Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can now count Shadowrun Returns as yet another KS that had to renege on their original pitch. They promised to make their game DRM free but part of the stipulation of getting the license from Microsoft was that they had to include DRM on the final retail product...and they only just this month started telling people. As a result they're using Steam and, while they're offering a special DRM-free version to backers, the only way you can get the DLC that they promised is by using the Steam version. Also there's no loot system and it uses checkpoints instead of manual saves.

These next few months are going to be interesting as the first-generation of big post-DoubleFine game Kickstarters start getting released.

I think the devs actually went way above and beyond what most people would actually hold them accountable for. Rather than just force all the backers onto Steam, they're releasing a second DRM free version exclusively for them. The kickstarter was only for the game + 1 dlc, and I doubt most backers would care that much about "drm" that they just wouldn't opt for the steam version or buy it again later when it goes on sale. Steam isn't even some weird third party service, it's pretty much taken over the standard cardboard box with installation discs model. Like yeah it sucks that future dlc is going to be a bit of an issue but that's sperglord level of complaints.

Also, I see nothing wrong with not having a loot system or using checkpoints :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

butts lol posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/somagames/redwall-the-warrior-reborn

Kickstarter which at first glance appears to be funding an adventure game based on children's fighting animal book series Redwall but actually seems to be putting $11,000 towards the creation of a Minecraft map?

Hmm, actually seems like the minecraft thing is a way for them to develop the world geometry, with player input, before creating that world in their game. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me. And the pitch video is all "EARLY ACCESS EARLY ACCESS" which is kind of... distressing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Also, I see nothing wrong with not having a loot system or using checkpoints :colbert:

I don't even think these two items were even mentioned in the Kickstarter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Young Freud posted:

What's interesting about those shoes is that, last month, it was reported on the news aggregate sites that there's some unofficial discrimination going on in the USPS involving the tape they use in packaging.

Maybe the fashion police are confiscating them for being the stupidest piece of clothing anyone has ever made? That's my best guess.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I don't know why those atheist shoes offend me so much, I'm not even religious. It's just so drat smug.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Another young game design entrepreneur? I'm always glad to see fresh creativ-

quote:

Tanner's dad is going to ASU Online to pursue his dream to be a game designer, and so his dream and goal right now is to do the same and make a game. This is Tanner's start!

I'm going to project my dream onto my autistic son! :downs:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hate to be that guy but how can we hate on everyone's vanity project and praise the Walken Dinosaur? I thought goons hated monkey cheese. From a practical standpoint did they even demonstrate an ability to pull it off besides their lol concept art?

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

No, thank you for being that guy. I'm glad somebody is

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I hate to be that guy but how can we hate on everyone's vanity project and praise the Walken Dinosaur? I thought goons hated monkey cheese. From a practical standpoint did they even demonstrate an ability to pull it off besides their lol concept art?

It's the dumbest, most pointless, least justifiable crowdfunding project I've ever seen.

And it's beautiful. :allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ce gars posted:

Tired of your greasy hands dropping your expensive phone? Here, stick this permanent elastic band on it.

It's an okay idea, but it seems to me like you'd be just as likely to drop whatever you've stuck this to just trying to wiggle your fingers inside the bands. At least they're only 6 bucks? v:shobon:v

Except it's not permanent and they show you how to remove the mounting strip in the kickstarter. :confused:

Yeah it's kitchy and basically just 3m mounting strips with some elastic bands but it's not a terrible product. At worst it's just not noteworthy.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Young Freud posted:

They weren't mentioned until they made an update saying "Sorry, we wanted to allow save anywhere and a loot system, but we don't have the time or budget to do that stuff as well as all the other cool things we wanted to do."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ce gars posted:

Tired of your greasy hands dropping your expensive phone? Here, stick this permanent elastic band on it.

It's an okay idea, but it seems to me like you'd be just as likely to drop whatever you've stuck this to just trying to wiggle your fingers inside the bands. At least they're only 6 bucks? v:shobon:v

That just seems like something that is gonna look good(ish) on paper but in the real world having your phone attached to your hand with an elastic bad just seems impractical and uncomfortable. There's a reason compact cameras and wiimotes have a wrist strap rather than finger loops, it gives you the security of knowing you won't drop it with the ability to change your grip on it as needed.

Seriously, make a wrist strap that attaches to the little loopy bit on older phones and has a sticky pad on the end for posh smartphones.

Also, the guy with the GPS attached to his hand is hosed if he needs to look at the map while changing gear, using the parkin break or turning a corner.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tears In A Vial posted:

I don't know why those atheist shoes offend me so much, I'm not even religious. It's just so drat smug.

I know someone who bought them just because it was a kickstarter, and he says they're rather uncomfortable and have serious lack of grip, especially on wet surfaces.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What is "Ich bin Atheist" even supposed to mean? Am i missing some clever joke by the use of German?

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Oasx posted:

What is "Ich bin Atheist" even supposed to mean? Am i missing some clever joke by the use of German?

Clearly the Hitlerite regime is affecting your mindular glands, the Atheist agenda is that some folk just wanna grab their own destinies without being beholden to an angry god, much like how Adolf Hitler enacted himself as a godhead-figure. Gotta read between the lines, broseph.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oasx posted:

I am an atheist. There is no pun or anything else clever. It's just that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's almost certainly a Nietzsche thing. He was German and an atheist and these people are probably big fans of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, thus Ich Bin Athiest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Uhhh it says Ich Bin Atheist because it's created by a bunch of German dudes who live in Berlin.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of killing me what a poor control group they used, especially for people who are pretty much building their entire personality around being all "Logic, bitch :smug:". Like somebody else pointed out, having decorations and labels on the outside of packages makes them way more likely to be intercepted regardless of what the decorations are or say. A better control would have been one with identical decorations only instead of ATHEIST they said something secular like SHOES.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Young Freud posted:

I am fairly sure that I saw in the editor that you could cause enemies to drop whatever you wanted on death. I think they mean more in the main campaign and official stuff. Random dropped loot basically doesn't exist in the P&P game, this isn't much of a big deal.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Install Gentoo posted:

Uhhh it says Ich Bin Atheist because it's created by a bunch of German dudes who live in Berlin.

I'm going to install my boot in your rear end, Gentoo.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Also, the guy with the GPS attached to his hand is hosed if he needs to look at the map while changing gear, using the parkin break or turning a corner.

He could just move it to his left hand, then he only can't see for a quick second when using his turn-signal. Also, he could use his right hand (I am assuming that is his dominant hand, because statistics) to manipulate his phone if it is strapped onto his left.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh, you love being that guy.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Wait, are we not talking about that Shadowrun RPG? Because a role-playing-game with checkpoints and no loot seems like the most :wtc: thing ever.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Wait, are we not talking about that Shadowrun RPG? Because a role-playing-game with checkpoints and no loot seems like the most :wtc: thing ever.

No loot makes complete sense in the setting. Checkpoints just means it's a forced but limited ironman mode. Both are just design decisions and aren't particularly connected to its being an RPG. :shrug:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

What, you've never played RPGs that don't have random loot drops?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I thought it said "no loot" - my bad.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No worries, the wording was a little confusing. Here's a full explanation of it:

quote:

Q: Are you planning on making corpses lootable?
A: Corpse looting involves a loot system and associated systems that interact with it. As much as we wanted one and designed one, we don't have the funding to implement it in this version of the game. If we'd done like the SNES and Sega games and gave you one PC/character class and no race choices to play, we might have had time for it. We invested in giving you ownership of your character, knowing that we could add things like that down the road if the game were successful.
[Not posted, but according to the Gamespot interview the Editor allows you to drop items on death of an NPC. In the Campaign this will be mainly used for key items such as passkeys, but in player-made missions this can include other items and money.]

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
I was browsing local Kickstarter projects to see if anything looked interesting enough to support, and came across a project for a Magic the Gathering podcast. I like the idea of helping local geeks, etc so I go to watch their video, and the guy is wearing a Pedobear Tshirt. CLASSY. Uh yeah, no thanks.

Seriously look how creepy this guy looks.

hoo hoo hoo if it goes over $600 I can get my next batch of Madoka doujin huehhhhuuuuuhh :pedo:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

At least he hasn't gotten anything in 10 days, that's... good, I guess.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Khisareth posted:

I was browsing local Kickstarter projects to see if anything looked interesting enough to support, and came across a project for a Magic the Gathering podcast. I like the idea of helping local geeks, etc so I go to watch their video, and the guy is wearing a Pedobear Tshirt. CLASSY. Uh yeah, no thanks.

Seriously look how creepy this guy looks.

hoo hoo hoo if it goes over $600 I can get my next batch of Madoka doujin huehhhhuuuuuhh :pedo:

Why the gently caress is he wearing a pedobear shirt? Is this some sort of acceptable thing nowadays to say "I like naked little girls!" ?!

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Why the gently caress is he wearing a pedobear shirt? Is this some sort of acceptable thing nowadays to say "I like naked little girls!" ?!

Despite the fact that someone out there thought "Let's design a Pedobear shirt" and someone else printed it, and he bought it, no it is not acceptable.

As a side note, this area of Florida is a desert of culture, even bad culture. The average age here is retired folks and old tourists. The odds of him running into someone who would know who Pedobear is is really, really small -- except for the audience he is trying to get money from.

Noisycat has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Apr 28, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Khisareth posted:

Despite the fact that someone out there thought "Let's design a Pedobear shirt" and someone else printed it, and he bought it, no it is not acceptable.

Completely forgot that P-bear was created as an innocuous Japanese mascot in a whole lineup of mascots a year or so before it was appropriated by 4chan, did you? I'm certain that the bear carries a different meaning in Japan than in America.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Completely forgot that P-bear was created as an innocuous Japanese mascot in a whole lineup of mascots a year or so before it was appropriated by 4chan, did you? I'm certain that the bear carries a different meaning in Japan than in America.

Let's evaluate the possibility that he ordered his shirt from a Japanese clothing company (and in three years of living in Japan I've never actually seen a wild pedobear) versus the possibility that he is a wretched nerd, loves 4chan, and ordered a t-shirt from other wretched nerds.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I fully admit I didn't research the original origin of a 4chan meme before passing judgement except he doesn't live in Japan. I really doubt he ordered a T shirt in a naive accident, to wear during his speech on putting together a Magic the Gathering podcast.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

senrath posted:

No worries, the wording was a little confusing. Here's a full explanation of it:

Isn't the point of kickstarter to get the money you need to make things? It always seems weird to me when they say "We would like to add this feature, but we just don't have the time/money".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AxeManiac posted:

Isn't the point of kickstarter to get the money you need to make things? It always seems weird to me when they say "We would like to add this feature, but we just don't have the time/money".
It sounds like after the Kickstarter was done they looked at the list of features they wanted and decided that they hadn't gotten enough money to bankroll whatever systems. I'm making assumptions on the chronology as I haven't followed that project at all.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

It sounds like after the Kickstarter was done they looked at the list of features they wanted and decided that they hadn't gotten enough money to bankroll whatever systems. I'm making assumptions on the chronology as I haven't followed that project at all.

The hairbrained schemes folks have been very disengenuous about the project's direction. I would not be surprised if they knew this (and the licensing issue) from day one, and just decided to omit it from the original kickstarter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Let's evaluate the possibility that he ordered his shirt from a Japanese clothing company (and in three years of living in Japan I've never actually seen a wild pedobear) versus the possibility that he is a wretched nerd, loves 4chan, and ordered a t-shirt from other wretched nerds.

Pedobear, IIRC, came from 2channel as ASCII art of "Kumar!" for troll bait back in 2000 (the joke being a bear caught while fishing by a fishing hook). By the time the 4Chan appropriated it for their own uses, it was 2005-2006, right when a company called Sukueya started putting out 2channel merchandise, including a zodiac of mascot characters that include Kumar/Pedobear.

Khisareth posted:

I fully admit I didn't research the original origin of a 4chan meme before passing judgement except he doesn't live in Japan. I really doubt he ordered a T shirt in a naive accident, to wear during his speech on putting together a Magic the Gathering podcast.

I'm not saying he didn't. People buy poo poo from Japan all the time to fit their own secret meanings. Of course, I know there's an American company that licenses such meme flotsam.

Verdugo posted:

The hairbrained schemes folks have been very disengenuous about the project's direction. I would not be surprised if they knew this (and the licensing issue) from day one, and just decided to omit it from the original kickstarter.

What the gently caress are you talking about? They've been very forthcoming about their work on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The day you finish your business plan is the day it starts becoming irrelevant. Pretty much every enterprise goes through a process of trial-and-error, and they never look like they began after the 3rd or 4th iteration. Kickstarter-ers shouldn't make too many specific promises about the final products, but it's goddamn myopic to expect their original visions to be fully realized. That those RPG guys managed to make a game that looks and plays like they wanted from the beginning is pretty impressive, and people sniping from the sidelines with "nuh huh, you said no DRM," are pathetic.