Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Sorry, I was too busy being the baddest motherfucker in the room. :smug:

Soldier4Lyfe :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burning Mustache posted:

It's you.
You're the terrible pubbies the people in the ME3 MP thread are complaining about. :shepface:

I have no interest in playing ME3 MP and never have, so I can be as terrible as I want all in my own time :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Vanguard was ruined for me by playing a femshep. Won't do that again. Maybe I'll try vanguard again, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerusalem posted:

I have no interest in playing ME3 MP and never have, so I can be as terrible as I want all in my own time :colbert:

You are absolutely missing out on far and away the best part of ME3.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Zoran posted:

A thousand times this.

I'm a bit burned out on it recently, but then I've also sunk some ~300 hours into it (which is probably pretty low compared to some of the other ME3 MP veterans around here), but you absolutely owe it to yourself to give it a try.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Zoran posted:

I'm personally not into multiplayer games at all, and spent my first playthrough being a sniper rifle-only Infiltrator, though this playthrough (also Infiltrator because I lack imagination) I'm starting to play around with the Tech powers a bit.

I also don't think I'd be a credit to any MP team, at all. :ohdear: I haven't tried it, but what makes it different from/better than stuff like TF2 or... I don't know, do people still play Halo?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

morcant posted:

I'm personally not into multiplayer games at all, and spent my first playthrough being a sniper rifle-only Infiltrator, though this playthrough (also Infiltrator because I lack imagination) I'm starting to play around with the Tech powers a bit.

I also don't think I'd be a credit to any MP team, at all. :ohdear: I haven't tried it, but what makes it different from/better than stuff like TF2 or... I don't know, do people still play Halo?
It's coop not competetive, so the frequency of getting called a scrublord human being n00b by random strangers is pretty much zero. It's also harder than sp (but really it's not hard) so once you get good at mp you can go back to sp and just destroy the game. "Oh, an atlas? Yawn."

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's coop not competetive, so the frequency of getting called a scrublord human being n00b by random strangers is pretty much zero. It's also harder than sp (but really it's not hard) so once you get good at mp you can go back to sp and just destroy the game. "Oh, an atlas? Yawn."

It makes the main game downright hilarious at times. Panicked voices over the radio over an Atlas or a few Brutes dropped in as an end of level boss really loses its punch when you mow through over 5 of them each wave in multi.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerusalem posted:

In my defense, Shepard always carried one of each weapon in the previous games
Not in ME2. Unless you only played Soldier in ME2, which is just silly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I recently started a new playthrough of ME3. I am kind of shocked by how well done the game is while at the same time being awful to play. Everything is so much smoother in terms of story and gameplay, but the tone is so dark and bleak it's just a struggle to do much. It also feels much less free than the others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lycus posted:

I played a Vanguard, an abandoned Engineer run and currently I'm doing an Infiltrator run. I don't remember much about the Engineer run, but with the exception of the shotgun for the Infiltrator I'm pretty sure I'm always carrying one of every weapon? Each playthrough was months if not years apart though, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I played a Vanguard, an abandoned Engineer run and currently I'm doing an Infiltrator run. I don't remember much about the Engineer run, but with the exception of the shotgun for the Infiltrator I'm pretty sure I'm always carrying one of every weapon? Each playthrough was months if not years apart though, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Engineers, Adepts, and Sentinels can only carry the SMG and pistol in ME2 (until the collector ship, which lets you choose one more). Infiltrators and Vanguards get a sniper rifle and shotgun, respectively, in addition to the SMG and pistol. Soldiers get access to all weapons from the start (except for the SMG, which they never get).

And even though all classes carried all weapons in ME1, they were only worth a drat if you had training in them, so there was no real reason to ever use them unless you planned to invest points in them (a dumb way to design an action RPG that i'm glad ME2 moved far, far away from)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Vanguard was ruined for me by playing a femshep. Won't do that again. Maybe I'll try vanguard again, though.

I don't get this. Was it the voice acting - I don't even think there's gender + Class specific conversations? As far as I'm aware the gameplay itself doesn't change at all between genders.

I've only ever played as an Adept, since the first game. :smuggo:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

I don't get this. Was it the voice acting - I don't even think there's gender + Class specific conversations? As far as I'm aware the gameplay itself doesn't change at all between genders.

Because I could never get into femshep. She never felt right. It was work getting through a game and a half with her. I never liked her and she started creeping me out in ME2 when she was talking to Jacob. I know the goons have a love affair with her but I could never get into it. Shrug.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Because I could never get into femshep. She never felt right. It was work getting through a game and a half with her. I never liked her and she started creeping me out in ME2 when she was talking to Jacob. I know the goons have a love affair with her but I could never get into it. Shrug.

I'm sorry that you hate a strong woman in charge of her sexuality :shepface:

But seriously, most other people think that is just as creepy as you do. It's just that most feel she injects more emotion into the character in pretty much every conversation than Meer does. You have to at least admit that Jennifer Hale does a magnificent Penthouse Forum voice when she is sexually harrassing her crew. Try imagining the same tone coming out of BroShep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I try to avoid the sexual harassment from both maleShep and femaleShep whenever possible, though sometimes it sneaks up on you in horrifying ways. I think both did a really great job as voice actors, after playing maleShep for so long it was a little weird hearing another voice/seeing another face, but that fades pretty quickly.

I did Tali's loyalty mission recently, I'm really impressed with the voice actor's performance when they find her father and she starts panicking/goes into complete denial.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Femshep is awesome in ME2 because she sounds as uninterested and annoyed as someone who just spent two years dead should sound. It feels like there's depth in something that really doesn't have any.

Also interacting with Jacob being awkward is reflective solely on Jacob.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I just stop talking to Jacob after his loyalty mission. Problem solved :shepface:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chasiubao posted:

I just stop talking to Jacob after his loyalty mission. Problem solved :shepface:

I did the same my last playthrough. I really liked him the first time, but the last time he just rubbed me the wrong way. I ignored him for the vast majority of the game. I also liked Miranda much more this time.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I did the same my last playthrough. I really liked him the first time, but the last time he just rubbed me the wrong way. I ignored him for the vast majority of the game. I also liked Miranda much more this time.

Not like his boring rear end has anything interesting to say anyways. And some help he is. Facing a galaxy, civilization-ending conflict and "I'm gonna hang out in the hospital, we cool Shepard?" NO WE ARE NOT :argh:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was so pissed off that he never actually buys you a drink on the citadel. MOTHER FUCKER WE ARE HERE AND ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS THIS WOMAN YOU'VE KNOWN FOR FOUR MONTHS?

If this is rectified in the Citadel DLC which I'm about to play through I will probably explode. I really liked Jacob, even if he got uncomfortably informal.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Waltzing Along posted:

It's really weird. For the first couple missions and from the context of who they are, you'd think that Jacob would be the more open one, while Miranda would be more closed off/hostile, except for most of the game it's the other way around.

I actually think that reversal's kind of interesting and had some potential, although Bioware never really did anything with it.

Like, we know (now) that the Cerberus crew in ME2 was picked to give Shepard a positive vibe about Cerberus, right? So having Miranda start off cold and then abruptly switch to being very open (while still denying anything bad about Cerberus and not giving useful information) could be considered a nice subtle bit of characterization- she got a talking to from TIM about "Customer Appreciation". That's an interesting starting point, but it never goes anywhere. For all intents and purposes, Miranda is actually just a really nice, sociable person.

Same with Jacob. I mean, he seems to be set up as Miranda's nice counter-part- he's ex-Alliance, his motives are about helping people, he distrusts Cerberus and again, he's rather open and friendly up until after Freedom's Progress and the galaxy map opens up. As for not interesting- he was a loving space pirate how does he end up being so dull? He just kind of closes himself off, which isn't inherently a bad character, but in ME2's character roster being 'just a dude' doesn't really cut it, I guess.

kater posted:

I was so pissed off that he never actually buys you a drink on the citadel. MOTHER FUCKER WE ARE HERE AND ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS THIS WOMAN YOU'VE KNOWN FOR FOUR MONTHS?

If this is rectified in the Citadel DLC which I'm about to play through I will probably explode. I really liked Jacob, even if he got uncomfortably informal.

Some what. I know if you had a gal Shep who romanced him you can call him out, and either reconcile or not. I don't think a male or non-romanced female Shepard call him out on anything though.

either way you get to beat him at space-Rock 'em sock 'em robots in front of a bunch of orphan kids.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 30, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mazerunner posted:

Same with Jacob. I mean, he seems to be set up as Miranda's nice counter-part- he's ex-Alliance, his motives are about helping people, he distrusts Cerberus and again, he's rather open and friendly up until after Freedom's Progress and the galaxy map opens up. As for not interesting- he was a loving space pirate how does he end up being so dull? He just kind of closes himself off, which isn't inherently a bad character, but in ME2's character roster being 'just a dude' doesn't really cut it, I guess.

Well Miranda switches sides because she sees what the collectors did. Jacob is distrustful of Cerberus until IFF and then he is gung ho.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Some what. I know if you had a gal Shep who romanced him you can call him out, and either reconcile or not.

And leave his current gal a single-mom? drat Shep, you're heartless!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Lycus posted:

Actually, soldiers can't use SMGs, so it's impossible to carry every gun type in ME2.

Waltzing Along posted:

Um, it's actually really easy to avoid that as long as you always pick the middle options on the wheel instead of the top or bottom ones whenever you're talking to him.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 30, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Sorry, I was too busy being the baddest motherfucker in the room. :smug:

Soldier4Lyfe :black101:

Cross-posting (and adding to)my pro-novaguard rant in the Multi thread:

Ashley: Look out! Reapers! Gonna be a close one!

(Renegade interrupt)

Vanguard Femshep:

So you can reload quick and slow down time by getting yourself as excited as a little baby at a carnival, relying on guns so lovely even loving cerberus doesn't use them and taking cover like a prissy rabbit hides in it's hutch when a dog walks by. While you're doing that and putting "powers" on your guns because the only thing you can do is throw lead downfield hoping that your palsied hands can stay stable enough as you rely on your piss-poor skill at shooting people in the head because you just desperately need that damage bonus "boo hoo shep" you say, weeping bitter tears as you look upon my magnificence "but I need a headshot or they just don't die", or shooting at an enemy with a power so weak it makes them possibly fall over or, at the very most, explode in a small shower of blood that is so rare for you to see that it makes your shrivelled genitals all tingly for a split second. Pissing about with stagger and tech and all your other fey childlike powers while you ponce around like sex bots and goddamn volus for christsake or soldiers or snipers or the despised batarians trying to get an explosion or points or objectives challenges la di fuckin da.

I don't need guns, or upgrades, or research, or that stupid blue ball begging me to give him my fish so he can try, vainly try, to find a way to make me, biotic typhoon, destroyer of reapers, child of the gods of war and vengeance, a better specimen than I already am. You soldiers and infiltrators and goddamn geek sentinels and engineers hiding away in your ships trying to find "some way to beat the reapers" as you cry that they're too strong, as you weep for loved ones you have lost because you only have yourself to blame for not being a loving vanguard.

You can turn invisible, or you can pump yourself full of whatever watered down poo poo that passes for adrenaline so that you feel like you slowed down time. Big fuckin' deal. When I charge I create a force so massive and so dense that time itself slows down for me. See the difference? Einstein was right, but he wasn't talking about planets or any of that other inconsequential geek poo poo. I am the force that warps space and time and by my will alone, the gravitational force exists.

"ooooo shep but what about the insta-kills! you play too dangerously, haven't you heard about icarus?" ICARUS? The boy was weak, the boy was a fool. When you fly too close to the sun and the sun burns you, you burn it back. You hear that? YOU. BURN. IT. BACK. Banshee grabbing you? Awww poor soldier-boy, should have got out of cover once in your life, or did cowering like an old man hearing death at his door remind you of the shelter of your mothers arms when you were sucking at her tits last week? You get up off your feet soldier, you charge that bitch and nova like your life depended on it. Don't come crying to me when you can't kill two at once with nothing more than the sheer force of you punching the goddamn ground.

While you half-grown children are chasing your banners and URs I've got my eviscerator and I'm laying down the power of a thousand suns on the spawns and throwing myself at enemies even the krogan fear and then I'm winning gloriously free only to loving charge nova your girlfriends and wives over and over again who are just begging for a real goddamn hero of the reaper war.

I should go.

(And that is why you play a vanguard)

lenoon fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 30, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

lenoon posted:

(And that is why you play a vanguard)

RRAAAAHHH-AAAARRGGGHHH!!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Speech didn't end it "I should go" or "I've got to get back to it," B-.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Speech didn't end it "I should go" or "I've got to get back to it," B-.

Cheerfully corrected.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

lenoon posted:

Cheerfully corrected.

A+, see me after class (for sexy time)femshep-style sexual harassment.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Go wash the padding in your jockstrap, Vanguard Femshep scrambles up crumbling Asari ruins as pathetically as everybody else.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Waltzing Along posted:

Well Miranda switches sides because she sees what the collectors did. Jacob is distrustful of Cerberus until IFF and then he is gung ho.

Again, that's an interesting idea, but nothing is ever done with it. Miranda starts off cold, closed off and sort of robotical, then does a complete 180 after Freedom's Progress. We never see why, or which version of her is more 'natural', or have an in-game reconciliation between the two versions, or anything. Miranda in the prologue and Miranda in the rest of 2 and 3 might as well be different characters.

Jacob might be nominally distrusting of Cerberus, but again, he never actually does anything with it, and for most of the game it's like pulling teeth talking to him. You never get a chance to connect, or bond in your mutual Cerberus distrust, or whatever.

Chasiubao posted:

And leave his current gal a single-mom? drat Shep, you're heartless!

Nah, he still doesn't leave her, you just become friends again as opposed to slapping him and walking off pissed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ainsley McTree posted:

Engineers, Adepts, and Sentinels can only carry the SMG and pistol in ME2 (until the collector ship, which lets you choose one more). Infiltrators and Vanguards get a sniper rifle and shotgun, respectively, in addition to the SMG and pistol. Soldiers get access to all weapons from the start (except for the SMG, which they never get).

And even though all classes carried all weapons in ME1, they were only worth a drat if you had training in them, so there was no real reason to ever use them unless you planned to invest points in them (a dumb way to design an action RPG that i'm glad ME2 moved far, far away from)

What was really bad about that was that your squadmates weren't smart enough to only use what they were good at in ME1. Really glad they learned from that later on.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mazerunner posted:

Nah, he still doesn't leave her, you just become friends again as opposed to slapping him and walking off pissed.
This should be an option no matter who you romanced.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This should be an option no matter who you romanced.

That would be awesome. Romance Jack or Garrus, get in an argument and yell a bit then walk away in a huff; walk up to Jacob, slap him and walk away.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Again, that's an interesting idea, but nothing is ever done with it. Miranda starts off cold, closed off and sort of robotical, then does a complete 180 after Freedom's Progress. We never see why, or which version of her is more 'natural', or have an in-game reconciliation between the two versions, or anything. Miranda in the prologue and Miranda in the rest of 2 and 3 might as well be different characters.

Yeah, Miranda's sudden change between the prologue and the rest of the game was kind of jarring. I think maybe they wrote her as an ice queen who warms up and becomes more human as you romance her, but if you never romance her or even try to be friendly to her the sudden change makes no sense.

The part I hated was that you get to constantly tell her off early in the game, then suddenly that option just vanishes and you have to be her friend no matter what. With Jack I always got to go down to the hold and tell her to stop being a whiny baby and threaten her every time she brought up going on an evil-pirate-rampage. I run this ship military, drat it!

The option to call Miranda out on being a member of an evil racist terrorist organization and a complete narcissist all the way through the game would have made her a lot more tolerable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
They should redo the trilogy for the next gen, and make everyone romanceable regardless of gender. I predict terrible slashfic involving MaleShep and Garrus Yes, I realize this probably already exists somewhere

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm eagerly looking forward to the next Mass Effect game which will undoubtedly include cat-people aliens.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It will be MME the MMO. You too can be an Asari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should redo the trilogy for the next gen, and make everyone romanceable regardless of gender. I predict terrible slashfic involving MaleShep and Garrus Yes, I realize this probably already exists somewhere

Terribly written, but at least a good choice :shepface:

• Locked thread