Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The latest CM10.1 nightlies have this built into the dialer.

Thanks to you and the others with suggestions. Mr number is doing the trick for now. I was hoping for some way to find the blocked number but I guess that's not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

mcpringles posted:

Is there any way to remove news items from Google Now? I searched for the LA Lakers to see if they were going to make the playoffs a few weeks back. GN keeps giving me cards with news stories about the Lakers (I hate the Lakers).

I've gone to the my stuff setting which doesn't list the Lakers as one of my teams. Whenever a news card comes up I click the information button and hit no when it asks if I want to receive updates on this topic.

Is there something I'm missing to remove this from my preferences?

I dunno, I keep getting scores from a bunch of teams I searched for once. I also hit the information button and "no" every time but they still keep coming back. (So in other words the same thing happens to me)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Is there an "agreed upon" app for keeping contact photos synced? I've never had much luck getting the right pics to show up so I just recently pretty much wiped out my years old Google contacts and am starting fresh.

I downloaded and ran UberSync for Facebook and it works well enough - my contact photos are high res once they load but I don't really like that UberSync lists itself as part of the contact (like where you're viewing your contact and it shows you Facebook and Twitter and maybe your phones entry) rather than just making the pics look nice.

Is there an app that does this less obtrusively? Is there a way to sync these photos to Google contacts without manually downloading and adding them? am I an idiot?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

myron cope posted:

I dunno, I keep getting scores from a bunch of teams I searched for once. I also hit the information button and "no" every time but they still keep coming back. (So in other words the same thing happens to me)

Do you have multiple Android devices? I've heard it can be related to this.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Is there an "agreed upon" app for keeping contact photos synced? I've never had much luck getting the right pics to show up so I just recently pretty much wiped out my years old Google contacts and am starting fresh.

I downloaded and ran UberSync for Facebook and it works well enough - my contact photos are high res once they load but I don't really like that UberSync lists itself as part of the contact (like where you're viewing your contact and it shows you Facebook and Twitter and maybe your phones entry) rather than just making the pics look nice.

Is there an app that does this less obtrusively? Is there a way to sync these photos to Google contacts without manually downloading and adding them? am I an idiot?

Haxsync can pull profile photos from facebook and use them to replace your Google contacts photos if you want.

It will, however, show up as part of the contact at the bottom like UberSync does. Personally this doesn't bother me all that much, since it's down at the bottom, anyway, but it did at first and I do wish there were a way to disable it.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 30, 2013

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Would you say Haxsync is a better option than Ubersync? As far as I can tell Ubersync can't override Google contacts photos and I certainly don't want to have both apps clogging up my Connections doodad in the contacts whatsit

e: or will simply importing the contacts from android to Google achieve the same goal?

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 30, 2013

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks to whoever mentioned Expense Manager, it's really great so far. The only thing that is bothering me is that, even in the paid version, I can't seem to add recurring income. Am I missing something or is that functionality really not included?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Radbot posted:

Do you have multiple Android devices? I've heard it can be related to this.

Nope, but I use Chrome? I guess maybe it wants to learn and/or have me hit no more than once just so an accidental no doesn't disable a card you really do want to see?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Speaking of Google Now, is there any way to restrict public transit choices to show only subway/trains? I live in NYC and never take the bus but it only ever shows bus schedules. I could have sworn I saw this option in the previous version.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Would you say Haxsync is a better option than Ubersync? As far as I can tell Ubersync can't override Google contacts photos and I certainly don't want to have both apps clogging up my Connections doodad in the contacts whatsit

e: or will simply importing the contacts from android to Google achieve the same goal?

I used Ubersync for a while and couldn't find a way to have it override Google contacts photos. Maybe it can? I'm not sure. Then I bought Haxsync (it's a buck) and figured out how to do that very quickly. I just double-checked from the google contacts site on my computer, and they're all really there.

I suppose if I wanted I could just uninstall Haxsync right now and still retain all the photos, but, because I'm running stock 4.2.2, from which Google has removed the ability to sync Facebook contacts (wtf Google?), the Haxsync connection provides a useful link to my friends' facebook profiles (and, you can customize which app it uses, in case you use something other than the default facebook app).

It also allows you to change the "fuzziness" of the contact matching, and even manually manage your contacts, in case you have friends who still think it's cool to have Facebook names wildly different from their actual names.

Overall, I'm very happy with Haxsync (and I normally hate the idea of using a paid app when there's a free app available with similar functionality).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

drat, I love Google Now. Yesterday, I went to a local distillery for a bottling party, but wasn't sure how to get there. I googled it, but, of course, I forgot by the time I actually left my house. Fast forward 15min and I'm within a mile or two, but have no idea where to go. But, all was good because I loving knew that if I opened Now it would have what I needed to know, right there. So I did. And it did.

Tldr: Google Now helped me get drunk for free

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

I'm running stock 4.2.2, from which Google has removed the ability to sync Facebook contacts (wtf Google?)
Just to cover this, this feature still exists and Facebook can implement it any time they like. In early versions of Android there was a Facebook-specific implementation of contact syncing. Google replaced this with a generalised solution and Facebook refuse to use it because Facebook writing good code is not actually a thing that ever happens. This is the company who had to hack the actual Dalvik VM itself to get their app to work because when you have three million functions it causes some kind of buffer overflow. Three million functions. In an Android app. Really.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Tunga posted:

Just to cover this, this feature still exists and Facebook can implement it any time they like. In early versions of Android there was a Facebook-specific implementation of contact syncing. Google replaced this with a generalised solution and Facebook refuse to use it because Facebook writing good code is not actually a thing that ever happens. This is the company who had to hack the actual Dalvik VM itself to get their app to work because when you have three million functions it causes some kind of buffer overflow. Three million functions. In an Android app. Really.

Well, it was still lovely going from my cheap, awful Virgin Mobile phone running 2.3.7 to my shiny new Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 and seeing that I can no longer sync Facebook contacts directly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

This is the company who had to hack the actual Dalvik VM itself to get their app to work because when you have three million functions it causes some kind of buffer overflow. Three million functions. In an Android app. Really.
Which they called a good programming practice. I think they missed the point of "large numbers of small methods" and just went with the "large numbers" part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

To cover this further, this is generally only an issue for Nexus devices. OEM branded devices usually leave the functionality in to allow facebook to sync contact info.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Badly Jester posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned Expense Manager, it's really great so far. The only thing that is bothering me is that, even in the paid version, I can't seem to add recurring income. Am I missing something or is that functionality really not included?

There's a button for recurring at the bottom that I added my paycheck to, it gives you options for recurring debits or income. I only just installed the app but I think that's right.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there an app that will let me take a picture of a page of text with my Nexus 10 and then translate that into a text document? "picture to text" is just pulling up PDF creators that don't have that option.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

signalnoise posted:

Is there an app that will let me take a picture of a page of text with my Nexus 10 and then translate that into a text document? "picture to text" is just pulling up PDF creators that don't have that option.
There are some on the store but I can't speak to their effectiveness. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=OCR

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Mercury Hat posted:

There's a button for recurring at the bottom that I added my paycheck to, it gives you options for recurring debits or income. I only just installed the app but I think that's right.

Oh, jeezo, there's two different apps with the same name. :negative:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.expensemanager&hl=en and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.markushi.expensemanager

I got the latter and while the interface is really, really slick, I guess the other one has more useful functionality, at least for now. Seriously, why would you include "income management" as a premium feature and have users enter their paycheck every month? Then again, from their Google+ page, the devs seem somewhat active, I guess I'll take my bitching and moaning there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Any recommendations for an app that will automatically log me on to my work wifi? It makes me log in via a web frontend. I'd like to skip that step and I saw there were a few apps that look like they'd do it, but I was hoping someone had some first-hand experience with one.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

dik-dik posted:

I used Ubersync for a while and couldn't find a way to have it override Google contacts photos. Maybe it can? I'm not sure. Then I bought Haxsync (it's a buck) and figured out how to do that very quickly. I just double-checked from the google contacts site on my computer, and they're all really there.

I suppose if I wanted I could just uninstall Haxsync right now and still retain all the photos, but, because I'm running stock 4.2.2, from which Google has removed the ability to sync Facebook contacts (wtf Google?), the Haxsync connection provides a useful link to my friends' facebook profiles (and, you can customize which app it uses, in case you use something other than the default facebook app).

It also allows you to change the "fuzziness" of the contact matching, and even manually manage your contacts, in case you have friends who still think it's cool to have Facebook names wildly different from their actual names.

Overall, I'm very happy with Haxsync (and I normally hate the idea of using a paid app when there's a free app available with similar functionality).

So if you uninstall Haxsync, the photos and details will still exist on the contact? I tried a few other apps and the synced photos disappeared on uninstall.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Google Drive is supposed to do OCR, and I remember doing it when it was Docs, but I can't figure it out now.

e: durrr, just check the box at the bottom.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Badly Jester posted:

Oh, jeezo, there's two different apps with the same name. :negative:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.expensemanager&hl=en and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.markushi.expensemanager

I got the latter and while the interface is really, really slick, I guess the other one has more useful functionality, at least for now. Seriously, why would you include "income management" as a premium feature and have users enter their paycheck every month? Then again, from their Google+ page, the devs seem somewhat active, I guess I'll take my bitching and moaning there.

Oh, weird. Yeah, I'm using the first one, sorry.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Which they called a good programming practice. I think they missed the point of "large numbers of small methods" and just went with the "large numbers" part.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

What in the gently caress is going on in the diagram? It looks like Facebook rolled up a dude in a rug and ejected him from the Android circle. If I ever have to work on anything that has three million methods I'm going to eat a gun. Like, literally take apart the gun and eat the pieces. Then shoot myself.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Google Drive is supposed to do OCR, and I remember doing it when it was Docs, but I can't figure it out now.

e: durrr, just check the box at the bottom.

Thanks for this, ocr is the term I needed

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

For anyone else who uses Poweramp, I was looking through skins to see if they really were all terrible except for the ICS skin/widget combo and I ran into this Metro skin: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ikorolkov.poweramp.skins.simplex.albo&hl=en

I think it looks pretty decent, although it might just be because all the other stuff I saw was so much worse. My only complaint after using it for a few days is that the previous track/play/next track buttons seem squished a little, like they're not displaying properly. It's just noticeable enough to bug me, but not so much that I'd uninstall the skin. One of the recent reviews seems to agree with me as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wonder if the three million method count is the result of some automated code generation tool. It would seem like Facebook to eschew writing native apps the usual way and write them using something that eats PHP or maybe LOGO and poops Dalvik bytecode.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just can't wrap my head around an app having 3M methods. Even with all that FB does, you can only break problems down so far before you're hitting diminishing returns, and that actually happens faster than people imagine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I wonder if the three million method count is the result of some automated code generation tool. It would seem like Facebook to eschew writing native apps the usual way and write them using something that eats PHP or maybe LOGO and poops Dalvik bytecode.
I was going to make a joke about how the whole thing was written in PHP, but the average PHP programmer doesn't even know what an object is, much less a method and they're too busy storing passwords in plaintext and writing queries that use unfiltered user input to care.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was going to make a joke about how the whole thing was written in PHP, but the average PHP programmer doesn't even know what an object is, much less a method and they're too busy storing passwords in plaintext and writing queries that use unfiltered user input to care.

I was alluding to the fact that Facebook actually has written a virtual machine called HipHop & compiler that generates HipHop bytecode from PHP to run its site. This is actually the second generation of such a thing; previously HipHop translated PHP to C++ and then compiled it to native code.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I was alluding to the fact that Facebook actually has written a virtual machine called HipHop & compiler that generates HipHop bytecode from PHP to run its site. This is actually the second generation of such a thing; previously HipHop translated PHP to C++ and then compiled it to native code.
Jesus Christ that's like building some kind of apparatus that turns linear force into angular torque so you can put screws in with a hammer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

UncleGuito posted:

So if you uninstall Haxsync, the photos and details will still exist on the contact? I tried a few other apps and the synced photos disappeared on uninstall.

Yes! (I just tested it) This is because it actually edits your Google Contact info. Note that you have to enable "update photos of Google Contacts" for this to work (System Settings>Accounts>HaxSync>Advanced>Contact Settings>Contact Images).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What's the go to twitter app these days? Besides the official one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm partial to Falcon Pro. It's not as feature rich as Plume but it's way more aesthetically pleasing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mega Comrade posted:

Twicca is the best imho.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there an app that allows me to do all my messaging in one place (Facebook, SMS, and MMS), but have separate ringtones for each type of message? I'm cool with SMS and MMS have the same ringtone if need be as long as I can specifically silence facebook messages while leaving SMS notification sounds in tact.

Oh, I'm running stock (rooted) JB on a Nexus 4.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone have trouble tagging their location with Falcon Pro? I hit the little location button on my tweets, a toast pops up saying it's attaching my location to the post, then nothing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dik-dik posted:

Is there an app that allows me to do all my messaging in one place (Facebook, SMS, and MMS), but have separate ringtones for each type of message? I'm cool with SMS and MMS have the same ringtone if need be as long as I can specifically silence facebook messages while leaving SMS notification sounds in tact.

Oh, I'm running stock (rooted) JB on a Nexus 4.

Not that I'm aware of. Just use Facebook Messenger with the SMS option ticked and tell people to join the 21st century and stop using MMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

kitten smoothie posted:

Oh I was going to say 'look at the source for one of their desktop pages, how the hell can anyone read that poo poo never mind maintain it' but I guess you answered that question

• Locked thread