing to remove this from my preferences?

• Locked thread