Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Wait, why would it be game breaking if the enemies are always scaled to your level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

Wait, why would it be game breaking if the enemies are always scaled to your level?

I think because you have all of your skills or something at that point, right?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Lycus posted:

An imported vanguard can have a fully leveled charge and nova in the first minutes of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I believe Bioware said they wanted to avoid the Metroid/God of War/etc kind of situation where you ended the previous game a god but have to immediately be knocked down to nothing at the start of the sequel. I actually appreciated that, Shepard wouldn't have spent those months on Earth not keeping in shape after all :colbert:

An option to start at level 0 wouldn't be missed though, unless there is one?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Thought some of you guys like to know about this - AR-K, a point-and-click adventure game, has a Kickstarter up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/ar-k-an-old-school-game-with-a-new-twist. Episode 1 is available for free at http://www.gatosalvajestudio.com/english and the KS is for the following episodes. The ME connection is that from Episode 2 onwards, the lead character Alicia will be played by Ash Sroka. They need $100k.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Kibayasu posted:

I believe Bioware said they wanted to avoid the Metroid/God of War/etc kind of situation where you ended the previous game a god but have to immediately be knocked down to nothing at the start of the sequel. I actually appreciated that, Shepard wouldn't have spent those months on Earth not keeping in shape after all :colbert:

And it was the right call. Bioware decided to start you at level 1-5 in ME2 because the game mechanics were so different from ME1. So they came up with a transparent contrivance—Shepard dying—in order to explain it. Shepard's death and resurrection is the weakest plot point in the entire trilogy that isn't ME3's ending.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Draile posted:

And it was the right call. Bioware decided to start you at level 1-5 in ME2 because the game mechanics were so different from ME1. So they came up with a transparent contrivance—Shepard dying—in order to explain it. Shepard's death and resurrection is the weakest plot point in the entire trilogy that isn't ME3's ending.

On the other hand, it led to the events in the plot of Citadel DLC, so I'm willing to overlook it.

Also, the opening to ME2 is by far my favorite in the series, and one of my favorite openings in any game. Regardless of how stupid it was to pull in Shepard dying in the first place, watching him die and the Normandy explode was amazing for the first time. Hell, I just played through the opening again this morning and was still engaged. Then you wake up, have to scramble around in a setting that's as new/weird for the returning player as it is for the returning player character (what with thermal clips and all the new abilities and movement systems), and witness the coolest Bioware intro character death there is.

The thing that was the stupidest for me though was listening to all the discrepancies in how Shepard reacts to hearing he died. First he hears it's been two years from Jacob, but later when Miranda mentions it he gets all perplexed. Also the whole game (and the next one) there periodic conversation flips between Shepard accepting he was "as dead as dead can be" and not knowing "it was that bad."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This is probably the wrong place for this question, but there's no Mass Effect 1 thread anymore.

Just got to the point in ME1 where I've got the ship and can go do pretty much whatever the hell I want. Landed on the first planet that would let me land, ran around for a bit in the mako.

I noticed there are a bunch of things on the planet, and outside of the things that are shooting at me, I don't seem to be able to interact with any of them. Am I supposed to be able to leave the mako? I couldn't find a command for it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

RickVoid posted:

This is probably the wrong place for this question, but there's no Mass Effect 1 thread anymore.

Just got to the point in ME1 where I've got the ship and can go do pretty much whatever the hell I want. Landed on the first planet that would let me land, ran around for a bit in the mako.

I noticed there are a bunch of things on the planet, and outside of the things that are shooting at me, I don't seem to be able to interact with any of them. Am I supposed to be able to leave the mako? I couldn't find a command for it.

B on Xbox, O on PS3, I have no idea what the button is on PC. Make sure the Mako's stopped.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

B on Xbox, O on PS3, I have no idea what the button is on PC. Make sure the Mako's stopped.

I am on the PC.

Figures. You'd think they'd have thought to put it in the controls section.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's whatever the button is for cancel/back out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

I am on the PC.

Figures. You'd think they'd have thought to put it in the controls section.

'E' and 'Q', to get in and exit, respectively.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I missed clicking on the space hamster when he was running around the lower deck. How do I make him reappear? I miss my hamster :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just use gibbed to edit him into your cabin.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Well I just hosed my ending by shooting the hologram kid at the end. Oh well.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I did that the first time I played with the extended cut. I was upset, but then......quite satisfied. I'd still rather do destroy, but I thought giving the next cycle the help it needed to win worked too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

Well I just hosed my ending by shooting the hologram kid at the end. Oh well.

You didn't really gently caress it up so much as waste the previous 45 minutes :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This is why you should always make saves in the middle of the Priority: Earth mission whenever possible. The last time you can do this (I think) is just before the alley with the two Brutes that leads to the Thanix Missile trucks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Didn't save at that point. I'm in no hurry to play through any of Priority: Earth again, anyway. That part at the end with the Banshees took me forever as a Vanguard. They kept instant-killing me as soon as my charge hit them. Thanks to youtube, I can look up the ending where Shepard becomes a machine-god and pretend I did that one.

edit: Also I forgot that after one of my deaths during the last fight, the game decided to start loading with 0 med gels. Because gently caress me, that's why.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 29, 2013

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

1st AD posted:

Just use gibbed to edit him into your cabin.

360 :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chasiubao posted:

I missed clicking on the space hamster when he was running around the lower deck. How do I make him reappear? I miss my hamster :(

Just wait, he'll show up again. It usually takes me a few tries to catch him.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

IcePhoenix posted:

Just wait, he'll show up again. It usually takes me a few tries to catch him.

Yeah, this isn't hard at all. You can literally just stand there and look down and wait and then click the button over and over if you want to do it the lazy way. He'll come into your field at some point.

I just grabbed him this afternoon after running around collecting my model ships. What the hell was the point of the model ships being all over? I can see the hamster escaping. I can see someone loving with my quarters. I can't see them taking my models and hiding them around the ship.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waltzing Along posted:

I just grabbed him this afternoon after running around collecting my model ships. What the hell was the point of the model ships being all over? I can see the hamster escaping. I can see someone loving with my quarters. I can't see them taking my models and hiding them around the ship.

"Hey Sal, check out these cool ships and stuff."
"Man don't touch those, they're Shepard's!"
"That fool's in jail, your kid would love that Geth Dreadnought, and I like this Alliance Warship... doesn't Sully have an Asari-mad daughter? Give him the Destiny Ascension!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Professor Wayne posted:

Didn't save at that point. I'm in no hurry to play through any of Priority: Earth again, anyway. That part at the end with the Banshees took me forever as a Vanguard. They kept instant-killing me as soon as my charge hit them. Thanks to youtube, I can look up the ending where Shepard becomes a machine-god and pretend I did that one.

edit: Also I forgot that after one of my deaths during the last fight, the game decided to start loading with 0 med gels. Because gently caress me, that's why.

To the left of the rear missile vehicle there's a ruined shop. Get inside and grab the Hydra missile launcher stashed behind the counter. It'll instakill one of the Banshees for you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I haven't used one of those in a while, but don't they work just like the Cobra missiles do in MP? You should be able to kite a couple Banshees and then shoot the Hydra at their feet and kill them all with splash damage.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Holy crap, why have I never played Vanguard before? This is great.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

1st AD posted:

This is why you should always make saves in the middle of the Priority: Earth mission whenever possible. The last time you can do this (I think) is just before the alley with the two Brutes that leads to the Thanix Missile trucks.

I think if you do the Defy ending, you can load your last autosave which puts you at the run for the beam. I did this once. I didn't think the Defy would be so bad (and funny thing, it won't give you a trophy for beating the game)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lycus posted:

Holy crap, why have I never played Vanguard before? This is great.

:psyduck:

How long have you been around, posting in ME threads? And you haven't played Vanguard until NOW?

I ... You ... I don't even

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ineffiable posted:

I think if you do the Defy ending, you can load your last autosave which puts you at the run for the beam. I did this once. I didn't think the Defy would be so bad (and funny thing, it won't give you a trophy for beating the game)

Haha what. Bioware was really trying to make it the poo poo on the player ending. I still like the idea of it and that they put it in there at all, but man.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

mastajake posted:

Haha what. Bioware was really trying to make it the poo poo on the player ending. I still like the idea of it and that they put it in there at all, but man.

Yeah it's kinda funny looking back at it now. The simple answer is, they forgot to make it trigger the flag for a completed 'ending'

but man did it piss me off since I didn't get any of the trophies related to beating the game eg. beat the game with an imported character, beat the game.) and I had to restart and make shepard crawl, and listen to TiMs speech and jesus drat it.

I guess I'm kind of annoyed that the Defy ending was so short.

No lie though, Citadel dlc is a very needed break from that. Everyone should seriously buy Citadel. It's like a self contained story that would pass for a good hollywood film, and you get to hang out with your space bros afterwards.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

1st AD posted:

It also helps to either Alt+Tab or exit the game and copy the latest AutoSave file at strategic moments.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

1st AD posted:

I haven't used one of those in a while, but don't they work just like the Cobra missiles do in MP? You should be able to kite a couple Banshees and then shoot the Hydra at their feet and kill them all with splash damage.

SP hydras shoot a whole bunch of homing insta-kill missiles that only require enemies in your immediate view for aiming. That was really frustrating in MP when I kept shooting into the sky and wondering why I wasn't hitting anything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

How long have you been around, posting in ME threads? And you haven't played Vanguard until NOW?

I'm sorry. I... I didn't listen.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

SP hydras shoot a whole bunch of homing insta-kill missiles that only require enemies in your immediate view for aiming. That was really frustrating in MP when I kept shooting into the sky and wondering why I wasn't hitting anything.

Wow this is stupid and pointless if there's no splash damage.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

1st AD posted:

The final Citadel section in the game is its own section called, Citadel: The Return.

It triggers right after Shepard is lasered and you can reload the game from that point.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Burning Mustache posted:

That's nothing, wanna see me make you rage like a god?

I have played Vanguard since the very beginning of this series.

...I have NEVER...used Biotic Charge and Nova, together.

I have played this class wrong for six goddamn years.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Burning Mustache posted:

Guess what?

Me neither. :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It took me till late-game in ME3 (Thessia, I think? Maybe even after that) before I actually paid attention and noticed that having Shepard carry one of each weapon was drastically increasing power reload times. I was wondering why people were raving about Charge when I had to wait so long to use it again :negative:

In my defense, Shepard always carried one of each weapon in the previous games and the weapon-choice screen was usually completely pointless.

But on the other hand, maybe I should pay some goddamn attention to the game I'm playing :mad:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Guess what?

Me neither. :smug:

This is nothing to be smug about. You are less than trash and you do not know true power until you've played Vanguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

It's you.
You're the terrible pubbies the people in the ME3 MP thread are complaining about. :shepface:

• Locked thread