Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Croisquessein posted:

Argh, the DVD cover really bothers me. Not only is it lousy, it depicts something that never happens in the film. At no time is Judge Dredd standing on top of a non-burning building while other buildings are aflame. The only fire is in the building and Dredd is inside the building except for when he comes out and then goes back in again.

Film: "Everything is exploding in here."
Cover: "Check out what's going on over there."

Yeah, that's way more exciting.

You need some real problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Hewlett posted:

You need some real problems.

BUT SOMETHING DIDN'T CONFORM TO MY EXPECTATIONS!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eh. It is pretty bad cover that makes the movie look like crap. I think it deserves better even if kids are starving in Africa etc.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
All this mention of the OST to Dredd, you people should check out Drokk. Two guys on synthesizers (one of whom is in Portishead) scored the movie but it got rejected. Rebellion, who own Judge Dredd, then released the album separately.
https://www.drokk.bandcamp.com
I bought it on vinyl and it rules, fans of John Carpenter will appreciate it. I think it would have brought the movie to a whole new level because people don't do scores like this anymore.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

VincentPrice posted:

All this mention of the OST to Dredd, you people should check out Drokk. Two guys on synthesizers (one of whom is in Portishead) scored the movie but it got rejected. Rebellion, who own Judge Dredd, then released the album separately.
I bought it on vinyl and it rules, fans of John Carpenter will appreciate it. I think it would have brought the movie to a whole new level because people don't do scores like this anymore.

The special edition is totally worth people's money. If only for 'Dark Judges' which is an amazing song.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I liked the part where he shot people :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The special edition is totally worth people's money. If only for 'Dark Judges' which is an amazing song.

How do you get to the special edition?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That soundtrack is weirdly similar in some ways, like the song Dome Horizon sounds almost exactly like the slow mo music. It's also very conceptually similar even though it's way less hard hitting than the final soundtrack. It almost makes me wonder if Paul Leonard Morgan heard that soundtrack and used it as some inspiration before composing his own.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheJoker138 posted:

How do you get to the special edition?

It's on sale even.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wow, that really blows that the only way to even get the bonus tracks is to drop $90.
I do like what I'm listening to though, the Helmet Theme and Titan Bound in particular.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2013

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drokk is one of my favourite albums of last year and is incredibly cruel to make me aware of this while I'm moving house so a) my Dredd TPBs and record player are packed away and b) I can't afford it because moving makes stuff expensive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jeez, how is music piracy is even a thing when artists only want $75USD extra for a bonus track and a shirt. I'm a massive fan of everyone involved, but that's goofy-stupid.

I bought the album anyway. But not the SUPAR ULTRAFAN LIMITED OK?! edition. gently caress that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm pretty sure the bonus tracks aren't special edition exclusive. You can get them with the cd or on iTunes? I'm not sure.

Man, I love that album.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's no Dark Judges track on either iTunes or Bandcamp. It (and others) are listed on the overpriced one but it's not in the digital version.

I wish I'd realized before I bought it. I'd rather not support a model where they sell an album with tracks missing.

e: grammar

moths fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 17, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

moths posted:

There's no Dark Judges track on either iTunes or Bandcamp. It (and others) are listed on the overpriced one but it's not in the digital version.

I wish I'd realized before I bought it. I'd rather not support a model where they sell an albums with tracks missing.

They're just b-sides though. The album isn't missing any tracks. They're mostly just demos and alternate versions anyway.

Dark Judges is on Youtube, by the way.

It's not that special at first listen, but listening to it with headphones on it's an incredibly atmospheric and evocative piece. Also, short.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

VincentPrice posted:

I bought it on vinyl and it rules

Ha. I was just watching Wayne's World 2 (1993). Tia Carrere's character makes a point of saying how weird it is that her new album will never be released on vinyl.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If Drokk and the official soundtrack still isn't enough to scratch that ultra-synthy 80s John Carpenter Dreddhead itch, I can also recommend Ogre, who's giving away this album free over the weekend. Bloody brilliant stuff.

http://ogresound.bandcamp.com/album/194

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
This was the best movie I have seen since RoboCop and I want more and the fact they aren't making a sequel really sucks. I've watched this movie about 3 times now and I usually watch a movie once before I'm done with it (unless it is RoboCop 1 or 2 because they are the best movies in cinema). The action movie genre really sucks and this is a breath of fresh air. Gimme more Dredd .

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Meowbot posted:

This was the best movie I have seen since RoboCop

Couldn't make that connection by myself, but now that you say it, I really see similarities.

This movie was an unexpected pulp gem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

VincentPrice posted:

Nice, thanks a ton for this heads-up.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

If Drokk and the official soundtrack still isn't enough to scratch that ultra-synthy 80s John Carpenter Dreddhead itch, I can also recommend Ogre, who's giving away this album free over the weekend. Bloody brilliant stuff.

Just bought the album after listening to a few tracks. Great stuff!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

The song Street Lethal is definitely inspired by John Carpenter's music in Assault on Precinct 13.

I feel like this also has a Terminator 1 vibe to it also which is also awesome.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2013

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Woops, quote is not edit.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just me wondering and wanting some thoughts - who here would like to see the movie's Dredd continuity continue in the form of video games alongside the comics? Preferably with Karl and Olivia doing the mo-cap and voice acting? And please, no jokes about a certain game with Karl's voice and likeness that just came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Just me wondering and wanting some thoughts - who here would like to see the movie's Dredd continuity continue in the form of video games alongside the comics? Preferably with Karl and Olivia doing the mo-cap and voice acting? And please, no jokes about a certain game with Karl's voice and likeness that just came out.

It worked for the 2004 Punisher.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TheJoker138 posted:

Except for the fact that we never got any more Punisher games.

EDIT: That were worth playing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Except for the fact that we never got any more Punisher games.

EDIT: That were worth playing.

The game was awesome though, is my point. That War Zone game...much like the movie itself I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheJoker138 posted:

Between that and Spider-Man 2, 2004 was a good year for video games based on movies based on comic books.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

That War Zone game...much like the movie itself I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

This opinion......this is a wrong opinion :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barry Foster posted:

The OST for the movie is the absolute best soundtrack for shooting robots in Mechwarrior Online. FACT.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm happy you like uneven, poorly shot films and all, but this is not a debate I'm going to get into again.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

The OST for the movie is the absolute best soundtrack for shooting robots in Mechwarrior Online. FACT.

I can support this, it's pretty much my go-to music whenever I play. It's always great when Mini-guns comes on in the middle of a fight. :pcgaming:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

That lovely multiplayer-only game? Yeah, there's nothing wrong with wanting to pretend it doesn't exist.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only good movie related game is Riddick's Butcher Bay.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have no idea what the quality of the game is like, but Punisher War Zone is one of the most hilarious comedies of the past decade and I don't understand when people fail to see that.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Riso posted:

The only good movie related game is Riddick's Butcher Bay.

I think both of them are good and would serve as pretty good models for a Dredd game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I think both of them are good and would serve as pretty good models for a Dredd game.

Given the sheer size of Mega-City One, I was thinking of a Dredd open-world game where you get sent out on cases. There could also be a portable game, designed with bite-sized missions.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have no idea what the quality of the game is like, but Punisher War Zone is one of the most hilarious comedies of the past decade and I don't understand when people fail to see that.

Maybe the part where it's not funny and also ugly as poo poo? Literally in a lot of cases. I'm talking about how almost all of the movie is brown, and flat, where the brown characters blend into the brown backgrounds. It's no surprise that the cinematographer is now doing things like A Haunted House and a segment of Movie 43.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A brown flat movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, uh, on what planet is Punisher War Zone brown and flat? It's a loving beautiful movie, for any flaws it may have.

• Locked thread