Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Welp, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Hugo just climbed to the very top of his brand new 6ft cat tree, went "blerk!" and as my husband and I turned to look at him he power-spewed all the way down it, hitting almost every layer and the floor but somehow miraculously missing Decoy, who was asleep on one of the lower levels. After a moment of stunned silence, he did one final "blergh!" for good measure then huffed off.

He's fine, he just ate his food too quickly so at least he's not ACTUALLY sick but....dude, did you HAVE to climb up to the top of the tree before spewing everywhere? :gonk:

Oh, cats. They really know how to get attention. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ClearlyDeluded posted:

This seems to be par for the course with BCs, at least in my experience. Both of mine were friendly with me and my family, and cordial towards other people but basically didn't give much of a drat about them, whereas Barkyterrier wags himself to death when people so much as look at him. Or it could just be PUPPYTIME OMG LOLA WRESTLES ME! LET'S GO MENTAL! is more fun at the age she is.

Friendly to family/friends and cordial to strangers is pretty much my ideal dog :v: If she stays dog social that'd be awesome too, I just hope she isn't so dog social that I cease to exist around her.

WolfensteinBag posted:

I personally wouldn't wish it too soon. With how nervy and sensitive border collies can get, it probably means she's being socialized well and is comfortable enough she doesn't feel the need to cling to you. :3: Remember not to mistake insecurity for affection, this is how people end up with dogs with separation issues down the line. I'm sure as she gets older and you work with her more she'll bond to you more, but in the mean time be thrilled that she's social and confident and doesn't need a human crutch to feel secure. :) You're doing a great job!

Yeah, that's true. Lola was definitely clingier than the average puppy because of her nervousness - even at 8 weeks, she didn't want to go to other people, whereas Kalli is just like 'yo, whatever, lemme bite/sleep on you.' I do hope she's not a bundle of anxiety when she's older.

a life less posted:

This cat is trained better than my dogs.

http://youtu.be/UbvqSCs-FoE

And it's only 8 months old.

I want this cat.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My neighbordog is a working BC whose job is to chase deer and eat groundhogs that are in my landlord's plant nursery. He is very obsessed with chasing balls and killed 20 groundhogs last season. He also loves pets and is a total sweetie although pretty neurotic. He won't get into cars and will stare you down for hours if you have a ball and don't throw it. Also when we have our kids friends over outside to play he will barkbark bark at them and try to herd them.

Because we live on the other side of my landlord's 15 acre property and there are no fences, neighbordog wanders around free. Luckily he is BEST friends with our dog and they play biteyface and chase and love each other. My dog has never played so well with another dog so it's awesome that he has a friend next door. If only there were some fences to keep him out when we have stranger kids over it would be perfect.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction posted:

Yeah, that's true. Lola was definitely clingier than the average puppy because of her nervousness - even at 8 weeks, she didn't want to go to other people, whereas Kalli is just like 'yo, whatever, lemme bite/sleep on you.' I do hope she's not a bundle of anxiety when she's older.

We were so afraid that Sigma was going to be a standoffish rear end in a top hat because as a pup he would literally lay in a corner, facing away from us. Delta would come visit, and bother Sigma, and visit again, etc. But Sigma didn't want anything to do with us. Now he is totally in love with Matt but not separation-anxiety level, loves me a bit less, and doesn't want much to do with strangers except to run over just to say hi then run back to Matt or myself. Its great. When other people call him or Delta they don't even flick an ear :3: But they will go over and throw themselves against the persons' legs for scratches.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Does anyone near Maine want an ACD mix that was given zero training, socialization and exercise and is suddenly "too dangerous" to be around the new baby?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

My aunt always wonders why I randomly crack up when I look at Feldman. This is why:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

TVs Ian posted:

Does anyone near Maine want an ACD mix that was given zero training, socialization and exercise and is suddenly "too dangerous" to be around the new baby?

Are there any ACD rescues that could help? This group claims they work from Maine to Georgia (http://www.acdra.org/) and they seem like they'd be a decent group to get in contact with.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Speaking of cattledogs, there's a really cute series of photos on I Waste So Much Time of an ACD-looking pooch balancing all sorts of stuff on his head.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

a life less posted:

This cat is trained better than my dogs.

http://youtu.be/UbvqSCs-FoE

And it's only 8 months old.

Well that's it, I quit.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

^^ Why not suspend a series of hula-hoops at different levels and run Trophy through them?

Today I groomed a tripod ACD and got snorked on by a 4-month-old French Bulldog.

That is all.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
omg
http://www.bullysupplies.com/Heart_Of_a_RASTA_Tee_p/heartofarasta.htm

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The best part is the dog looks stoned as hell over all that pot.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
All of my apartment neighbordogs are completely great. The chi/jrt mix next door boof boofs at it's front door, is otherwise perfectly quiet. The upstairs neighbor has a Brown Dog that loves people watching from the balcony, never barks.

There's also this really nice old dude with two sweet elderly shelties. I want to pet them so bad but I feel awkward asking. :(

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Its been a total pain in the rear end stuffing sugar in Major's face hole and he has eaten/barfed up a maxi pad because of it but it seems to have really helped it heal nicely.

The thing barely looks like a horrifying face vagina at all anymore.

You can't see in the picture but it used to go way back into his neck and now the granulation tissue has almost totally filled in. I'm looking forward to the day when I no long accidentally stick my finger in it when petting him and I no longer have face drippings on all of my things.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I hate my neighbors so much. They have this gorgeous Dobie who I'm not sure if they're breeding, or what but sometimes she disappears for weeks at a time and comes home with teats. I've never seen her looking pregnant though... But anyways. This poor girl is completely undersocialized and barks all day, every day. I would love to approach her and show her that I'm not threatening, but she is so fearful that I think I would get bitten.

She gets out of her yard all the time, they don't keep it properly secured. Just now I had to throw on some shoes and run outside to make sure she got back in her yard safely. She got out into the alley and ended up across the street! Jeeesus. These idiots don't deserve a dog and I don't know what to do. Animal control's website says that animals that are suitable for adoption are given to the humane society, but I really don't know if she would pass their criteria or not, and I doubt they'd take her away anyhow. I can't prove anything.

I just want her to be in a happy, safe home where she doesn't run the constant risk of going for a solo walk and getting hit by a car :(

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

ok as much as i want to say everything there is ugly

http://www.bullysupplies.com/category_s/157.htm
iwant it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie lesson of the day: If you are lazy enough eventually it will come to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h5pdkNSqFI

Also: Have some belly.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm so pissed right now. Before Christmas I assisted in a puppy class. There was one puppy, some sort of possible border collie mutt, who was my absolute favorite. Her name was Lucy, she was the quiet, brilliant type with excellent focus. She was a little on the nervous side and wouldn't hesitate to reprimand the other puppies pretty harshly if they made her too uncomfortable. With some good, careful socialization and training she would have been a fantastic dog. I was so enamored with her I even offered to petsit if her owner ever needed it (and she did indeed ask me to petsit at the end of June). The owner was really nice, but... not that bright. She pretty much ignored any advice from the trainer regarding punishment and would smack Lucy for "misbehaving," so Lucy has bitten her twice now because she completely ignored her warning signals and pushed her.

So she surrendered her to the humane society today. The humane society told her, point blank, the dog would be killed. So now Lucy's likely sitting in bite quarantine awaiting the needle. I find out for sure tomorrow. I'm so pissed. That dog had a lot of potential, and now she's going to die because of one stupid person. :smith:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

So she surrendered her to the humane society today. The humane society told her, point blank, the dog would be killed. So now Lucy's likely sitting in bite quarantine awaiting the needle. I find out for sure tomorrow. I'm so pissed. That dog had a lot of potential, and now she's going to die because of one stupid person. :smith:

That's terrible, I'm so sorry. :( Is there anything you could possibly do? Can you contact the shelter as a trainer/rescuer to see if you can pull the dog to work on it? Sometimes they'll let rescues pull dogs that they normally wouldn't put up for adoption so long as you sign paperwork to that effect so they aren't liable for any behavior issues. (Isn't that what Super did with Griff?) It's so, so frustrating to see someone "working" with a dog that just throws on blinders to any good advice, but get mad and upset when pushing the dog around has negative consequences. I also hate it when people just glaze over obvious opportunities for real help just to be rid of their "problem". :( I'm so sorry about the poor girl. :sympathy:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is a real wonder that I get any work done with this cuteness occurring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZd5l2ocBw

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

WolfensteinBag posted:

That's terrible, I'm so sorry. :( Is there anything you could possibly do? Can you contact the shelter as a trainer/rescuer to see if you can pull the dog to work on it? Sometimes they'll let rescues pull dogs that they normally wouldn't put up for adoption so long as you sign paperwork to that effect so they aren't liable for any behavior issues. (Isn't that what Super did with Griff?) It's so, so frustrating to see someone "working" with a dog that just throws on blinders to any good advice, but get mad and upset when pushing the dog around has negative consequences. I also hate it when people just glaze over obvious opportunities for real help just to be rid of their "problem". :( I'm so sorry about the poor girl. :sympathy:

Yup, that's exactly what happened with Griff. They had a few rescues refuse her because she panicked at them in her kennel (she has massive issues with confinement and goes to total lockdown self preservation mode when she feels "cornered" by being locked in a crate or kennel and starts verbally raging at people if she isn't given the cues I've taught her to help her calm down) and they were going to just euth her but then some rescue ladies talked a behaviorist into evaluating her and managed to buy her a few extra days. I had to say I was affiliated with a certain rescue in order to get her, and I had to sign a waiver saying I couldn't sue AC if she murdered and ate me.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I need to find someone to take me to a nearby annual summer show (and someone else to watch the dogs). They have livestock shows, sheepdog trials and terrier racing! :byodame:

If it was taking place in my town I'd totally enter Lola in the race, but I don't think she'd do well dealing with a full day around strange people/dogs and then being unleashed with a bunch of terriers to (try to) catch a thing.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

WolfensteinBag posted:

The lady I did my internship with is the behavior leader there. I told her about it and she's going to look into and work with her if she can. However, I haven't seen this dog since before Christmas, so I don't know how much of her behavior is the fault of the owner (but I'm betting a good chunk of it is) and how much had developed on its own. Her last bite was somewhat concerning because she did land several bites in a row, though she did use some inhibition. I personally can't do anything because I'm staying up in Vermont until the 21st, and will be busy until I move back to Arkansas mid-June.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Skizzles posted:

The lady I did my internship with is the behavior leader there. I told her about it and she's going to look into and work with her if she can. However, I haven't seen this dog since before Christmas, so I don't know how much of her behavior is the fault of the owner (but I'm betting a good chunk of it is) and how much had developed on its own. Her last bite was somewhat concerning because she did land several bites in a row, though she did use some inhibition. I personally can't do anything because I'm staying up in Vermont until the 21st, and will be busy until I move back to Arkansas mid-June.

Where in VT are you staying? If you like traditional working farms and stuff you should try to get to Shelburne Farms or Billings Farm & Museum. Billings Farm even has the oldest registered herd of Jerseys in the country! If only we could live as well as those cows do. http://www.billingsfarm.org/jersey_breeder/index.html

Edit: Sorry. I didn't mean to derail but Vermont is a happy place and you should enjoy it.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Fraction posted:

I need to find someone to take me to a nearby annual summer show (and someone else to watch the dogs). They have livestock shows, sheepdog trials and terrier racing! :byodame:

If it was taking place in my town I'd totally enter Lola in the race, but I don't think she'd do well dealing with a full day around strange people/dogs and then being unleashed with a bunch of terriers to (try to) catch a thing.

Woah where's this now?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

ClearlyDeluded posted:

Woah where's this now?

It's the Gargrave Show, 14th July.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Where in VT are you staying? If you like traditional working farms and stuff you should try to get to Shelburne Farms or Billings Farm & Museum. Billings Farm even has the oldest registered herd of Jerseys in the country! If only we could live as well as those cows do. http://www.billingsfarm.org/jersey_breeder/index.html

Edit: Sorry. I didn't mean to derail but Vermont is a happy place and you should enjoy it.

I'm staying in Norwich, actually. :D We might check out the Billings one, we'll see.

edit: Oh man they're having a sheep herding event with border collies this weekend, we will probably totally go to that. :neckbeard:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2013

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Skizzles posted:

I'm staying in Norwich, actually. :D We might check out the Billings one, we'll see.

edit: Oh man they're having a sheep herding event with border collies this weekend, we will probably totally go to that. :neckbeard:

Hooray! Pet lots of velvety noses for me and tell the cows that I miss them and will see them soon. Also don't miss Queechee Gorge and if you're into Scottish textiles, stop by Scotland by the Yard. It's just off Rt. 4.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh man, I love Celt stuff. Totally gonna hit up both of those places.

Also here, PI, for content have a picture of the border collie belonging to the friend I'm staying with. :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Haha oh my God Shilo Shepherd people are the worst

quote:

Do you remember a specific 'German Shepherd' you used to know as a child (or if you are under 40) one that your family or friends told you about? He was the dog with that super, almost human intelligence; that big family protector that was so very gentle with little children, yet would give his life for his master without question.

The dog that would walk you to the school bus, and then show up again exactly on time to wait for your return; the hero that everyone talked about; the one that seemed half human. His personality consisted of Lassie, Strongheart, and Rin Tin Tin all rolled into one.

Well, that dog is still here today, and he is called a SHILOH SHEPHERD™!
:lol:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I really love intersting mixes :3: What is this guy, Lab x GSD x something with long fur?

Shiloh Shepherd bah.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I have a Shiloh Shepherd in one of my lower level agility classes, and he's kind of awesome. He's a stunner to look at, and is a total sweetheart. He's also almost completely driveless, and it's hilarious watching him duck through tunnels and step over jumps at a walking pace. I don't much care for the breeding program, but I can see the initial appeal these dogs have for people.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sure, they're basically doodles for people who like the GSD look.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

Sure, they're basically doodles for people who like the GSD look.

And don't like hip sockets.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Well it's not like labs and goldens are shining examples of good hips either...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Haha oh my God Shilo Shepherd people are the worst

:lol:

Hahaha I remember reading that before. It's like these people have memories of huge dogs and want to remake them, but completely forget they were little 6 year olds at the time. :rolleyes:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I am going to be doing field research in Northern Russia in about a year. I cannot get another puppy because I will be gone right as it turns a year old and hits malamute hyperactivity overdrive. I would be leaving my husband with two high energy dogs. It would be a Bad Idea.

I want a puppy so god damned bad :(

Friends of mine just adopted some sort of generic short haired mutt and now I have puppy fever but bad. Tell me this is a terrible idea. (it is a terrible idea.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Get a puppy. Get a puppy.

Get a puppy

I'm sure your husband won't mind :iamafag:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Get the puppy and then run off to Russia with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Please accept this CalArts student's amazing animation as evidence that Bostons are the weirdest good dogs:

Omelette

She even included the butt swirlies.

• Locked thread