Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

teagone posted:

Transformers doesn't have kaiju or GDT.
No, but it's the same logic, where cool is based simply on what is technically in the movie and not how it's actually used. Not saying this movie might not be leagues better than any of the Transformers, but there being kaiju and mecha is not an argument in itself.

teagone posted:

Also, people complaining about the boat being used as a baseball bat defying physics is sad. Why can't you just enjoy fun things?

:smith:
I would love to. It's only because I don't find the rest fun or engrossing that I even notice stuff like that.

Hasters posted:

Yes, and those parts of it are fine; it's all the human bullshit that kills those movies.
Are you arguing for or against me here? Transformers is proof that simply judging a movie by its premise doesn't tell you much.

And just to be clear, I'm not completely writing off this movie based on what we've seen, it's just not grabbing me like I hoped it would. I would not mind at all if this was just a terrible (to me) trailer, and the actual movie is far superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No, but it's the same logic, where cool is based simply on what is technically in the movie and not how it's actually used. Not saying this movie might not be leagues better than any of the Transformers, but there being kaiju and mecha is not an argument in itself.

I was being facetious :shobon:

quote:

I would love to. It's only because I don't find the rest fun or engrossing that I even notice stuff like that.

Fair enough!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm sure the robots use AT Fields to hold their impromptu melee weapons together (would people really enjoy the movie more if something like that were inserted into it?)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You are a sick and demented freak. I don't know exactly how I feel about what they're doing with him in this movie though, the trailer doesn't really tell me enough.

They cast him against the type and he's playing a super serious scientist was the last thing I read.

porfiria posted:

I'm sure the robots use AT Fields to hold their impromptu melee weapons together (would people really enjoy the movie more if something like that were inserted into it?)

Yes, if only because it tells me the people making the movie went "so this obviously wouldn't work, let's add some flavor technobabble bullshit to at least justify it within our world"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

teagone posted:

I was being facetious :shobon:
Well, for any opinion one writes in a facetious fashion, there's always someone who would do it unironically. Sorry for assuming the worst.

teagone posted:

Fair enough!
We're terrible at this. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They cast him against the type and he's playing a super serious scientist was the last thing I read.
Yeah, that's what I heard as well. Doesn't come out particularly well in the trailer though to me, though maybe it was just a way of saying that he isn't Charlie from Always Sunny in a lab coat.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I really don't get the hang-up about this. In a world where monsters are pouring from the ocean, let's maybe go out on a speculative, world-building, branch and imagine that in addition to building enormous robots, they've also reinforced or redesigned how the boats that travel on the ocean full of monsters are built. I get that it can be jarring at first, but why not go with it instead of slamming the breaks on your suspension of disbelief?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Because you have to be completely insane to have that bother you. You can't talk to these people. Lets talk about trailers again and not Pacific Rim suspension of disbelief.

Trailer 2 for Now You See Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJNYYkkhzc

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
He's probably saying that the movie takes place in THIS reality, and by doing that by doing that, physics already exists. The boat already existed before all the scifi elements appear, therefore the boat would have to abide to the laws of physics. Unless there's some strange explanation such as, when a robot touches something it changes its physical properties, it has to.

I can see where he's coming from, even though I dont care.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

schwenz posted:

He's probably saying that the movie takes place in THIS reality, and by doing that by doing that, physics already exists. The boat already existed before all the scifi elements appear, therefore the boat would have to abide to the laws of physics. Unless there's some strange explanation such as, when a robot touches something it changes its physical properties, it has to.

This really is one of dumbest things to nitpick about the trailer. Why someone would have a problem with the ship not breaking while being swung is hilarious. Nothing against you and your post or anything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Holy poo poo, shut the gently caress up about boat physics already.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

So they're actual wizards, right? Because at the end of that trailer they literally turn into money while jumping off a building.

I'm pretty sure that smoke and mirrors wouldn't be enough.

Also, I've started to wonder about Pacific Rim's future financial success. It has a lot of Internet Hype, yes, but as we all know, Internet Hype doesn't always translate into real dollars. Plus, it's directed by Guillermo Del Toro, who's yet to have a really big success, not to mention the fact that it's not an adaptation of something previously popular.

What I'm saying is that I could see it not doing very well at all.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Supposedly the thing tested amazingly, they're already considering sequels, and are high on the film. It'll do swimmingly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thet0wer posted:

So they're actual wizards, right? Because at the end of that trailer they literally turn into money while jumping off a building.

I'm weirdly interested in this film, but yeah, they can't be anything other than actual wizards.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm weirdly interested in this film, but yeah, they can't be anything other than actual wizards.

It's got a really solid cast and the trailers have been fun so I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Or they could be the literal the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 1, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

High Warlord Zog posted:

Or they could be the literal the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

I'm thinking:

They're 4 street magicians (like Morgan Freeman says) but that they sell their soul to Freeman (the devil) for their newfound magic abilities. Unfortunately they've unwittingly put themselves into the role of the literal 4 horsemen and now realize, maybe a little too late, that they're in the a bigger battle for "good and evil" and try to undo what they've done.

God I hope not, but I get that vibe from the trailer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BonoMan posted:

I'm thinking:

They're 4 street magicians (like Morgan Freeman says) but that they sell their soul to Freeman (the devil) for their newfound magic abilities. Unfortunately they've unwittingly put themselves into the role of the literal 4 horsemen and now realize, maybe a little too late, that they're in the a bigger battle for "good and evil" and try to undo what they've done.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I'd watch the hell out of that movie.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

thet0wer posted:

I'm pretty sure that smoke and mirrors wouldn't be enough.

Also, I've started to wonder about Pacific Rim's future financial success. It has a lot of Internet Hype, yes, but as we all know, Internet Hype doesn't always translate into real dollars. Plus, it's directed by Guillermo Del Toro, who's yet to have a really big success, not to mention the fact that it's not an adaptation of something previously popular.

What I'm saying is that I could see it not doing very well at all.

The majority of my friends who I have seen the trailer with at the theater think it one of the stupidest looking movies they've ever seen. It definitely has it's target demographic, but I really doubt it's going to have any mainstream appeal. When it comes to giant robots punching things, Transformers had a lot more things going for it in terms of public appeal-- the already popular brand name, a more well known director, etc...

I hope it does well because I love Guillermo Del Toro, but I have serious doubts.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Big dumb action movies always have mainstream appeal, though. It'll get the mainstream crowds based on that alone, and word of mouth will probably draw the people who think they're too smart for it in.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

BonoMan posted:

I'm thinking:

It could be done badly but that sounds like a great concept.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Now You See Me looks like a Skyline-esque auteur venture from an effects studio that wants to show off how cool and creative their artists are, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is a little crazy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It's got a really solid cast and the trailers have been fun so I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

While the cast is great the talent behind the camera is not so much.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
A new WOLVERINE trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7bTYLzh_Fo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know it's Roland Emmerich, but this looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEPIfDaNk_M

I think Foxx and Tatum will probably make this more than worth seeing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
EDIT: Really? gently caress you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqCN2XHCTI

White House Down looks to break the Armageddon/Deep Impact rule by being twice as Armageddon as Olympus has Fallen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the screen grab on the 2nd link appears to be president Obama Foxx with a rocket launcher so I'm confident I don't actually need to see the trailer.

Aside from Godzilla, I love Emmerich. Fucker hates the White House / USA / Planet Earth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The first trailer played it straight.

The second trailer makes it look like a buddy cop film, but instead of cops, it's a secret service agent and THE PRESIDENT.

Regardless, i'm gonna go see it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonz posted:

The second trailer makes it look like a buddy cop film, but instead of cops, it's a secret service agent and THE PRESIDENT.

Secret Service applicant. Holy poo poo does it look fun or what?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

See, that's how you do it. Don't gently caress around, just go and make the President himself half of a wisecracking action duo. It's what the people want.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Gonz posted:

I'm surprised how this (looks like) carries such a different tone from Olympus Has Fallen. Also it seems like it's been a while since there's been a good "average joe vs. terrorists" kind of movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm surprised how this (looks like) carries such a different tone from Olympus Has Fallen. Also it seems like it's been a while since there's been a good "average joe vs. terrorists" kind of movie.

I thought Olumpus Has Fallen was a serviceable action film, but holy gently caress did it ever take itself waaaaaay too seriously, and was especially heavy-handed in the "HERF DERF AMERICUH! PATRIOTISM!" department.

White House Down looks:

#1: Way more awesome, on both the scope/scale front, and the special effects front

and

#2: Way more enjoyable on an acting front

Roland Emmerich is a cool dude who makes cool movies.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Gonz posted:

Roland Emmerich is a cool dude who makes cool movies.

Listen to this man, people - he will lead you well in life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He also makes some really terrible movies like how in 2012 he kills off the rival love interest for no reason other than it made it easier for John Cusack to get back together with his ex.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He also makes some really terrible movies like how in 2012 he kills off the rival love interest for no reason other than it made it easier for John Cusack to get back together with his ex.

That's an excellent screenwriting move, with precedent in Gone With the Wind

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Oh I absolutely agree. The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC and 2012 were hot garbage, and he's certainly not going to win any Oscars anytime soon, but for the most part, the guy gives people what they want in summer action flicks, and that's tons of poo poo blowing up intermixed with absurd CGI and big name actors. I can't fault him for that.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
So yeah, White House Down is pretty much the buddy action movie that I always dreamed of.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gonz posted:

Oh I absolutely agree. The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC and 2012 were hot garbage, and he's certainly not going to win any Oscars anytime soon, but for the most part, the guy gives people what they want in summer action flicks, and that's tons of poo poo blowing up intermixed with absurd CGI and big name actors. I can't fault him for that.

I don't care if he wins Oscars, I want him to make good summer action movies and he hasn't in a long-rear end time.

That being said this movie looks boss. It's already beaten Olympus Has Fallen by having waaayyy more interesting leads. If the movie has the easygoing charm it's exhibiting in that trailer I can't wait to see it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like a teaser more than anything. No dialogue but Wolverine is pissed his face got cut :clint:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Jamie Foxx's character in White House Down should have been named something like Brock Ameba. If you're gonna be shameless, then by God, be shameless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Secret Service applicant. Holy poo poo does it look fun or what?

I was pleased. Throwing the President in as the other part of the duo (but seems like a bumbling idiot) is brilliant.

• Locked thread