Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Linedance posted:

I don't recognise it, but I'm avionics. A couple of coworkers who are mechanician types said "that's not a loving landing gear, what the gently caress part of a landing gear looks like that? That's a loving inboard flap actuator. People see a loving big lump of metal and immediately think landing gear" when they looked at the picture. There may have been more cursing, I'm paraphrasing.

Me, personally, I think it's part of a window cleaning rig.

Why hasn't NYPD figured it out :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But does it really matter in the long run?

It's not like the cops are going to look at the tangled mess of metal and say, "By Jove, Watson! It was Miss Emily Pickingson with the hedge combobulators after all. Quick, to the steam jitney!"

It'll be, "Yep, it's from 9/11. Stick it on the pile." They won't be in any real rush to do anything with it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's not like the cops are going to look at the tangled mess of metal and say, "By Jove, Watson! It was Miss Emily Pickingson with the hedge combobulators after all. Quick, to the steam jitney!"

It'll be, "Yep, it's from 9/11. Stick it on the pile." They won't be in any real rush to do anything with it.

Of course it doesn't, but the news is all "This Is Significant" and people are going "ooh, landing gear!" "yes, landing gear... Significant! " without really knowing anything about anything, so I figure I might as well get in on that sweet sweet speculation action.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya it'll really crack open the case on what took those planes down.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Well it is a "significant finding" because they will probably find human remains long with the debris, which may provide some measure of closure to someone's family. It's also kind of interesting that something like that would still be out there after more than 10 years when they did such extensive searching and cleanup after 9/11.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
It's part of the missile launcher that was attached to the belly of one of the airliners, the Boeing serial is a red herring. Probably planted there by Obama a few weeks ago when they found out the site was going to be a mosque. :tinfoil:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ya it'll really crack open the case on what took those planes down.

Apparently the police have two suspects. Here they are in a lineup:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

Apparently the police have two suspects. Here they are in a lineup:

Now I'm picturing the whole thing as a Colombo episode.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now I'm picturing the whole thing as a Colombo episode.

That would be amazing to watch.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

"Just one more thing, Mr. Atta..."

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...

Magugu posted:

One of my Favorite aircraft Is the F-82 Twin Mustang. Take one of the most epic aircraft in history and double it. There is one on static display at Lackland AFB in San Antonio (along with an sr-71).

Way back when, it was easy for anyone to just drive on base to see this display. Is that even possible today?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gorilla Salad posted:

It will prove that the 911 hijackers were actually trying to land on top of the WTC buildings!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

galliumscan posted:

Way back when, it was easy for anyone to just drive on base to see this display. Is that even possible today?

I haven't been there since 2005, so I don't know what the setup is now. If it's inside the gate, no. Usually they try to arrange these air parks so you can access it from outside the base (ie, they move the fenceline so the park is outside).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Godholio posted:

I haven't been there since 2005, so I don't know what the setup is now. If it's inside the gate, no. Usually they try to arrange these air parks so you can access it from outside the base (ie, they move the fenceline so the park is outside).

It's inside the gate, although JUST inside if I remember right.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
It's an airplane, it counts:

16 second powered flight, made Mach 1.2

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Is the second photo also a render? If not, I just popped the biggest private space venture boner right now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slo-Tek posted:

It's an airplane, it counts:

16 second powered flight, made Mach 1.2

I'm not going to lie. If I had unlimited funds, I would be launching commercial rockets as often as possible. I would then fly to the moon and come back.

Why can't the lottery get up to $2B?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dayman posted:

Is the second photo also a render? If not, I just popped the biggest private space venture boner right now.

Looks like an extreme zoom.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

dayman posted:

Neither are renders. The first one is a wide-angle somewhat underexposed shot from a camera mounted on the tail during today's power test, and the second is from a MARS telescope tracking ground station...which gives it that 70's look, since shooting through 70,000' of air is pretty much the same as it was in the 70's.

Still waiting on air-to-air shots. The Proteus chase plane isn't an ideal photographic platform, but maybe there was something.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Godholio posted:

It's inside. http://goo.gl/maps/qyLQF

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Okay, I was browsing around your link and I've found another stumper nearby:

Who the hell's plane is this?

It says "People's Democra-" on it (the rest is inside the hangar). From what I can see, it has the emblem of some nation painted on the side, but I can't pinpoint a match with the flag of any nation that has "People's Democratic" in its name.

So whose plane is this?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ctishman posted:

It says "People's Democra-" on it (the rest is inside the hangar). From what I can see, it has the emblem of some nation painted on the side, but I can't pinpoint a match with the flag of any nation that has "People's Democratic" in its name.

So whose plane is this?

The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria.

It's flying (backwards) with the wind.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ctishman posted:

So whose plane is this?

Looks like an Airbus A340-500. Algeria or Tunisia, most likely.

edit: grahhh!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ctishman posted:

So whose plane is this?

Possibly a mirror-image of Algeria's flag?

e;f,b

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Turn it off the 45 degree angle to see the paint stripped? What is that?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ctishman posted:

So whose plane is this?

I spent WAY to long researching this

Threw me off cause it looks super teal in the picture and I wrote off Algeria off the bat.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Hey, thanks though. Algeria, huh. I thought I already searched all the "People's Democratic Republics" I even went to the CIA World Factbook to look up flags and didn't spot it. Yeah, the teal threw me off, too.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 30, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Turn it off the 45 degree angle to see the paint stripped? What is that?

Some flavor of A340?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What I mean is, how does it end up looking like that?

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

joat mon posted:

Some flavor of A340?

Looking at the older view, the paint's off and it's using an older type of engine. I'm pretty sure it's the same plane, but it seems to be undergoing an upfit at a US AFB for some reason.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CharlesM posted:

What I mean is, how does it end up looking like that?

I think it's two different aircraft. The overhead shot looks like it's wearing cfm56 engines, the angle looks like trent 700s. There's also a stand visible on the back on the overhead that isn't there on the angle shot. As for why the overhead shot looks stripped, that hangar is probably a painting facility, so it probably is paint stripped, even if I'm wrong about the first part and it is the same plane.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It's at Gore Design Completions, which does gaudy interior refits.

According to them,
"The only thing we don’t do is paint the exterior of the plane."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, if it was having the interior overhauled, it was probably getting ready to have the exterior overhauled too. Neat. You can also see the top down view is newer; the hangar has become a little longer. :) On the Bing Bird's Eye view there is another 4-engine jet with Arabic or Farsi.
http://binged.it/ZTbq9d

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

joat mon posted:

It's at Gore Design Completions, which does gaudy interior refits.

According to them,
"The only thing we don’t do is paint the exterior of the plane."

One day I'll be rich enough to face the couch nearest the TV away from the TV.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

blugu64 posted:

One day I'll be rich enough to face the couch nearest the TV away from the TV.

Wealthy people don't know what to do with tvs, so they put them in the weirdest and most awkward places for reasons unknown to us plebs. I've mounted untold plasma tvs >6' up fireplaces.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EightBit posted:

Wealthy people don't know what to do with tvs, so they put them in the weirdest and most awkward places for reasons unknown to us plebs. I've mounted untold plasma tvs >6' up fireplaces.

It's intentional, it's basically 'Look at the expensive electronics I can afford... yet I'm so important that I don't have time to use it', at least according to a rich psychiatrist who I asked about her TV 6' above the fireplace.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Horrifying 747 stall and crash at Bagram.

It just falls right out of the sky. :stare:

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
gently caress cargo shifts. I know people who died like that in a C2 crash off the boat. Goddamn that sucks.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Jesus, what a horrific crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Holy gently caress :aaaaa:

It sounds like it was carrying military vehicles. Maybe one broke its tiedowns and rolled to the back?