Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I have been enjoying the Walking Dead adventure game. Nice to see these sort of game succeeding. Besides remakes of the classics (Monkey Island etc.), what are the best graphical adventures on the iPhone/iPad.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Iacen posted:

This is the second goddamn time I've made that mistake. I'll leave it, as I think it's amusing.

drat, I thought it was just me. I'm still rocking a gen 1 iPad, so I don't think I'll even try RUA2 on that one. Sigh, some day I might have the money to upgrade my stuff.

Another iPhone 4 user with stutters. Sucks, but oh well. Game still rules and I've probably heard "always" by erasure more than any other song ever now. Just feels wrong to play without it for some reason.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I feel like most of my deaths in RUA 2 are from poor level generation more than an error on my part. That's annoying for an endless runner. Do the various upgrades make that more bearable?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bummey posted:

Let me guess, iPad only? :argh:

Oh God I hope not. Can anyone confirm if there is an iPhone version?

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I feel like most of my deaths in RUA 2 are from poor level generation more than an error on my part. That's annoying for an endless runner. Do the various upgrades make that more bearable?

In this fucker's opinion -- I think so yeah. I went from getting 11-12k points per dream to getting 30k with just a few upgrades. The wings keep throwing me off because the controls are sort of floaty though.

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

Digger-254 posted:

Wow. That's ok, this post makes me question it too!

Kidding. Anyway, what's with all the Inferno hate though, people? Isn't the unicorn trying to escape from that whimsical pastel nightmare of bubbles and kitten farts? By sacking faeries and goring through star giants that are shooting freakin' lasers and poo poo at it? The high-gloss aesthetic and rainbow theme are a huge part of the demotivational mantras they throw at you before each attempt, too. Seems to me like rainbows and sparkles are the tools of our enemies. No, my friends, Team Rainbow aren't the "good guys." Just look at 'em: they're part of the problem. Probably all double-agents with glue-on horns and paper-mâché wings.

Team Inferno, bad guys? Heh, more like bad rear end. I was all too happy to get an Iron Pegasus, throw on some fire and lightning, and ditch the foofy, lethargic background crooning for some metal and electric guitars to start stampeding a blazing trail to freedom over the corpses of the oppressors. Keep your decadent seahorse cities and gender anxiety, you over-pampered Rainbow ponies. Infernos don't fret over those things because Infernos already know they are awesome, and awesomeness begets greater awesomeness. Gay, straight, male, female, young, old... it's all bad rear end when you're ready to ROCK :getin:

Do the iap songs have vocals or are they just instrumentals?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That SurvivalCraft game looks like it pisses over Minecraft Pocket Edition. Caves, texture pack support, lots of animals, redstone equivalents, infinite worlds. MCPE is so barebones as to be unplayable, I'm going to give this a try I reckon.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

VideoGameVet posted:

I have been enjoying the Walking Dead adventure game. Nice to see these sort of game succeeding. Besides remakes of the classics (Monkey Island etc.), what are the best graphical adventures on the iPhone/iPad.

Thanks.
Arranger! is a trip, but it's good.
Broken Sword is a good puzzle adventure on any platform.
Ghost Trick is one of my favourite adventure games once you get past the EXCITABLE JAPANESE PRESENTATION!!!
Sword & Sworcery is beautiful and lo-fi.
The Silent Age is an enjoyable and promising first chapter of a project seeking donations.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

AggroJagg posted:

Do the iap songs have vocals or are they just instrumentals?

Vocals. Feel the joy.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Has anyone else bought Leviathan: Warships too? I tried create an account and every time I try it gets kicked back with connection failed message.

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 30, 2013

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
With regards to Injustice - How long do you seriously have to play for in order to unlock your Superman, Batman etc. After a few hours of getting 300 odd credits per fight, and about 800-1k for a boss battle.. those higher unlocks seem simply unreachable.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cyberbob posted:

With regards to Injustice - How long do you seriously have to play for in order to unlock your Superman, Batman etc. After a few hours of getting 300 odd credits per fight, and about 800-1k for a boss battle.. those higher unlocks seem simply unreachable.
Not sure. Most people grind the Bonus group of stages after Green Lantern (on the first page).

I'm thinking of backing up my save data with iFunbox before picking a 75k gold booster and reloading if it's not a good character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raged posted:

Has anyone else bought Leviathan: Warships too? I tried create an account and every time I try it gets kicked back with connection failed message.

Sorry I can't help, but can you confirm if there is an iPhone version? It's not up in the US app store yet, except when I try searching on my phone which states that it's iPad only. Everywhere online seems to say there is an iPhone version though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry I can't help, but can you confirm if there is an iPhone version? It's not up in the US app store yet, except when I try searching on my phone which states that it's iPad only. Everywhere online seems to say there is an iPhone version though.

This is what I got.

Raged posted:

I have the same problem, but I'm thinking maybe it's just because the only servers that are online are EU.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 30, 2013

Trauts
May 1, 2010
According to the toucharcade preview, it's iPad only. Which sucks. But there's still the pc version...

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Would any of you fine folks know the name of a runner game that's broken up into chapters where you are competing against other runners. The object of the game is to run ahead of the competition and sabotage the stage for them. As in you jump ahead and maybe do away with a bridge they needed for a jump. I heard about the game on a podcast but forgot the name, and can't find the podcast.

Hoping you can all help me out.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
I've played fun run. Which is a platform type racer of the sabotage your opponents any way possible sort. Not a serious game but good for competing against others

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

This is what I got.

I have the same problem, but I'm thinking maybe it's just because the only servers that are online are EU.

Me too. I just saw that every game site listed it as an iPhone game as well, and was hoping it was an error.

Trauts posted:

According to the toucharcade preview, it's iPad only. Which sucks. But there's still the pc version...

That loving blows. Developers need to specify "iPad only" when they are making iOS games. I have been looking forward to that stupid game for a month and now I can't even play it on iOS.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Raged posted:

Yeah, I think their registration/multiplayer servers are just straight-up bonked for the time being. Also I can't edit my fleet for any offline match without the app crashing. Also the Help button is causing some weird game-ending scenarios. Plus holy moly lookit these random crashes.

I really want this game to be good, and I think it actually will be, but I'm thinking they might want to rush out a quick patch or two.

Oh Paradox... :allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How good is Leviathan before I spend hundreds of hard-earned pennies?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Feenix posted:

How good is Leviathan before I spend hundreds of hard-earned pennies?

It's a tad buggy, but still pretty good. I do not miss the 499 pennies.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

It's a tad buggy, but still pretty good. I do not miss the 499 pennies.

It will be a lot better when I we can connect to the server and they patch a bunch of fixes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NESguerilla posted:

It's definitely iPad only. When I search for it from my iPad, it only shows up under "iPad apps", not "iPhone apps". And the store page only says "Compatible with iPad", no mention of iPhones.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I'm eyeing it right now. Anyone tried it yet? What's the verdict?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

webmeister posted:

It's definitely iPad only. When I search for it from my iPad, it only shows up under "iPad apps", not "iPhone apps". And the store page only says "Compatible with iPad", no mention of iPhones.

Even their official website lists "iOS tablets and phones with enough screen size" as a requirement after you dig into the forums, because the main page is even more vague. Guess I should have bought the bigger iPhone 5 :thumbsup: It can't be that hard to figure out what devices their own games will run on.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I wonder why there isn't a jailbreak for spoofing a phone as an ipad. You'd have black bars and potentially hilarious resolution issues... but Leviathan Warships...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

bad day posted:

If anybody is playing Simpsons Tapped Out, my name is jenkemjonez and I want to give you eggs. I was giving them all to someone from this thread called graventy but he/she does not seem to be participating in the whacking day event. If you would like me to write egg messages insulting your sexuality, please add me as a friend. I only hope that you will do the same, and get a kick out of my Springfield based in an Israeli settlement in Palestine.

Cry Havoc posted:

Just added you as Sean-1st. Let's swap rotten snake egg messages.

graventy posted:

Alrighty, to make up for my failures, I have given you my entire stockpile of ~520 eggs. Turns out you have about 250 eggs worth of road. And since there was no room to swear at you in your town, I instead placed some eggs behind buildings, as someone graciously did to me. Enjoy that.

Please do not give me more eggs in return.

Samara posted:

Just added you. Send me eggs!!

I just added all of you (except Samara, you didn't post your ID :() because I don't have any contacts in this game. Hope that's cool. (I'm Castigious)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

DNK posted:

I wonder why there isn't a jailbreak for spoofing a phone as an ipad. You'd have black bars and potentially hilarious resolution issues... but Leviathan Warships...

Honestly when it comes to Leviathan it needs a ipad screen or bigger. The game would be impossible to play on a tiny screen.

Welp leviathan got pulled from the App Store for the broken multiplayer

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 30, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

But you can choose a variety of paths - there are 3 lines of islands and you can change between them when you get a little practice which is actually interesting for an endless runner. Also the next upgrades include a 3rd jump so yeah it definitely gets easier.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Paradox Interactive posted:

We've got news to share with those of you who planned on getting Leviathan: Warships for tablets today: The release date for the tablet version have been changed to 2/5. This is because the release version of Leviathan: Warships points to the wrong server addresses and thus cannot connect to play multiplayer games. It's a quick fix, but it takes some time to get an update live on tablets. We're very, very sorry about this.

In some regions the tablet version has already gone live for iOS, and if you've purchased the game and are experiencing these issues, we're again very sorry.

The PC/Mac version of the game is not affected and will release as planned in about 10 hours.

Don't worry Paradox; still a more competent launch than Star Command.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Trustworthy posted:

Don't worry Paradox; still a more competent launch than Star Command.

We will see. I already have Leviathan and on planning to get Star Command when it comes out. Which game will I get to play first?

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
In rua2 my currency keeps dissapearing, I had 1600, then 1000 last night, then 200 this morning. What gives? I'm not spending it on extra wishes or upgrades.

EDIT:
Heh, never mind, just realized these boosts were costing me money. Fuckers

dumby fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 30, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I posted this in the Minecraft thread, but it belongs here too.

Quick trip report on that SurvivalCraft. Playing it on iPad Mini.

I just spawned in on a beach next to a giant frozen lake. I could see sharks in the ocean and birds flew overhead. I ran across the lake, being chased by a polar bear, and found some nice tall mountains. Saw a little cave up on the hill, decided I wanted to live there but a brown bear already called it home and told me to gently caress off. Tried fighting it with snowballs, but that went badly. Killed it by blocking it in and hitting it with dirt, but a wolf ate me before I could secure the entrance. Then I respawned at the beach and saw lighting set a polar bear on fire.

Game owns.

Combat is terrible, and the controls need a little tweaking, but this feels like playing mid-beta Minecraft desktop edition, but on an an iPad. It is a blatant, blatant clone, but having spent $7 on MCPE just on the hope that one day it wouldn't be terrible (and months later still waiting for even the most basic of features), I give exactly zero fucks. It's technically very polished, excellent framerate and loads quickly, pretty good draw distance, and the ability to download maps and texture packs from within the app (and swap these on the fly) is really good.

Honestly, if you are away from a real version of Minecraft, but have the itch to do a little digging or building while on the commute, this is very satisfying. It does have some rough edges, and does need some work, but it is actually being worked on. Checking out his vids he's already implemented a bunch of features at user request.

http://appshopper.com/games/survivalcraft

It's a good game, and far superior to Minecraft Pocket Edition. Universal, so iPhone users can get this too. Infinite world size, electronics, weather, cave systems. Absolutely worth getting. I've played hundreds of hours of Minecraft on Xbox, and this feels very comfortable and similar to the real thing. It's certainly months, if not years ahead of the official MCPE which is just a bag of arse that I regret spending money on.

Also I finally was able to pick up Crabitron today. It was like dipping my brain in joy.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

dumby posted:

In rua2 my currency keeps dissapearing, I had 1600, then 1000 last night, then 200 this morning. What gives? I'm not spending it on extra wishes or upgrades.

EDIT:
Heh, never mind, just realized these boosts were costing me money. Fuckers

That was a fun discovery when I realized it too. Never had much of a reason to use boosts. Catching the bottom of the sky/platform above me is generally what kills me, especially while flying.

Speaking of rua 2, anyone else have trouble on ice world? The stars blend in and the changing background (the owl, city, and wolves) throw me off. Had to switch back to sky world.

Also stuck on destroy 40 stars in 1 wish. Best I managed was 18 on a 40k score run. Might just have to skip it once I have the gems. God this game is addicting.

For those of you wondering about the other tracks, the way to get on them early is always the same. In sky world, to get to the top track double air jump after hitting the first fairy (you might be able to do it in one air jump, but it's kinda rough) and for the lower track just let yourself fall the first chance you get.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don't understand the love. Every endless game (except for Super Hexagon, which is not coincidentally amazing) has the same problem - an incredibly boring intro while you play the easy part. RUA2 makes the problem worse by not even randomizing the course. And by making you play 3 times (with the boring start each time!) before you can clear out any missions.

The game is pretty and fun to listen to, though.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ah. I think it's fun. You get to jump extreamely and kill giants.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Since those with iPhones won't be able to boat around on leviathan, what are some other good strategy games involving ships ( of the water or space kind)? I've only tried a few strategy games so far: Hero Academy seems cool as well as LostStar Lite (probably will upgrade), but a game called starfront collision as well as might and magic clash of heroes failed to impress.

Bonus points for upgrades and cool ships to unlock, as well as non horrible controls / design. Multiplayer would be cool but by no means necessary. Any suggestions?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody have any examples of good games that sync really nice between an iPhone and iPad?

I'm thinking about switching over to Android for my phone but keeping my iPad. However, I keep thinking about the integration/ecosystem on iOS and I keep thinking that iPhone+iPad is a better combination.

Anyways, does anybody have any examples of games that really work well by having these two devices?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Trauts posted:

Since those with iPhones won't be able to boat around on leviathan, what are some other good strategy games involving ships ( of the water or space kind)? I've only tried a few strategy games so far: Hero Academy seems cool as well as LostStar Lite (probably will upgrade), but a game called starfront collision as well as might and magic clash of heroes failed to impress.

Bonus points for upgrades and cool ships to unlock, as well as non horrible controls / design. Multiplayer would be cool but by no means necessary. Any suggestions?

I recommend checking out Crimson: Steam Pirates. It's fun; basically a rip-off of the Crimson Skies universe with retro steampunky water ships instead of airships. It's the closest game to Leviathans I can think of, and plays well on iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The CEO of Blackberry, Thorsten Heins, just made one of the worst technology predictions of all time:

"In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore," Heins said. "Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model."

In honor of this magnificent achievement, we've created a special new puzzle for Crickler:

The Worst Tech Predictions EVER!
(See Popular Puzzles)

Apple also approved an update to Crickler that fixes some nagging issues.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crickler-2-daily-word-puzzle/id427784181?mt=8

As to my opinion of Mr. Heins quote, this video sums it up nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

• Locked thread