Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

veril posted:

I'd be down for playing this once it's up and functioning.

Well, it's finally up, after some debugging of the source and figuring out what order everything needs to be loaded in.

I'll be ready to have people come in after I've gained a little more experience with being an IMP on a ROM MUD--I'm figuring out the wizard commands so I can be a little useful, if someone has useful guides for running ROM, let me know.

Also trying to figure out why I keep getting disconnected after 10-15 minutes, don't yet know if the problem is on the server side or my side. Anyone have an idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Check your autos, turn on wiznet, check out commands.

The big ones I remember are reboot (if you have hotboot on), shutdown, kick, ban, sockets, goto (vnum/mob/char), poofin/poofout (also not stock)...

Depends on what mods they have, honestly.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Or you know what would be really cool? If we had some sort of vote, and all goons jumped on a MUD for a month or so, would anyone be on board for that?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

lemonslol posted:

Or you know what would be really cool? If we had some sort of vote, and all goons jumped on a MUD for a month or so, would anyone be on board for that?

Isn't that just what happened for the last two pages with UR or whatever?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Isn't that just what happened for the last two pages with UR or whatever?

Just saw that, I'll hop on now!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also trying to figure out why I keep getting disconnected after 10-15 minutes, don't yet know if the problem is on the server side or my side. Anyone have an idea?

Just grep the source/headers for 900 to see if there's any timeout in the code.

lemonslol posted:

What's everyone playing at the moment? I just got a little bit of time and was stuck between either playing MUME or DartMud. Any ideas?

MUME is a really cool game, I just wish they'd stop deleting my characters. I got my first legend last year but apparently my entire account was wiped for inactivity for like the twentieth time :smith:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sheep posted:

Just grep the source/headers for 900 to see if there's any timeout in the code.

It seems to just be Comcast being poo poo, since I could connect OK when I ssh'd to my old university account (they still haven't cleaned those up, drat).

Any reason why a free Amazon instance couldn't be used to host a MUD server? Alternately, I might just buy another really cheap VPS to dedicate to it.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
It could but the micro doesn't have a whole lot of RAM and (modern) MUDs use a surprising amount

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ARACHNOTRON posted:

It could but the micro doesn't have a whole lot of RAM and (modern) MUDs use a surprising amount

Magrathea (ROM-based) is currently occupying 13 MB resident, it would probably manage. I'll take a look at the exact terms for the free instances and go from there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never underestimate the amount of database or RAM space a bunch of trash items sitting in a player's backpack can take up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haephastus posted:

Never underestimate the amount of database or RAM space a bunch of trash items sitting in a player's backpack can take up.

I ended up just throwing it on a VPS. Tons of space.

It needs some work and some people to poke around a bit. It's been something like 7 years since I played it, so I've forgotten a good bit. There's OLC, but I haven't yet figured out how to work it--getting in touch with the original Immortals now for some help on how to run everything.

There's been a lot of talk in this thread about creating a goon MUD. Well, I'm a goon, and I've got unlimited access to this one. It could use with some expansion, updating, debugging, and typo-fixing. I think the large existing world-size, coupled with things like PK (join a guild and kill kill kill) and theft from player characters, could make for a good time. It's absolutely playable now, but I'd really love to get some fun improvements like better interactivity (mobprogs, etc), better descriptions, new areas, new spells and weapons, etc. I've been working on the code already and chasing out problems.

If anyone wants to give it a try, send me a PM. I don't want to bring in a whole goonrush, only to have everyone run into a problem while I'm offline, get pissed and give up.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is it Erwin's OLC? There should be tons of helpfiles. The commands (IIRC) are all [r/o/m]edit.

Restringing is set obj string [long/short/name] [new string].

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

are there any MUDs that use a MMapper system like MUME? I am getting too accustomed to this now, and I don't know if I will be able to play another one that doesn't have it :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ARACHNOTRON posted:

From memory it has 768MB, and I laugh as I recall about 3-4 years ago I had to recompile the game driver Tsunami uses as it was hardcoded to not allow you to allocate more than 24MB as if you needed more than that clearly it was too much! Plus many MUDs have their own swap file virtual memory set up automatically. Plus the actual OSes virtual memory.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
If any of you Materia Magica guys need any help or have questions hit me up via PM. I haven't played in years, but I have a maxed out Archon and still have my guide tags somehow. I'd be happy to help with menial stuff in game and whatever info you need via PM.

Beefheart
May 5, 2003

Aren't most of the big old MUDs like that, though? I remember Discworld being insanely grindy as well.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Hughlander posted:

From memory it has 768MB, and I laugh as I recall about 3-4 years ago I had to recompile the game driver Tsunami uses as it was hardcoded to not allow you to allocate more than 24MB as if you needed more than that clearly it was too much! Plus many MUDs have their own swap file virtual memory set up automatically. Plus the actual OSes virtual memory.

I've really only worked with MOO which is 1) bad and 2) bad, especially if you have a whole lot of tasks running at once (which is going to happen). I seem to recall HellMOO's Top Dogs, when discussing moving to a new server, saying that it was using 1-2 GB and they needed a RAM upgrade (also more hard drive space because core dumps were literally 4 gigs each). And the game was pretty darn small!

MOO is just not good never use it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, well it looks like the original immortal is bringing in a bunch of old players, so I'm just going to go ahead and put it out for everyone.

If you'd like to try Magrathea, connect to (Edit:) 192.227.143.195 port 2000. It's based on ROM, with some customizations to the code and a good number of new areas. Hit up Landros in-game for a Newbie Kit.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or bug reports. The help files need work, as does the newbie guide--I'll be working on those as we go along. If you find bugs or typos, you can use the "bug" and "typo" commands, or PM me directly. If you have a sweet area that you think will fit, let me know and we'll see about incorporating it. Other content ideas are great too.

code:
Welcome to...
'||\   /||`                                 ||    '||
 ||\\.//||                                  ||     ||
 ||     ||   '''|.  .|''|, '||''|  '''|.  ''||''   ||''|, .|''|,  '''|.
 ||     ||  .|''||  ||  ||  ||    .|''||    ||     ||  || ||..|| .|''||
.||     ||. `|..||. `|..|| .||.   `|..||.   `|..' .||  || `|...  `|..||.
                        ||
                     `..|'ooo$$$$$$$$$$oooo
                      oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o
                   oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o         o$   $$ o$
   o $ oo        o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o       $$ $$ $$o$
oo $ $ "$      o$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$o       $$$o$$o$
"$$$$$$o$     o$$$$$$$$$  **  $$$$$$$$$  **  $$$$$$$$$$o    $$$$$$$$
  $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$  """$$$
   "$$$""""$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     "$$$
    o$$   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$      $$$o
   $$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" "$$$$$$oooo$$$$o
  o$$$oooo$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  $$$$$$$$"$$$$   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     $$$$""""""""
  """"      $$$$    "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"      o$$$  Based on ROM 2.4b4
            "$$$o     """$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$"         $$$   Original DikuMUD by
              $$$o          "$$""$$$$""""           o$$$    Hans Staerfeldt,
               $$$$o                oo            o$$$"     Katja Nyboe,
                "$$$$o     o$$$$$$o"$$$$o       o$$$$       Tom Madsen,
                  "$$$$$oo    ""$$$$o$$$$$o  o$$$$""        Michael Seifert,
                     ""$$$$oooo  "$$$o$$$$$ $$$"""          Sebastian Hammer.
                         ""$$$$$$oo $$$$$$$$$        Based on MERC 2.1 code by:
Magrathea 2.31                   """$$$$$$$$$$       Hatchet, Furey, and Kahn
copyright (c) 1997 - 2003            $$$$$$$$$   ROM 2.4 copyright(c) 1993-1996
by Scott Baker and Jason LeBlanc       $$$$$     by Russ Taylor
All Rights Reserved
Additonal Code provided by Chris Lucas, Andy Brown and Todd Harris.
Game design and concepts by:
Jason LeBlanc, Scott Baker, Ashley Harvey, Todd Harris and all our Imms.
Brief newbie guide:

Get a newbie kit from me, or another Immortal.
Make sure to set wimpy!
Don't forget to sacrifice corpses, it's a good way to make a little change for food.
Most of the transit mall is pretty safe to explore, but be careful in the extreme north and south ends of Hotel Somethingorother, they have relatively powerful aggressive mobs. Other rooms are safer.
If you do die, find an immortal or a higher-level player, they should be able to get your stuff back
If you're thirsty, drink from the waterfall at recall.
If you're hungry, you can get falaffels cheap from Amir, 1e 2n from recall.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 7, 2013

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ARACHNOTRON posted:

I've really only worked with MOO which is 1) bad and 2) bad, especially if you have a whole lot of tasks running at once (which is going to happen). I seem to recall HellMOO's Top Dogs, when discussing moving to a new server, saying that it was using 1-2 GB and they needed a RAM upgrade (also more hard drive space because core dumps were literally 4 gigs each). And the game was pretty darn small!

MOO is just not good never use it

One of these days I gotta see if Stunt is worth using. It's some MOO derivative with multiple inheritance and other useful things. Apparently the built in HTTP support is actually good, and there's a native map database system that doesn't suck rear end.

Basically I'm too lazy to learn to code anything but MOO.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
What are some good resources to get into coding MUD stuff? What would be best for a beginner who basically knows jack poo poo? I've only ever programmed in C and I was still pretty bad, but MUDs fascinate me and I'd love to to dabble into it. I've messed around a bit with hellcore but I was pretty confused without some decent info about how to go about it. Suggestions?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Depends on what kind of MUD you want to work with.

You can grab the ROM source and just start looking through it. The way I learned everything as a kid was just grepping all the files for commands -- for example, if I wanted to know how to target someone using something, I'd look up the "give" command. Or if I wanted to know how to access player stats, I checked out the "score" command.

All of the player stat definitions are stored somewhere (stats.h?), ditto for the command tables and special item vnums, etc. It's been years and years since I've done it though.

veril
Aug 28, 2004

Highblood posted:

What are some good resources to get into coding MUD stuff? What would be best for a beginner who basically knows jack poo poo? I've only ever programmed in C and I was still pretty bad, but MUDs fascinate me and I'd love to to dabble into it. I've messed around a bit with hellcore but I was pretty confused without some decent info about how to go about it. Suggestions?

So first, figure out what kind of MUD you want to code. If you don't have a preference, I'd go for either a popular one (CircleMUD/TBAMUD, ROM, Smaug) or a new one (like CoffeeMUD).

The popular old ones, like CircleMUD, will often have coding guides available (such as http://www.circlemud.org/cdp/#COD ). The new ones, like CoffeeMUD, have the benefit of having the original authors of the codebase still active and available to answer questions.

Most of these also have user-contributed patches available to add features, so you may want to look for and try to apply a patch. They usually point out the feature they're trying to add (like adding a new class, or adding a new spell), so you can use those as good guides to see how to make those changes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pick one of the MUD dbs that actually lets you code it while its running, though. There are a handful that don't and I'm sure that's a pain unless you just give out your database to every single coder so they can all have a local testing copy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haephastus posted:

Pick one of the MUD dbs that actually lets you code it while its running, though. There are a handful that don't and I'm sure that's a pain unless you just give out your database to every single coder so they can all have a local testing copy.

Which could work. My plan for Magrathea (ROM-based) is to have everyone fork a git repository from Bitbucket containing the source and the area files. They can then make changes and test them on their own machine. When they're happy with the change, they'll submit a pull request to the main repository, where everyone can see the proposed changes and discuss them before merging them in.

If done right, I think it could be more effective than online coding, where you just have people randomly tossing objects into a big database.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Pham Nuwen posted:

code:
Welcome to...
'||\   /||`                                 ||    '||
 ||\\.//||                                  ||     ||
 ||     ||   '''|.  .|''|, '||''|  '''|.  ''||''   ||''|, .|''|,  '''|.
 ||     ||  .|''||  ||  ||  ||    .|''||    ||     ||  || ||..|| .|''||
.||     ||. `|..||. `|..|| .||.   `|..||.   `|..' .||  || `|...  `|..||.
Brief newbie guide:

Get a newbie kit from me, or another Immortal.
Make sure to set wimpy!
Don't forget to sacrifice corpses, it's a good way to make a little change for food.
Most of the transit mall is pretty safe to explore, but be careful in the extreme north and south ends of Hotel Somethingorother, they have relatively powerful aggressive mobs. Other rooms are safer.
If you do die, find an immortal or a higher-level player, they should be able to get your stuff back
If you're thirsty, drink from the waterfall at recall.
If you're hungry, you can get falaffels cheap from Amir, 1e 2n from recall.

If I could be so bold:
-Obligatory sacrificing after each kill for gold should be automated instead of giving incentive for players to set up triggers.
-I would suggest, for your own sake, discouraging immortals from assisting with getting corpses back. It's a poor precedent to set for a lot of reasons. Coddling players isn't going to keep them around. Setting up a system where dying doesn't gently caress you over completely and make you miserable will.
-If wimpy is such a good idea to set, I would have it put on automatically and leave it up to the player to turn off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Secret Sweater posted:

If I could be so bold:
-Obligatory sacrificing after each kill for gold should be automated instead of giving incentive for players to set up triggers.

Autosac, autogold, and autoloot will toggle those things. Needs to be more clear, though.

Good point about the corpses... I'm not sure what the best solution is, ideally you're supposed to find another player to help you get it back, but there's not always one around which is why I suggested asking an Imm. There may be options to set for how the game handles death, I'll look at it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How do people feel about crafting systems? More complex or less complex, which is better?

I'm envisioning a crafting system where, instead of set recipes you follow to make static items, you take a group of materials and make whatever you want out of them. With relatively loose rules (like, you can't make clothes out of food materials), you'd find what you want and put them together in a way that may or may not make sense, for a result that may or may not be desirable. You can make a piece of armor out of cow leather, out of bamboo, out of stone, out of turtle shells, out of dragon scales, etc, and some of these armors would be awesome, while others would be terrible or flat-out unusable. You could brew potions by preparing ingredients and adding them, discovering their effects yourself or by word of mouth. Effects might be dependent on preparation: Maybe this particular plant has restorative properties and the powdered leaves make a good health potion ingredient, but if you boil the leaves you get a toxin instead. That could also extend to armor - uncured cow skin makes a soft tunic, but tan it up to make a hard leather breastplate.

The idea is that by making the systems more complex, crafters are encouraged to experiment, and develop their own personal "brand." Maybe one player makes the very best health potions in the game, so that guy can make bank selling the things to others. Then another guy comes around and figures out how to make a potion that's better, or one that's just as effective but cheaper and easier to produce. It could create a really interesting player economy. I'm curious if something like this would ultimately drive people away, though, or toward simply buying basic equipment from NPCs and ignoring the crafting system due to complexity.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

How do people feel about crafting systems? More complex or less complex, which is better?

I'm envisioning a crafting system where, instead of set recipes you follow to make static items, you take a group of materials and make whatever you want out of them. With relatively loose rules (like, you can't make clothes out of food materials), you'd find what you want and put them together in a way that may or may not make sense, for a result that may or may not be desirable. You can make a piece of armor out of cow leather, out of bamboo, out of stone, out of turtle shells, out of dragon scales, etc, and some of these armors would be awesome, while others would be terrible or flat-out unusable. You could brew potions by preparing ingredients and adding them, discovering their effects yourself or by word of mouth. Effects might be dependent on preparation: Maybe this particular plant has restorative properties and the powdered leaves make a good health potion ingredient, but if you boil the leaves you get a toxin instead. That could also extend to armor - uncured cow skin makes a soft tunic, but tan it up to make a hard leather breastplate.

The idea is that by making the systems more complex, crafters are encouraged to experiment, and develop their own personal "brand." Maybe one player makes the very best health potions in the game, so that guy can make bank selling the things to others. Then another guy comes around and figures out how to make a potion that's better, or one that's just as effective but cheaper and easier to produce. It could create a really interesting player economy. I'm curious if something like this would ultimately drive people away, though, or toward simply buying basic equipment from NPCs and ignoring the crafting system due to complexity.

I think it sounds pretty cool, kind of like Dwarf Fortress. You could assign crafting values to each item, so a tanned cowhide will provide N points to any armor you make with it, willow bark can add X points of pain reduction to a potion, etc. Difficult to do, but lots of cool potential.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

I would definitely dig into something like that. You could probably even enhance the self discovery aspect by having giving each process somewhat random quirks based on how it was learned. Say someone putrefying swamp root via the dwarven method would get something with completely different properties than using the gnomish method, but for 90% of task the 2 methods would behave the same.

Let people bypass the randomness by having a few reliable teachers while still allowing self-taught crafters the opportunity to try and find something new without forcing them to do something crazy like batmud's great alchemy experiment.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Pham Nuwen posted:

Autosac, autogold, and autoloot will toggle those things. Needs to be more clear, though.

Good point about the corpses... I'm not sure what the best solution is, ideally you're supposed to find another player to help you get it back, but there's not always one around which is why I suggested asking an Imm. There may be options to set for how the game handles death, I'll look at it.

I've seen a lot of different ones. For the hardcore muds where you drop all your poo poo every death, I've seen temples where you pray and it eats random piece(s) of gear for the service of giving you most of your stuff back. It's a gamble and it could end up eating 3 of your best items. The cost could be whatever you want: experience, gold etc.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is your game actually up? I can't connect at all.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Victorkm posted:

Is your game actually up? I can't connect at all.

It's been up continuously since Sunday, according to the "time" command. Are you behind a firewall at all?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's been up continuously since Sunday, according to the "time" command. Are you behind a firewall at all?

I have the same problem... looks like a proper backbone routing issue.
pinging the address gets me a "TTL expired in transit" error and tracert gets caught in a loop

tracert 197.227.143.195 posted:

19 329 ms 332 ms 327 ms ph-g1-0-0.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.5]
20 328 ms 327 ms 327 ms or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.10]
21 328 ms 328 ms 327 ms 196.192.102.53
22 328 ms 327 ms 327 ms ph-g1-0-0.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.5]
23 327 ms 327 ms 327 ms or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.10]
24 328 ms 327 ms 326 ms 196.192.102.53

Could anyone else who cant reach check if its getting caught in the same place?

EDIT: should probably add that I'm trying to connect from Texas

Reicere fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 7, 2013

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not at home I'm not. I also can't connect at work from what I've tried.

code:
Unable to connect to "Mag", code = 10060 (Connection timed out)

Error occurred during phase: Connecting to world: 197.227.143.195, port 2000
Edit: ^^^^^ Same thing happens with me.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 7, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I logged in to a machine in New York, ran traceroute, ended up in a similar routing loop. I can telnet fine from home but end up in a similar loop if I traceroute. According to the geoip lookup, those IPs are in Mauritius. What the hell.

I submitted a ticket to the hosting company, hopefully this is a temporary issue.

code:
20  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  295.370 ms  294.225 ms  295.244 ms
21  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.305 ms  295.343 ms  292.588 ms
22  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  292.701 ms  292.699 ms  294.250 ms
23  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  295.773 ms *  292.136 ms
24  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.587 ms  292.427 ms  294.195 ms
25  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  293.078 ms  291.615 ms  292.681 ms
26  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  293.978 ms  295.618 ms  293.751 ms
27  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.606 ms  292.464 ms  294.060 ms
28  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  294.377 ms  292.897 ms  292.851 ms
29  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  294.161 ms  295.924 ms  296.105 ms
30  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.692 ms  292.445 ms  292.888 ms

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

code:
20  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  295.370 ms  294.225 ms  295.244 ms
21  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.305 ms  295.343 ms  292.588 ms
22  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  292.701 ms  292.699 ms  294.250 ms
23  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  295.773 ms *  292.136 ms
24  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.587 ms  292.427 ms  294.195 ms
25  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  293.078 ms  291.615 ms  292.681 ms
26  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  293.978 ms  295.618 ms  293.751 ms
27  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.606 ms  292.464 ms  294.060 ms
28  or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.10)  294.377 ms  292.897 ms  292.851 ms
29  bi-g4-7.telecomplus.net (202.123.2.66)  294.161 ms  295.924 ms  296.105 ms
30  ph-g6-1.telecomplus.net (196.192.102.45)  292.692 ms  292.445 ms  292.888 ms

Quick debug question: are you using google chrome?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I logged in to a machine in New York, ran traceroute, ended up in a similar routing loop. I can telnet fine from home but end up in a similar loop if I traceroute. According to the geoip lookup, those IPs are in Mauritius. What the hell.

I submitted a ticket to the hosting company, hopefully this is a temporary issue.

I'm an idiot who doesn't know to just copy-paste the drat IP.

It's 192.227.143.195 port 2000, not 197. drat it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I personally enjoy high complexity systems but they can be a nightmare in terms of grind and resources. Most MUDs and MMOs I've played haven't offered much incentive to bother with crafting; the items worth crafting either take months of training to make or require extremely rare materials. Meanwhile, players who enjoy crafting are loaded down with tons of materials that don't go together, either in their inventory or housing.

Your idea sounds interesting, I'd like to see how it would work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Unguided posted:

I personally enjoy high complexity systems but they can be a nightmare in terms of grind and resources. Most MUDs and MMOs I've played haven't offered much incentive to bother with crafting; the items worth crafting either take months of training to make or require extremely rare materials. Meanwhile, players who enjoy crafting are loaded down with tons of materials that don't go together, either in their inventory or housing.

Your idea sounds interesting, I'd like to see how it would work.

My most extensive experience with crafting has been in LotRO. I always had a lot of items for other professions filling up my inventory. It was reasonably easy to find basic materials (ores and wood) because they showed up as markers on the map. You could do something similar by having player select a resource to be "looking out for". So you might be on the lookout for medicinal herbs, and when you enter a room it gives you a highlighted note if there's anything useful. You could then just type "collect" to grab whatever's in the room. This would encourage wandering while still requiring some interaction. Could work in something similar when you kill a mob that has craftable components, or just make it automatically harvest skins if you've indicated interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
My favorite crafting system that everyone wanted to take part in, was very rewarding and didn't require a lot of time because it took days to gain a single level (and weeks beyond that) was from Conquest. You had to craft all the components to upgrade weapons/armor and you had to use other people to get all of the stuff together so you couldn't just do everything yourself. The items were as good as super good drops and it was awesome. The only oversight was there was nothing to remove the items from the game (items were bound to characters, though).

• Locked thread