Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I thought scuba was definitely confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Faltese Malkin posted:

I believe Rockstar has already said that there will be fully detailed ocean coast line that you can explore, including underwater caves

I hope this means they will have RDR style challhenges in this game.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

GyverMac posted:

I hope this means they will have RDR style challhenges in this game.

Do you mean those stranger missions from RDR? Both random encounters, and RDR-stranger type missions will be in

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

N. Senada posted:

I'd love it if you could confirm this.

I can. I knew that was what the one on his back said when I saw the first character (ren) just because, you know, it's Brucie, but I wasn't sure until I got a good look at it, but that's what it is, yes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Faltese Malkin posted:

Do you mean those stranger missions from RDR? Both random encounters, and RDR-stranger type missions will be in

I think he means ambient challenges like "murder ten seals with a purple dildo."

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sirbeefalot posted:

I think he means ambient challenges like "murder ten seals with a purple dildo."

Yup. I loved that poo poo, and it gave a real insentive to explore the area and experiment with various weapons.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Scuba Diving?! Anyone remember the days when you stepped foot in the water and drowned? I only hope the cops drive off into the ocean with you, even though you have scuba gear and they don't. Maybe I enjoy these games for the wrong reasons?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Scuba Diving?! Anyone remember the days when you stepped foot in the water and drowned? I only hope the cops drive off into the ocean with you, even though you have scuba gear and they don't. Maybe I enjoy these games for the wrong reasons?

I think watching AI drivers destroy themselves in hilarious ways is one of the most correct reasons to enjoy GTA.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Alright, I picked up TBOGT yesterday on steam and my PC more than meets the requirements to run it. However I am getting sluggish FPS when I try to play, anyone know where to start?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Got Vice City Stories on PSN and got up to Jive Drive. It finally picked up after Vic kills Marty and gets his own gang. I like the city in this one better than in the original Vice City. Tons more color and details, though that could be expected with a four year difference between release dates.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Big new trailer for V that's split into 3 parts, one for each character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38HiYPMiI

I don't want to get overhyped but this does really look incredible. I thought GTA4 would have been perfect if it had more of three things: color, crazy fun, & variety. It definitely looks like they're covering those three bases with this one.

edit: and the faces look so good ungggghh. After watching this stuff Nico Bellic looks like a miserable pile of blurry grey polygons.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 30, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It looks like they're aiming to make this the definitive GTA, bringing as much of what everyone's been demanding back as possible. I'm unbelievably excited for the return of Grove Street and the Ballas; that was my favorite part of San Andreas' story and I can't wait to get more.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I can't ever tell if the guys that make trailers do it purposely unless you can really tell but my favorite part about Michael's trailer is how the sounds and actions kinda match with the beat of the music playing. Gave it sort of a "whimsical" feel to me, which is good. You can hear it a lot especially after he responds to the therapist about being addicted to chaos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I can't ever tell if the guys that make trailers do it purposely unless you can really tell but my favorite part about Michael's trailer is how the sounds and actions kinda match with the beat of the music playing. Gave it sort of a "whimsical" feel to me, which is good. You can hear it a lot especially after he responds to the therapist about being addicted to chaos.

Given as much scrutiny as those videos will be put under, I would bet that every single frame of the trailers is intentional.

Rockstar knows people will be going through them frame by frame.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The graphics are awesome. Is this really seven year old hardware?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yes, it is the engine that had been used this entire generation. The longer a console is around, the more tricks and hacks can be implemented to take advantage of hardware. Improving something like an AI routine could free up resources that then gets spent physics, for example.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know if these shots are actually on consoles? Some earlier screenshots were obviously on PCs because of the high res textures.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Looks like GTA 1&2 are being rereleased as PSone classics, in case you wanted the entire series (except Chinatown wars and advance, I guess) on your PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-grand-theft-auto-1-and-2-spotted-for-ps3-vita-release

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The rear end Stooge posted:

It looks like they're aiming to make this the definitive GTA, bringing as much of what everyone's been demanding back as possible. I'm unbelievably excited for the return of Grove Street and the Ballas; that was my favorite part of San Andreas' story and I can't wait to get more.

Will I be able to run over a dozen Elvis impersonator pedestrians in a row?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

davebo posted:

Will I be able to run over a dozen Elvis impersonator pedestrians in a row?

COOOOPPPPP KILLERR!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I got the entire series on Steam for 7,5 euros, and III alone is already paying for itself. Story is concise, characters are all nicely done, each with his own spin on things (for example Tony not caring much about the Family), and for a game that's 11 years old it still is very much playable.
Looking forward to playing through the three III games (III, VC, SA) before hitting 4 and the DLC, which I know almost nothing about.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 1, 2013

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Spalec posted:

Looks like GTA 1&2 are being rereleased as PSone classics, in case you wanted the entire series (except Chinatown wars and advance, I guess) on your PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-grand-theft-auto-1-and-2-spotted-for-ps3-vita-release

Grand Theft Auto 2 was rated T? I...guess that makes sense. I remember loading a bus full of Krishnas into a hot dog meat factory but I don't remember much blood and cussing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I doubt it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

GTA 2 and GTA 1 on the PS1 and Game Boy (GBC in GTA2's case) were rated Teen, but that's just because they were cut from the PC originals to sell to a wider audience. Notably, any blood and most of the swearing was cut. I think otherwise the ESRB was fine with it (haven't really looked into it that much), since besides those two things getting cut, they only changed the mission you mentioned: in the original version, you just grab random civilians. Apparently making hot dogs out of people is totally fine if they're criminals!

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

An Unoriginal Name posted:

It always weirds me out when people bring this up because of course thats intentional? That's like the entire point? Anytime someone's mashing footage together to music, they're doing their best to do that. Especially in trailers and highlight reels.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The editing that really impressed me was Trevor's trailer, especially the second half. Whoever cut all three has a very high level sense for that kinetic feel and continuing movement between cuts. It probably doesn't hurt that there's a mountain of footage you can use and apperantly a lot of it involves Trevor stunting all over the place.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know if these shots are actually on consoles? Some earlier screenshots were obviously on PCs because of the high res textures.

I think the trailers are the console version, but running on PC development hardware of some type.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ruflux posted:

GTA 2 and GTA 1 on the PS1 and Game Boy (GBC in GTA2's case) were rated Teen, but that's just because they were cut from the PC originals to sell to a wider audience. Notably, any blood and most of the swearing was cut. I think otherwise the ESRB was fine with it (haven't really looked into it that much), since besides those two things getting cut, they only changed the mission you mentioned: in the original version, you just grab random civilians. Apparently making hot dogs out of people is totally fine if they're criminals!

GTA 1 and 2 for the Game Boy/Game Boy Color were really quite amazing. They got the full maps from the PC version in there, and aside from some minor censoring the missions were the exact same. I loved having them as a kid.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Serperoth posted:

I got the entire series on Steam for 7,5 euros, and III alone is already paying for itself. Story is concise, characters are all nicely done, each with his own spin on things (for example Tony not caring much about the Family), and for a game that's 11 years old it still is very much playable.
Looking forward to playing through the three III games (III, VC, SA) before hitting 4 and the DLC, which I know almost nothing about.

GTA3 is oddly enough the easiest one to get working.

Vice City is fine unless you want to use a 360 controller or some other xinput gamepad. If you want to do that there's some xpadder control scheme and settings.ini for Vice City you have to find on the internet or you can set it up manually with joy2key and this guide here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848465 (The guide also has stuff for GTA3 and San Andreas)

For San Andreas you have a little bit more work to do. I wrote this for some goon on the steam thread and it should guide you through what you have to do: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510690&pagenumber=819&perpage=40#post414929267

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

havenwaters posted:

Vice City is fine unless you want to use a 360 controller or some other xinput gamepad. If you want to do that there's some xpadder control scheme and settings.ini for Vice City you have to find on the internet or you can set it up manually with joy2key and this guide here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848465 (The guide also has stuff for GTA3 and San Andreas)

For San Andreas you have a little bit more work to do. I wrote this for some goon on the steam thread and it should guide you through what you have to do: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510690&pagenumber=819&perpage=40#post414929267

Oh yeah I'm playing it, I know it's working :v:
I meant "playable" in a "even though it's dated, it's an enjoyable thing to play" sense, not that it's not running. Aside from two minor graphical issues, I've had zero problems with the game.
Don't really care much about gamepad, but thanks for your post, at a glance it looks helpful if I do decide to go for it, not to mention the thing about the frame limit stuff.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The Frame limit stuff is pretty much required. Also if you're going to be using a mouse you will need to add another step to the SA stuff. You have to set affinity to one core or else the mouse may stop working at random intervals.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Serperoth posted:

You are in for a treat. I wish I could play the whole series again for the first time. I actually played it backwards (SA, VC, III), so the games got worse as I went along, but I still had a blast and I replay each one of them pretty regularly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
In the first few instances the police lightbars seemed pretty bad. Ill have to look more into this, they better not gently caress it up.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

havenwaters posted:

Hey man,

Thank you as I have been trying to get San Andreas to work properly on my PC forever with widescreen and a controller. This finally let me.

One final thing though - I am on Windows 7 64bit and the colours are a bit whacky. Some are perfect but some are just way too dark - especially when it's meant to be low lighting (under a bridge, in cut scenes) and CJ in particular looks really wonky. Is there a fix for this or even a graphics mod that is easy to use?

Cheers,

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

teacup posted:

Hey man,

Thank you as I have been trying to get San Andreas to work properly on my PC forever with widescreen and a controller. This finally let me.

One final thing though - I am on Windows 7 64bit and the colours are a bit whacky. Some are perfect but some are just way too dark - especially when it's meant to be low lighting (under a bridge, in cut scenes) and CJ in particular looks really wonky. Is there a fix for this or even a graphics mod that is easy to use?

Cheers,

Make sure you aren't running the game on 16-bit colors mode. That could cause the colors to be weird (go check your resolution in the menu)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

havenwaters posted:

Make sure you aren't running the game on 16-bit colors mode. That could cause the colors to be weird (go check your resolution in the menu)

As a sorta-related note, GTA2 requires you to switch your Windows to 16-bit colours if you want to run it in windowed mode (it says so in the readme/known issues thing, but might as well say it)

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I got GTA2 last night, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Brings me back to my childhood. But I cant find a church to save the game for the life of me. I keep having to quit before I can save.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

teacup posted:

Hey man,

Cheers,

Are you sure it's an error and not just how it is? San Andreas mostly looks like dogshit now under the best circumstances.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I got GTA2 last night, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Brings me back to my childhood. But I cant find a church to save the game for the life of me. I keep having to quit before I can save.

You'll want to have these printed out or available on your phone or something.

http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=57&game=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hope Franklin isn't going to be a complete copy of CJ, I'm not really sure I like how much they're referencing Grove Street and all. His voice even sounds almost exactly like CJ.

• Locked thread