Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

I'm guessing this is it? And yeah, it does look kind of... well, the 'deviantart ronpa' tag is more than appropriate.

(Monobear in a bathrobe with a wine glass is pretty hilarious in a way, though.)

Because this one image absolutely needs to be seen:

Junko's neck :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

She's half-giraffe, don't be rude.

e: Well, the rest of the manga is certainly something.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

So that's where Monobear learned to stretch his body.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Even better, check out Maizono's legs here:

Yeesh.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

DaveWoo posted:

Even better, check out Maizono's legs here:

Yeesh.

My god, they're longer than the rest of her body...

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Actually, this is a pretty well hidden homage to One Piece and his main character. Gomu-gomu no kubi!

Though nothing can beat Monobear's heart going doki doki:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
You think the comic and manga industries would actually want to hire GOOD artists.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Generally speaking, the cream of crop aren't working on manga spin offs of video game franchises.

Also my lord Maizono's legs are literally twice as long as the rest of her body.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Generally speaking, the cream of crop aren't working on manga spin offs of video game franchises.

This is actually a manga spinoff of an anime adaptation of a video game.

I think the script itself is actually pretty good (far better than the rest of the DR related manga so far). Too bad about the art.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

orenronen posted:

This is actually a manga spinoff of an anime adaptation of a video game.

I think the script itself is actually pretty good (far better than the rest of the DR related manga so far). Too bad about the art.

By any chance, is it titled Dangan Ronpa: The Animation: The Manga?

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Does that mean we're going to be seeing a Dangan Ronpa 2: Tropical Vacation: The Animation: The Manga: Electric Boogaloo anytime soon?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, has there been any recent news about the animated series? I know a short trailer was released a while back, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Meirlkor posted:

Does that mean we're going to be seeing a Dangan Ronpa 2: Tropical Vacation: The Animation: The Manga: Electric Boogaloo anytime soon?

Only after Dangan Ronpa: The Animation: The Manga: The Musical.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Well, art aside, I think the focus of this manga is for people who haven't played the game or just can't. All of us know about DR1 because of the LP so this manga isn't really for us when we have seen 90% of the original product. But if, as oren said, the writing is good I think people who don't know about DR would probably find the manga really enjoyable and worth the money and not be that bothered by the art, at least I wouldn't be at least.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Meirlkor posted:

There's already a Dangan Ronpa 2 manga in publication. So far it's only covered up to chapter 1 though. The art is pretty wacky and it sort of focuses on Nagito's point of view and less so Hinata's. There's even an extra scene where he talks to Hanamura before the trial begins, while Hinata isn't around at all. Only one chapter is translated though.

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any recent news about the animated series? I know a short trailer was released a while back, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

It's coming out in the upcoming summer anime season in July.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

ChaosArgate posted:

They should make a video game based on the manga. I bet it'd be awesome. :downs:

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
So I spent a few minutes quickly redlining this in MS Paint just with my mouse.

So either Asahina has a little floating leg sidekick, has an extra kneecap, or is in desperate need of an ambulance.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Alien Arcana posted:

They should make a video game based on the manga. I bet it'd be awesome. :downs:

Agreed, but we'd need someone to translate it for us. I don't have the mental fortitude to learn Japanese.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

I Love Annie May posted:

Actually, this is a pretty well hidden homage to One Piece and his main character. Gomu-gomu no kubi!

Though nothing can beat Monobear's heart going doki doki:

Hot n' bothered monobear is definitely the best thing about this shot.

leon06673
Oct 31, 2012

lotus circle posted:

There's already a Dangan Ronpa 2 manga in publication. So far it's only covered up to chapter 1 though. The art is pretty wacky and it sort of focuses on Nagito's point of view and less so Hinata's. There's even an extra scene where he talks to Hanamura before the trial begins, while Hinata isn't around at all. Only one chapter is translated though.

Apparently there are several version of DR2 manga.
There is another official DR2 web manga going on at the moment,
It hasn't been translated yet, but the source can be find here if anyone is interested.

(It's still up to chapter 1 trial so there aren't any spoiler.)

In terms of art, I think this is the best one out of all the DR-related manga I've seen so far.

vv Edit: Eh ok I have removed the link just in case

leon06673 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 30, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

lotus circle posted:

A warning, though - pretty much all DR2 manga out there are for people who have played the game to completion. That first chapter of the Nagito manga you mention contains spoilers for things we have yet to see.

In fact, let's not mention anything about any DR2 manga and its content in this thread. As usual with adaptations, a clueless reader might mistake an actual spoiler for an additional detail by the manga writer.

EDIT: Even the manga mentioned by the poster above me, which may seem completely free of spoilers on first sight, contains enough new info not presented in the game yet on subjects that have been particularly speculated upon here. It doesn't reveal the outcome, but it sure contains additional clues the game chose not to give.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Speaking of the SDR2 manga:

Nagito does what we've all been thinking. :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The fact that the manga has Nagito as its protagonist implies that he survives for quite a while if not to the very end.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The fact that the manga has Nagito as its protagonist implies that he survives for quite a while if not to the very end.

In a shocking twist Nagito is an invisible ghost for 5/8ths of the manga. Truly despair inducing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The next 16 issues of the publication feature Nagito's adventures in incarceration, guest-starring Souda and Nidai.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Well, that's rather irritating to hear about, there goes my theory that Souda and Nidai accidentally murdered Nagito. Can we please stop mentioning the manga and other works?!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, maybe Nagito will die and then half the cast will go nuts like Ishimaru and start emulating him. Each pseudo-Nagito gets their own turn at being the protagonist!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

Well, that's rather irritating to hear about, there goes my theory that Souda and Nidai accidentally murdered Nagito. Can we please stop mentioning the manga and other works?!

I've not read the Manga, nor do I plan to until this LP is finished, but it is very possible that the stories across the different mediums diverge.
They changed who died in the demo of the first game, I wouldn't be too surprised if they changed what happened to who, and when, for the manga adaptation. After all, there are, what, four or five incarnations of the same story? It wouldn't make much sense for them to simply repeat one another.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
or maybe it is the incomprehensible earth man "emotion" of "humor"

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

cafel posted:

In a shocking twist Nagito is an invisible ghost for 5/8ths of the manga. Truly despair inducing.

Unlike the first DR where you had to prove a character was not a ghost, DR2 forces you to prove that one of your classmates is not among the living.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
You guys.

orenronen posted:

In fact, let's not mention anything about any DR2 manga and its content in this thread.

I don't think he could have made this any clearer. :psyduck:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This thread is quite the specimen sometimes.

orenronen posted:

...let's not mention anything about any DR2 manga...
The very next post:

avlein posted:

Speaking of the SDR2 manga,
:allears:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Minus Green posted:

My god, they're longer than the rest of her body...
Well, the same is true for her in the game, at least.
http://lpix.org/423074/20-crowdshot.png
Unless my eyes are deceived by her stockings and skirt or something.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah I always thought most characters in DR were very spindly and leggy. Attributed that to style and never thought much of it.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

ChaosArgate posted:

It is, which is kind of hilariously dumb. I hope it's not an indication of the quality of the anime, because I may have to respectfully disagree with orenronen to say I don't think much of the writing in the manga either.
I'm kind of tickled people enjoyed my dumb post about chapter 2 though. While it had more bad art than chapter 1, if anyone wants to see what i wrote for chapter 1, that's here: http://superhighschoollevelmagusloid.tumblr.com/post/47189499545/ive-been-trying-to-decide-what-monthly-manga

I'm planning on maybe doing this every month, so if anyone's interested you can check the tag 'dangan-ronpa-manga' on my blog near the end of each month. Unless it -wouldn't- be considered dumb to link it here? Granted, I'm not sure what orenronen and HelloWinter's stance on this is as I heard you were planning on scanlating it, and if that's so then everyone will get to laugh at every frame and not just the ones I find funniest.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

How do some of you keep loving up the spoiler rules. :psyduck:

Apollo Justice
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, any comic relief I may provide is entirely unintentional.

Mindblast posted:

How do some of you keep loving up the spoiler rules. :psyduck:

Torino above you is talking about the DR1 manga which oren did not forbid talking about.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Apollo Justice posted:

Torino above you is talking about the DR1 manga which oren did not forbid talking about.

He could be referring to the people talking about the SDR2 manga on this page, just because his post is under Torino's doesn't exactly mean he's the one being talked about.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think Nagito will die this chapter, but I don't think he'll make it off the island.

I don't want him to survive. In DR1, Genocider Syo was off her nut, and she survived. If another nutbar survived in the sequel it would feel a bit repetitive, even if Nagito is a different kind of nutbar. Plus, I think it would make for an interesting trial atmosphere if the victim for once was someone that pretty much everyone already hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think Nagito will die this chapter, but I don't think he'll make it off the island.

I don't want him to survive. In DR1, Genocider Syo was off her nut, and she survived. If another nutbar survived in the sequel it would feel a bit repetitive, even if Nagito is a different kind of nutbar. Plus, I think it would make for an interesting trial atmosphere if the victim for once was someone that pretty much everyone already hated.

Well, he has basically told everyone to please try and kill him, so the question is whether anyone takes him up on that offer, or at least tries to.
It might actually be funny if literally every murder in the game happens because someone tried to kill Komaeda and screwed up and killed someone else, though. (...I hope not, though.)
What I'm more interested in is whether Komaeda will actually kill anyone.

I'm assuming Komaeda is going to last a while though; DR1 had Monobear giving everyone 'motives', and so it looks like he could be acting as the main catalyst for murders in this game instead of that. Then again, we still haven't really seen what's up with that bomb.

• Locked thread