Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

AlbieQuirky posted:

My brother got a newspaper job that way once; he was the runner-up for one job and then when they had the next opening they called him rather than do another search. That's the only time I've ever heard of anyone's resume being on file for real though.

Yeah that's different. I mean at that point I presume he'd interviewed and had his references checked. By then you can assume you're either in or in the top three. It's not really the same as being "on file" though if it's the same position you interviewed for, only a few days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

InEscape posted:

Yeah that's different. I mean at that point I presume he'd interviewed and had his references checked. By then you can assume you're either in or in the top three. It's not really the same as being "on file" though if it's the same position you interviewed for, only a few days later.

Yes. It was at a different newspaper owned by the same publishing group, but as you say he'd already been interviewed, references checked, etc., it wasn't like he was random dude off the street. There were a couple of months in between, so not too long "on file" either.

But that's really unusual anyway. Benny, the takeaway for you here is that you're going to have to start fresh every time, retail and restaurants don't keep resumes "on file", ever.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I still can't believe that you don't have a job with the kind of effort you're (apparently) putting into it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Sorry I haven't been posting. My Mom's been having heart palpitations since last night and now she's in the hospital. I just saw her-she's alright. I'll get back to you guys later about my hours. Right now, I need to be with family.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Drop off a resume at the hospital.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I still can't believe that you don't have a job with the kind of effort you're (apparently) putting into it.

He got two jobs, quit one (packing things in boxes was too stressful) and got fired from the other (assistant grill cook). Third time's the charm, hopefully.

Hoping your mum feels better soon, Benny.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

He got two jobs, quit one (packing things in boxes was too stressful) and got fired from the other (assistant grill cook). Third time's the charm, hopefully.

Hoping your mum feels better soon, Benny.

I've been following the thread. He's a college graduate with a diploma, and he can't even get jobs that high schools can hold down. It's just.. strange to me. I dunno. Maybe the job market is really that bad. I'm getting my M.A. in History this semester and have a nice job lined up (not in the history field), but I have a sort of an unusual case.

If he really is putting the effort he claims, he'll find something good soon. Good luck Benny.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Drop off a resume at the hospital.
Ahahahahaha
"Mom almost died."
"NO loving EXCUSES BENNY"

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Hey Benny is your mom doing okay?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

bunnybean posted:

Ahahahahaha
"Mom almost died."
"NO loving EXCUSES BENNY"

To be fair knowing him this is a 2 week break.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey guys. Mom's fine. The hospital couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, although heart disease does run in her family. Mom happens to be rather frail so while this isn't surprising it was still scary. Thanks for the concern.

Oh and by the way good news: yesterday after she was discharged I decided to make my rounds in Chino Hills for a bit and now I have an interview. It's a clothing store called Buckle and they want me to schedule an interview with them. Things are looking up!

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 28, 2013

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Benny! Stop posting the names of places. C'mon, Benny!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Buckle is a chain. Like Target. With locations across the nation.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 29, 2013

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey guys. Mom's fine. The hospital couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, although heart disease does run in her family. Mom happens to be rather frail so while this isn't surprising it was still scary. Thanks for the concern.

Oh and by the way good news: yesterday after she was discharged I decided to make my rounds in Chino Hills for a bit and now I have an interview. It's a clothing store called Buckle and they want me to schedule an interview with them. Things are looking up!

I don't shop at Buckle much, but when I have, the salesperson is always very knowledgeable about fashion and pushes a hard sell. Meaning you're going to have to get used to the idea of being aggressive about a sale. Also, research current fashion trends, body types, etc. One of the few times I actually blew a decent amount of money at that store was when the girl helped me find a ton of clothes for my body type (I have big hips, which means the jeans are usually tight on my hips but loose everywhere else).

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Buckle is a national chain. What are you talking about?

Unless you mean Chino Hills?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

CravingSolace posted:

I don't shop at Buckle much, but when I have, the salesperson is always very knowledgeable about fashion and pushes a hard sell. Meaning you're going to have to get used to the idea of being aggressive about a sale. Also, research current fashion trends, body types, etc. One of the few times I actually blew a decent amount of money at that store was when the girl helped me find a ton of clothes for my body type (I have big hips, which means the jeans are usually tight on my hips but loose everywhere else).
And I've got myself an interview on Monday. I'll be on my best.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Why? Who cares?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Dr. Lariat posted:

Why? Who cares?

Didn't know it was a national chain, never mind then. I've just seen enough threads over the years where goons decide to hassle the OP when they post personal info like that that I think it's a universally bad idea.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Didn't know it was a national chain, never mind then. I've just seen enough threads over the years where goons decide to hassle the OP when they post personal info like that that I think it's a universally bad idea.

So, because you see other people doing dumb poo poo online, you feel the need to jump in and say "me too"?

I've never grasped the paranoia people have on this forum.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Probably because these days, a lot of employers do google names. I've even seen job forms asking for usernames or even passwords to facebook accounts, etc.

Which makes me worried because at least two people with my name have been horribly murdered by their husbands.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

ThatCguy posted:

I've never grasped the paranoia people have on this forum.

You probably missed out on the golden age of *drives by and takes pictures of goons house and randomly internet detectives them for shits and giggles* posts, then. I refuse to believe you've posted here for 4 years and haven't seen that type of poo poo, though I guess mods did crack down on it at some point. I was hardly, "hassling" him, just telling him not to post personal poo poo, since he posted the small business mexican grill he worked at like 3 goddamn times. I didn't realize it was a chain.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 29, 2013

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Glad your mom is better; break legs at the interview!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Aerofallosov posted:

I've even seen job forms asking for usernames or even passwords to facebook accounts, etc.

Isn't this illegal?

I asked my boss if they internet stalked me before hiring me, and the response was "who has time for that?". Maybe some HR departments do, but I don't think most do anything beyond a google search.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Benny what do you look like and what are you wearing to this interview. Buckle is a clothing store, so they're not gonna hire you if you look like a chump.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Isn't this illegal?

I asked my boss if they internet stalked me before hiring me, and the response was "who has time for that?". Maybe some HR departments do, but I don't think most do anything beyond a google search.

Probably. It's akin to checking people's credit or not hiring unemployed people. Technically illegal or at least very skeevy if legal.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
If I remember correctly, your pay at Buckle would be largely commission-based (much more so than other clothing stores at the mall), so be prepared for that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Benny what do you look like and what are you wearing to this interview. Buckle is a clothing store, so they're not gonna hire you if you look like a chump.
I don't have any designer clothes. I make a habit of wearing what's economical and comfy. I don't like wearing logos because, well they're not paying my Chicano rear end. I make one exception to logos: organizations that I support. My Alma Mater and my favorite sports team (Go Dodger Blue! Woooooo!).

Now that doesn't mean that all I have are t-shirts and jeans. I have casual button-ups, a couple of polos, slacks, and a couple dress shirts and ties. So what I'm going to wear at my interview is my casual button-up and jeans.

As for what I look like: I don't want to divulge too much but if it's one thing I've got going for me is my baby face. I might be out of shape, but damned if I don't look younger. So outside of constantly getting carded for beer, it sometimes works to my advantage. Unfortunately I can't rock a kickin' beard, mustache, or any other form facial hair because it grows like peach fuzz. So I shave once a week and right before an important event such as an interview.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

If I remember correctly, your pay at Buckle would be largely commission-based (much more so than other clothing stores at the mall), so be prepared for that.
Never had to put the sell on someone and I don't think "Vote for my guy" counts in a retail setting. Any tips?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 29, 2013

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't have any designer clothes. I make a habit of wearing what's economical and comfy. I don't like wearing logos because, well they're not paying my Chicano rear end. I make one exception to logos: organizations that I support. My Alma Mater and my favorite sports team (Go Dodger Blue! Woooooo!).

Now that doesn't mean that all I have are t-shirts and jeans. I have casual button-ups, a couple of polos, slacks, and a couple dress shirts and ties. So what I'm going to wear at my interview is my casual button-up and jeans.

As for what I look like: I don't want to divulge too much but if it's one thing I've got going for me is my baby face. I might be out of shape, but damned if I don't look younger. So outside of constantly getting carded for beer, it sometimes works to my advantage. Unfortunately I can't rock a kickin' beard, mustache, or any other form facial hair because it grows like peach fuzz. So I shave once a week and right before an important event such as an interview.
Never had to put the sell on someone and I don't think "Vote for my guy" counts in a retail setting. Any tips?

There's a fine line between pushing for a sale and being obnoxious. If it's obvious that the customer just wants to be left alone to browse, leave them alone. If you offer to assist someone find a pair of jeans or a shirt and they accept your assistance, time to start explaining why that shirt or pair of jeans is so great. "They're very flattering", or if they say he or she is concerned about a certain insecurity (for example: big hips), explain, "these pants hug your hips nicely and give you a nice shape without drawing too much attention to the area. This shirt also accentuates the lovely shape that you already have," etc. When I said I wanted to buy capris or shorts for the summer but didn't particularly like my legs, the woman showed me a pair of capris and explained how they made my legs look longer and also suggested a nice top to go with it.

You need to be intuitive about your customer. I can't really explain it. Being a good salesman seems to be something you either are, or aren't.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Aerofallosov posted:

I've even seen job forms asking for usernames or even passwords to facebook accounts, etc.

Unless you're talking about a position requiring a security clearance this is the point where I'd close the browser session or tear up the application. What's next - "employment contingent upon HR being given unfettered access to your place of residence for a 24 hour period"?

Also this kind of stuff isn't really illegal if you consent to it, and I'm sure there's a consent clause somewhere in the application before you sign and date the last page.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Isn't this illegal?

It's going back and forth depending on your state. I don't think it's gone officially federal one way or the other yet, although your willingness to roll over for those demands of course depends on your level of desperation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geoj posted:

Unless you're talking about a position requiring a security clearance this is the point where I'd close the browser session or tear up the application. What's next - "employment contingent upon HR being given unfettered access to your place of residence for a 24 hour period"?

Also this kind of stuff isn't really illegal if you consent to it, and I'm sure there's a consent clause somewhere in the application before you sign and date the last page.

If you have a handful of applicants that appear equally qualified, checking social media can be a way to make some distinction between them. The guy that posts about his weekend drunken drag racing may have some deficiencies in judgement, as well as being quite likely to end up in jail, the hospital, or the morgue one of these weekends leaving the company in the lurch. The guy who constantly posts trash about his job, his boss, and his company again shows poor judgement, and if you hire him he is quite likely to start publicly talking trash about your company too. People don't perfectly compartmentalize their lives, what they do on their own time may well affect the workplace sooner or later.

The obvious solution is right from high school have 2 facebook accounts. One using a nickname for your disreputable friends, and one with your legal name for your relatives, coworkers, and other boring people. That way you'll never accidentally tell grandma about how you got totally wasted, and you'll have a "clean" account to show potential employers.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Angela Christine posted:

The obvious solution is right from high school have 2 facebook accounts. One using a nickname for your disreputable friends, and one with your legal name for your relatives, coworkers, and other boring people. That way you'll never accidentally tell grandma about how you got totally wasted, and you'll have a "clean" account to show potential employers.

I've always just used the litmus test of "Does grandma want to know about this" in the first place, but I may just be a weirdo in that I don't post drunken escapades all over the internet in the first place. v:shobon:v

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Angela Christine posted:

Or just walk the gently caress away when a prospective employer wants to know every last intimate detail of your personal life. If they want the username and password to your social media accounts as part of the pre-hiring process its highly likely they'll just treat you like a doormat for the entire time you're with the company.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

You'd be amazed how desperate some folks are for a job, especially when there's family to support. :(

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I've always just used the litmus test of "Does grandma want to know about this" in the first place, but I may just be a weirdo in that I don't post drunken escapades all over the internet in the first place. v:shobon:v

Facebook has a private messaging function? It certainly gets way more use than the public function with me.

Geoj posted:

Or just walk the gently caress away when a prospective employer wants to know every last intimate detail of your personal life. If they want the username and password to your social media accounts as part of the pre-hiring process its highly likely they'll just treat you like a doormat for the entire time you're with the company.

Easy to say when you're not hungry and don't have children to feed. There should just be laws for this.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Geoj posted:

It is not illegal on the Federal level, just like asking about race, veteran status, etc isn't technically illegal. It does open you up to lawsuits. As far as I can tell, asking for a Facebook password is like asking about every protected class at once. I'm surprised there hasn't been a massive EEO suit yet.

Ursine Asylum posted:

If I were a lady and pregnant, I might tell my Facebook friends. I would not tell a potential employer. v:shobon:v

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___

Benny the Snake posted:

* Approach the customer from the front (don't sneak up behind them)
* Smile
* Always start with icebreaking, never ask 'can I help you' .. complement something they are wearing, talk about their necklace, weather, something local and inoffensive.
* Find out what brought them in to the store - maybe they are looking for pants or a new outfit, try to avoid letting them say 'just browsing'. Try something like 'is this your first time into our store?' .. if yes, briefly give them some info about the store, if no, welcome them back
* Be aware of shoplifters, keep your back to the wall as much as possible, maintain eye contact and approach people often
* Get people to try stuff on, tell them it looks nice or suggest something else if it doesn't
* Take stuff up to the front cash for them so they don't have to carry it around / don't risk them putting it back
* Be grateful, if it's slow carry stuff out to the car for women, etc.
* Be busy when there are no customers - stock shelves, tidy up, etc, etc.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Geoj posted:

The example that most gets cited when someone brings this up was of an application for a prison guard in I want to say either illinois or minnesota. Basically they were scouring FB accounts for gang affiliation indicators and activity. Which, sadly, makes perfect sense if you're dealing with people applying to be a prison guard.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Shark Attack! posted:

if it's slow carry stuff out to the car for women, etc.

This would rarely be OK in a mall retail setting, or at least in my experience. There usualy aren't enough employees at any given time to allow someone to leave the store and escort a customer to their car, even when it's slow. Offering to help would be an especially nice gesture, but I'd ask management about company policy first. Some stores don't want to risk a liability situation (this was the case of one chain I worked for years ago after a well-meaning employee was attacked in a mall parking lot).

I'm very grateful to this thread for all the solid job-seeking advice, especially about cover letters. I was a cover letter slacker! Now I'm writing a new letter to each position - I'm discovering it makes me feel more confident about applying because there's a better chance I'll stand out from my competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

There's a fine line between pushing for a sale and being obnoxious. If it's obvious that the customer just wants to be left alone to browse, leave them alone. If you offer to assist someone find a pair of jeans or a shirt and they accept your assistance, time to start explaining why that shirt or pair of jeans is so great. "They're very flattering", or if they say he or she is concerned about a certain insecurity (for example: big hips), explain, "these pants hug your hips nicely and give you a nice shape without drawing too much attention to the area. This shirt also accentuates the lovely shape that you already have," etc. When I said I wanted to buy capris or shorts for the summer but didn't particularly like my legs, the woman showed me a pair of capris and explained how they made my legs look longer and also suggested a nice top to go with it.

You need to be intuitive about your customer. I can't really explain it. Being a good salesman seems to be something you either are, or aren't.

Good advice, but just be careful not to cross the perv line if you're going to comment on a woman's hips or shape or legs as part of a sales pitch. Like being a good salesman, it's primarily an issue of intuition, either you are or you aren't. If you're worried about coming off wrong with comments like this, stick to more neutral observations like "This color looks great on you" or "Wow, that fits you perfectly." Obvious exceptions would be if they ask a direct question about how their hips/rear end/whatever look in the clothes. If you end up in a job like this, spend some time observing your colleagues on the sales floor and see what kind of remarks they make to customers about the clothing. You could even do some due diligence in advance of your interview by finding a similar shop, going in as a potential customer on a slow day, and asking a few questions to see how the employees respond to you. (No, you don't have to buy anything, just be polite and thank them for their time.)

But, that said, a store like Buckle is going to expect you to make changes to your wardrobe if you get the job. You might get through an interview in plain, no-brand clothing, but that won't fly when you're a public, customer-facing representative of the store. Although most stores aren't as explicit as Abercrombie or Hollister when it comes to making "models" out of their sales staff, you will be expected to conform with the image they want to present to customers.

Also, regarding carrying stuff to the car for women - don't think it's going to be an issue here. They sell clothes, not furniture. Still, you probably won't be allowed to leave the store unless you're on a break. Also, a lot of bigger chains have strict policies about the kind of "helping" you can do. At the department store where I used to work, they had policies against providing "extra" assistance to women, the elderly, the handicapped, etc. unless they specifically requested it. "Extra" meaning things like carrying items for them, going out of your way to open doors or help someone with mobility issues, trying to guide a blind person through the store, etc. Firstly, they didn't want the liability of an employee getting injured while lifting something heavy that had already been purchased. Secondly, they did not want to give off the appearance of condescending to a person who, despite their appearance, may not actually want/need help. It was a bit excessively PC at times, but I never noticed any problems.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 29, 2013

• Locked thread