Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

I can't stop laughing at this. I think its the combination of the grumpy looking Harrison Ford and the absurdity of him driving a snowcat (I think?) with the film's logo plastered on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's awesome!

Han really did shoot first!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
C3P0 and Leia about to kiss, my childhood fantasies have come true.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I don't care if Temuera Morrison redubbed his lines, this dude will forever be Boba Fett in my heart. Look at that beard! :allears:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Francostein posted:

C3P0 and Leia about to kiss, my childhood fantasies have come true.

Double hover hand.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I tried the longest time to avoid finding out what this guy looked like, the reality could never be good enough to fully represent a man who caused me to should "WOLF DICK" at the TV every time an episode of Law and Order ended.

I've always wondered the same about Speed Weed.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Moose King posted:

I don't care if Temuera Morrison redubbed his lines, this dude will forever be Boba Fett in my heart. Look at that beard! :allears:

I met him and he's pretty cool.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/09/indiana-city-officials-dont-want-to-name-building-after-harry-baals/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Carrie Fisher was a righteous babe.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

stubblyhead posted:

Carrie Fisher was a righteous babe.

Was. :negative:

Time is crueler to some than others.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Effingham posted:

Was. :negative:

Time is crueler to some than others.

When nine hundred (cocaine) years old you reach, look as good you will not.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Don't forget a life struggling with bipolar disorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SVQDKIt3s&t=469s

e: Funny picture!

Nice rear end.

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Apr 29, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Glow in the dark animals!

GFP = green flourescent protein is found in jelly fish and scientists like to put this gene into animals together with other genes. If the animal starts glowing in the dark it probably means not only the GFP but also the other genes have been integrated into the animals genome successfully.

There are many variants of GFP that can glow in different colors like YFP (yellow flourescent protein) or RFP (red flourescent protein).

Here are some bacteria expressing the different flourescing proteins:

And here are finally some glow in the dark animals:

Monkey :3:

Mice

A dumb worm called nematode

Tiny fish in red, green and yellow

A dog with RFP

Axolotl

Green pigs

Yellow pigs

You can also make the animals produce the proteins only in some parts of their bodies, like the skin:

...or the bones:

:black101:

Lucy Heartfilia has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Apr 29, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, a glow in the dark skeleton would be the coolest loving thing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

*Falls down stairs*
"Hey, cut the lights so I can see if this leg is broken!"

Also that would make sex incredibly unnerving, I think. To me at least.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And every surprise birthday party would be preceded by a mild-to-fatal heart attack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

If we ever develop interstellar travel, we should retrovirus everyone who goes with this stuff. That way we're not the Federation, we're the creepy dudes with the glowing skeletons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

...or the bones:

:black101:

:stare:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I seem to recall reading that the glow-in-the-dark thing is not just because the "Look! Science!" cool look, but that it's a reliable indicator that whatever genes you messed with actually works. So when you modify the mouse skeleton genes so it produces Adamantium or some poo poo, you add in some glowing genes there too, and you can with a glance which of the mice has taken in the genes successfully.

edit: holy poo poo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Phy posted:

If we ever develop interstellar travel, we should retrovirus everyone who goes with this stuff. That way we're not the Federation, we're the creepy dudes with the glowing skeletons.

It's us. We are the Sh*tty Space Skeletons.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Who do I have to bribe to get my genes spliced to look like I am permanently having a rave?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

Who do I have to bribe to get my genes spliced to look like I am permanently having a rave?

Screw that. I want to get my cat spliced. Keep me from stepping on the little beggar in the dark.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samizdata posted:

Screw that. I want to get my cat spliced. Keep me from stepping on the little beggar in the dark.

You can't do it to an existing cat, and it will cost tens of thousands of dollars, but yep, it's been done.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

I seem to recall reading that the glow-in-the-dark thing is not just because the "Look! Science!" cool look, but that it's a reliable indicator that whatever genes you messed with actually works. So when you modify the mouse skeleton genes so it produces Adamantium or some poo poo, you add in some glowing genes there too, and you can with a glance which of the mice has taken in the genes successfully.

edit: holy poo poo

Yup. If you want to study particular types of neurons in particular places in the brain, you tag them with GFP along with whatever functional change you want to make. Then you can confirm your change worked (otherwise you wouldn't be getting any fluorescent signal) and was specific (only getting signal from where and what you expect). Brainbow is this kind of technique taken a bit to the extreme!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

You can't do it to an existing cat, and it will cost tens of thousands of dollars, but yep, it's been done.

Problem being is that I tell people "I am not a cat person in general, I am a MY cat person." C'mon science, let's get moving! Screw the Higgs boson, let me retrofit my cat with florescent proteins already!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

GFP only flouresces when exposed to UV light, so you wouldn't see your glow in the dark kitten unless you had black lights all over your house. And as haveblue mentioned, you can't do it to an already grown animal. But doing it to bacteria is simple enough that I got to do it back in high school, and now I can say that I've genetically engineered an organism!

This guy does screen printing using GFP-modified bacteria.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Problem being is that I tell people "I am not a cat person in general, I am a MY cat person." C'mon science, let's get moving! Screw the Higgs boson, let me retrofit my cat with florescent proteins already!

Just paint the drat thing. Tomorrow's technology, today.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

RVProfootballer posted:

Brainbow is this kind of technique taken a bit to the extreme!

I just realized in Brainbow the animals are alive.

Anyway, if you used postmortem brain, you can make it so that the part of the brain that disturbs light is removed without damaging the important parts. You can then give different colours to those important parts and they show up in amazing clarity. The procedure is also named CLARITY.

Different colour correspond to different cells. Here's a video on how the above was made. The coloured structure was so clear you can actually trace a single branch among thousands.

Edit: Content:

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Apr 29, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

haveblue posted:

Why do only the white parts of his fur glow? Shouldn't the fur color be irrelevant to glowing? This just looks like somebody applied a green filter in photoshop where the light parts of the picture are affected. I'm not calling bullshit but I just don't understand the nature of the glow.

Western Backstroke
Oct 19, 2008

Be Cool Like Carl

Palpek posted:

Why do only the white parts of his fur glow? Shouldn't the fur color be irrelevant to glowing? This just looks like somebody applied a green filter in photoshop where the light parts of the picture are affected. I'm not calling bullshit but I just don't understand the nature of the glow.

I'm pretty sure these animals only glow when under a UV light. So there's a spotlight of UV on that particular area of fur.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not a glowcatologist but I'd guess that the glow gene doesn't affect the pigments that color the fur black.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

I'm not really an expert on this, but basically when you got the glow, you see it on your face, you feel it in your head, people understand that you've got the glow, and they'll beware, because the power's there when you got the glow.

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Palpek posted:

From what I understand, white hair and fur is actually clear, and it only appears to be white due to its overall rough texture, like a pile of salt. Colored hair and fur, on the other hand, actually has pigments to absorb some of the light, giving it its color.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the glow can propagate from the body through the clear "white" fur, but the pigments in the colored fur absorb it before you can see it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Palpek posted:

It's definitely real, it's just that the fluorescence is quenched by the darker fur. The context of the picture is to test a way for injecting foreign gene (the GFP) into cats that doesn't involve cloning. It's successful and it may lead to a possible treatment for AIDS (which is also a pandemic for cats) by injecting genes that restricts the virus. Of course, using cats instead of the usual rats have its drawbacks.

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Apr 29, 2013

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

I was really hoping that it was maybe someone with flabby forearms pressed together, butt nope.
Edit: imgurrrr'd image, Speilberg's just trying to join the Star Wars party, albeit too late. And he's looking pretty beat there, which makes me smile.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Peenigrippe posted:

I was really hoping that it was maybe someone with flabby forearms pressed together, butt nope.

All I see is Seņor Spielbergo - what am I supposed to be seeing here?

(Also - is that an image leech?)

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
I'm about to submit my Masters thesis on Fluorescent Proteins and can confirm that they are cool as gently caress and can be used for an incredible amount of things. Brainbow imaging is one of the sexier ones though.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

haveblue posted:

Is it hereditary then, or does it caost more because it's a cat? I could swear I saw a lab supply company that sold glow in the dark mice for only a couple dollars each.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

toanoradian posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

toanoradian posted:

Do you have a source for this, and if you do are they selling prints?

• Locked thread