Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I just use https://rainycafe.com. Works well and I don't need to download an app. Not quite white/brown noise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

clayburn posted:

I wasn't really aware there where different colors of noise until now. I'm mainly just looking for something that helps me sleep and helps the dog not hear the neighbors every time they breathe.

White noise is quite harsh and often more than what you need. It also does pink noise but from memory brown noise was the best for blocking background noise. You can also make it fade in and out but that's a useless feature. Plus I'm sure you can put the phone to sleep with the app on and it keeps working

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Storm sim is great. Adding and subtracting elements of a storm to create your own storm is more entertaining than you'd think.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Can anyone recommend an app that makes it so you are locked into one app? Company has an ipad as a user interface with software and we don't want customers fiddling with any other apps except for the one currently on the screen.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Peacebone posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that makes it so you are locked into one app? Company has an ipad as a user interface with software and we don't want customers fiddling with any other apps except for the one currently on the screen.

That's not possible for an App to do. What you want to use is called Guided Access.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#accessibility

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My darling, you need Guided Access.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ipad has a thing called "Guided Access" which lets you do that

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I just bought Tapatalk for my non-SA forum needs, only to find that there's a "Tapatalk 2" app. Anything in the new version to make an upgrade worthwhile?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Minidust posted:

So I just bought Tapatalk for my non-SA forum needs, only to find that there's a "Tapatalk 2" app. Anything in the new version to make an upgrade worthwhile?

You should use Awful, an app exclusively for the forums.

Edit: Wow I'm an idiot who can't read. Please ignore, it's early :shobon:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Google Now for iOS has just dropped!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Lexicon posted:

It's an update for the iOS google search app before anyone tries searching for now on the app store :)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

Just need to get a Jailbreak to integrate into iOS now.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Google Now is actually really amazing if you're heavily invested in Google's products (Gmail, Calendar, Search, etc)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Just need to get a Jailbreak to integrate into iOS now.

Waiting for someone with a bug up their rear end to get all lawsuity on Apple to force them to allow non-default apps to register as default. Microsoft had to learn that lesson, when is it Apple's turn. :colbert:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

maduin posted:

Google Now is actually really amazing if you're heavily invested in Google's products (Gmail, Calendar, Search, etc)

Yeah, this is pretty cool. Looking forward to using it more.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

Waiting for someone with a bug up their rear end to get all lawsuity on Apple to force them to allow non-default apps to register as default. Microsoft had to learn that lesson, when is it Apple's turn. :colbert:

Did they? I've got a WP7 device here and I can't even stop it using Bing for searches, let alone change the email client or browser.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

Did they? I've got a WP7 device here and I can't even stop it using Bing for searches, let alone change the email client or browser.

Well, their desktop OS does and it was a result of years of time in the courtroom. I've never used one of their phones.

Smartphones are still a fairly new thing, I suspect eventually some degree of flexibility will be mandated.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well, their desktop OS does and it was a result of years of time in the courtroom. I've never used one of their phones.

Smartphones are still a fairly new thing, I suspect eventually some degree of flexibility will be mandated.

Those court battles only came about because Microsoft had a near-monopoly on desktop computer operating systems, and they were accused of using that monopoly to gain an unfair advantage for Internet Explorer. If Windows wasn't so dominant, they probably wouldn't have been forced to change anything. Apple doesn't even have the highest market share among mobile OSs. It's a very different situation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, but Google is starting to take some heat for their practices with Android. All it takes is one company to get hauled into court and the rest will fall into line.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well, it was also possible to change the default browser, and app related to each filetype long before those court cases ever came about. The trials were about abuse of monopoly to preload software, not preventing other software from being manually set as defaults. As you can already use alternative browsers (albeit not as default) and the app stores for each device actively promote and distribute these alternatives I don't think there's really any kind of antitrust suit to be levied.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, but Google is starting to take some heat for their practices with Android. All it takes is one company to get hauled into court and the rest will fall into line.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if something eventually forces Apple's hand when it comes to setting default apps. My point was really that this is a very different situation than Windows in the 90s, so you can't really look at the Microsoft situation and say that the same thing will happen to Apple (which isn't really what you said anyway, but I've heard it before).

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Any ideas how to get IFTTT to post on a friend's facebook wall. I have a Google Calendar to Facebook recipe set up for friends' birthdays. The posted text has "@[username] Happy Birthday", however what gets posted is literally "@Kruxy Happy Birthday". The at sign gets written out instead of transforming the subsequent username into a tagged link.

Would it work if the at sign was part of the [username] ingredient that was being entered into the status?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don't wanna be "that guy" when it comes to automating that kinda stuff - but if your friends are worth wishing a happy birthday to then isn't using IFTTT to send a generic message to each of them pretty cold and emotionless?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don't wanna be "that guy" when it comes to automating that kinda stuff - but if your friends are worth wishing a happy birthday to then isn't using IFTTT to send a generic message to each of them pretty cold and emotionless?

Agreed. I'm all for automation, but this has a pretty big downside-risk of embarrassment when inevitably an API changes or something and you accidentally post using a visible template or an unnatural formal first name. "Happy Birthday $FRIEND_NAME!" etc.

edit: just do what the rest of us do: add birthdays to your contact cards and consume that info via your calendar app. Meatware for the facebook posting.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 29, 2013

kusimuna
Mar 25, 2008

Chillin like a villain.
I'm looking for a camera app that does the following: I want to set the focus and exposure of my shot first and after that a timer goes on for about a minute and after that the camera takes a photo every few seconds for a minute. Quite a few camera apps do slow bursts / multi-shots and timers really well, but so far I haven't been able to find a one which does them simultaneously.. Any recommendations?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone have any idea why when I search for NSFW tags on the tumblr app, that it says "no posts found"? Yet if I search the same tags directly through the website on the phone they come up?

It's like the app is censoring my searches, yet I can't find anywhere that would remove the censor.

From a few days back, but I'd guess that the app itself blocks adult content as a condition of being on the app store. Apple are really fussy about not allowing adult material onto the store, no matter how indirectly it arrives (yes, the irony of being able to find it with a built-in app like Safari doesn't register).

The forums app (Awful, which you should all be using!) was rejected from the store at one point because the reviewer stumbled across TCC. It got taken out, and then "accidentally" added back in later and subsequent reviewers haven't noticed :laugh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kusimuna posted:

I'm looking for a camera app that does the following: I want to set the focus and exposure of my shot first and after that a timer goes on for about a minute and after that the camera takes a photo every few seconds for a minute. Quite a few camera apps do slow bursts / multi-shots and timers really well, but so far I haven't been able to find a one which does them simultaneously.. Any recommendations?

A scripted camera app would be hot poo poo

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So essentially time-lapse photography?

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/time-lapse-photography-apps
I can't vouch for any of the apps listed here, but it might get you started!

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006
Defender of the Internets
Who wants to beta test my new iPhone app?
It's called Babatuba or 扒扒图吧.

Every goon willing to download it and beta test it, I'll refund your $0.99 purchase two-fold, via bitcoin or paypal.

It makes images like this one:

PM me or email: s at lambdal dot com

So, who wants to be first?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/babatuba/id629047928

(also made with the app)

Fingertips fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 30, 2013

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
What do I do with the collages?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

voltron posted:

The most epic avatars on the entire internet. :colbert:

Assuming the forum you use it on allows 5MB files.

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006

voltron posted:

Or threads like these:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546929

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fingertips posted:

Who wants to beta test my new iPhone app?
It's called Babatuba or 扒扒图吧.

Every goon willing to download it and beta test it, I'll refund your $0.99 purchase two-fold, via bitcoin or paypal.

It makes images like this one:

PM me or email: s at lambdal dot com

So, who wants to be first?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/babatuba/id629047928

[URL=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/babatuba/id629047928][timg]
(also made with the app)
Well I was bored so I got the app, and it does pretty much exactly what he says it does. Simple and sort of fun to play with. He really did PayPal me $2 too so there's that. I almost opted for the bitcoin just so I can say I have a fraction of one of those funny things but :effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

randyest posted:

Well I was bored so I got the app, and it does pretty much exactly what he says it does. Simple and sort of fun to play with. He really did PayPal me $2 too so there's that. I almost opted for the bitcoin just so I can say I have a fraction of one of those funny things but :effort:

Guess what, I was bored too and made a dumb javascript that will animate the vertical strips:

http://xzzy.org/pb/

The code is kind of poo poo but it works, and I guess functions as a high color animated gif.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's like a DIY Vine :D

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

Guess what, I was bored too and made a dumb javascript that will animate the vertical strips:

The code is kind of poo poo but it works, and I guess functions as a high color animated gif.

That is awesome! Can I use that to animate the image chain: http://www.babatuba.com/chain.html ?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

xzzy posted:

Haha nice. How can I use it to animate mine? (Or can i) I'll be honest I thought this app was dumb and useless but I've been having an inordinate amount of fun playing with it. It's so ... Simple yet amusing.

Quality is way better than vine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fingertips posted:

That is awesome! Can I use that to animate the image chain: http://www.babatuba.com/chain.html ?

Yeah, go ahead. Just change the image name in the index.html.

The javascript is really stupid though, I don't think you could embed it in a page and have it work. I was looking into more portable ways to do it but then I got called away to work. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I have downloaded it for the $2...actually mostly just cause the icon reminded me of Kirby.

Little critique of the app, it'd be nice to be able to compose more than the first collage. I'm on an iPad if that makes a difference. After shooting, hitting the Kirby looking guy just goes straight into recording again. And uh, I guess a save/discard option would be nice. Kind of annoying cleaning out my camera roll after a bunch of bad/accidental shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006

japtor posted:

I have downloaded it for the $2...actually mostly just cause the icon reminded me of Kirby.

Little critique of the app, it'd be nice to be able to compose more than the first collage. I'm on an iPad if that makes a difference. After shooting, hitting the Kirby looking guy just goes straight into recording again. And uh, I guess a save/discard option would be nice. Kind of annoying cleaning out my camera roll after a bunch of bad/accidental shoots.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you see yourself ever using this app on a regular basis to share moments with you friends / family?

• Locked thread