Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ace is shaping up to be a really nice skin. I am using it on my xbmc installs now, at least until black drops xperience onto the repo. Might be worth glancing at again if you only looked at it when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Captain Matchbox posted:

Is there a good addon to short list a few movies from the library to watch later?

I might take a crack at doing one of these, I'm always losing track of what I'm going to watch. I really like Rapier since it has an In Progress thing, so often times I'll start up a movie I intend to watch for 20 seconds so it gets added to that list then I'll watch it later.

quote:

Ace is shaping up to be a really nice skin. I am using it on my xbmc installs now, at least until black drops xperience onto the repo. Might be worth glancing at again if you only looked at it when it first came out.

Yeah I really like this skin too, I think I picked it up the last time you linked it. I just want the author to support the more advanced watched widget/progress addon and then it would be perfect.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just noticed this interesting addon for removing videos you have watched. I might look into it for deleting watched episodes or series I don't care about keeping.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162517

Also just found this "beta" addon that can delete a file after watching it, I remember someone asked about that back in the day.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162770

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to make a profile that doesn't use the advancedsettings.xml file? In my house I have a network setup with a SQL server. However, I want to take my Zotac mini PC to a friend's house with a thumb drive loaded up with content. I made a new profile, and set the profile to have it's own media. However, it still connects to my database and shows that content.

I want to pre-load that profile with the contents of the thumbdrive only, to make sure it works, as they're curious about a HTPC setup. But I don't want the contents of my thumbdrive to be written to the server, as it's temporary only.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IUG posted:

Is there a way to make a profile that doesn't use the advancedsettings.xml file? In my house I have a network setup with a SQL server. However, I want to take my Zotac mini PC to a friend's house with a thumb drive loaded up with content. I made a new profile, and set the profile to have it's own media. However, it still connects to my database and shows that content.

I want to pre-load that profile with the contents of the thumbdrive only, to make sure it works, as they're curious about a HTPC setup. But I don't want the contents of my thumbdrive to be written to the server, as it's temporary only.
Are you using windows? If so then a different user account should have its own xbmc setup.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Are you using windows? If so then a different user account should have its own xbmc setup.

No, I'm using XBMCbuntu, and I was using the XBMC profiles. I can't really see an easy way to duplicate the XBMC user, or really want to do that if I can avoid it. I'd like the system to power up and go to the default user, and then log out/in to the "Mobile" profile when I take the system with me somewhere.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a bunch of really neat desktop backgrounds, organised into movie theme, misc, automotive etc. Is there a way to incorporate these into xbmc somehow ? It would be neat if they were displayed during some aspect of xbmc, perhaps while listening to music or something. I do use them as slides mixed in with movie trivia when using Cinema Experience script. But it seems like I could be doing more with them, I'm just not sure what.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I have a bunch of really neat desktop backgrounds, organised into movie theme, misc, automotive etc. Is there a way to incorporate these into xbmc somehow ? It would be neat if they were displayed during some aspect of xbmc, perhaps while listening to music or something. I do use them as slides mixed in with movie trivia when using Cinema Experience script. But it seems like I could be doing more with them, I'm just not sure what.

Depending on the theme, you can set the background of a specific menu item (movies, pictures, tv shows, etc) to a folder full of images.

I'm pretty sure that there's a slideshow screensaver, either built in or available on the repo, and that you can set that to a folder. Then just disable music visualizations and you'll be set.

kri kri posted:

Just noticed this interesting addon for removing videos you have watched. I might look into it for deleting watched episodes or series I don't care about keeping.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162517

Also just found this "beta" addon that can delete a file after watching it, I remember someone asked about that back in the day.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162770

These are great. After a few people here try it out (including myself) I'll add them to the OP. I need to add that Ace skin as well, and probably run through all the various subforums to see if there's anything new or interesting to add.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Depending on the theme, you can set the background of a specific menu item (movies, pictures, tv shows, etc) to a folder full of images.

I'm pretty sure that there's a slideshow screensaver, either built in or available on the repo, and that you can set that to a folder. Then just disable music visualizations and you'll be set.

I'm running Aeon Nox, which is really slick and professional looking. I don't want to screw up the themed artwork with my own stuff. It just wouldn't fit as well.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

I'm running Aeon Nox, which is really slick and professional looking. I don't want to screw up the themed artwork with my own stuff. It just wouldn't fit as well.

While Nox looks amazing, the default backgrounds do not. It's like some neckbeard hurriedly picked up his camera and snapped a collection of uninspired shots using somewhat relevant trash scattered around the basement to replace the nonfree images that used to come with the skin.

Having you customize the skin by providing your own pictures and present them integrated as part of a beautiful whole was one of the main design goals behind the original Aeon.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Keito posted:

While Nox looks amazing, the default backgrounds do not. It's like some neckbeard hurriedly picked up his camera and snapped a collection of uninspired shots using somewhat relevant trash scattered around the basement to replace the nonfree images that used to come with the skin.

Having you customize the skin by providing your own pictures and present them integrated as part of a beautiful whole was one of the main design goals behind the original Aeon.

I'm not sure if I disagree or that maybe you're using an older version ? The backgrounds in my version look pretty good. I just went ahead and stuffed a bunch of poo poo into those background directories though and it looks very good now. Thanks!

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

IUG posted:

If you make the new XBMC profile it will make it's own folder in /userdata/profiles/username and in there you could add another advancedsettings.xml which that user will then use, I think even if you leave it blank that will be enough to stop it using the master users advancedsettings.xml.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
In Aeon Nox, is there any way to simply stop the slideshow backgrounds? I don't care about changing them; I just don't like having the slideshow. I tried manually choosing a single image from each category as the background, but I either wasn't choosing the right option or couldn't find the correct directory where the default backgrounds are located.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quixzlizx posted:

In Aeon Nox, is there any way to simply stop the slideshow backgrounds? I don't care about changing them; I just don't like having the slideshow. I tried manually choosing a single image from each category as the background, but I either wasn't choosing the right option or couldn't find the correct directory where the default backgrounds are located.

Its in your windows username/appdata/roaming/xbmc/addons/skins.aeon
Nox/backgrounds

I'm going from memory from last night but the directory structure should be similar to that.

You could just remove the images from the directories you don't want.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
You don't need to mess around with skin files. In the same place where you set folders of images as backgrounds, there is an option to just select a single image as a background.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

evilalien posted:

You don't need to mess around with skin files. In the same place where you set folders of images as backgrounds, there is an option to just select a single image as a background.

I understand that, but I couldn't seem to navigate to the folder with the actual images in them so I could assign single images as the backgrounds. Hopefully the directory above will work.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Quixzlizx posted:

I understand that, but I couldn't seem to navigate to the folder with the actual images in them so I could assign single images as the backgrounds. Hopefully the directory above will work.

When you select single image for a menu item it starts you in the default folder the skin stores backgrounds in, and you can just select one of the listed images. At least that is how it functions for me. It also shows you the current path you are in which should look like special://skin/backgrounds/movies which corresponds to the path that jonathan posted above.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

suddenlyissoon posted:

I might be picking up a android phone soon and I'll definitely be putting XBMC on it. Currently, my iPhone is running it and connecting remotely to my NAS using AFP. Is that possible on android or is there a better alternative? I know SMB isn't possible and have never seemed to get NFS working.

I'm sure the rest was answered, but when I was running XBMC on my Infinity Tablet I used SMB share flawlessly so I'm not sure why you said it's not possible? As I recall though I had to uninstall something in Windows7 in order for the shares to show up.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Smb definitely works, but I found that I had to disable home group sharing in windows 7 and then set the sharing permissions afterwards for it to be visible to other devices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have the Next Aired addon configured to refresh listings daily at 2:30AM, but whenever I open it, I quite often have to wait for it to download listings for all my shows.

Does anyone else experience this?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I have the Next Aired addon configured to refresh listings daily at 2:30AM, but whenever I open it, I quite often have to wait for it to download listings for all my shows.

Does anyone else experience this?

Stupid question, but is your machine actually on and awake at 2:30 am? I used to have this issue and it drove me nuts until I realized my machine wasn't awake when it was supposed to update... It doesn't wake to update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

monkeybounce posted:

Stupid question, but is your machine actually on and awake at 2:30 am? I used to have this issue and it drove me nuts until I realized my machine wasn't awake when it was supposed to update... It doesn't wake to update.

Not a stupid question, but yeah it's on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Any idea what plugin brings this up at the end of an episode? Could be the skin, too, I guess..

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Any idea what plugin brings this up at the end of an episode? Could be the skin, too, I guess..

Trakt i think. It updates your account on this website: http://trakt.tv/ You can also set it to ask for a rating out of 10 instead of binary good/bad.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah, that's the Trakt plugin.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

StorrowS posted:

Trakt i think. It updates your account on this website: http://trakt.tv/ You can also set it to ask for a rating out of 10 instead of binary good/bad.

Yep, it's Trakt. You can disable it in the plugin configuration.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thanks for that. It's uh, been a while since I watched anything with XBMC so I didn't quite know what was happening there.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any advice on diagnosing buffering problems? I'm using this setup: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and up until recently it's been perfect at playing 1080p/720p videos on my NAS, but recently, seemingly at random, I've been running into issues where the video has to buffer (usually every 13 seconds on 720p files) and I can't figure out what the problem is. Since the problem started I've tried increasing the buffer size in advancedsettings.xml, making sure Windows 7 (32bit) is completely updated, updating XBMC, and updating the software on my server. Both the XBMC computer and the NAS are connected to a gigabit router, and I don't have a single problem using VLC to watch files from my laptop. Sometimes exiting XBMC and running the program again fixes the problem, sometimes not, same with restarting Windows.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe the hard drive the hard drive the files are stored on is dying.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It could be, but I have 3 drives in the server, and as of two weeks ago one of them is a refurbished drive straight from Western Digital and the other is a brand new 2tb Red drive. I've tried playing files from each drive in the server and the problem happens no matter what disk it's reading from.
edit: and also I don't think that's the problem because I haven't had a single problem playing from my laptop for extended periods of time rather than the XBMC computer, and occasionally restarting XBMC completely fixes the problem..for about an hour or two.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 28, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Sounds like a skipping drive to me.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Recently added would be much more useful if it didn't include watched movies. You can filter them out, but that just hides the watched ones, doesn't repopulate the list with more unwatched movies.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

Sounds like a skipping drive to me.

What exactly is a skipping drive? And again, it's only happening with the XBMC computer, NOT my laptop, and it's happening with files played from all three drives in the server, not just one.

edit: When I press O on the keyboard, under the section starting with C, there's a bunch of stuff and then cache: 0B 100%. When the buffering occurs the cache always drops to ~13% . When it says 0 B does that mean there's no caching going on whatsoever?
edit2: could a bad network cable be causing a bad connection with the router perhaps?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 28, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Traxxus posted:

Recently added would be much more useful if it didn't include watched movies. You can filter them out, but that just hides the watched ones, doesn't repopulate the list with more unwatched movies.

With Aeon Nox's latest added widgets it hides all watched ones which I kind of wish it didn't, I'm getting bored of always seeing the same list of movies I never get around to watch. Maybe I should change to a random movies widget instead...

Are you talking about the playlist in the movies sub menu? If so, you could make a smart playlist to do exactly what you want, it's pretty easy.

Go make a new playlist, call it latest unwatched or whatever you want, set the rule "play count less than one", order by date added, sort decending and you're done.

You can disable the default "latest" sub menu item and add your new playlist in its place unless your skin has poo poo customizability.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Keito posted:

With Aeon Nox's latest added widgets it hides all watched ones which I kind of wish it didn't, I'm getting bored of always seeing the same list of movies I never get around to watch. Maybe I should change to a random movies widget instead...

Are you talking about the playlist in the movies sub menu? If so, you could make a smart playlist to do exactly what you want, it's pretty easy.

Go make a new playlist, call it latest unwatched or whatever you want, set the rule "play count less than one", order by date added, sort decending and you're done.

You can disable the default "latest" sub menu item and add your new playlist in its place unless your skin has poo poo customizability.

That sounds like a good solution, I've been doing some customizing with aeon nox, that sounds like something I could do.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm running openelec on my AD10. I'd like to run xbmc on another computer so I can share settings between the two xbmc copies. Using my AD10 to change settings and such isn't fun nor easy. I'd like to do all the tweaking and customizing on my desktop and then clone that setup to the AD10. Would setting up a mysql database be the way to go to do this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Drevoak posted:

I'm running openelec on my AD10. I'd like to run xbmc on another computer so I can share settings between the two xbmc copies. Using my AD10 to change settings and such isn't fun nor easy. I'd like to do all the tweaking and customizing on my desktop and then clone that setup to the AD10. Would setting up a mysql database be the way to go to do this?

Yes for your database. For your settings you can use the XBMC backup addon.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

What exactly is a skipping drive?

wolfbiker posted:

It is a bad joke.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit2: could a bad network cable be causing a bad connection with the router perhaps?

It sounds to me like you have network issues. Have you been able to try something like VLC on your HTPC? You need to eliminate some possibilities first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone have any advice on diagnosing buffering problems? I'm using this setup: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and up until recently it's been perfect at playing 1080p/720p videos on my NAS, but recently, seemingly at random, I've been running into issues where the video has to buffer (usually every 13 seconds on 720p files) and I can't figure out what the problem is. Since the problem started I've tried increasing the buffer size in advancedsettings.xml, making sure Windows 7 (32bit) is completely updated, updating XBMC, and updating the software on my server. Both the XBMC computer and the NAS are connected to a gigabit router, and I don't have a single problem using VLC to watch files from my laptop. Sometimes exiting XBMC and running the program again fixes the problem, sometimes not, same with restarting Windows.

Are you running through a receiver / AVR? Your audio output settings could be causing buffering if there are options selected that your receiver doesn't support (or if you had a receiver and have since removed it). I run into this issue if I bypass my receiver and go straight to the TV.