Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ApexAftermath posted:

Has anyone been able to find more complete spoilers for the film? Google only turns up that angry idiot with the spoilers on Cumberbach's character, but what I want to know is under what circumstances does the Enterprise crash/when does it happen in the film?

Yeah! What he said!

Analysis of the trailer seemed to indicate that Cumberbatch/Harrison/Khan's ship was the one crashing through buildings, etc, not the enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

jivjov posted:

Analysis of the trailer seemed to indicate that Cumberbatch/Harrison/Khan's ship was the one crashing through buildings, etc, not the enterprise

It seems to clearly be the Enterprise falling out of the sky with pieces of it flying off at the camera. Unless the shot of the Enterprise falling out of the sky, and the ship crashing into the water are two different things but I doubt it.

Can someone put this to rest?

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

ApexAftermath posted:

It seems to clearly be the Enterprise falling out of the sky with pieces of it flying off at the camera. Unless the shot of the Enterprise falling out of the sky, and the ship crashing into the water are two different things but I doubt it.

Can someone put this to rest?

They are two separate things. Harrison's ship crashes, the Enterprise is in a precarious spot.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Great_Gerbil posted:

They are two separate things. Harrison's ship crashes, the Enterprise is in a precarious spot.

So what happens? Does the thing Kirk does that kills him get the ship flying again right before it crashes?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

Hey, wait a sec. You're Australian, why haven't you seen this yet and reported back?

It was a choice between seeing this or Iron Man 3 this week and I chose Iron Man.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dan Didio posted:

It was a choice between seeing this or Iron Man 3 this week and I chose Iron Man.

You're a monster, Dan Didio.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well here's pretty much the full movie spoilers for anyone who wanted them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Feels underwhelming but we'll see the actual product. That said it's cool that Uhura factors in more and that Spock takes action. Hopefully the San Fran chase is good as is the warp speed battle.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

You're a monster, Dan Didio.

I was really impressed with Iron Man 3, but now after hearing about all this stuff I'm kind of bummed I didn't wait for this.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
This honestly sounds awesome.

I hope it doesn't take 4 more years for the sequel or that they finally make a TV show or something

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Good god, that is one of my top two favorite line deliveries in that movie. The other being "SPOOOOOOOOOOCHHHH!!!! SPOOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

He really crunches down on Spock's name there.

Though I'm personally fond of FIRE EVERYTHING!!!!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though I'm personally fond of FIRE EVERYTHING!!!!!

I think the point we've all been circling around is that Bana is one of the high points of that movie and has pretty much every single "great line delivery" in the film. (The one major exception being Spock's "Go gently caress yourselvesLive long and prosper".)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

jivjov posted:

(The one major exception being Spock's "Go gently caress yourselvesLive long and prosper".)

The music that kicks in to transition to the next scene really helps sell this one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gimme some of that Funky Spock!

The Rifftrax for ST09 is excellent by the way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How are Australians getting something first? :psyduck:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

haha this is amazing.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Last King posted:

haha this is amazing.

Its like they literally sat down with the intent to piss off star trek sperglords.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

In my nerdy opinion, the next movie should be centered around Q. The story would be that all the Alt. Reality tomfoolery has drawn the attention of the Q Continuim, and so they tell John DeLancy to beat everyone back into line. Being Q, he's aware of the alternate universises (although he doesn't bring it up except in specific instance. The story climzes with Q making Chris Pine fight the Borg (and of course PineKirk wins because :smugbert:)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

In my nerdy opinion, the next movie should be centered around Q. The story would be that all the Alt. Reality tomfoolery has drawn the attention of the Q Continuim, and so they tell John DeLancy to beat everyone back into line. Being Q, he's aware of the alternate universises (although he doesn't bring it up except in specific instance. The story climzes with Q making Chris Pine fight the Borg (and of course PineKirk wins because :smugbert:)
John de Lancie is spending all his time at Brony conventions.

I'm not even joking.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SirPhoebos posted:

Try dis. Rogue Founders of the Dominion hatch a plan to take some Jem'Hadar and steal a few Borg Ships along with an Armada, go back in time to Kirk's era and wreck poo poo up until a new Enterprise from a 100 years after Nemesis from an alternate dimension sent by Q shows up run entirely by Androids and the two Enterprises must beat the Borged Dominion. The sequel has Kirk and crew on the future Enterprise go into Fluidic space to kick that Scorpion species' rear end because they be dicks like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Throb Robinson posted:

Its like they literally sat down with the intent to piss off star trek sperglords.

After reading the last couple posts, Thank God.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

api call girl posted:

After reading the last couple posts, Thank God.

I dont think we are serious. I dont know how you could have thought that.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Josh Lyman posted:

John de Lancie is spending all his time at Brony conventions.

I'm not even joking.

I really wanted you to be joking.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

I dont think we are serious. I dont know how you could have thought that.

Never underestimate nerd sperg.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

Never underestimate nerd sperg.

Poe's Law, Corollary #2. There is probably someone sincerely unironically espousing your parody of their position. Also see: Wookieepedia.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 29, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

api call girl posted:

Poe's Law, Corollary #2. There is probably someone sincere enough that unironically espouses your parody of their position. Also see: Wookieepedia.

Or Memory Beta - the wiki for the Star Trek EU

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

bobkatt013 posted:

Or Memory Beta - the wiki for the Star Trek EU

There was a novel set before the Enterprise E was officially launched where we learn that Scotty came back from retirement to help design it. Then Kelsey Grammar's character from the time loop episode steals the Enterprise to exact some sort of revenge.

Picard and Scotty team up to stop him.

It was very bizarre.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Great_Gerbil posted:

There was a novel set before the Enterprise E was officially launched where we learn that Scotty came back from retirement to help design it. Then Kelsey Grammar's character from the time loop episode steals the Enterprise to exact some sort of revenge.

Picard and Scotty team up to stop him.

It was very bizarre.

I didn't realize that the Trek EU books followed the Star Wars model of giving minor characters with about 30 seconds of screentime their own novels and elaborate backstories.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Don't watch the new clip with Kirk/Harrison talking in the brig if you want to avoid any possible spoiler. They (possibly) say something big.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just remembered Memory Gamma which is worse then Beta, since Gamma is for fan fiction.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

BrandonGK posted:

I didn't realize that the Trek EU books followed the Star Wars model of giving minor characters with about 30 seconds of screentime their own novels and elaborate backstories.

I don't think they do it all that often. And to be fair, Kelsey Grammar's character and ship could actually make for an interesting story if done well. Old ship and crew ends up in the future.

Sounds like the actual EU story kinda sucked, though.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
To clarify something: the movie isn't out in Australia until May 9 (which is still sooner than the US release date). When people say it "premiered" there they mean the red carpet event initial advance screening.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Throb Robinson posted:

Honestly most of the screaming I'm hearing are people being pissed that Khan was whitwashed as a character.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly most of the screaming I'm hearing are people being pissed that Khan was whitwashed as a character.

I still feel weird about that considering that if you look at it another way he was already... I don't know, "brownwashed" in the first place considering that he was a character of Indian/West Asian descent being played by a Mexican man. Seems like a lot of hair splitting to me.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I always thought it was pretty clever and subversive that the peak achievement of eugenics was not white.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Bob Quixote posted:

I still feel weird about that considering that if you look at it another way he was already... I don't know, "brownwashed" in the first place considering that he was a character of Indian/West Asian descent being played by a Mexican man. Seems like a lot of hair splitting to me.

I feel like what you're saying is the same as trying to say that Uhura was "brownwashed" because an African-American actress's role was cast with a black Dominican-Puerto Rican actress, in that it fundamentally fails to recognize that as far as Hollywood is concerned, there's "white" and "other." The fact is, there are precious few major roles of color in modern Hollywood - more than there used to be, but still not a whole lot - and while having a minority of one group play a minority of another group isn't the vanguard of thoughtful consideration of race and ethnicity in filmmaking, it's a drat sight better than turning one of the most iconic roles in the franchise white. "Space Seed" was 46 years ago and Wrath of Khan was 31 - regression from that isn't particularly acceptable.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm happy they picked an actor who can do what appears to be a pretty good play of the character. They're not being racist - their prime choice turned it down for other commitments, and the next guy on their list got the part instead. It'd be more ignorant to cast a guy who's "kind of not really white" to play a Sikh character instead of someone who does the best job of it. We also don't know if any North Indians tried out for the part or not so who's call is it to make that they picked the white guy instead.

I'm not really seeing an issue.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 30, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

korusan posted:

I'm happy they picked an actor who can do what appears to be a pretty good play of the character. They're not being racist - their prime choice turned it down for other commitments, and the next guy on their list got the part instead. It'd be more ignorant to cast a guy who's "kind of not really white" to play a Sikh character instead of someone who does the best job of it. We also don't know if any North Indians tried out for the part or not so who's call is it to make that they picked the white guy instead.

I'm not really seeing an issue.

From the perspective of confronting the structural obstacles that lead to a dearth of actors of color getting major roles like this, it is absolutely better to miscast by casting another person of color than it is to miscast by casting a white actor. Obviously, it's best not to miscast at all, but there's a reason that we talk about the problem in terms of "whitewashing." So no, it's not "more ignorant."

I don't think Abrams is "racist" in the sense of he sat down and said "time to gently caress over some people of color," but he's either ignorant enough or apathetic enough to allow what progress has been made - a good chunk of it by Star Trek itself - to roll back. The idea that "well, since their first choice turned it down, so it's a free for all on the appropriateness of casting down the list" would be equally true if, after Will Smith turned down the part, Tarantino had cast Brad Pitt as Django. This is ridiculous. Given the pernicious history of casting calls (and the fact that in casting, auditions for these kinds of roles are often not done by casting call, but by offer or approach to audition), I'm not sure whether even knowing whether any North Indians tried out will tell us anything meaningful.

So the issue is basically "actors of color, arguably more so in sci-fi/fantasy/genre pictures, face serious obstacles to attaining the sort of big, iconic roles that regularly go to white dudes like Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto and, yes, Benedict Cumberbatch. Whether or not we should actively "brownwash" white characters, such as Nick Fury, aside, whitewashing the few big, iconic roles that are textually and historically characters of color is a bad thing." Assuming we care about racism in our Star Treks.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I have no problems with an ÜberMensch being white. It makes the eugenics war seem more...disturbingly real. An Indian/Hispanic genetically engineered supersoldier seems less believable for whatever reason. Between WWII and countless movies, it's just in my head that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not going to spoil this entire post (since I feel it defeats the purpose), but it's about the topic at hand:

I'm not seeing the onus or obligation to cast a character from a specific race or ethnicity, especially when the character we're discussing's race or ethnicity was never even a facet of the character's... well, character.

• Locked thread