Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rusty Kettle posted:

Dungeon World will be me and my friends' first RPG, so I am taking great care in making sure to understand everything. I'm sure I'll have questions later, but for now, I have one thing that I cannot find in the pdf.

What is a boon, how are they rewarded, and what do people get when they are rewarded them? What does +1 Boon mean?

I asked this on the last page, and it has yet to be answered. I would like to know as well: What are other GMs doing with boons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Isn't the Boon thing just the currency the Fae uses to fuel some of its powers, and is specific to that class?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

What is a boon, how are they rewarded, and what do people get when they are rewarded them? What does +1 Boon mean?

Not sure what you're talking about.

"Boon" is used to mean two different things in the DW book:
  • As a mechanic, boons are what the Paladin's Quest move gives you in exchange for your vows.
  • Everywhere else, the word is used exactly as its meaning in common English.
If you're talking about madadric's Fae, boon is a currency you spend to do things, and the "+1" in "+1 boon" means exactly the same as it would in "+1 hold" or "+100 coins."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lemon critique my Stolen playbook already geez <:mad:>

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Not sure what you're talking about.

"Boon" is used to mean two different things in the DW book:
  • As a mechanic, boons are what the Paladin's Quest move gives you in exchange for your vows.
  • Everywhere else, the word is used exactly as its meaning in common English.
If you're talking about madadric's Fae, boon is a currency you spend to do things, and the "+1" in "+1 boon" means exactly the same as it would in "+1 hold" or "+100 coins."

I was planning on running it like you say and winging it whenever confusion came up. When someone would gain a 'boon', I just give them something cool or something that I know their character would like. However, page 30 says something like 'boon like a cleric' in an example, which I guess has something to do with 'Divine guidance'? I assumed boons for the fae and paladin were special to them, but I thought maybe I missed a generic definition somewhere in the pdf.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was planning on running it like you say and winging it whenever confusion came up. When someone would gain a 'boon', I just give them something cool or something that I know their character would like. However, page 30 says something like 'boon like a cleric' in an example, which I guess has something to do with 'Divine guidance'? I assumed boons for the fae and paladin were special to them, but I thought maybe I missed a generic definition somewhere in the pdf.

I used Boon as the name for the main hold currency in The Fae simply because I wanted to evoke the idea of fortune or favor you get by acting within your strange otherworldly nature. It's not related to any mention in other classes or the rules.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Rusty Kettle posted:

However, page 30 says something like 'boon like a cleric' in an example, which I guess has something to do with 'Divine guidance'? I assumed boons for the fae and paladin were special to them, but I thought maybe I missed a generic definition somewhere in the pdf.

That bit on Page 30 is just giving an in-character explanation for someone learning the Divine Guidance move, despite being a Wizard in class.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

However, page 30 says something like 'boon like a cleric' in an example, which I guess has something to do with 'Divine guidance'?

"Boon" on page 31 is used as its normal meaning. Ditto on page 28, where it refers to Divine Guidance calling the effect you're praying for a "boon." Again, that's the common meaning and not a special gameplay meaning.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Well, it's drat near 4 in the morning here but I've been re-thinking this all night and here's The Stolen V3.

Hatred and Vengeance: should just be "root out the corruption of your once-keepers."

Absolute Freedom: is too unspecific and not tied to your keepers, unlike the other two moves. Consider "indulge in something that was once forbidden to you, when doing so would endanger yourself" or something.

Underfolk: should read "your stolen talisman does not recognise your keepers' authority."

The Society: on principle, "+1 to the next three rolls" ends up being needless bookkeeping.

Gear: the staff doesn't really add anything and seems just there for the sake of offering an option with the Reach tag; ditch it. Clothing could do with a third option, something like "an ornate and immaculate uniform" or something.

Stolen treasures: not super fond of there being a mini-signature weapon; it would be better if you ditched the +damage and +range options and added some other, more interesting tags instead. The self-playing instrument isn't as interesting as the other choices; consider making it capable of perfectly reproducing any sound it hears as well, or something.

"It acts strangely" should be replaced with an actual description of how it acts, since one of the origin options is "it doesn't recognise their authority."

Aggressively Adaptable: might want to tone down the description of inhuman senses a little bit. Other than that, since you can have up to three choices, an extra option would be nice. Maybe something about being able to alter your appearance at will, but you appear as a bald, albino, reptilian creature when exposed to the light of the Moon or something?

Troublemaker: +1 forward in exchange for causing trouble, then leaving town, then coming back seems weak.

Also, flavour-wise it'd probably make more sense as your ex-keepers being on the lookout for you.

Self-Made Man: not sure why these are tucked away in an advanced move instead of being added to the list of options for AA (the move would then be "pick two more from the AA options," obv). "Your skin is tough" needs a mechanical value.

Acquired Resistance: from a fiction perspective, why would you acquire this at level 2 rather than it being something your keepers modified you from? It feels like this should also be an option for AA, and you should have a move that lets you hide your changes instead.

I Stole Your Demons: needs to be "when you perform a ritual to crudely manipulate these forces" - otherwise it is disconnected from the bit about learning scraps of your ex-masters' magic and doesn't make much sense.

Also, the fourth option should be "you will not alert your ex-keepers' agents in the area," obviously.

The New Flesh: "you're almost more construct than flesh now" should probably have a mechanical meaning ("and no longer need to eat, drink or sleep" for example). Why would I want to always be terrifying to behold?

Revolutionary: why does it require Troublemaker, which is already a starting move? Also, same complaints about it as Troublemaker.

Other than that, really solid playbook. Seems like you're missing out on something by not having a move where you can pass yourself off as an agent of your ex-masters (roll+Cha, on a 10+ they'll do what you want out of fear of your masters, on a 7-9 they'll co-operate for now to placate you but you arouse suspicion and they'll do their best to excuse themselves and check up on your claims, on a miss they make you out).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 27, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Maybe something like:

Troublemaker
When you roll for Outstanding Warrants, you may take the complication Drew the attention of your once-keepers and gain 1 hold, regardless of the result of your roll. You may spend hold 1 for 1 to ask the GM...
  • What can I do here to oppose my once-keepers?
  • What can I do to convince people to oppose my once-keepers?
  • Where is the latest victim of my once-keepers?
  • How can I throw my once-keepers off my trail?

Revolutionary
When you roll for Outstanding Warrants, you must always take the complication Drew the attention of your once-keepers but gain 3 hold. You may spend hold 1 for 1 to ask the GM...
  • What can I do here to oppose my once-keepers?
  • What can I do to convince people to oppose my once-keepers?
  • Where is the latest victim of my once-keepers?
  • How can I throw my once-keepers off my trail?

The lists probably need work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am referring to the reference to boon in the Cleric section, on page 91. As an English Literature major with Google, I know what the word means. I apologize if I was unclear: My original question was with regards to the Boons for Clerics (I didn't put it in the question but I did put it in the heading to the question), and I was asking what kind of boons GMs have given their players. Let's go with Merriam Webster's definition, because I'm an American.

"Boon (noun): benefit, favor; especially : one that is given in answer to a request"

So, my cleric prays for guidance in regard to the orcs they're about to attack. Do GMs give out a +1 forward to Hack & Slash? Or something greater? The Paladin's Quest lays out examples for its boons, like invulnerability or an unwavering sense of direction toward whatever. Should I be borrowing these boons for my Cleric? Or offering something else?

I'm just curious what kind of things other GMs do in that situation.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Depends, who or what does the Cleric worship? What kind of intervention would they provide to one of their flock? Would Sehanine give you a +1 to H&S for bravely charging into battle? No, she'd probably provide the cover of nightfall to hide your sneaking. The Grand Earthmover might shift the ground about. The Master of Invention might spark the old and forgotten machine city back to life. It all depends on how big the action is, how significantly you're fulfilling your deity's precepts, and what you're trying to do in the first place. In other words, it's all in the fiction, but it can offer a strictly mechanical benefit if you want it to.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

sentrygun posted:

Depends, who or what does the Cleric worship? What kind of intervention would they provide to one of their flock? Would Sehanine give you a +1 to H&S for bravely charging into battle? No, she'd probably provide the cover of nightfall to hide your sneaking. The Grand Earthmover might shift the ground about. The Master of Invention might spark the old and forgotten machine city back to life. It all depends on how big the action is, how significantly you're fulfilling your deity's precepts, and what you're trying to do in the first place. In other words, it's all in the fiction, but it can offer a strictly mechanical benefit if you want it to.

Hmm. Tailoring it to the scope of the precept fulfilled is really nice. I like that. Thank you.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm planning on starting up a Skype/Roll20 game this summer, and as Dungeon World is the new hotness, that's what I'm planning on going with. Plus, every time I think of another system, I remember initiative being a thing and go "nah."

I want to run it as a side-game in my Tower setting, and the ideal thing would be to gin up a whole new set of base classes (and a different set of stats), but that'd take time/effort. I've gotten a start on it, but I'd like to kick off the game pretty quick after the semester ends, so I'm thinking mostly reskinning+some alternate class features+different racial moves and probably replacing Alignments.

So, proposed changes:

Basic moves:
Volley - Firearms holding multiple rounds will be the norm, so I'm thinking of giving most ranged weapons a tag along the line of "Mechanical" and adding "*Something minor goes wrong with your weapon, but it's useless until you can spend a minute to fix it" to the 7-9 choices. I think that's pretty distinct from the "place yourself in danger" choice
Special moves:
Make Camp, Take Watch, Undertake a Perilous Journey - My vision for the game is that the players will be the poo poo-listed maintenance crew and other people who are very competent but politically oblivious who have to go into the tunnels when something breaks, so the game would be broken into discrete "jobs" with a return to base in between. I'm thinking of completely junking Undertake into "Get Debriefed" where the PCs try to justify their budget.
Outstanding Warrants - need to change the options, probably relate them to whichever politicking faction is angry with the team at moment.

Core Classes:
Gear will need to be changed, but I figure that bit of reskinning can be farmed out to players.
The Bard - Need to come up with a different Lore list. Thoughts: "Important Bureaucrats, Notable Boondoggles, Dangerous Experiments". Need to replace A Port in a Storm, perhaps to refer to specific locations or establishments within the area.
Cleric - Out. Pretty much no god is going to give that amount of power to the kind of characters I'm hoping to get as PCs.
Druid - Need to strip out the nature bits. Druids are now monsters of bizarre science and black magic. Possible Born of the Soil replacement options: "The Rusty Engines, The Shimmering Electrons, The Howling Abyss, The Dark Corners, The Empty Dust". By Nature Sustained: socialized food for everyone in this terrible dystopia, so this no longer has much utility, but it's not super utility-having to start with in all honesty.
Fighter - Don't think it needs to change outside of reskinning.
Paladin - There actually is a god that would be down with giving magic to a guy who'll go around personally murdering dudes, but the Quest goals would have to go and the Vows would have to change. Stuff about Strength, Obedience, Bravery, Suffering, and killing cowards, traitors, or some third thing that's offensive to the Lizard-man War God. Lay on Hands would only work on injuries sustained while doing honorable combat.
Ranger - Animal Companion would be a robot, trained Bogor Hound, or bound Shadow. Add some other trainings to represent an instinctive aptitude for technology or magic. Wild Empathy would only apply to things that share some commonality with your companion. I actually wouldn't mind God Among the Wastes, because someone who is all about divine magic would be weird but somebody who has heard the heretical whispering of a Hostile Outside Entity while wandering the endless tunnels would be neat.
Thief - Explicitly expand 'trap' to include things that aren't designed to be dangerous, but have become so due to lax maintenance and construction standards. Maybe add a few new poisons, like Static Goo (Touch): For 27 hours, halts the regeneration of a regenerating creature (PS lots of the weird poo poo in the tunnels can regrow limbs)
Wizard - Out. While proscribed and logical magic is present in the setting, the Wizard doesn't quite have the "magic is dangerous poo poo for crazy people" vibe I'm looking for.

Third Party Classes I Have Known:
Templar - Hell yeah.
Medic - Great fit, I think.
Fae - May work as a Shadow if the player is willing to help me homebrew some changes.
Witch - Broomstick may be too whimsical, and also less applicable in the various derelict tunnels.
Leader - Seems like it'd work.
Noble - Different Elite Trainings, perhaps, especially ditching Horsemanship.
Mage - Focus should be an emotion, and the Shadows you command would be associated with that emotion. (Magic in the Tower world is done by commanding emotion-consuming spirits). Something like, Focus: Rage, Look: Bulging Veins, Gritted Teeth, Clenched Fists, Aligned: Incite Riot, Blast Apart, Hulk Out, Opposed: Not Wrecking poo poo, Evasion. Sorry it doesn't start with 'The' but 'The Rage' sounds silly. I guess I could go with something like 'The Burning Rage'
...hmmm, or 'The Fury.' poo poo, maybe all Mages should be MGS3 bosses.
Gladiator - Somehow don't have this one downloaded, but from seeing it in play it seems pretty rad.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Presenting, for your viewing pleasure, a rough draft of the base class. It's still incomplete and most of the ancillary stuff is missing, but you can pretty clearly see the skeleton of the class and I think I've got enough material to finish it out.

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PublicOpinion posted:

A list that doesn't include the Initiate.

:(

You want a copy of the Initiate?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
@PublicOpinion: Somewhat unrelated, but is the art in that Tower thread (which looks dope) yours?

Don't know enough about DW, but glad to see someone's got a rather non-D&D campaign setting that they're willing to hack into DW. Gives me inspiration.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

:(

You want a copy of the Initiate?

Actually turns out I have that one, I just hadn't read it previously (sorry) and missed it when I was going through my downloads folder because the filename doesn't start with "The"! Looking at it now, that would actually work really well. There are a bunch of potential player races that are just as dangerous unarmed, either because they're a weird monster or a robot, and The Initiate would work great for that.

CitizenKeen posted:

@PublicOpinion: Somewhat unrelated, but is the art in that Tower thread (which looks dope) yours?

Don't know enough about DW, but glad to see someone's got a rather non-D&D campaign setting that they're willing to hack into DW. Gives me inspiration.

Yep, that's my art.

Oh, and after typing that up, I went and did this:

MGS3 Emotional Spell Foci

Focus: The Pain
Look: Scarred Skin, Grotesque Swellings, Cloud of Insects
Aligned: Inflict Painful Wounds, Command Vermin to Attack, Ignore Your Own Pain
Opposed: Saving Anyone From Pain, Not Utilizing Vermin as Part of the Spell

Focus: The Fear
Look: Backwards Joints, Long Tongue, Slitted Pupils
Aligned: Escape from Danger, Sow the Seeds of Inevitable Death, Breed Paranoia
Opposed: Inflict Direct and Immediate Harm, Meeting a Foe on Equal Terms

Focus: The End
Look: Ancient Flesh, Tangled Beard , Tired Eyes
Aligned: Take a Life, Sustain Yourself, Listen to the Earth
Opposed: Harming an Unworthy Opponent, Fighting Dirty

Focus: The Fury
Look: Blistered Skin, Bulging Veins, No Indoor Voice
Aligned: Set It On Fire, Get Into The Fight, Wantonly Destroy
Opposed: Using Spells Without Destruction, Moderating Your Power

Focus: The Sorrow
Look: Pallid Skin, Perpetually Wet, Bloody Tears
Aligned: Make Them Face Their Crimes, Hear the Spirits, Move Without Trace
Opposed: Dealing Direct Harm, Disrespecting the Dead

Focus: The Joy
Look: Grim Face, Lined Skin, Hard Eyes
Aligned: Purify with Burning Light, Shatter an Obstacle, Go Beyond Human Frailty
Opposed: Not Serving the Mission, Not Putting Yourself in Danger

I think some of these versions are too specific to the Cobra Unit to work except as a gimmick, but interesting to think about and use as a starting point.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 28, 2013

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Urge to make a hack based on Metal Gear solid rising.
Or just a compendium class that makes a Big Boss esque figure.

"When you're forced to betray someone close to you and swear to honor their memory, you may take the following move the next time you level up..."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Urge to make a hack based on Metal Gear solid rising.

It seems like the best way to approach it would be from the 'evil' side, as it's always the bad guys who have a team (full of weird people with unique skills). It seems like every boss would make an obvious playbook. The Duelist, The Psychic, The Sniper, The Giant, The Cyborg Ninja, The Decoy, The Clone, The Vampire, The Bomber. Well, maybe not every boss, but really, where could you go with Fortune.

EDIT: The first player of the first character to die would get handed the Cyborg Ninja, and would then jump into the scene as needed to pursue their own goal. The Cyborg Ninja must then die at the climax of the session, and can only die then.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 28, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So I was going to work on The Fool today, but instead reworked The Giant.

I changed the starting moves that referred to size and carried consequences substantially. Now I don't specifically mention size, but more the things you can do as a Giant, and the problems you will encounter because of your size. There are advanced moves that influence the options you have when making these moves.

The Giant posted:

Larger Than Life
Your large size gives you both advantages and disadvantages. When you bring your size and strength to bear against a problem, roll +Str. *On a 10+, you choose 2 Actions and the GM chooses 2 Consequences. *On a 7-9, you choose 1 Action, and the GM chooses 3 consequences:

Actions

You send someone or something of your choice flying
You deal your damage
You crush or smash an item or object of your choice
You pick up someone or something the size of a human
You clear an obstacle with a great leap or stride
You make an opening that was too small just large enough

Consequences

Your surroundings are damaged by your actions
Someone you don’t want harmed is put in danger
Something important is knocked out of reach or damaged
you lose your footing or get stuck
you are attacked, or suffer damage from the environment
You draw unwanted attention to youraself or others

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

Third Party Classes I Have Known:

No Shaman? You monster.

The mechanical tag/additional option on Volley sounds perfectly fine, although "a minute" is long - should be "several seconds," probably; it doesn't take that long to clear a jam or restring a bow.

e; madadric, that's a much better core move for the Giant - I think with that, the only problem left to overcome is what "big" actually means, because bigger than about 10-12ft is going to be unplayable in Dungeon World.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 28, 2013

Noxjunx
Jul 25, 2009
I just picked up this book a couple days ago and I'm loving it. This thread has been awesome as well and the gm guide was really informative.

For the past couple months I have been running a Shadowrun game and the greatly simplified mechanics make DW really refreshing. I have, and I think my players as well, have been kind of frustrated how long it takes combat to happen in Shadowrun. One Hack and Slash roll to resolve a player and opponents attack is loving fantastic

Next week we will be down a player so I figure I'll do a DW one shot. I want to start the game with them entering a dungeon and let the 'who what why how' fall into place during character creation. How much planning does everyone generally do for dungeon dives? I feel like it's lazy to just make up everything as I go but that kind of seems to be the point of this game.

Also, does anyone have any advice for running a DW game with just 2 players. Since there is only three of us, it seems like I should be contributing more to the setting/etc instead of just asking the two players questions the whole time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No Shaman? You monster.

The mechanical tag/additional option on Volley sounds perfectly fine, although "a minute" is long - should be "several seconds," probably; it doesn't take that long to clear a jam or restring a bow.

Looking at the Shaman, it would sort of work, but it'd need to be rejiggered to focus on the Shadows instead of ghosts, and so would sort of overlap with a reskinned Druid. My idea for the Tower and related cosmologies is that the souls of the dead very quickly get consumed by the world unless you make specific ritual preparations before the person actually dies--this was actually the basis for my Monster Ecology things, which mostly all have "Dead person gets eaten by world -> to protect itself, the world spits out the bad parts of their soul as a monster" theme.

And "several seconds" does sound like a better timeframe; I went with "a minute" since "a moment" seemed to short.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I should release the Marksman and you should use it since you have guns and it has guns.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
A friend of mine has put together a Dungeon World class that I believe demands immediate attention.

Hold onto your butts, It's the Muscle Wizard

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

axelsoar posted:

A friend of mine has put together a Dungeon World class that I believe demands immediate attention.

Hold onto your butts, It's the Muscle Wizard

Well, my initial reaction is that it offers little other than face-punching with a magic theme, and virtually nothing other than combat options. (Having not played - I hate that caveat), the fact that the class has no moves other than a slap-Parley that can be used in an adventure context would make it rather limiting.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; madadric, that's a much better core move for the Giant - I think with that, the only problem left to overcome is what "big" actually means, because bigger than about 10-12ft is going to be unplayable in Dungeon World.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't agree with this at all.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

I should release the Marksman and you should use it since you have guns and it has guns.

Do you mean the Sharpshooter again? Because I'm okay with the Marksman class I wrote sharing the name but I do think it might get kinda confusing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Anyone have a way to give the thief more options? My player mostly defies danger with dex and does earth shattering backstabs. He always comes up with social solutions, but it's hard to challenge him creatively in combat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, it's that time again~~~

Stolen V4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w07GkjT_1--y0WLGumT0PKBW4xwCjPiDg8fBPK_oyDk/edit?usp=sharing

I think it's probably polished enough to call it good and ready for play, though I'm still taking suggestions.

E: Really my biggest problem is I don't know which options I want to go under Aggressively Altered and which under Self-Made Man

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 29, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Oh hey, it's that time again~~~

Stolen V4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w07GkjT_1--y0WLGumT0PKBW4xwCjPiDg8fBPK_oyDk/edit?usp=sharing

I think it's probably polished enough to call it good and ready for play, though I'm still taking suggestions.

E: Really my biggest problem is I don't know which options I want to go under Aggressively Altered and which under Self-Made Man

If you're looking to move from aggressively altered to self-made man, the nose/ears/color changing ones seem like probably the most useful of the bunch.

Speaking of classes: the basic and advanced moves of the class are basically finished. One important thing to note, since I don't think any other playbooks have done something similar: if there are multiple advanced moves that can potentially replace a single basic move, you can only choose one. One thing I really like about what I've got so far is how in that sense the mechanics themselves tell a story about the PC as they choose which approach they want to take to their condition.

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 10, 2017

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And the Inverse World Kickstarter is live!

We've got your digital tier, your physical book tier, a physical book tier that comes with cool stuff (all the ones after this also come with cool stuff), your tier where Mikan doodles words in your book before sending it to you, your tier where I doodle pictures and words in your book before sending it to you, your international tier because international shipping has gotten really rude lately, and those expensive tiers where we work with you to make something cool and unique.

Wait, cool stuff, you ask? What could that possibly be? How about...

...postcards from select cool locations from the Inverse World setting? Featured above is the Cloud Seas, and there's plenty of other cool places besides. There will be five in total, and we'll reveal more as I finish more concept art/our awesome artists get them done.

Also, as promised before the kickstarter even ran, all backers will immediately receive the full Inverse World playbooks, completely up and ready to run! And if you don't feel like backing without a sample, there is a link to the playbook previews buried in there too. Check it out!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Consider yaself backed, pally.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Finally I can give you all my money. I'd pay $10 just for these cool playbooks. Getting the pdf on top is icing on the cake.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Did my part, and also reblogged out on the tumblrs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That looks right up my group's alley, gnome. I'll pass the link on to them, I know a couple will be as into this concept as me and back.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

gnome7 posted:

Inverse World

I tossed in :10bux: to the cause, those class previews are rad as hell. I am incapable of deciding of playing a Mechanic or Wind Dancer first.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Likewise for Survivor/Captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikan posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I don't agree with this at all.

Exact same reason why giving everyone flight doesn't really work in Dungeon World base - it's Dungeon World, and while there are dungeons that aren't structures built to human scale, it is still a setting assumption that you'll end up in caves or castles or an actual dungeon, with mechanics built accordingly. Being any taller than that would break those assumptions, and could only properly work in a non-core setting.