Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Goo posted:

Setpoint profile talk

As much as I like the look of the new setpoint software, I can't get over the fact that I cannot simply add multiple applications to the same profile (or did I miss that option somehow?).

I have owned almost every gaming mouse from you guys, and I have tried many other gaming mice, but you guys definitely are the best in my book. Still, as much as I love the new G700S, the inflexiblity of associating one profile for multiple applications is a real bummer coming from the older setpoint versions.

I usually just have to add a new game to a dedicated gaming profile, but now it seems that I have to create a new profile (as a duplicate of some other game) for the new game. Not only is this extremely clumsy, but it also make the profile list unnecessarily huge over time.

Am I just missing some really obvious way to create a "gaming profile" and add applications to it?

Couple more setpoint questions:

1. If set to automatic game detection, why is it that we loose the ability to bind a button to switch profile? I was hoping to just manually switch to a single gaming profile whenever I game (due to the above mentioned profile issues), but there appears to be no way to bind a button to switch profile. Yet there are 3 different types of mappings for DPI...

2. If set to on board memory, why is it that we can't enable the "acceleration"? This maybe a bug, but I seem to be able to enable acceleration in on board memory mode if I toggle between the on board memory and automatic game detection mode, if the default profile in automatic game detection mode is set to have acceleration enabled.

thanks much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only problem I have with Logitech Gaming Software on my G700 is that it's such a dark application that I have to lean in to be sure I'm selecting the right button to edit on what is essentially a really dark picture of my mouse. Maybe that's just me and my old people eyes though.

Get outta here grampa! GAMING SOFTWARE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE!!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
So far, the issues I've had with LGS(using G600) is that I can't just copy and paste stuff between profiles; I'd like to set a base configuration, then modify it for the other modes or profiles, but no, I have to set every single key individually, again. The other thing was that the "mode wheel" icon or whatever was confusing because it originally looked like it was for LED lighting modes and not for three separate keysets, so when I was trying to change lighting options, nothing was making sense.

So far, the best software I've dealt with (that I can remember) was for the Nostromo N52s when Belkin was in control of them. That, or being able to set stuff on the fly without futzing with software at all with the Microsoft Strategic Commander, which was amazing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

duckfarts posted:

So far, the issues I've had with LGS(using G600) is that I can't just copy and paste stuff between profiles; I'd like to set a base configuration, then modify it for the other modes or profiles, but no, I have to set every single key individually, again.

Actually, there's an option to make new profile start as a copy of an existing one (sorry for the moonspeak):

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Is there a way to actually just add application to an existing profile though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My G9 is finally dying so I guess it's time to look for an upgrade. I guess everone is on the G700 train now? I notice the G9X isn't available anymore except in the CoD edition (which itself is backordered) so that sucks. I'm guessing the G700S is slightly better than the G700 but I know of a few places clearing out their G700 stock for about $59 so I imagine the new version isn't literally twice as good as the old one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Or g500(s) if you don't care about wireless

Yeah the s models are just incremental improvements that I think are for market reasons as much as anything, which really is a testament to how good the line was already

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 24, 2013

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

lethial posted:

Is there a way to actually just add application to an existing profile though?

There is currently no way to assign multiple exes to a single profile.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is the G700 supposed to not be used wirelessly or something? Every time the mouse goes to sleep LGS sets the sensitivity to 200 and doesn't let me change it unless I unplug the receiver and plug it back in again.

e: Setpoint 6.32 works perfectly fine, welp.

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 26, 2013

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I'll forward the question to the LGS team to see if there's a problem and where it is. Couple questions - Is it when the mouse goes to sleep or the PC? Also are you in onboard memory mode or automatic game detection mode?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Onboard memory, when I don't touch the mouse for a bit it just spazzes out. I believe there's an active forum topic on the logitech boards as well. I might try uninstalling all my Logitech software and reinstalling LGS later and see if that works.

Eej fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 26, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
What's the consensus on the G500? I currently have a Razer Lachesis and I don't mind it, but I feel I'd like a claw type mouse better. I have this little mouse kicking around:

And I really like the hand positioning of it (obviously it's way to small to be comfortable and it's a poo poo mouse)...But is this a claw type mouse? What type of mouse is similar?

Also, whilst I'm on a question asking spree, what's a decent mouse-pad? I'm currently using a lovely $2 cloth one, which is fine I guess, but I wonder if a mouse pad is like a TN vs IPS monitor, you don't know what you're missing out on 'till you try it out.

I should note I do game, but I generally use my xbox controller - so gaming buttons and whatnot isn't a huge concern.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Guni posted:

Also, whilst I'm on a question asking spree, what's a decent mouse-pad? I'm currently using a lovely $2 cloth one, which is fine I guess, but I wonder if a mouse pad is like a TN vs IPS monitor, you don't know what you're missing out on 'till you try it out.
Everybody's going to have a different opinion on what they value in a mouse pad, like everything else in this thread. I'll just say that I experimented with many different mice and mouse pads and came to the conclusion that I value low friction over anything else; in other words, I want to feel the mouse pad and the desk beneath as little as possible as I glide the mouse around.

This led me to stick with the Puretrak Talent mouse pad. It's pretty huge but they might have some smaller versions by now if its too big for you. I have a Steelseries QCK Heavy as well that was pretty close in terms of glide, cushion, and size.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Guni posted:

What's the consensus on the G500? I currently have a Razer Lachesis and I don't mind it, but I feel I'd like a claw type mouse better. I have this little mouse kicking around:

And I really like the hand positioning of it (obviously it's way to small to be comfortable and it's a poo poo mouse)...But is this a claw type mouse? What type of mouse is similar?

I should note I do game, but I generally use my xbox controller - so gaming buttons and whatnot isn't a huge concern.

I got a G500 for Xmas and I absolutely love it, but I am a palm-gripper and it does seem like it's most comfortably built for that grip.

As for mouse pads, it's probably going to vary a bit from mouse to mouse, but I also recently got a SteelSeries 4HD hard pad and it works very well with my G500, far better than the crappy generic cloth ones I am used to using. I agree that this is going to be very much a matter of preference though.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
So I'm sure this has come up a bunch in this thread but It's quite long and didn't see it in the OP...

Any other lefties out there? Why does nobody make a decent left handed mouse? I found some made my razer but they seem like just just pedal out crap with cool designs.

I just want a mouse that fits my LEFT hand with a few buttons on the RIGHT side. Am I just better off getting something that's made for both hands?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Goo posted:

There is currently no way to assign multiple exes to a single profile.

Doh! Is there a plan to add that feature in the future? Or maybe let acceleration setting to be allowed to be saved on the mouse themselves?

thanks much!

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I don't recall that acceleration has never been stored onboard, I don't think it's a good plan to do so as that's a feature of the OS driver, not the mouse. Putting a custom acceleration curve in the mouse would play all kinds of havoc with tracking if you later changed the curve in the OS. I could be wrong and SetPoint may have done this, but it seems like a bad idea to me. I don't have a mouse that works with SetPoint in my hotel to check, though.

I can't discuss specific future plans. There are many feature requests in the queue for LGS. This does not seem like a request that has widespread urgency behind it.

We made a left-handed version of the M610, but at this point we have no left-handed mice. Left-handed mice historically sell at volumes significantly lower than the percentage of left-handed people in the world would suggest. Most left-handed people either buy an ambidextrous mouse or have acclimated to right-handed mice. There just aren't enough people who will actually buy a left-handed mouse to support a significant amount of development of left-handed variants.

Goo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 28, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

M510 with Unified receiver + IOGear KVM = complete fail. If I plug into the mouse port, it doesn't work. If I plug it into the keyboard port and the keyboard into the mouse, both don't work. Plugged directly into Mac works fine but that isn't what I need.

So I returned it and got the M310 with the nano receiver instead and it works fine. Annoying though since all the high end Logitech wireless seem to use the Unified receiver.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

smackfu posted:

M510 with Unified receiver + IOGear KVM = complete fail. If I plug into the mouse port, it doesn't work. If I plug it into the keyboard port and the keyboard into the mouse, both don't work. Plugged directly into Mac works fine but that isn't what I need.

So I returned it and got the M310 with the nano receiver instead and it works fine. Annoying though since all the high end Logitech wireless seem to use the Unified receiver.

USB KVM switches are generally not passthroughs. They act as a USB host and enumerate the USB device (in this case the receiver) and then send whatever they receive from that device through to the other side - kind of like a translator or repeater. This allows them to avoid re-enumerating every single time the thing is switched from one host to another.

In your KVM's case, because it asks you to plug the mouse and keyboard into specific ports it's looking for a generic mouse or keyboard type to enumerate on that port. Unifying receivers enumerate as both a keyboard and a mouse because Unifying is a single-receiver solution for a keyboard plus a mouse or multiples of either. If the KVM doesn't support that, or doesn't understand the concept of a compound device, it won't work - as you've discovered.

You've already got a solution, so this information won't be immediately helpful, but at least hopefully it gives more insight into what's going on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting. That also explains why people who did get it to work, by disabling mouse mode on the KVM and plugging in a USB hub and then plugging everything into that, has a delay when switching.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I'm considering moving to a Cyborg Rat 7 because holy crap customization (mostly the pinkie rest). Anyone here using one? Would you recommend for or against it? I've been using a G500 for a few years now and it's great but I get a little crampy after a bit. I don't have freaknormous hands but they're bigger than average I guess; I'm usually the fingergrip type.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Goo posted:

I don't recall that acceleration has never been stored onboard, I don't think it's a good plan to do so as that's a feature of the OS driver, not the mouse. Putting a custom acceleration curve in the mouse would play all kinds of havoc with tracking if you later changed the curve in the OS. I could be wrong and SetPoint may have done this, but it seems like a bad idea to me. I don't have a mouse that works with SetPoint in my hotel to check, though.

I can't discuss specific future plans. There are many feature requests in the queue for LGS. This does not seem like a request that has widespread urgency behind it.

We made a left-handed version of the M610, but at this point we have no left-handed mice. Left-handed mice historically sell at volumes significantly lower than the percentage of left-handed people in the world would suggest. Most left-handed people either buy an ambidextrous mouse or have acclimated to right-handed mice. There just aren't enough people who will actually buy a left-handed mouse to support a significant amount of development of left-handed variants.

Thank you for the explanation. How about a way to assign a button to switch through a certain number of presets in the "computer controlled" mode? That would solve the issue of using one profile for multiple applications.

thanks no matter what though!

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
So how has wireless technology come in terms of lag, etc? I haven't needed a new mouse in a number of years and I remember wired was still noticeably superior. How does the Performance MX stack up against wired mice in terms of response delay and what not?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

lethial posted:

Thank you for the explanation. How about a way to assign a button to switch through a certain number of presets in the "computer controlled" mode? That would solve the issue of using one profile for multiple applications.

thanks no matter what though!

There is a feature called profile cycling that lets you cycle through multiple profiles assigned to the same EXE, but it's not possible to make profiles without an EXE assigned (i.e. multiple "Default Profiles").

Performance MX (all Unifying mice, really) have a pretty robust wireless connection in terms of collisions, interference, frequency hopping, dropped packets, range, and so forth. They are limited by the receiver's design to a minimum of 8ms report rate, while gaming receivers go down to 1ms.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks again for the help. But may I ask why you guys decided to handle profiles like this? It really is very inconvenient to the end user IMHO.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Can anyone explain why there is such a stark difference in using my G500 between Windows 7 and OS X (Mountain Lion)? Is it the lack of mouse accel in OS X? I've installed drivers on the Mac side, but it just feels so weird... maybe I should post this in the Mac thread, but I figured someone here would have an idea.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

dox posted:

Can anyone explain why there is such a stark difference in using my G500 between Windows 7 and OS X (Mountain Lion)? Is it the lack of mouse accel in OS X? I've installed drivers on the Mac side, but it just feels so weird... maybe I should post this in the Mac thread, but I figured someone here would have an idea.

OSX mouse acceleration is completely wonky. There's shitloads of stuff out there about it:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=152576
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=194668
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/decelerate/id449448909?mt=12

you'll probably have to try a few things to see what you like. I'd try the second link first, that one claims to replicate Windows mouse feel in OSX.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am on a TV setup for a monitor and looking to go completely wireless/upgrade my mouse to something bigger that hopefully picks up from the receiver a little better.

My current mouse is an Logitech M305. This is an excellent budget wireless mouse, to begin with. It's a little small for my hand, but it stays charged for months after heavy use. The problem is that the signal from the receiver on my laptop seems to get blocked very easily--I can't keep the receiver under a table or anything or I will notice severe input lag. This wasn't an issue when I wasn't using an external monitor, but now that I am, well. I am moving on the 6th and would like a mouse where this isn't a problem.

I can't really afford to spend more than $60 on a mouse at this point and I'm not sure I'd want to if I could. Something with side buttons would be nice.

I am also on the market for my first ever wireless keyboard. The rules are about the same here, I don't need a bitchin' gamer board, but I have really no experience with wireless keyboards.

I am pretty loyal to Logitech, since most other brands seem to stop working after six months.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Not impressed with my G700. The scroll wheel rattles when I move the mouse left to right (not shaking, just normal movement), I can feel and hear it and it's crazy annoying. I kind of wonder if it has anything to do with why Newegg is unloading refurbished models so cheap. I guess I'll complain to Logitech directly first and see if they'll do anything.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The only good wheel ever is the one in the Razer Abyssus. Every wheel should be that wheel

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
^^^^^^
Naw. Zowie EC1 & EC2 wheels are more worthy of hyperbole.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Copper Vein posted:

^^^^^^
Naw. Zowie EC1 & EC2 wheels are more worthy of hyperbole.

Granted, I haven't used those, so I can't speak to them. But the Abyssus feels most like a normal mouse button out of anything I've used, while still having a very nice notchy/solid feel when scrolling

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The G600's mousewheel feels very nice. While I liked the G500's, it just accumulated filth in the little notches and it didn't feel like it clicked well enough. Downside to moving to the G600 from the 500 is that I can't just press a button and then spin my mousewheel.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I didn't see anyone post anything but does anyone know of a good left handed mouse?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

NOTinuyasha posted:

Not impressed with my G700. The scroll wheel rattles when I move the mouse left to right (not shaking, just normal movement), I can feel and hear it and it's crazy annoying. I kind of wonder if it has anything to do with why Newegg is unloading refurbished models so cheap. I guess I'll complain to Logitech directly first and see if they'll do anything.

I experienced the same thing when I checked out a G700 in the local electronics store. I asked a dude whether that was normal, he raised an eyebrow, fiddled around with it a bit, went to a back, got a new one, fiddled again and concluded "well, nope. Guess that one was broken.".

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

smarion2 posted:

I didn't see anyone post anything but does anyone know of a good left handed mouse?

Specifically left-handed or an ambidextrous mouse? For specifically left-handed mice, there's probably a website dedicated to that kinda stuff(also how you'd buy one too, I'd guess).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Razer makes a deathadder for lefties.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I experienced the same thing when I checked out a G700 in the local electronics store. I asked a dude whether that was normal, he raised an eyebrow, fiddled around with it a bit, went to a back, got a new one, fiddled again and concluded "well, nope. Guess that one was broken.".

Hmmm, that might just mean it only shows up after a bit of use, but not that they don't all do it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

chippy posted:

Hmmm, that might just mean it only shows up after a bit of use, but not that they don't all do it.

It was actually a refurb but it didn't look used at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

dox posted:

http://smoothmouse.com/

OSX has mouse acceleration, just a different curve than Windows, but it also has lag. SmoothMouse let's you choose your acceleration curve (or have none) and eliminates the lag.

SmoothMouse is still a work in progress, but overall it's the best option by far. I do get one bug where the graphical cursor becomes disjointed from the area that actually clicks after exiting one program that captures the cursor (and it's only that particular program, not others that also capture), but moving the cursor to two corners of the screen realigns it. The 4th tick (default I think) is the same as 6/11 for Windows.