Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Would you goons please stop enabling Benny's self sabotage by telling him he's either going to kick rear end on the first day at his first retail job ever or "sales just isn't for you"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Shark Attack! posted:

* Approach the customer from the front (don't sneak up behind them)
* Smile
* Always start with icebreaking, never ask 'can I help you' .. complement something they are wearing, talk about their necklace, weather, something local and inoffensive.
* Find out what brought them in to the store - maybe they are looking for pants or a new outfit, try to avoid letting them say 'just browsing'. Try something like 'is this your first time into our store?' .. if yes, briefly give them some info about the store, if no, welcome them back
* Be aware of shoplifters, keep your back to the wall as much as possible, maintain eye contact and approach people often
* Get people to try stuff on, tell them it looks nice or suggest something else if it doesn't
* Take stuff up to the front cash for them so they don't have to carry it around / don't risk them putting it back
* Be grateful, if it's slow carry stuff out to the car for women, etc.
* Be busy when there are no customers - stock shelves, tidy up, etc, etc.

A lot of this advice is wrong.

You don't break the ice by complimenting someone's clothes. You let the person know that you're available if needed but otherwise stay in the background, and if you see them picking clothes off the shelves you offer to start a fitting room (deters shoplifting too). Be honest in your critiques -- if something doesn't look good, don't say it does. Don't leave the store.

Buckle is a store that sells cheap clothes to teens. You job isn't to upsell the clothing, it's to hang around and help where needed. You don't need to convince people to buy things, most people who come in with the intent to buy will buy, while people who are just browsing are just going to browse.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

You don't break the ice by complimenting someone's clothes. You let the person know that you're available if needed but otherwise stay in the background, and if you see them picking clothes off the shelves you offer to start a fitting room (deters shoplifting too). Be honest in your critiques -- if something doesn't look good, don't say it does. Don't leave the store.

Buckle is a store that sells cheap clothes to teens. You job isn't to upsell the clothing, it's to hang around and help where needed. You don't need to convince people to buy things, most people who come in with the intent to buy will buy, while people who are just browsing are just going to browse.

Actually, some of their clothing can be a bit pricey. And even though you shouldn't chase the customer out of the store by hounding them to buy something, you are a salesperson. Every time I've gone in there, the person working there has been aggressive with the sale.

Also, this person is correct. NEVER LEAVE THE STORE.

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___

Spoken by the guy at the bottom of the sales chart

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Shark Attack! posted:

I've worked in high end retail and low end retail, and at no point is 'hounding the customer into buying clothes' ever good advice. It's a mall store, it's not the set of Glengarry Glen Ross. Be available, be friendly, and be honest. Don't push clothing on people, and don't give empty fake compliments (it's really easy to tell when someone is saying 'nice shoes' as a segue to push something you don't want to buy on you.)

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

I've worked in high end retail and low end retail, and at no point is 'hounding the customer into buying clothes' ever good advice. It's a mall store, it's not the set of Glengarry Glen Ross. Be available, be friendly, and be honest. Don't push clothing on people, and don't give empty fake compliments (it's really easy to tell when someone is saying 'nice shoes' as a segue to push something you don't want to buy on you.)

Yeah, pretty much this. If they hire you, they will train you on the techniques that they expect you to use when you work with customers. I've browsed around in a Buckle store before, and it's not a used car lot. They do the standard "Hi, can I help you find anything" greeting, and then they keep an eye on you while you shop and offer to open a change room if you start picking up items. They answer questions about the merchandise if you have any, they check for different sizes if you request them, etc. This should not be a radically different experience than working at a Hollister or an American Eagle would be.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

it's not the set of Glengarry Glen Ross

Speaking of which, maybe the OP should get pumped up by watching this great motivational speech.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A lot of the advice for retail carries over into job fairs and interviews too. It's all about social interaction and gauging other people's reactions, which Benny unfortunately, doesn't seem to be too good at.

There's still hope though, I've seen incredibly awkward people turn into monsters on the sales floor. It's all about finding the approach that works for you, Benny and I don't think you've found it yet.

Here's some advice that should work anywhere: Never say "yes" or "no" to a question, and never ask a question that could end in either of those two answers (in a sales environment like an interview, not a loving kitchen, I shouldn't have to say this but goddamn) The goal is always to get the other person interested in what you are selling. If you can't segue from a question about job responsibilities or waist sizes into something else (that the other person is interested in), you hosed up. A straight yes or no kills the conversation right there.

Edit: I'm honestly not sure if the OP is desperate enough to really make a change yet. Something dramatic like his mom burning all his comics might do the trick.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 29, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Shark Attack! posted:

Making one high-pressure sale is not worth a customer that goes to a different store next time. It it exactly that mentality that drives companies as Bestbuy (I think that was them) into the cliffs. It looks great on paper for the short time.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just had my interview at Buckles today. I did good today. I expect to hear from them by Wednesday. Even better, I have a phone interview with target tomorrow and an interview for a customer service position at a realtor on Wednesday! I am on a roll!

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2013

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Good for you. Push hard for the real estate position - as long as it isn't commission based cold calls.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Good for you. Push hard for the real estate position - as long as it isn't commission based cold calls.
drat, I should've asked that.

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___

Benny the Snake posted:

A good question to ask in an interview is a 'day in the life' question, like, "can you please describe to me what my typical day would be like?" That should give you a decent idea of that person's vision for the position.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

It ill become immediately apparent during the interview if that's what the position entails.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

How did you not ask about what the job entails and what the daily expectations were? :psyduck:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Morby posted:

How did you not ask about what the job entails and what the daily expectations were? :psyduck:

http://youtu.be/CyDvg4oRAbM?t=58s

Pretty much that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really think he takes after this more.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So good news. I got the job at Target. I'm going to be a cart attendant which means I'm going to be pushing carts, cleaning bathrooms, and handling the register every so often. I know I got it because they had me take a drug test. I'm cautiously optomistic: I won't be celebrating until I get hours after my first week.

On another note: I found out what kind of office I'm scheduled for an interview on Wednesday. It's a collection agency.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

So good news. I got the job at Target. I'm going to be a cart attendant which means I'm going to be pushing carts, cleaning bathrooms, and handling the register every so often. I know I got it because they had me take a drug test. I'm cautiously optomistic: I won't be celebrating until I get hours after my first week.

On another note: I found out what kind of office I'm scheduled for an interview on Wednesday. It's a collection agency.

Yikes. Go do the target job, it sounds more up your alley than making high pressure calls to people.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

ClemenSalad posted:

Yikes. Go do the target job, it sounds more up your alley than making high pressure calls to people.
Obviously.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Way to go, man. My experience is that once you've worked somewhere for a bit, it gets easier to get subsequent interviews.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Good work Benny. Get that job, save your money, and work your way out of your parents house. You can do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Definitely still do the interview though! I'd consider taking it and showing up if you can get hours that don't conflict with target, may as well try things.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Good work Benny, what about the Buckles job, is that still up in the air?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

I know I got it because they had me take a drug test. I'm cautiously optomistic: I won't be celebrating until I get hours after my first week.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I had more than one company back in the day that had you get a drug test as part of the application process, and not a "we'll hire you if you pass the drug test" thing. Don't slack off on the apps until you've got a paycheck in your hand.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Scapegoat posted:

Good work Benny, what about the Buckles job, is that still up in the air?
I should know by Wednesday.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I had more than one company back in the day that had you get a drug test as part of the application process, and not a "we'll hire you if you pass the drug test" thing. Don't slack off on the apps until you've got a paycheck in your hand.
Well the HR chief said that I should be in orientation by Saturday depending when they get the results. That and they are in desperate need of people to work in parking lot (their words, not mine).

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2013

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
It seems like most of the people around here that are employed to push shopping carts have Down's Syndrome ... so I guess you're in good company!

I think I might pay to change your avatar to Bubbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD77ln7vZJU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Good job Benny, you navigated the abuse of the thread and found yourself a job. Now just don't run those carts into an ambulance or hearse or something.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Good work, Benny!

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Why is everyone so happy? He's gotten this far before and hosed up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Jizznastics posted:

Positive thinking.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Jizznastics posted:

3rd times the charm and hes actually pushed carts before and presumably wasn't immediately fired.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Benny if this job works out just get the cheapest place you possibly can, make it month to month and then plan a move to a big city where relying on public transport won't be so limiting and there will be office jobs you can get with your degree. I believe strongly that you will be better at relatively slow-paced office or reception work in a city than you're going to be working under your capacity (let's be generous here) pushing carts at target.

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003

Shark Attack! posted:

It seems like most of the people around here that are employed to push shopping carts have Down's Syndrome ... so I guess you're in good company!

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to make retarded people wander acres of sticky black asphalt when it's 110 in the shade.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Besides, whatever his character flaws, a lot of people would have given up in despair by now.

Covered In Bees posted:

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to make retarded people wander acres of sticky black asphalt when it's 110 in the shade.

You say that like the U.S. has labor laws or something.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not 40 pages yet, 3 jobs, and all the help SA has, but man. I gotsa know how a guy can get a 4 year degree anywhere, and still find pushing a shopping cart into a coral is step up. Benny, youre moving forward but I think you need more help than you think, or I'm disappointed in your degree/college/uni. But STAY with the job, it seems it suits your ability for now. You will grow.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I

Benny the Snake posted:

I was not expecting this.

Go Benny and don't forget to check back in when you get fired on your first day.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I

Shark Attack! posted:

I think I might pay to change your avatar to Bubbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD77ln7vZJU

Almost worth platinum to report this oval office.

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003

english muffin posted:

Almost worth platinum to report this oval office.

I feel triggered by gendered insults.

Reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Good for you, Benny. Good luck at your new job!

• Locked thread