Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Captain Mediocre posted:

I never really got this argument. The news doesn't prioritise stories by the number of people who've died, but by the most surprising events. If it really was prioritised by death count the news would be... very weird.

Considering the amount of time devoted to the Boston marathon bombings on bbc news 24 (or whatever it goes by these days) the past week you'd think not much had happened in the rest of the world, keep in mind that it wasn't just on for one day, 2 pretty powerful earthquakes in short succession aren't exactly unsurprising. Plus the reason why wasn't because it was the most surprising event it was the event that provided them with the easiest obtainable footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Captain Mediocre posted:

I never really got this argument. The news doesn't prioritise stories by the number of people who've died, but by the most surprising events. If it really was prioritised by death count the news would be... very weird.

Indeed. If news gave proportionate coverage to events based on death toll then the Boston bombings would have been sidelined news on a day when hundreds of Iraqis were killed or injured in a mass bombing spree involving the co-ordinated detonation of dozens of bombs across the country simultaneously. But brown people so who cares?

I imagine even in the week of the Boston bombings more Americans were murdered with legally owned firearms than died during the bomb attacks. But their deaths aren't internationally newsworthy because there was no cool footage of them getting killed.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

If only they had a channel with a large number of hours dedicated to news broadcasts...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The thing is, the type of people who watch 24 hour news don't give a gently caress what happens in Syria or Iran or Bangladesh when bad things happen. When it happens in Boston it's NEW and EXCITING and makes 'good news'. They're just doing it because that's what the majority of people want, which is the sad truth.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I know I'm really late to this, but has anyone been watching Toughest Place to be A...? I was put off by the lovely name, but this is actually a really wonderful show. The premise is that they get a British person to do the same job in a country where the job is exceedingly more difficult. For instance, a British Taxi driver had to work in Mumbai where his cab wasn't air conditioned and the streets didn't have signs indicating where he was.

What makes the show great is that there is not a single shred of "Idiot Abroad" in it. We're never meant to laugh at the people not understanding the culture, or about how things are different etc. It avoids the temptation of getting insensitive or rude people to be the focus of the show - the people they get are all generally really good natured, and the episodes tend to raise awareness for the poor working conditions in a lot of places they visit. It's a great show that takes a sincere look at its subject matter.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 27, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I watched the one with the Brazilian outback firefighters, they were amazing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sounds pretty cool, actually. I thought it was just a "HAVE A GAWK AT THIS STRANGE THING" documentary.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I loved the Mongolian miner one where the Brit helped build something that made the mining more safe. That was my favourite one because despite it being very depressing (the miner was there because all of their livestock died due to three terrible winters) you got the sense that there was a genuine friendship by the end. It had a semi-upbeat ending as well.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Sounds pretty cool, actually. I thought it was just a "HAVE A GAWK AT THIS STRANGE THING" documentary.

Nah, it's one of these programmes with a terrible title that is actually sensitive and thoughtful. The episode where a London binman went out to Jakarta and saw the conditions the semi-homeless workers were living in out there was pretty sniffle-inducing.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I enjoyed what I saw of the Toughest Place to be A series, but I watched a bit of the "revisited" series (specifically the fisherman episode) and it just looked like an excuse to repeat earlier series during primetime. The 15 minutes I watched looked like a completely unedited repeat, presumably they just throw in 5 minutes of new footage at the end.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Grand Designs Revisited.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Here's a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMY92A65KDY

My home town team, and I was called in to a meeting to whether we should allow this to actually happen. I think all of my bits are cut because when the film crew turned up to the pub we usually drank in before a game, I declared on camera "well, I hope we loving get at least a loving draw", but in the crowdy bits I'm there.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Irisi posted:

Nah, it's one of these programmes with a terrible title that is actually sensitive and thoughtful. The episode where a London binman went out to Jakarta and saw the conditions the semi-homeless workers were living in out there was pretty sniffle-inducing.

Especially because at the end the show generated enough publicity it actually improved things a small amount :unsmith:

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Here's a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMY92A65KDY

My home town team, and I was called in to a meeting to whether we should allow this to actually happen. I think all of my bits are cut because when the film crew turned up to the pub we usually drank in before a game, I declared on camera "well, I hope we loving get at least a loving draw", but in the crowdy bits I'm there.

Are you the man who's really enthusiastically rubbing his boob in the changing room?

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

Fatty posted:

I enjoyed what I saw of the Toughest Place to be A series, but I watched a bit of the "revisited" series (specifically the fisherman episode) and it just looked like an excuse to repeat earlier series during primetime. The 15 minutes I watched looked like a completely unedited repeat, presumably they just throw in 5 minutes of new footage at the end.

Exactly what I though, I sat watching the whole thing thinking 'I'm sure I've already seen this part'
Another series well worth watching is 'Welcome to India', it takes a good look at day to day life in India from the prospective of various workers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

sex pervert posted:

Are you the man who's really enthusiastically rubbing his boob in the changing room?

the closest I ever got to a changing room of a football team is when out supporters played Hampton & Richmond's and we played at their stadium. That whole deal with the TV show was weird. We did it for publicity but there was definitely a minority of supporters who thought that this guy was literally going to be deciding tactics, subs, etc. Oddly enough, the following season we were finally relegated

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Fatty posted:

It's more like 40 minutes of repeat footage and 20 minutes of 'revisit', which is, wank. I do love the series and it's great that there's a follow up because it often leaves me wondering what happened next. Something that I'm left with with most of these programmes.

I'm not sure if it's liberal guilt, but I can't help feel that there's an element of 'look at the foreigners who are poorer than us'. I would love to see an exchange programme where they come here and experience what an easier life their counterpart has. But following the above sentiment, I'm not sure that it's not rubbing it in.

In a similar vein, there was a series called Tribal Women, or something, where a similar set-up was used. But it was British women staying with a primitive tribe and it explored the day to day lives of the women, what they did all day and attitudes of the men towards them. Just the usual stark contrast on how a more developed society has freedoms most take for granted, especially for girls.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Endeavour is really, really good.

As was Foyle's War. And Broadchurch was everyone's guilty pleasure. ITV is beating the BBC when it comes to drama, it has to be said.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Politician's Husband was quite good. Just watched HIGNFY finally Paul Merton got a haircut.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Metrication posted:

Politician's Husband was quite good.

Yeah I just watched it. Pretty good, although it seemed a bit too keen to get a few buzzwords and real websites in. Judging by all the modern references, it doesn't feel like it's trying to become a classic.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The Alternative Comedy Experience has got a second series, I'm quite happy about that. Shame they're sticking with the 12 30-minute episodes rather than something at 45 minutes or more, but the first series has been really good.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/04/30/17739/alternative_comedy_experience_to_return

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sex pervert posted:

ITV News is news for vegetables. It reminds me so much of the mind rapingly vapid American network news programmes that I occasionally had to sit through when I was living over there. Actually, it's worse. At least pleasant looking people present American news. ITV has Alastair Stewart: an orange faced, animated mummy with the fixed expression of a man who has taken his first breath having just been sealed in a chamber of a thousand farts. There is nothing in human language more grating to listen to than an Englishman who rolls his Rs.

I'd like to know how you Brits feel about the amount of coverage of the royal family on TV. ITV news and Channel 5 news seem to end every show with a doting non-story about the British royal family. Tonight they were showing three of them arsing about for the cameras at some Harry Potter thing. At least in the USA they had some loving variety: some horribly afflicted person overcoming their illness, a cat getting rescued from a well or a tree, someone who'd invented something to try to make the world a slightly less horrible place. But ITV and Channel 5? Look at ARE ROYAL FAMILY! Look at how hard they work! Look at ARE KATE's new dress! Look at how normal they all are! Look at them doing things that you oiks are into!

ITV/ITN are gimped though, they have had their budgets slashed time and time again.
ITN used to be the powerhouse of news back in the 80s/90s, they had a reporter on the front line of everything back then within 24 hours.
But when the ITV channel was going under bad viewer figures a decade or so ago, they cut back on everything, including the news.
ITN now rely on buying news footage now from other channels, and they do this with the big news story of the week. You rarely see a reporter at the scene of this new story, if you do its mostly somewhere else in London like oustide the embassay of country X or outside courthouses.
For the rest of the show it takes fluff stories from close by (London) and gives them more air time than they should. "Do pedophiles cause obesity? Tune in at ten". When X-Factor and/or a pedophile has been caught must be pure heaven for them, little work to do that night.

As for the Royal Family question, as Northern Irish, all Royal Family stories are just indicators when to start skimming channels. Same with the cricket scores.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I am in love with 10 O'Clock Live, I didn't realize I missed the show so much!

For any nonbrit goons who follow this thread (or britgoons who want to watch foreign stuff), I suggest Mediahint, which will let you watch stuff like 4oD.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And for UK folks, Mediahint works the other way, and lets you watch US Netflix (which has a much bigger selection than ours).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Watching Newsnight, and in their package about this gay Basketballer and the difficulties of sports men coming out, they honestly said "it wasn't always like this, in Ancient Greece..." I can only presume that while talking about the Cypriot bailout they wistfully looked back to the barter economy.
e: and now Allegra Stratton's on, so I'm watching Dallas.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 30, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Can't understand why people like 10 O'Clock Live.

Maybe The Daily Show/Colbert Report have spoiled me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

WastedJoker posted:

I don't think they have. I don't really watch either of those and I think 10 O'Clock Live is shite.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

10 O'Clock Live could be made good in two moves:

Change the formatting so it's less rushed and ditch Lauren Lavergne.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I enjoyed 10 O'Clock Live last week, and a big reason for that was because of how much they sidelined Jimmy Carr and got his utterly awful monologue out the way right at the start, and also none of his appalling sketches.

Brooker on Boston and David Mitchell's roundtable were both great.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

TV in general would be better if Jimmy Carr could be completely sidelined. I really thought when he first started being on everything that he'd be one of those flash in the pan TV comedians. I thought, there's no way this guy will last; he's only funny for doing bad jokes, having an embarrassing laugh and looking a bit Chinese but actually it's an Englishman. Although I suppose that's two more things than Michael McIntyre has.

But he's still there :(

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I dont watch 10 O'Clock Live, but Jimmy Carr is a fantastic standup, very quick witted able to react really well to any heckling and has such a rapid fire rate with his jokes too. His book on the history of jokes was quite enjoyable too.

I also like his naming system for his dvds, if you line them up it says "Live Stand Up Comedian In Concert Telling Jokes Making People Laugh"

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

I think it helps that I'm a massive fan of Carr, Brooker and Mitchell :v:
I also watch the Daily Show every single day. It's significantly better than 10 O'Clock Live, of course, but that kind of comes with the years of experience Stewart's crew have.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Taff posted:

Jimmy Carr is a fantastic standup, very quick witted able to react really well to any heckling and has such a rapid fire rate with his jokes too.

He completely lost the crowd to a power heckler when he came to Belfast. The remainder of his act was like watching a closeted but very definitely homosexual temporary teacher trying to win over the bottom stream class in a sixth form.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WastedJoker posted:

The Daily Show is loving awful. It's Jon Stewart mugging like a tool and a bunch of jokes so broad as to be obese, which is unsurprising given that it's American 'satire'. Colbert's not much better.

sex pervert posted:

He completely lost the crowd to a power heckler when he came to Belfast. The remainder of his act was like watching a closeted but very definitely homosexual temporary teacher trying to win over the bottom stream class in a sixth form.

Your gimmick works better in moderation.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

sex pervert posted:

I'd love to have seen this, he absolutely verbally raped a guy in the front row when I went to see him last. I was sat behind him and the guy just kept interupting mid joke, Carr just tore him apart and it was amazing. They had the interval and some staff came over and asked the guy to leave, when Carr came back out he started questioning where the guy was there and said as far as he was concerned it was all good fun.

Plus Ive always enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLlLM7Rgm8

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WastedJoker posted:

I really don't get why it's so bad though. The obvious answer is "Lauren Laverne" but Brooker, Mitchell and Carr seem to be much worse here than they are on their own (bar a few Brooker rants) or even when together like when Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell had that argument on You Have Been Watching. And yet, 10 o'Clock Live is just loving awful.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

NwahNerevar posted:

I really don't get why it's so bad though. The obvious answer is "Lauren Laverne" but Brooker, Mitchell and Carr seem to be much worse here than they are on their own (bar a few Brooker rants) or even when together like when Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell had that argument on You Have Been Watching. And yet, 10 o'Clock Live is just loving awful.

I think the key concept as to why it's awful is covered by the word "live". Let them record three hours worth of stuff and then cut it down to one hour containing the good bits and it would probably be fine.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I've not looked at the credits - maybe there's nobody decent on the writing team.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

FreakyZoid posted:

I've not looked at the credits - maybe there's nobody decent on the writing team.
I'm not familiar with what the more esoteric roles are in TV credits but the four presenters are the only people credited as Writers. There's a dude credited as Script Editor, and a lady as Script Supervisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Taff posted:

I'd love to have seen this, he absolutely verbally raped a guy in the front row when I went to see him last. I was sat behind him and the guy just kept interupting mid joke, Carr just tore him apart and it was amazing. They had the interval and some staff came over and asked the guy to leave, when Carr came back out he started questioning where the guy was there and said as far as he was concerned it was all good fun.

Plus Ive always enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLlLM7Rgm8

In fairness, I saw the guy in Belfast doing stand up himself about a year and a half later. He probably put a lot of planning into his heckling and that's kind of pathetic, I suppose. More than half the fun of going to see stand up for me is the heckling.

On The Chase right now: old beardy man contestant in his pre-quiz interview tells Bradley "I'm a Freemason. I'm the Most Worshipful Chicken Fucker of my lodge." He then goes on to tell Bradley the name of his secret society's lodge and where it is. :stare: