Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

What kind of job do you have where you're off work before 6 most days? I literally have no choice because by the time I get off work and get home, it's past 6. I can't do all my shopping for the week on Saturday.

You're supposed to have a stay at home wife that does the shopping for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

dreamin' posted:

What about a stay at home same sex partner? Maybe the CDU/CSU would actually support same sex marriage if we could just ensure that some semblance of a traditional family life is put in place (gays can marry but only one can work):negative:.

The one great thing about the current idiocy going on within the ruling party is that certain activists/politicians (it's Volker Beck) get to have a field day ripping on people for being idiots, and thus hopefully as we get more airtime for the issue more and more people will come to accept same-sex marriage/families as a reasonable and equal thing.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

I was in Kiel recently and was shocked to see that a Rewe was open from 6-23 Uhr Friday-Saturday and from 7-23 Uhr on Sunday :monocle: Is this a common occurrence in the north?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

dreamin' posted:

Isn't that the whole point of Sundays off? "Family time". Germany is not a very singles friendly place!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Hi there.

I'm moving to Munich mid-April as an internal transfer with my employer. I have a whole loving bunch of questions about renting an apartment.

- Everything I've read indicates that I can't get a local bank account until I've secured my residence permit. Is it reasonable to provide my employment contract as proof of income, since I can't get a bank account yet?
- How would I pay the deposit, etc for a place if I don't have a local bank account? Do landlords typically accept wire transfers from US banks?
- What the hell would I do if I don't find a place to live by the time I need to register a permanent address at the Rathaus?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not sure about your first two questions, but for your third, you can register at the buergeramt even if you don't have an apartment lined up (i.e. - just use the address from your hotel).

true.spoon posted:

I've helped exchange students with opening bank accounts and in my experience the banks don't give a poo poo about permits, all they usually ask for is an address for sending the card and PIN-code.

You can always have them get your EC Karte sent to the bank and just pick it up there.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 12, 2013

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I've helped exchange students with opening bank accounts and in my experience the banks don't give a poo poo about permits, all they usually ask for is an address for sending the card and PIN-code. Giving the address of a hotel might raise eyebrows though and banks in Munich might have stricter policies.
It's a bit hard to say what landlords usually accept. From my experience small private landlords would always take cash and I suppose bigger ones should accept international transfer (and maybe cash as well?!).
From all I hear getting an apartment around Munich is somewhat difficult, perhaps you'll need to look a bit outside.
I recommend getting a cellphone (fun fact, cellphone is called Handy in German, derived from the English word) as fast as possible for contacting landlords and everything (if cellphones from your country don't work in Germany). In theory you need a permanent address to get a cellphone but they really don't care about the address you give at the shop.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It should be noted that we have a Germany thread in A/T as well which would probably be better suited to your questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205129

(Making sure everything ends up in the right place is the quintessential Germany experience. Once you see our recycling system, you will get the joke).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ah, the German recycling system.
Not only do you pay extra for the privilege, but they burn 15/16th of the waste anyway.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The things I chuck into my gelber Sack...I dare not say :ninja:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Thanks all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The things I chuck into my gelber Sack...I dare not say :ninja:

related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kNeHWxF_U (the height of German comedy)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Na geh, der blade in Wien is traurig, seine Olympia Traeume gestorben durch des Volkes Willen.

Erst die Wehrpflicht, und jetzt des. Ich glaub der macht ka Volksbefragung mehr.

Edit: well that's awkward, wrong thread.

Riso fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 13, 2013

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

ArchangeI posted:

related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kNeHWxF_U (the height of German comedy)

I was totally expecting something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPIPzGBxYE (for quite some time the standard of German comedy)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Once again, we can't make up our mind on what to do with the NPD.
This time, government won't try to have the NPD banned by our supreme court, while the Bundestag wants to vote on bringing the issue before the court themselves, leading to hilarious exchanges:
FDP-head Rösler says we can't ban stupidity.
Response from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's interior minister: "If minister Rösler says we can't ban stupidity, then I can only say: indeed we can't" :iceburn:
("Wenn Herr Minister Rösler sagt, Dummheit könne man nicht verbieten, sage ich: Dummheit kann man tatsächlich nicht verbieten.")

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

blowfish posted:

Once again, we can't make up our mind on what to do with the NPD.
This time, government won't try to have the NPD banned by our supreme court, while the Bundestag wants to vote on bringing the issue before the court themselves, leading to hilarious exchanges:
FDP-head Rösler says we can't ban stupidity.
Response from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's interior minister: "If minister Rösler says we can't ban stupidity, then I can only say: indeed we can't" :iceburn:
("Wenn Herr Minister Rösler sagt, Dummheit könne man nicht verbieten, sage ich: Dummheit kann man tatsächlich nicht verbieten.")

More of this NPD hilarity in the Bundestag today, who knows where it will end up.

Also on Rösler: I met him today and hung out for a few minutes and drat he is cool.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Posting this here so maybe the NSU chat'll stay out of the language thread:

Spiegel Online posted:

[...]
Insgesamt hatten 927 Medien und Medienvertreter eine Akkreditierung für das Verfahren beantragt. 324 Lose wurden bei der Auslosung berücksichtigt. Abgewiesen wurden 30, weil sie die Voraussetzungen für eine Akkreditierung nicht erfüllt hatten.
[...]
Bei der Nennung einiger, vor allem kleinerer Medien oder der Frauenzeitschrift "Brigitte" brach im Saal unter den Journalisten Gelächter aus.
[...]

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
So did Brigitte get a spot?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, that's why they're laughing.

I find it more baffling nobody's laughing about Focus getting a spot.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ah, i'm dumb and didn't see that the quote title was a link. I though maybe they had been reading applicants or something.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
On the bright side, it brought FAZ, TAZ and Die Welt together in that all of them are thinking about suing because they didn't get in.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

:shepface:

You just know that if Ratzinger was still pope, he'd be on there too. Remember the neurotic way national pride was discussed during the 2006 World Cup? Could we maybe go back to that?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That's just Titanic being silly again isn't it?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zwille posted:

That's just Titanic being silly again isn't it?

Nope, it was bild.de so lose all hope now, next stop 4. Reich (the 4th Reich will consist of annexing various Mediterranean islands in exchange for bailouts so that all the Uebermenschen are guaranteed a sunny holiday).

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 3, 2013

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Lebensraum am Ballermann :suicide:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
What the ..? Fab isn't even German, they just happen to have an office in Berlin. :psyduck:

And I also initially thought it was Titanic frontpage cartoon, but no. Of course not.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Each May Day I hope some people finally burn down the Springer headquarters.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Landsknecht posted:

Nope, it was bild.de so lose all hope now, next stop 4. Reich (the 4th Reich will consist of annexing various Mediterranean islands in exchange for bailouts so that all the Uebermenschen are guaranteed a sunny holiday).

The Volks-everything they put out didn't tip you off? They are German Foxnews, only less fair and balanced.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Landsknecht posted:

More of this NPD hilarity in the Bundestag today, who knows where it will end up.

Also on Rösler: I met him today and hung out for a few minutes and drat he is cool.

Really? Everytime I see him in the media he looks completely clueless and you just want to take him into your arms and say "na na, du wächst schon noch"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Rösler looks pretty clueless and weak. But on the other hand he is about to successfully change the FDP into something less disgusting so I'm sure we're all underestimating him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, Rösler looks pretty clueless and weak. But on the other hand he is about to successfully change the FDP into something that won't get 5%, ever, again.

I fixed this.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
These two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Teron D Amun posted:

Really? Everytime I see him in the media he looks completely clueless and you just want to take him into your arms and say "na na, du wächst schon noch"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, Rösler looks pretty clueless and weak. But on the other hand he is about to successfully change the FDP into something less disgusting so I'm sure we're all underestimating him.

That was the big surprise. He comes across totally different personally than he does whenever he's giving an interview, but he's pretty good on an interpersonal level and quite nice, I guess it explains how he's leading the FDP before he's 40.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
So which of you goons went to Schwabisch Hall this weekend to ambush me about why there are still American Soldiers in Germany?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The NSU trial is starting today.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/05/2013565348497186.html

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Besides the murders, the disturbing thing for me is that these guys got away with 15 bankrobberies. I used to think we had a competent police force.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
It would not surprise me in the least if they had supporters in the police force.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

And they stopped. Well, that were exciting hours.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The two events are not comparable, but I'm still sadly reminded of Anders Breivik's trial. The Norwegian authorities handled that with such calm competence and everybody just oozed common sense, compared to that this trial is a circus side show already and is getting more undignified by the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Grendels Dad posted:

The two events are not comparable, but I'm still sadly reminded of Anders Breivik's trial. The Norwegian authorities handled that with such calm competence and everybody just oozed common sense, compared to that this trial is a circus side show already and is getting more undignified by the day.

Well, both trials annoyed (or are beginning to annoy) me because of the stage they're setting for the crazies to, uh...market themselves.
I know I should be for transparency and all that good democratic justice stuff, but it just kinda rubs me the wrong way.